PDA

View Full Version : Albertsons (NorthWest) ~ Question Doublers

JulieDB
01-24-2012, 07:04:37 PM
I have noticed that more and more of my coupons say "Do Not Double". Okay, fine. But... What do you do with the rest of your coupons? Do you wait until you get your doublers and then hopefully combine them with a sale? My doublers really seem to be hit and miss. Of course I got them on the week when we were snowed in and the paper was buried in the snow. But the time I got them, they had expired.

This week? I have a ton of coupons and no doublers.

My dad and I both take the Everett Herald. There have been weeks where I got them and he didn't and vice versa. One week I got three in my paper! Of course that was the week where I could find precious few items I could even use a coupon for at Albertons. And now I have a ton of razors. Heh.

Or do you just use your coupons somewhere else where you know you can get a better price? While I do think overall Albertsons prices are pretty good, there are some things I have coupons for that they sell where the price is so much higher than other stores that even with a doubler and a coupon I am paying more than I would elsewhere.

Also, is there any way to know in advance when the doublers will come out? At one store the checker gave me some doublers when I didn't have any. I didn't ask. He just did it. I don't know if he was supposed to have done that or not. And I think I read here (or somewhere anyway) that they no longer have those inserts in the stores. This was a while back. And I don't think he is there any more. He failed to put my Albertsons card in which meant I had to go to customer service to get it straightened out and it was a HUGE mess. This was back when they had that contest going on and customer service had to sort out which items I had that would count.

I want to get the most out of my coupons and I feel like I'm not. My daughter tells me that her friend's moms are doing better with the coupons than I am. She says they are "extreme". I don't know if this is true or not. But they also don't have food allergies and can buy things that we can't. Most weeks I find most of the coupons are going into the recycle bin because we just can't use them. Yes I know there is trading here but I feel that is all over my head. Sure I have plenty I "could" trade, but I really don't see many others that I could use.

I have already made a few mess ups by buying things we really didn't need just because I could get them for cheap. Such as candy. With me being diabetic and daughter having pre-diabetes, we do need to keep some candy in case we have low blood sugar. But we don't need nearly the amount of Hershey's, Dove and M & Ms that we currently have. No doubt we will wind up throwing some out because they will go bad before we can eat them. So... I am trying to do better. But it seems so hard!

Gardencook
01-24-2012, 08:24:40 PM
:smile: Don't get discouraged! Learning to coupon takes time, and even after you've done it for years, there is always something new to learn.
As far as Albertsons goes. Some stores used to hand out doublers, but the policy was changed a few months ago, and they won't give them to you at the store any longer. :sad3:
If you are worried about coupons that say "Do Not Double," Albertsons now allows you to double those coupons regardless of the wording on the coupon. :BigHand: If you purchase an item for $1.79 with a $1 coupon and a doubler, you will get the item free, but they won't give you an 11 cent bonus overage.
Sometimes word gets out a few days early on Albertsons doublers and this site is a great place to catch wind of it, but overall you aren't going to know about them too far in advance. :dontknow1:
The rumors this week are of coupons rounding up to $1 instead of regular doublers, and they are supposed to run a full week. That means that any value under $1 -- whether it be 25 cents or 75 cents, will become a $1 coupon.
:shopping999: As far as your special allergy needs, be sure to check the specialty foods section. Most Albertsons stores have a Kosher/Health Foods section and I've been quite impressed with what they carry. Albertsons seems to carry a lot more gluten-free and specialty foods than a lot of competing stores. However, selection varies from one store to another, so it always pays to look at any Albertsons stores in your region to see how the selection varies.
:cut3: As far as obtaining coupons for those items, they are out there and HCW is a great place to obtain some of them. In order to trade here, you must graduate from the TNT program, which will show you the ropes. Once you've got five trades under your belt, you can trade with others who have coupons for the items you need.
When I first signed on here, I promised myself I'd give everything a try and discovered much to my surprise that I really loved riding trains. If you try to fill the wishes of others with coupons you are currently throwing into the recycling, you might be surprised to find how many coupons other traders have to pass your way! :dance7:

JulieDB
01-24-2012, 11:08:48 PM
Thanks! I do know that Alberstons has a gluten free section but we don't buy much from it because the health food store around the corner has a lot more and for better prices. There is also a gluten free store near here and they have most everything we might want and their prices are good too. I did notice on Sunday that the one Albertsons just got rid of a whole produce case and they have moved their gluten stuff there. There is some new stuff and there is hope that they will get more. But the prices are still not very good, IMO.

I don't know that the rounding up coupon thing will help me out in any way. Most of the coupons I have are for $1.00 off or more. I might have a few that I can use.

I am not new to couponing. I grew up doing it and I did it for many years but just finally gave up out of sheer frustration because I never could find the items in the stores that I had the coupons for. This still seems to be the case now. I also have a lot of coupons I never use because I can find other brands for much less. Cheese is one example. Yogurt is another.

I will keep my eyes peeled for the new ad.

Gardencook
01-25-2012, 12:15:14 AM
Sometimes the rounding up coupons helps a little, but a lot of times it doesn't. Just depends on what Qs are cycling at the time and whether the store has sufficient stock in the beginning. I know how frustrating it is when there isn't anything that great.
In the Seattle area, you've probably got a much better selection than we do around here. We have very little to choose from, so we're thrilled with what we can get. As far as gluten-free options, they are high no matter where we shop around here. We eat a lot of brown rice and quinoa to minimize the effects, but don't follow a gluten-free diet because of the cost.
As far as cheese and yogurt, we can usually do much better with Qs than we would without. Cheese has gone up a LOT in the past year, but it was so cheap last year combining Qs and sales, it was hard to believe.

MaddieT
02-10-2012, 06:29:15 PM
Albertsons doubles the DND coupons anyway because their program is "Twice the Value" and not a true "doubler" coupon program.

JulieDB
02-10-2012, 06:33:09 PM
Albertsons doubles the DND coupons anyway because their program is "Twice the Value" and not a true "doubler" coupon program.

But I have not gotten any of those coupons in many weeks now.

MaddieT
02-10-2012, 06:43:23 PM
Right. Montana and Wyoming don't see them at all any more. We did get to do the coupon roundup deal, which was cool. I don't know what Albies is doing as far as doublers.

JulieDB
03-18-2012, 10:49:36 PM
Right. Montana and Wyoming don't see them at all any more. We did get to do the coupon roundup deal, which was cool. I don't know what Albies is doing as far as doublers.

I got some last week but not this week.

JulieDB
03-25-2012, 10:59:36 PM
Anyone get them this week? 2nd week in a row I didn't get them. And I have lotsa coupons.