2017 Stockpile Lessons and Goals

Discussion in 'Stockpiling Guide & Discussions' started by Amalgamate, Mar 22, 2017.

Moderators: ~~WhoMe?~~
  1. Amalgamate

Amalgamate Active Member Trader Group

What are your goals for this year? What will you do the same or different, compared to previous years? And what did you learn last year?

I learned my husband doesn't use unfamiliar forms of veggies. For instance, he loves tomatoes in his eggs throughout the year, so I froze some in ice cube trays and dried others. He bought fresh and ignored the stored. He's really not picky and will eat the others when I fix them...he's just unsure of using them himself. So my goal this year is to teach my husband how to use preserved produce.

I hope to increase my toiletry stockpile. We typically keep 1-2 months of stuff on hand, and I'd like to expand that to at least 6 months.

Cathy likes this.
  2. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

I've come to a place in my life where I'm going to have to cut back for practical reasons on the amount of stuff I stockpile. Right now, I'm trying furiously to pare down. I'm sharing a lot of food, especially the past 4 months. I have found an outlet where I can put maybe 50 items a week in a certain place and there's a dozen regulars who come and go at this location and take what they need. I replenish when I see the need. Someone left a thank you note last month. He had no clue who was leaving the food. His words were touching.

That said, when CVS has a good Charmin deal, I'm all over it!

STallerico and jastwins like this.
  3. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

I am trying to stop stockpiling food items so much - not hba stuff. When it was all 5 of us here and I made big meals to feed us and extra kids with enough left for Hubs' lunch the next day, it was easy and necessary to justify the need for a big stockpile of canned goods, boxed mixes (brownies, cakes, etc.), lots of pasta and rice, etc. Now though, most of the time at least one of our sides is a fresh vegetable so I find it takes a very long time to use up canned or other non-perishables.

I have also quit buying as much meat to freeze as I once did and I have a new system I've implemented over the past year. If there is a good sale on meat for that week I buy it and cook it from fresh. If there are no good sales, I use something from the freezer. Of course there are exceptions when you find deals you can't pass up.

I have also been really diligent about using my freezer log. When something goes in, I record what it is, the date, how much and even the location in the freezer where I put it - all in a simple word file. When something gets taken out and used it's marked off. It has really been helpful.

The other day I saw a guy mention on a friend's FB page that he is still eating canned chili with a "use by" date of 2007 - yes, 10 years ago (he showed pics). He adamantly insisted it was as good as the day it was processed. I know stuff doesn't go bad the day after an expiration date - I have used yogurt that was still good months later - but no thanks to 10 year old food. He must be one frugal guy.

This is the link he cited: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sell-by-dates-have-little-to-do-with-food-safety-2013-09-19

STallerico and jastwins like this.
Moderators: ~~WhoMe?~~