User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Grocery Budget Challenge...Anyone Want to Join Me?

TRADER
    SPARKING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A Grocery Budget Challenge...Anyone Want to Join Me?

My name is Julie and I am very new to this site, a few days old actually.

I haven't couponed in years (15+/-). Didn't "need" to. Always had a set amount for food and stayed within that amount but things are getting tougher and with a semi-new DH (2 years now) we are trying to reduce whatever expense(s) we can as everything around us skyrockets.

This is my challenge. Last night I calculated we spent approximately $6535.00 on groceries and eating out for the entire year of 2007, although I think it's a little low. This year I want to cut that number in half. A little hard to do this late in the game as the year is almost halfway over and prices are on the increase for everything we purchase but it gave me a starting point. Here's how I came up with the numbers:

Cash on Groceries (estimated) - $500.00 (I used to only pay cash until around March when I got a new card that offered "cash back" on groceries)

Grocery Charges (beginning roughly in March) - 4230.40

Pizza Delivery (estimated - paid with cash from grocery funds) - $25.00 weekly X 35 weeks - $875.00

Misc. Cash Dinners - $150.00 (occassional sit down and fast food - most times this was taken directly out of the cash grocery fund but not all)

Fast Food - $5.00 per meal X 3 meals weekly @ 52 weeks = $780.00 (this is where I fall short - he probably ate out for lunch most days of the entire year while I was the occassional fast fooder.)

All that comes to $6535.00 and if I want to cut that in half that leaves me $3267.50. To date, I have already spent $2620.28 and still have a couple of grocery receipts that weren't on the statement I just paid (I pay it off in full so there are no interest charges.) That leaves me $647.22 for the rest of the year.

Having said all that, we have a small deep freeze that is literally stuffed to the top and so is the regular freezer. I have a custom made pantry that Emeril or Wolfgang would die for (3' deep shelves X 6' long with 4 shelves - all immaculately organized) and it is also stuffed, so much so that I fear for it's collapse! I also have some boxes filled in the lower sections of the floor.

Soooooo....I'm not sure if I can make it until the end of the year on $647.00 so I'm going to bump that number to $1000.00 (because of rising costs and my limited number of available coupons at the moment.) DH is with me and will eat whatever I serve, even if that means breakfast for dinner 2 or 3 times a week, but I have a huge stockpile that could get me through the majority of it while I take advantage of good coupon deals and our weekly grocery money sits in the bank earning interest (minus the small amount we bring home each week in cash for pizza and what-nots.)

Would anyone like to join me on an "End Of The Year Goal"? Possibly share how/what you are doing/eating to stretch that dollar? I would love a buddy or two, or three to help keep me on task and focused!

Thanks!
    Julie

TRADER
    SPARKING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A Grocery Budget Challenge...Anyone Want to Join Me?

I'm thinking about the challenge and it's a good one. I wanted to encourage you to read jane4girls blog about her YEARLY grocery budget of $800!!!! She started out with that much and STILL has over $800 left.

If I don't end up doing it, good luck and welcome.

TRADER
    SMOKIN'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jiji View Post
    I'm thinking about the challenge and it's a good one. I wanted to encourage you to read jane4girls blog about her YEARLY grocery budget of $800!!!! She started out with that much and STILL has over $800 left.

If I don't end up doing it, good luck and welcome.
    I second that read Jane4girls blog she rocks!!!

ETA: Welcome to the board by the way.

I love grocery challenges.
    Kroger Forum Mod Central

Co Mod Helping Hands
    We Care about you all
    My hopes and prayers wish list
    cori n wes mom gave generously in the Hot Coupon World HHH Auction!

TRADER
    SMOKIN'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely read Jane's blog. I started reading it daily in the last month and she inspires me in many ways. I've always wanted to ask her if she put her initial $800 in a savings account or a high yield account..?? She could make out even better. I'm doing that next year!!

You can do this. You can do it without feeding your family a lot of processed junk, too. In the last 3 months, I've spend less than $200 in groceries. I'm just starting with serious couponing at the grocery store so I have room to improve.

Good luck and keep checking back here. Shop at multiple stores in your area but try to keep it within your commuting.

TRADER
    FLAMING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard Julie! I was just going to tell you to read that blog. Its amazing. I actually just started saving all my receipts because I havent really had any budget and need to see how much Im spending, so Im in :)
    Cindi
    Mommy to Gabby
    Getting back into the swing of things!
    www.shareyourdiet.com

TRADER
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Count me in too OP! I am all over it. I will take the advice of the other posters and read Jane's blog as well. Let's see how much money we can save. I don't know what my budget is for the rest of the year so I will have to get back to you on that. Let me do some calculations. I would love to know how much I have spent thus far. I have been couponing and I am fairly new as well. So far so good!
    Frugal Franklin
    I think I may need therapy...I'm addicted to saving money!!!

TRADER
    SPARKING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much time to post as I'm at work but I wanted to thank everyone for the information about Jane4girls and will definitely try to find her blog!

Cindi and Tomekay, thanks for joining me! I'm really looking forward to seeing just how well I can do from now until the end of the year and would definitely appreciate sharing with you guys!

Let's have some fun and save some money!!

Julie

TRADER
    FLAMING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The blog is awesome. I think I'm going to join your challenge. I've been planning on crafting a budget & this is good timing for that. Thanks!
    neglectarino
    ~*Wishlist*~ ~*Potlucks for Trade*

TRADER
    FLAMING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

Sorry, here is the link to her blog - JANE4girls $800 Annual Budget For A Family of 4
    Cindi
    Mommy to Gabby
    Getting back into the swing of things!
    www.shareyourdiet.com

TRADER
    SPARKING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to join...I need to get my budget for food down as I spend over $5200 a year!!!
    Precious is the unconditional love of a child...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast