* Made the Mexican Chicken Lime Soup I linked the other night. It was really tasty! Of course, I always mean to follow a recipe and never quite get around to it... I had some small zucchini which needed to be used, so sliced one in, added a little rice, stirred in some cilantro at the end -- and forgot the guacamole for the top, which was the whole reason for making the soup in the first place. I thought it would be a good thing to use it with, since I had so much guacamole I got really cheap on markdown with coupons.
* There is still enough soup leftover for at least another meal, probably two.
* Opened a jar of my homemade corn relish to put in the cornbread to go along with it. Also had a some cooked barley, so added a little of that to the cornbread. Made the cornbread from my homemade cornbread mix which I made a few weeks ago, so it went together in a flash.
* Plan to make a meatloaf for tomorrow night's dinner. We don't really mind vegetarian entrees, so decided to stretch the meatloaf to the limit with veggies and grains. Only used a pound of ground beef, and the loaf is probably two-thirds filler. I added zucchini, tomatoes, onions, garlic, some homemade pepper sauce, oatmeal and toasted bread crumbs -- all things I had on hand. It is all ready to pop in the oven tomorrow. Plan to top it with a glaze made from cherry balsamic red onion jam I canned last summer.
* Still had some barley left, so made another couple loaves of barley bread. It is rising in the oven right now.
* Still drinking a glass of barley water each day as a tonic. As long as I was making beef barley soup, I cooked extra and made barley water. It is supposed to be mixed with lemon juice, but I have some mandarin oranges I got on markdown, so have been squeezing one of those in each glass.
* I didn't go out today so didn't spend anything. Probably won't go out tomorrow either, since officials are asking us to stay off the road. The storm tonight is making things really slick.
* Did some additional organizing in the kitchen. Still need to wash up the storage containers I purchased at the thrift store yesterday.
* Ordered some free samples last night and received a two-week sample of pro-biotic capsules in the mail today. I really like the product, but it is EXPENSIVE, so glad to have a couple weeks worth free.
* Checked out some library books the other day and have been reading through them. One is a nutrition book for a program I don't intend to follow, but I figured it would be good motivation.