PDA

View Full Version : HS graduation gift ideas

Kulis
04-16-2012, 11:14:32 AM
My first nephew will be graduating from high school this spring and heading off to college in the fall.
The expected graduation gift is cash, but I'd also like to put together something for his dorm room. I know the general concept of a laundry basket and supplies, but it's been a long time since I lived in a dorm, and I'm sure things are more convenient now than they were years ago.
I'd love any suggestions for specific types of products -- even better if you know of a sale on something soon.

(considering what his bedroom at home is like, I know I'll be giving some Febreeze fabric refresher and maybe a room freshener or two!)

Thanks.

3timesoccermom
04-16-2012, 11:59:20 AM
This may not be what you are looking for but what about gift cards to restaurants in the area. One of my girls is at a large university and they had several unexpected rules on what they could and couldn't have in the dorm. Fridge and microwave had to be a certain size and wattage, no toasters, power cords had specific requirements and some other assorted odd rules.

One thing you might want to think about is waiting until it's finals time in his first year and sending him a box of goodies to get him through at that time. They love getting mail and treats are even better.

ETA: - here's a couple of links that may help.

http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/daily-living/454231-planning-college-5.html

http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/stockpiling-guide-discussions/248282-college-survival-kit.html (http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/stockpiling-guide-discussions/248282-college-survival-kit.html)

kschick96
04-16-2012, 12:23:55 PM
Trying to think of something different-what about a Smart Set Alarm clock? They reset themselves if the power goes out and reset themselves to "spring forward" and "Fall Back." I LOVE mine and think it would be a great gift to give and get!

sns4063
04-16-2012, 04:18:00 PM
When I graduated HS, one of my favorite gifts was a basket of laundry stuff...including a small jar of quarters! One gift was a homemade laundry bag with my school's logo/initials.

Kulis
04-17-2012, 03:41:03 AM
Thanks for these ideas. I must try to remember the box of goodies at finals time.

Rene S
04-17-2012, 08:22:30 AM
When I graduated HS, one of my favorite gifts was a basket of laundry stuff...including a small jar of quarters! One gift was a homemade laundry bag with my school's logo/initials.

Many colleges' machines don't use quarters anymore. Many use their ID card like a credit card, where they swipe and money is deducted from their account.

Abbybob
04-17-2012, 08:55:48 AM
When a friends' daughter graduated recently, I filled a laundry basket with HBA and cleaning supplies that I got for free or very little OOP. The laundry basket was $8.00. I put in:
Laundry detergent
fabric softener sheets
Windex
Pledge
Air Fresheners
candles
cleaning cloths (like lysol wipes)
Dawn
dish brush
sponges

I went to the dollar store and bought her some dish towels, hot pads, oven mitts and included those as well. A really great gift that the recipient loved for less than $20!

shelleyf
04-17-2012, 09:25:41 AM
Trying to think of something different-what about a Smart Set Alarm clock? They reset themselves if the power goes out and reset themselves to "spring forward" and "Fall Back." I LOVE mine and think it would be a great gift to give and get!

I love mine too. It is so easy but the only thing is that it reset itself awhile back and it is 6 minutes faster than the regular time, lol Don't get that but it won't let me set it right so I just have to remember.

To the OP I think the ideas the others suggested are great. I would also find out their favorite book. It would be a good stress reliever late at night before bedtime.