PDA

View Full Version : 2012 - Decluttering challenge 2012 items in 2012.

Pages : [1] 2

cody82414
12-30-2011, 07:05:00 AM
OK, ladies...here it is! This is the official 2012 in 2012 decluttering challenge thread. We're going to purge our houses and lives of 2012 bits of clutter ("STUFF"...something that undermines family fun) in 2012. If that sounds overwhelming to you, don't worry. It's right about 40 items per week. You can do this! Just make this challenge work for you, let it be what you need it to be! You can count individual items or piles of items, pounds of clutter, bags of clutter, boxes of clutter. Or you can count minutes or hours or heck, even seconds if you're naturally organized (but then you probably wouldn't be here, right?) You can count what you throw away, give away, sell, recycle, return to its rightful owner, etc.

List your goals in this thread (along with pictures...we like pictures!!!), we'll post some mini challenges along the way (we need to do this this year, we kind of slacked last year), and we'll cheer one another on as we post our progress or lack of it. Don't forget to post your progress (with pictures) along the way. You can do this!!!

rheavon
12-30-2011, 08:30:10 AM
Me! I want in! My garage is SO FULL. We moved in over a year ago now and the garage should've been able to accomodate my car as of like half a year ago. We aren't really utilizing the storage spaces inside the house as a result. There are papers everywhere and ahhh!!! I think getting rid of 2012, no matter how big or small would be a great thing.

Of course, I'll be counting things inside and outside the house. From obsolete papers to the chapstick I used once 6 years ago. I won't be counting normal everyday trash/recycling- but if it is something that has been taking up space since we moved in- I'll definitely count it.

I might even post a picture or two of my garage- but I won't be held responsible if your computer monitor breaks! LOL

jenrose
12-30-2011, 10:27:06 AM
OK I'm in.......I went thru and decluttered the boys room & other areas and bagged/boxed the stuff up to be donated etc but then it never left my house. My big goal is to actually have the items LEAVE the house! So that is where I'm starting. Getting the stuff OUT not just boxed/bagged up!

SouthernBelle5
12-30-2011, 12:36:27 PM
I'm in again. We painted our office and I'm slowly going through the papers and throwing stuff out before it can make it back into the room!

piercedanubis
01-01-2012, 12:34:41 AM
I'm in! Our house is only 750 sq ft with 2 small closets. Our garage is practically unusable, even though most of that is from DH ;).

to1drland
01-01-2012, 03:43:54 PM
I'm in again...it was a great motivator last year.

cody82414
01-03-2012, 02:44:46 AM
Yesterday I found three items to drop off today at a donation box.

rheavon
01-03-2012, 07:47:06 AM
I stuck two things in the trash yesterday. A pair of undies on its last leg and a nice knit beret-style hat I bought at the work Christmas fair this year. It accidentally went in the laundry and didn't survive (basically unravelled and fell apart). Typically for things like that I'd be all like, "Nooo, I can save it!" But often times I never end up doing it and it just takes up space. So in the trash it went.

cody82414
01-03-2012, 09:32:25 AM
3 items out!

bugweena
01-03-2012, 09:36:56 AM
Count me in!

I find that if I bag or box the donate items and either put them in the garage or my car I am not tempted to look back through just to make sure there's nothing in there I can use...trash bag goes immediately to the big trash can!

rheavon
01-03-2012, 10:29:35 AM
Thought I'd post a picture of what I'm up against. Most of what's in here has been in here since we moved in. Some of it is still waiting to come inside (like that card catalog, lol)- while others could probably be moved right along.

There are other areas of the house that probably need work, but the garage is my main focus. I'd like to park my car in there this year and have room to spare.

We are putting more shelving units in there for storage, but I will need to go through the bins individually to see what could be consolidated.

A lot of whats in the cardboard boxes along the wall are things from my dad's estate- sentimental items. Those will be the hardest to go through and decide which ones will be kept. I mean, his ticket stub to a play we went to many years ago might not be worth keeping- but his journals from Vietnam would probably be worth keeping.

The good news is, I have a space for the keep-worthy sentimental items inside the house.

So here's to a declutterful new year. I'll post update pictures every so often and hopefully my car will be in the picture not before too long.

Shelly527IN
01-03-2012, 12:11:46 PM
I'll give it a go this year. I didn't make it to 2011 last year, but this challenge definately kept me going. I didn't keep track as well as I should have on here. I probably had about 250 more things than my siggy says. I HAVE to declutter by June 23rd......MY WEDDING! I have to make room for my fiance to move in. Unfortunately that means my house is currently being taken over by wedding things.

mbromberg545
01-03-2012, 12:16:43 PM
Count me in! I already started getting some stuff together to sell and donate. Hopefully, I will stick with this. I clutter pretty well- I am in desperate need of DEcluttering.

cmricha2
01-03-2012, 06:07:02 PM
Count me in too. I already have a start on the next Goodwill trip. I'm also counting what comes in (non-food) to see if I am actually getting rid of or accumulating things. I really hope I am getting rid of more things than we bring in.

Hopefully I'll stick with this.

cody82414
01-03-2012, 06:45:11 PM
started sorting through the toys,
while doing so, I gathered a half of a bag of trash

mbromberg545
01-04-2012, 07:34:47 AM
Yay! Sold 1 item and took 3 bags of cans to the recycle place.

mbromberg545
01-04-2012, 07:45:27 AM
There are other areas of the house that probably need work, but the garage is my main focus. I'd like to park my car in there this year and have room to spare.

Is that what a garage is for? :hysterical:My car hasn't been in our garage since 2004.

jenrose
01-04-2012, 11:01:09 AM
Is that what a garage is for? :hysterical:My car hasn't been in our garage since 2004.

I think my car has been in the garage twice since we bought our house in 2002. But it's not that I need to declutter it, it's that DH needs to stop buying big boy toys! :hectic:

cody82414
01-04-2012, 11:05:47 AM
mailed off some leftover clothes that DSS20 and wife left behind.
So 7 items including the box I found in the basement :giggle1:

cody82414
01-04-2012, 12:45:22 PM
found a bag of stuff from when DS4 was born.
Wow.
a partial sheet of .41 stamps.....

20+ things out

cody82414
01-04-2012, 04:22:10 PM
finished the toys in the basement!
What an accomplishment!
I for one am proud of myself
and glad that is done.

I still need to finish the upstairs boys room,
although I am more than half done there.

I also started going through my plastic containers.
Odds and ends.
Must buy new plastic containers for food.

cmricha2
01-04-2012, 06:04:01 PM
finished the toys in the basement!
What an accomplishment!
I for one am proud of myself
and glad that is done.

I still need to finish the upstairs boys room,
although I am more than half done there.

I also started going through my plastic containers.
Odds and ends.
Must buy new plastic containers for food.

Wow Cody! You are doing so well. Wanna come over and work on my desk? It still needs help :giggle2:

I have collected a pile of items for Goodwill and one for the Food Bank. Now to get them both to the car for drop off on Sat.

cdarrow26
01-04-2012, 07:57:19 PM
Ok, I guess I will join again, even though I failed miserably in 2011. I am determined to get this house uncluttered and under control this year! I will have been in this house 4 years in April and I still have boxes in the basement that haven't been unpacked!

Part of my challenge for myself is not only to declutter what I have, but also to stop bringing new stuff in. I'm thinking of doing a self-imposed NO SPEND/NO SHOPPING for the month of February (cuz it's a short month! LOL!). I will only buy necessary groceries. No stockpiling, no chasing deals, no clearance shopping, NOTHING! I'm also thinking of starting a "one in, TWO out" rule. Anything new I buy, I have to get rid of 2 similar items.

I had to have my cat put down this week, so, I packed up all the unopened food and treats and put them in my car to drop off at the shelter. Litter boxes are in the trash to go out tomorrow. Packing up 2 old flannel sheet sets that have seen better days to donate to the shelter, along with some like new doggie toys that mine have shown no interest in.

I also found a consignment shop by work. My goal is to take in 5 items per week. I've been taking stuff since August and doing pretty well selling them.

mbromberg545
01-05-2012, 08:34:22 AM
Yay! Sold 2 more items. Making money on my clutter is really helping out in the bill department.

A lady started a group in our neighborhood on Facebook because we can't have garage sales (against the deed restrictions). Other people in the neighborhood put items up for sale in the group and others purchase. I joined at the end of Dec and have made almost $100 - yay!

cody82414
01-05-2012, 08:50:42 AM
Yay! Making money on my clutter is really helping out in the bill department.

:BigHand:
Fantastic!!

abuck4429
01-05-2012, 08:54:56 AM
So far I have just gotten rid of a pair of pants FDH split the crotch in :nm2:

BUT: I have bags of stuff to take to goodwill, a used book store, glasses to lions club and some odds and end but won't count those until Saturday when they are officially out of my car.

cmricha2
01-05-2012, 10:30:11 AM
I had to have my cat put down this week, so, I packed up all the unopened food and treats and put them in my car to drop off at the shelter. Litter boxes are in the trash to go out tomorrow. Packing up 2 old flannel sheet sets that have seen better days to donate to the shelter, along with some like new doggie toys that mine have shown no interest in.

Oh I am so sorry. :hug29:

jenrose
01-05-2012, 10:43:22 AM
I have a box of plates and a box of Christmas deorations in my car that I will drop off at Moms for Sis1 to pick up at a later date. I will come up with an amount to count them as once they officially leave my car!

cody82414
01-05-2012, 12:54:51 PM
8 boxes out

ptracey
01-05-2012, 01:21:19 PM
I am definitely in need of this motivator! I have so many books, toys, gadget and whatnot I need to get rid of. My goal is to recycle as much of it as possible. Declutter away!

On a different note: how do I put the declutter tag at the bottom?

cdarrow26
01-05-2012, 04:30:09 PM
Here is a link to a declutter calendar that an online friend posted on another message board I use. It looks AWESOME! Index of /2012 (http://www.mysimplerlife.com/2012)

cdarrow26
01-05-2012, 04:31:32 PM
I am definitely in need of this motivator! I have so many books, toys, gadget and whatnot I need to get rid of. My goal is to recycle as much of it as possible. Declutter away!

On a different note: how do I put the declutter tag at the bottom?

Go to UserCP, then edit signature. You will have to "edit" you signature each time you update it...

jenrose
01-05-2012, 07:32:38 PM
OK, I dropped the stuff off at moms......hmmm.....what to count it as? I guess I'll say 5. It was actually 8? big plates, 12? small plates, 6? bowls and a dozen or so Christmas decorations.

I'll be taking an old changing table/dresser to a friend on Saturday and then need to find a day when DH has the boys out of my hair to bag/box up the crap I pulled out of their room months ago without them knowing. They haven't missed a single thing so it's time for it to GO!

everprincess
01-05-2012, 07:56:03 PM
Gave away all of my old tupperware yesterday. I didn't count every piece but I'd say it was at least 50 pieces or more. DH bought me new sets for Christmas.

cody82414
01-05-2012, 08:39:06 PM
Gave away all of my old tupperware yesterday. I didn't count every piece but I'd say it was at least 50 pieces or more. DH bought me new sets for Christmas.
did you get new tupperrware or new something else?

cody82414
01-06-2012, 08:25:34 AM
4 cloth items donated today

everprincess
01-06-2012, 08:29:20 AM
did you get new tupperrware or new something else?

He got me two huge new sets of Rubbermaid. My old stuff was really in bad shape but the friends that helped us move/fix stuff wanted them so I gave them everything I had. I have a bunch more stuff in a tub out in the garage too. Once I find it they are gone also. Once this cold virus leaves my system for good I'm back to more decluttering. I can't wait for the warmer weather so I can have a huge yard sale to get rid of it all!

rheavon
01-06-2012, 08:43:22 AM
Here is a link to a declutter calendar that an online friend posted on another message board I use. It looks AWESOME! Index of /2012 (http://www.mysimplerlife.com/2012)
This is wonderful! It breaks it up very nicely into managable daily tasks. I got mine printed up. I'll probably do a few days extra, hehe.

This weekend I'm striking some clutter nonsense. I've made a little schedule below:

-Friday night after working out: Organize pantry; taking out food items which haven't been touched since the move in 2010. Clear off countertops in kitchen. Go through bookshelf in dining room and take off things that aren't 1. Books and 2. Games.

-Saturday afternoon: Find 10 items from the garage that need to come inside the house in their rightful spots & discard/put in donate pile 40 items (large & tiny). During this time, I want to get rid of at least 2 ratty cardboard boxes full of stuff and put said box in recycle bin.

-Sunday afternoon: Go through 3 main drawers in bedroom dresser, getting rid of unworn items for 1+ year. Put commonly used clothing in drawers instead of in the clean laundry hamper. Hang up the rest of the clothes in the fabulous walk-in closet. Part with 5 items not worn in 1+ years.

I'm going to admit right now, going through clothes is going to be hard for me, too. I have a lot of them, but some are now either too big or too ratty. I'll get through it, though. :-)

cheap-o
01-06-2012, 10:14:27 AM
Since we are moving this year I will be decuttering a lot! LOL too much stuff.

rheavon
01-06-2012, 08:37:29 PM
Down 45 more items from the pantry. I cleaned about 3 shelves before I kind of gave up, lol. Lots of little things and things that had been in the food collection for years. Also went through spices and tossed all spices I got when I was a sophomore in college. If I haven't used it by now, I'm probably never using it.

I even had a box of Wanchai Ferry dinner that had a box top that expired 3 years ago. Yep. That bad, lol.

piercedanubis
01-06-2012, 09:23:47 PM
2 bags of recycling, 3 trash and 1 donate out!

cody82414
01-06-2012, 11:14:24 PM
Down 45 more items from the pantry. I cleaned about 3 shelves before I kind of gave up, lol. Lots of little things and things that had been in the food collection for years. Also went through spices and tossed all spices I got when I was a sophomore in college. If I haven't used it by now, I'm probably never using it.

I even had a box of Wanchai Ferry dinner that had a box top that expired 3 years ago. Yep. That bad, lol.

yep.
You need this thread :giggle1:

BTDT:wavehi:

cmricha2
01-07-2012, 06:28:48 AM
4 expired things from the pantry to the garbage and 2 partially completed soduko books to recycle.

I also went through DD's clothes last night we purged a bunch that will need to go to goodwill. What I am most surprised by is we purged 19 pairs of her socks and she still has half a drawer full of socks.

So now I am 6/2012 :biggrin:

skw6559
01-07-2012, 07:48:11 AM
I am in for this challenge!!!!

cdarrow26
01-07-2012, 11:18:54 AM
2 old litter boxes out with the trash
Donated a few cans of cat food, a few bags of treats, a small plastic bag of dog toys and 2 old flannel sheet sets to the animal shelter.
Took 5 items to the consignment shop. I'm very excited after talking to the owner. She was saying how low they are on household/decorative items right now and I told her I've been meaning to go through my closets (yes, plural) of Partylite from when I was a consultant. Well, she offered me a WHOLE SHELF in the store and told me I can bring in as much as I want to! (They usually limit you to 5 items a day). I will definitely be working on that this weekend! Declutter and make some extra money! Bonus! I guess I'll count 15 items that went today, although it was probably a bit more than that.

cody82414
01-07-2012, 01:08:50 PM
I am in for this challenge!!!!
Welcome!!

bugweena
01-07-2012, 02:23:13 PM
Tackled the pantry today. How does food hide in the back for so long?? I need to work on using what I have when it's still in date (or soon after expiration).

jkeating
01-07-2012, 03:07:40 PM
I'm in! I have a hard time getting rid of things although I am getting better.

I moved 6 years ago and since it was a relocation via my job I didn't pack my belongings. I have MANY boxes downstairs that have never been unpacked. One of my projects this winter is to go through them all and get rid of stuff I really don't need. Since I don't know what things are in the boxes I have to go through them.

The previous owner of my home was a woodworker and one of the things I've always wanted to do was make furniture. If I could get my basement cleaned I might be able to have a new hobby. He's got 2 really nice work benches there. I could only use one since I have things my daughter had stored in my mother's home when she moved stored on top of one of the benches. After they were at my mother's home for 11 years I figured I would just take them to my home. When I retire and move to Texas she'll get those items...including her piano which I have stored in my basement also.

I'm getting better about bringing things in. I now talk my purchase through before I buy. It's been working. I've been known to now put things back after they've spent some time in my cart!

I even gave away Christmas gifts I got when I was in Texas to my daughter. Although the gifts were nice and very appreciated I knew I wasn't going to use them. She could so they stayed with her.

I was planning on finding 1 box to start with tomorrow. This is a good thing!

cody82414
01-07-2012, 05:29:26 PM
:wavehi:

jenrose
01-08-2012, 12:40:19 AM
I took that dresser changing table to my friend and also gave them a baby gate so that is 2 more things out!

cdarrow26
01-08-2012, 08:10:07 AM
Just trashed a duffel bag full of crap out of the basement, and started sorting through my Partylite to go to the consignment store this week. I'll have to count, but I think I have at least 20 pieces ready to go! Not sure what to count the duffel bag...it was full of little junk...

cody82414
01-08-2012, 08:47:57 AM
Just trashed a duffel bag full of crap out of the basement, and started sorting through my Partylite to go to the consignment store this week. I'll have to count, but I think I have at least 20 pieces ready to go! Not sure what to count the duffel bag...it was full of little junk...
i used to LOVE partylite

everprincess
01-08-2012, 08:49:48 AM
I added myself to the wiki. I have more tupperware I found on the counter today so I got to count those items and add those. Calling my friend today so she can come pick them up. Then once I get better I plan on going through my Christmas stuff so I can throw out broken items and stuff I don't use anymore.

jkeating
01-08-2012, 09:02:24 AM
Such happy de-cluttering news to report.

I decided to start in my room and went through drawers, closet & armoire. Got about 25 items to go which will be put in my car & dropped off today on the way to errand running.

Decided to go into my sitting room and work on the closet. My late husband owned a Bose Wave radio which one day just stopped working. I put it in a box and put it away. Today I found that radio and decided to bring it to the Bose store in Albany on Friday. It was quite dusty and a bit dirty so I decided to clean it before I brought it in. I noticed a battery compartment which I though was strange for a radio you plug in. I opened the compartment and saw 3 AA batteries. I decided to take a chance and change the batteries. OMG the radio works!!!!!!

Tomorrow I'll be waking to beautiful music and my still working $5 electric Westclox alarm clock will be donated!!

De-cluttering is off to a wonderful start!!

WillowM
01-08-2012, 09:51:55 AM
Count me in!!! Ive been away for a while but Im trying to dig back into couponing and ive already started trying to clear the clutter because we have a new baby on the way :) So far Ive gotten rid of 8 bags (13 gallon) of toys! Still cant really tell much is missing but its a start! :) Today im hoping to tackle one of my bathrooms and see what junk i can find to toss! Hopefully Ill gather another bag at least :)

bugweena
01-08-2012, 11:04:38 AM
It's great to see that so many are working on this for the new year. Have spend the morning in my kitchen cleaning out cabinets and drawers. Will wait until the end of the day to post my total. (I'm just taking a little break!)

cody82414
01-08-2012, 11:57:56 AM
(I'm just taking a little break!)

:wavehi:

skw6559
01-08-2012, 12:26:14 PM
okay 4 items out the door for me so far.

cdarrow26
01-08-2012, 01:38:51 PM
I just got done putting away a ton of laundry. 2 observations:

I still have way too many clothes. I can't fit all of my clean clothes in my closet/dressers so am always living out of laundry baskets.

All of my clothes are black, gray, brown, pink, dark blue, a few purple, a few dark green...interesting...

I have another small bag of trash, broken clothes hangers, clothes not worth donating, plastic bags, etc.

I have so much clutter and crap in this house, I'm going to count each bag as one item...sigh...

cody82414
01-08-2012, 01:57:05 PM
I just got done putting away a ton of laundry. 2 observations:

I still have way too many clothes. I can't fit all of my clean clothes in my closet/dressers so am always living out of laundry baskets.

All of my clothes are black, gray, brown, pink, dark blue, a few purple, a few dark green...interesting...

I have another small bag of trash, broken clothes hangers, clothes not worth donating, plastic bags, etc.

I have so much clutter and crap in this house, I'm going to count each bag as one item...sigh...

one bag at a time.:BigHand:

Keep it up!!

bugweena
01-08-2012, 04:26:13 PM
Stick a fork in me, I am done for the day. I have a total of 117 items. Most are to donate to Goodwill or some in my trash can. My recycle bin is full and my trash can has more stuff in it that I think it has since we cleaned out the garage.

But I can smile when I open the kitchen cabinets. I still have a few to go through and then it's on to another room.

Yay for all of us for decluttering!

:excited77::home:

cmricha2
01-08-2012, 05:20:28 PM
I took a trunk full of stuff to goodwill today. Over 400 items gone. I also returned some Christmas presents (I asked for 1 display easel mom got me 4) and a package of film (over $21 richer too :biggrin:).

So, between all I have gotten 424 items out of the house. Sadly, though there have been 59 non-food items in (and almost 20 of those were brought over by DH's Aunt yesterday :sad3:).

cody82414
01-08-2012, 05:34:20 PM
:encourage17: bugweena and cmricha

rheavon
01-08-2012, 05:38:05 PM
Alright. Got a little held up yesterday going through on the boxes. It was full of letters from my dad's time in the Air Force during the Vietnam era. I put them aside to go through them later, but I have to admit they did take a lot of my time (and I didn't even look through like 90% of them).

I did manage, however, to clear out a nice box to put all them in since they were in a ratty old box. I went through a lot of my college stuff and got rid of a bunch of mainly papers/handouts from classes. I managed to empty two old purses, which were like opening time capsules.

I also found a lot of change. I think I'm going to add up my findings monthly and use those funds for an end-of-year reward.

So as of yesterday, I got rid of 33 more items from the garage. I'm also working tonight in closet land, so I'll report that tomorrow.

cdarrow26
01-08-2012, 07:10:45 PM
Watching Hoarding: Buried Alive. Why do I do this to myself?! If I didn't have two sleeping dogs on me, I'd be up throwing crap away during the commercials! LOL!

jenrose
01-08-2012, 07:37:37 PM
I took a bag of craft stuff to my sister today that DH's Grandma gave me like a year ago to give to her since I had mentioned at some point that she likes to do that kind of stuff.

Then Mom was having us go thru Boxes & Boxes of stuff that her and her best friend were getting rid of. I was SOOOO proud of myself. After going thru all those boxes the only things I took was a little tea kettle that matches my good dishes, a pack of plastic forks (for the camper), a haloween little bowl, a big pack of post it notes, and some haloween treat bags.:BigHand: My 3 sisters all FILLED their cars with stuff and still had more they had claimed that they would have to pick up later. :giggle2:

But....after we went thru the boxes mom had a bunch of plastic tubs she wanted to get rid of too so I filled my car with clear plastic tubs that DH wants for the garage. But I was planning on having to buy those anyways. :smile:

SouthernBelle5
01-09-2012, 06:30:08 PM
It searching for meds that might meet the Novartis recall I have thrown out 9 items of expired meds and junk.

everprincess
01-09-2012, 06:37:08 PM
Watching Hoarding: Buried Alive. Why do I do this to myself?! If I didn't have two sleeping dogs on me, I'd be up throwing crap away during the commercials! LOL!

I love the marathons if they don't include the bug ones (I can't watch rats or roaches). They get my butt moving on stuff. Speaking of which I hope I'm 100% better by this weekend so I can get moving again:giggle2:.

skw6559
01-09-2012, 06:57:44 PM
7 items out the door and a large garbage bag full of clothes to go to the Goodwill tomorrow.

cmricha2
01-10-2012, 04:10:20 PM

I've not seen the Buried Alive special. I do like to watch the regular show though. I keep telling my DD if she doesn't clean up that's what will happen to our house :whistle67:.

bugweena
01-10-2012, 05:54:25 PM
I took a trunk full of stuff to goodwill today. Over 400 items gone. I also returned some Christmas presents (I asked for 1 display easel mom got me 4) and a package of film (over $21 richer too :biggrin:).

So, between all I have gotten 424 items out of the house. Sadly, though there have been 59 non-food items in (and almost 20 of those were brought over by DH's Aunt yesterday :sad3:).

WOW! That is great!:BigHand:

cody82414
01-11-2012, 09:01:51 AM
7 items out yesterday:wavehi:

jenrose
01-11-2012, 10:40:03 AM
I took 2 garbage bags and 1 grocery bag full to the Salvation Army yesterday (all toys) and 3 grocery bags full of shoes & clothes to DS2's friends little brother.

I'll call that 50 although I know it was more items than that. But I sure wasn't counting it all. :giggle2:

cody82414
01-11-2012, 11:01:39 AM
1 more today

Shelly527IN
01-11-2012, 11:45:11 AM

cdarrow That show makes me what to clean my house from top to bottom!!

Shelly527IN
01-11-2012, 11:52:25 AM
I've got a bag started for donations. Just added a couple things this morning. I've got Friday and Monday off (snow make-up days that we haven't needed) so I'm using those days to get a head start. I've got two closets that need cleaning out first so that's my goal---besides getting caught up on regular cleaning and laundry.

My county has a page on FB of things for sale. I've got some things on there that have been there for months, but are too nice to just donate. I may have to try to reduce the price and get them sold. Part of the problem is that they keep getting hidden by the newer posts. I also have some other things to add to it.

hrdlckwmn
01-13-2012, 06:57:21 PM
Is it too late to join??

I have a large plastic bin full of stuff that I plan on posting on Freecycle here locally.

The Freecycle Network (http://www.freecycle.org)

This is a great way to get rid of some stuff as well

hrdlckwmn
01-14-2012, 07:27:53 AM
Just put three LARGE lots on Freecycle that total:

86 things to leave my life and my house!! yeah!!!!

The bulk was Christmas stuff that I have "outgrown" in my life. Just how many snowmen does one family need??

bugweena
01-14-2012, 07:50:47 AM
"donated" 7 items to my mom

got rid of 10 more items for donation to goodwill

cmricha2
01-15-2012, 02:01:08 PM
3 day weekend = clean up, clean up

I thoroughly vacuumed DD's and mine & DH's bedrooms. In doing so, DD had to clean up her toys and she was able to put more in the donate pile. In my room I moved stuff around that I think may have been in the same spot for the last 11 years. Needless to say I found a few things I didn't know I owned and some were coated in dust (eww). I also sorted the stuff under DH's sink too. So, we have a hefty donation pile going again and we were able to trash 8 things that were taking up space and recycle an old magazine that was taking up space. And a big bag of trash and several boxes for the recycle bin. Everything looks so nice and organized too. I hope I can keep it that way. I think we are going to drop off more at Goodwill tomorrow.

WillowM
01-16-2012, 02:36:45 AM
Im still in! Im now up to 28 items gone! Ive been listing my items on Lista to gain points for Christmas shopping and baby shopping for the new little one due in April. Its a great way to get rid of things I dont need/use anymore and be able to get things I would have to buy anyway! :D Win Win!!! Im working through my scrpbooking room mostly and let me tell ya...that is pure chaos...but its feeling good to move things out and see the clutter diminish each day!!

piercedanubis
01-16-2012, 02:50:05 AM
I am making progress, it is just hard to keep track of how many items exactly. Went through a TON of mail, 99% got recycled. Went through my kitchen cabinets, only found 5 things to donate. (Well I had picked out more but DH decided he "needed" them lol).

bugweena
01-16-2012, 12:52:05 PM
Have been working off and on all weekend on my dining room (coupons and scrapbooking going on here, not much dining!) and bonus room (currently the 'catch-all' room) trying to sort through piles of papers and other treasures.

Probably added about 23 items to either the trash/recycle/donate pile. Didn't count all the pieces of paper, just things!

Shelly527IN
01-16-2012, 01:35:05 PM
20 items to the trash, 2 to the school where I work and 45 to the local thrift store! I have more to add to the donate box and trash can today.

bevalicious
01-16-2012, 08:15:55 PM
Hi! I want to join in this challenge. I have been wanting to declutter and hopefully this will help challenge me. A week or so ago I went through my spice cabinet and purged, i will have to count the empty spice bottles (I should have tossed them but thought hey maybe I could use these but maybe I should just toss them) and today I declutter DS room and pulled out somethings to donate. I will add myself to the wiki.

Shelly527IN
01-16-2012, 09:55:02 PM
15 more things in the donate pile, 4 more things in the trash, and sold a bread box on Facebook!

cody82414
01-17-2012, 02:07:24 AM
Welcome bevalicious!!!

You all are just cruising along here.
Great work!! Keep up the momentum :)

cdarrow26
01-17-2012, 05:54:29 AM
Sold 5 pieces of my old Partylite on Sunday, so, 5 more items out and made an extra $70, BONUS!

bevalicious
01-20-2012, 05:07:53 PM
Alright I have done some decluttering. Decluttered the spice cabinet, under the bathroom sink, DS room, and a corner in my kitchen. I'm proud of myself.

50/2012 decluttered and counting!

I think tomorrow i may declutter my car.

piercedanubis
01-20-2012, 07:29:46 PM
Cleaned out my car, found a few more things for the thrift store. Organizing the kitchen slowly.

Next on the list junk mail (again lol) and going through clothes.

hrdlckwmn
01-21-2012, 07:47:18 AM
I will figure out how to add myself to the Wiki. Got rid of 55 things out of two bathrooms yesterday. I did not count the individual hair barrettes or pony tail holders (that would have put me over 2012, i think).

Going to work on kitchen drawers today, get rid of duplicate tools and such. Who needs 10 spatulas? Unless you are shopping at Spatula City, where you buy 10 and get the 11th for a penny???

cdarrow26
01-21-2012, 04:36:23 PM
Got a little bit of decluttering done today, not that you'd know it. It's a never ending battle.
I just found a box in my spare bedroom that was full of opened hair products, make up, etc. My best guess is it has been there since I moved here almost 4 years ago! Ridiculous! I trashed a large percentage of it, at least 15 things.
I packed a box of kitchen stuff, a large bag of towels and bedding and a small side table that is all going to work with me Monday to donate to a family in need. I'll call it 25, although it's probably a bit more.
Threw out some old opened crap from the freezer.
Walked through my basement and peeked in a few tubs, bags and boxes, and turned around and left. I am never going to deal with that stuff. So much of it is absolute garbage....

everprincess
01-21-2012, 04:41:19 PM
Okay (16) tupperware items gone, (1) vacuum cleaner, (5) bras to the trash can (don't fit me right), (7) knife block & items inside, (8) storage sugar item containers.

So 37+50=87 total for the year so far

bevalicious
01-21-2012, 09:46:52 PM
I decluttered my craft space. It was quite a bit of stuff so I just counted time, 85 min. Total so far 135/2012.

Shelly527IN
01-23-2012, 09:24:29 AM
7 more things out of the house! 5 to the trash and 2 items to the schools gift collection to send to the troops!

jenrose
01-26-2012, 02:35:14 PM
I've been trying to pinpoint what it is that is holding me back from really doing great with decluttering and it just dawned on me what one of my major hurdles is.............DH!

I can remember one day this last year when DH flipped out because we didn't have a coffee cup readily available for his use. Now he hasn't used a coffee cup in at least 9 years thus the reason we no longer had any easily accessed. And when I pointed it out to him that I got rid of them long ago since they weren't being used he acted like I was nuts to not keep them around (as in a cupboard full of them around). :dontknow1:

And ya know what, I found one later that day that was stashed somewhere and he hasn't used one again since (this was early last year). :rolleyes24:

How am I supposed to get rid of stuff when he later acts like I did something wrong for getting rid of things we haven't used in years!

prairiewild
01-27-2012, 08:35:34 AM
I'm in. My desk is so cluttered it looks like some kind of an alien monster that's going to swallow my room whole :p

rheavon
01-27-2012, 12:50:07 PM
After a week of procrastination for whatever reason, I am getting back on track this weekend.

Friday -
I am dumping out all of my drawers instead of going through them and pulling things out. This way, I can reorganize everything and I will be certain about things like sock-matchups and stuff. I will be hanging up things in the closet and putting others in the drawers. Anything with holes/fraying or hasn't been worn in over a year is going buhbye. I'll also be putting up at least a full basket of laundry items that should have been put in the drawers ages ago.

Next, I'll tackle the closet.

My goal is to get rid of 20 items in and around the clothing area tonight.

Saturday-

For Saturday, I'm going to find 50 things in the garage to toss. I have my eyes set in a particularly cluttered area towards the front of the garage. I'd also like to bring at least 20 items to their rightful places in the house.

I'll leave Sunday open for now after I see how Fri-Sat go.

everprincess
01-28-2012, 09:27:45 AM
10 more items gone! After Monday I think about 1,000 things will be gone if I can sale it all.

piercedanubis
01-29-2012, 12:14:27 AM
I worked my butt off the last couple days! Very hard to nail down numbers but I cleaned our junk drawers, recycled, took more things to the thrift store, finished projects and threw stuff away. Feels good. Now I need to get the will power to get rid of more! Thanks for keeping me motivated!

jkeating
01-29-2012, 03:57:52 PM
Did really good today. Had 2 huge plastic containers filled with papers. Some got filed but a lot of it got tossed into the recycle bucket. Also got rid of some purses, clothes hangers and some clothing.

Dropped of 2 huge bags to Salvation Army last week. Since I wear jeans to work every day and my old work clothes didn't fit I emptied my entire closet and also filled another bag of purses I've not used in over a year.

Got to get back into de-cluttering because I've got so much more to go through.

bugweena
01-29-2012, 05:34:35 PM
Cleaned out basement to get it ready to have it finished. Cleaned out garage and moved stuff around to make room for stuff from basement that we are keeping. End result: 4 bags of items to Goodwill (~50 items) and a recycle bin and trash bin full and ready for pickup tomorrow :)

cmricha2
01-31-2012, 04:54:27 PM
Okay, so its been a busy month. I was able to hand down 28 books to my cousin. And I have cleaned out and thrown out a bunch of things I should have thrown out some time ago. I also took over 150 items to Goodwill last week. So all in all, I have gotten rid of 636 items total for January. :BigHand:

cody82414
02-09-2012, 02:15:27 AM
donated three items (68)

ffagirl15
02-10-2012, 08:09:05 AM
I am proud of myself. I went through makeup and some other bathroom stuff. I know I've had all my open makeup way past the time they are good for once opened, so I threw at least 15 items away and only put replacement items back in if I knew I would use them. There are several new things of makeup that will get offered on here later on and/or go into my spring yard sale.
This weekend I think I'm going to tackle scrapbook stuff. I have NEVER even made 1 page and I have all this stuff, so I'm having to come to the realization that I won't. I'm fine with putting the pictures in well marked photo albums for me to enjoy.

cdarrow26
02-10-2012, 11:45:00 AM
ffa I pulled out all of my scrapbook stuff last weekend, sorted through a bunch that I've never used or probably wouldn't use and put it for sale on a local Facebook group for selling stuff. People were practically fighting over my stuff and I priced it pretty aggressively. I made $225 just in what I sold last weekend. Unfortunately, I still have a ton that I may or may not use. I still have all the boxes pulled out in my spare bedroom. I need to repack them and get them back in the closet, at least. I need to update my totals from what I got rid of last weekend. I also sold a coffeemaker and gave away a chair. I also went through my candy/snack bin and trashed a ton of stuff. I guess I'll count the scrapbook stuff my box cuz otherwise I'd be at my 2012 if I counted by piece.

ffagirl15
02-10-2012, 08:51:22 PM
lol, CD I saw you talking about that in the LOYS thread and that's where I got the idea!

cody82414
02-18-2012, 05:47:16 AM
need to get back to this

everprincess
02-18-2012, 08:16:18 AM
Over 150 books gone today (the guy who DH is selling them to is going to do a exact count. Got a few more things out of the garage yesterday and swept up a ton of leaves. This moving stuff is a long dejunking process.

ffagirl15
02-20-2012, 03:21:04 PM
Well this weekend, I cleaned out under my kitchen sink and got rid of at least 6 items there. I also filed away my bills and receipts and am working on shredding the old ones so no telling how many there. I'm in the process of creating boxes of other items to be either donated, sold online, or go into a yard sale (which may become a moving sale, we'll see).

SouthernBelle5
02-21-2012, 02:21:53 PM
50 items shredded!

ffagirl15
02-21-2012, 04:34:03 PM
lol, are we counting shredded items?? Ok well I got you beat SB!
I know I shredded bills from back in 2010 and then pretty much 6 months worth of receipts.... So my ballpark figure would be at least 300 items, lol.

cmricha2
02-27-2012, 03:37:41 PM
Ugh. I have been demotivated this month to declutter. But its the end of Feb (almost) which is when I normally hate all my resolutions and wonder why I made them. I did manage to take another donation to Goodwill yesterday (up to 3 now) and I cleaned out a bunch of expired and worn out items (gross nail polish). I even gave some DVDs and a few other items to a neighbor that my DD had outgrown. My new item total for decluttering is 790. So it looks like that's 154 items for Feb. It would be 791 if I'd stop staring at the old concealer on my desk and throw it out too:giggle2:

ffagirl15
03-01-2012, 01:50:14 PM
So I got motivated to get into my scrapbook stuff. I think that was one of those moments that I turned into my mother and thought a project looked fun and went overboard on stuff for it. I have 5 storage containers full of paper and stickers, along with tons of other things. I'm slowly going through them all to see what I'll actually use (which really isn't much) and then I think I'm going to try to put them in the classifieds on here.

cody82414
03-03-2012, 06:16:55 AM
the candy bowl has gotten out of control
so I am bagging everything to bring into church tomorrow
for the children's ministry

catnerd714
03-03-2012, 06:20:14 AM
Is it too late to get in on this? I REALLY need to de-clutter!! I think having a goal of 2012 items will help.

cody82414
03-03-2012, 06:22:04 AM
Is it too late to get in on this? I REALLY need to de-clutter!! I think having a goal of 2012 items will help.
never too late.
Welcome
and brag about your efforts:wavehi:

cdarrow26
03-03-2012, 07:52:08 AM
Still slowly decluttering here, haven't been good at keeping track. With any luck, I will be selling a sofa and a large buffet this weekend, so, that will be two large pieces out of the house and some extra $$ in my pocket. Also have a pending sale of a carpet shampooer. Last week I sold a small fridge and a couple baskets. I am using the money to pay down debt, so, it's a win-win!

cody82414
03-03-2012, 08:01:05 AM
Still slowly decluttering here, haven't been good at keeping track. With any luck, I will be selling a sofa and a large buffet this weekend, so, that will be two large pieces out of the house and some extra $$ in my pocket. Also have a pending sale of a carpet shampooer. Last week I sold a small fridge and a couple baskets. I am using the money to pay down debt, so, it's a win-win!

that sounds fantastic!
Keep it up!@!

catnerd714
03-04-2012, 10:54:15 AM
Started this challenge yesterday and so far I have removed 7 items (two wine glasses, two bath toys, 1 basket, and 2 piles of misc. junk). I have a ton of books and things to donate to a friend's garage sale, but I'm not counting them until they are out of here, or they may never leave. Motivation!!!

cody82414
03-04-2012, 11:40:02 AM
10 cloth items out

cdarrow26
03-04-2012, 12:39:55 PM
Sold the buffet/hutch and my Dyson. Sofa didn't sell yet, but, it feels good to be getting more stuff out of this house AND making some money doing it!

ffagirl15
03-04-2012, 03:01:58 PM
Go CD! That's awesome.
I am bound and determined to go through ALL the rest of my scrapbook stuff today and get what I'm going to sell photographed and put it up on here first. If that doesn't work Craigslist might be next.
I'm also going to get at least 15 things listed on eBay tonight.
Go team go!

Shelly527IN
03-07-2012, 10:41:34 AM
I'm still around. I've been keeping a tally on the fridge. I think it's about 200. Will have to check when I get home and add it to the wiki.

jenrose
03-07-2012, 11:31:24 AM
Hmmmm....looks like I need to get back into this!!!!

catnerd714
03-10-2012, 08:33:28 PM
Finally got two boxes of stuff out of the house approx. 30 items in each: dishes, books, school supplies, and outlet switch plates. Sixty items GONE!

Total 67/2012

piercedanubis
03-10-2012, 10:15:33 PM
In need of motivation! My husband and I are going to start some renovations in my dining room. (Which has the computer desk in it). During the renovation the closet will be coming completely down (one of 2 small closets in the entire house). I know a majority of the items should just go but I am stalling.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

everprincess
03-11-2012, 07:13:19 AM
50 items gone to donation..got to work on more.

cody82414
03-11-2012, 07:21:51 AM
Hmmmm....looks like I need to get back into this!!!!
me too:wavehi:

I have been horrible about keeping track of anything
because I am also trying to simplify my life
the two are counterproductive

anyhow
if we average 5 1/2 items a day
we will reach 2012

so today we should be on 391 items out.

I am failing miserably:sad3:

ffagirl15
03-11-2012, 08:25:55 AM
I think I'm moving in the wrong direction right now!
I'm selling on eBay so I am always picking up things and now it's starting to take over the house. Luckily I'm planning for a yard sale at the end of the month, so hopefully I can get rid of a lot of things then!

jenrose
03-11-2012, 10:07:52 AM
I had to clean out the laundry room to make it easier for our new washer & dryer to get brought in. I pulled out an old mirror medicine cabinet that DH had saved planning on putting it in the garage. He has now agreed to put it in his car and toss it in the dumpster at work. It's one of those 1970's mirrors with the little sliding medicine cabinet on the bottom. :giggle2:

I also went down and got rid of about 4 BIG empty boxes last week that were being saved for shipping. I'll be going thru DS2's cloths and passing a bunch of it down to friends kids in the next week or so so that will help my totals. :wink7:

SouthernBelle5
03-11-2012, 10:57:23 AM
20 items to donation yesterday!

cmricha2
03-11-2012, 03:06:04 PM
finally took stuff by the food bank. 156 items total (60 lbs). Both food and hygiene items. They were really happy for both and I think surprised that those items only came from my house. So that takes my total to 946 items out.

cody82414
03-11-2012, 03:13:17 PM
finally took stuff by the food bank. 156 items total (60 lbs). Both food and hygiene items. They were really happy for both and I think surprised that those items only came from my house. So that takes my total to 946 items out.
awesome!!!:smile:

ffagirl15
03-11-2012, 03:36:43 PM
I need to do the same for our food pantry, don't think I'll get as high of a number as you cmricha, but it'll still help

everprincess
03-12-2012, 07:14:46 AM
After my cleaning yesterday I'm going to say 100 items gone. This includes paperwork trashed, shredded papers, boxes gone to the road, endless things to donate. I'm happy to say that no more boxes are upstairs besides the ones in my office that are bank info I need to shred or file. But my office will be the last room I do. DH put a lock on it yesterday so DS can't get in there.

cdarrow26
03-14-2012, 11:18:44 AM
I can't remember if I posted or not that I sold my sofa this weekend!
I also sold a small bag of clothing, maybe 15 pieces, and also dropped a large trash bag of stuff in the donation bin by work this morning. So, I will count 50 items gone!

cdarrow26
03-18-2012, 09:44:34 AM
Just threw out over 30 cans, jars, bottles of UNOPENED expired food from the cupboard...sigh...I hate wasting food...

bugweena
03-18-2012, 09:57:10 AM
My mom came for a visit and left with about 25 items, including plant cuttings! She took our old tent, some books and puzzles, and some misc. items.

cody82414
03-18-2012, 10:21:50 AM
nice going!
I too love when family comes to visit and leaves with a stash ;)

ffagirl15
03-18-2012, 12:49:33 PM
My mom came for a visit and left with about 25 items, including plant cuttings! She took our old tent, some books and puzzles, and some misc. items.
You just reminded me that I have a tent I need to find a good home for. I have a 6 person tent sitting in my shed just gathering dust and cobwebs.

cdarrow26
03-18-2012, 01:18:26 PM
Getting ready to head out to meet someone buying some shoes from me. 3 more things out of the house and $40 in my pocket!

cody82414
03-18-2012, 11:16:45 PM
gathered 25 items to donate
78+25 = 103

cody82414
03-19-2012, 06:46:20 AM
50 clothes items
162 plastic kitchen pieces
30 clothes items
30 more clothes items

103+50+162+30+30 = 375

cody82414
03-19-2012, 08:42:23 AM
25 items from the cleaning stockpile for a housewarming gift

375+25 = 400

cody82414
03-19-2012, 09:17:31 AM
120 more items
400+120 = 520

jenrose
03-19-2012, 11:37:17 AM
Wow Cody! Way to amp up your progress!

cody82414
03-19-2012, 01:42:52 PM
Wow Cody! Way to amp up your progress!

Yeah.
I fell back on decluttering also
so I had to go on a spree!!

twas fun!

cody82414
03-19-2012, 05:05:00 PM
160 additional clothes items
520+160 = 680

cdarrow26
03-19-2012, 05:42:18 PM
134 additional clothes items
520+134 = 654
You go girl! You're on fire! Send me some of that! :hysterical:

cmricha2
03-20-2012, 03:57:55 AM
160 additional clothes items
520+160 = 680

way to go Cody!

cody82414
03-20-2012, 06:53:18 AM
14 things this morning donated
200 toys

680+214 = 894

cody82414
03-20-2012, 01:41:33 PM
5 cloth items
2 badly worn oven mitts
26 magazines
30 books

63 + 894 =957

saversavory
03-20-2012, 03:44:50 PM
ive been decluttering for a while now. we have a dumpster that is picked up every 2 weeks, and ive been filling it right along, also gave a few carloads to a cousin( one load included furniture)

everything from dishes, clothes, craft stuff, toys, books, cookbooks too.

Ive probably already hit the 2012. maybe even double because a lot of the craft stuff.

I still have a lot of work to do. for so long ive only gotten so far and i never really got down to organising the finer details and then things pile up again. this time im in it for the haul, we are going to do the garage this year, which is full to the rafters of whatever we threw in there!

cody82414
03-20-2012, 05:38:25 PM
99 items ready for the food pantry tomorrow

957 + 99 = 1056

ffagirl15
03-21-2012, 07:01:17 AM
I'm with you cody, been cleaning and sorting and ready to just get rid of it. For me though, I'm having a yardsale so it's not quite "gone" yet. I'll have a bunch to say on the 31st (Hopefully!).

saversavory
03-21-2012, 07:55:48 AM
just went through my tupperware cabinet. HOLY SMOKES these things are like socks... no mates!!

cody82414
03-21-2012, 11:16:42 AM
1056+24=1080

everprincess
03-21-2012, 11:20:50 AM
Okay Cody's kicking my butt

50 more items donated to church
10 items sold

cody82414
03-21-2012, 06:14:41 PM
1080+40 additional items to donate to the pantry = 1120

cody82414
03-22-2012, 04:39:30 PM
227 items out today
1347 total ytd

catnerd714
03-23-2012, 07:17:24 AM
Thanks to the friendly bump from cody82414 I got two boxes and one bag to the thrift store today!!! I will count that as 75 items as I am sure there was at least that in there! 142/2012

cdarrow26
03-23-2012, 07:21:58 AM
Yep, doing ok here too. I don't have the time or energy during the week to tackle much. Most of my decluttering happens on the weekends. I am in the process of doing a huge clothing purge. I've lost 15 pounds and NOTHING fits. A good problem to have, I know. I am actually taking the afternoon off to go look for a few things. I have a couple gift cards to use. I have been taking the nicer/new stuff to the consignment store, about 10 items a week, and some of the older but still wearable stuff, I've been selling in lots online for $15, so, it's a win-win. Declutter and make a little extra cash. I have someone coming tomorrow to possibly buy a gas grill I no longer use, just taking up space in the garage. Depending on how much time and energy I have this weekend, I may tackle a few boxes in the basement as a lot of that is just trash.

ffagirl15
03-23-2012, 08:35:37 AM
Ok, though it may not be out of the house YET, I'm going to declutter the rest of my house this weekend to get all the yard sale stuff put together and to get some things donated.
All the yard sale stuff will go into the front entryway (but still allow me to get in and out! :giggle2:). I'll have a couple boxes in the kitchen to put donation items. I'll be hitting the kitchen so I can donate some unneeded food items to the food pantry on Monday. Gotta call up the director today and see if she can come by the get the box from the office, much easier for me :-)

jenrose
03-23-2012, 10:54:17 AM
I felt Cody's Kick so now I need to get my butt in gear. :giggle2:

Tonight I plan to go thru my food stockpile and box up some stuff to take down to Moms on Sunday. She is hosting a little Bday gathering for my niece and my sis will be there and take any food anyone wants to give her. :giggle2:

I also need to load up my car and head to the donation bin soon as well.

It's nice here today for a change and is supposed to be nice tomorrow as well so I can send the kids outside to get them out from under foot and give me a little time to work on stuff.

Now to keep myself to this goal!

saversavory
03-23-2012, 02:10:01 PM
my dumpster was filled and above, just got picked up this morning. i have 2 weeks to fill it again, up to half might be garbage from regular household, but half a dumpster is probably equivalent to 3 large toters normal peeps use for garbage pick up

cody82414
03-23-2012, 03:11:12 PM
my dumpster was filled and above, just got picked up this morning. i have 2 weeks to fill it again, up to half might be garbage from regular household, but half a dumpster is probably equivalent to 3 large toters normal peeps use for garbage pick up
go girl!!!!

ffagirl15
03-23-2012, 06:06:01 PM
Ok hit up the kitchen today for yardsale fodder as well as food to donate to the local pantry. I got a big box of food to take to them on Monday and already arranged to meet them there at 9, since they are only officially "open" on Tuesdays. That has to be at least 25 items there.
I also got about 20 more items put together from the other cabinets. Extra dish soap (it's just me so 1 bottle takes me at least a month to go through), extra coffee mugs, extra large convenience store cups, and lots of other odds and ends will go into the yard sale pile.

cody82414
03-23-2012, 06:55:10 PM
clean the kids top shelf and craft bin
1347 + 39 = 1386

cdarrow26
03-25-2012, 11:23:38 AM
Adding 15 things to my total. I went through another shelf in the kitchen. Only 3 out of date items to the trash this time! Walked through the basement and grabbed a few things that could go in the trash. Am I the only person that saves every dang box that every small appliance ever came in?! What is wrong with me? I have vacuum cleaner boxes, toaster, coffee maker, etc., etc. Some of the things I don't even have anymore! I threw a bunch of them out in the garage. Will have to break them down for garbage recycling this week...
Organized my stockpile a bit, sorted more stuff out for yard sale, found a few items in there for trash.
Also started sorting/packing stuff that goes back to the camper mid April when the campground opens. That'll be a lot of stuff out of the house, at least for the camping season!
Found a few more clothing items for the donate bag.

cody82414
03-25-2012, 04:05:22 PM
1386 + 31 = 1417
hoping to spend some time cleaning tonight...

ffagirl15
03-25-2012, 04:28:52 PM
Still pulling out, I don't think I'll be able to put a number on it until next weekend. I'll try to keep a tally of how much is sold then how much is donated afterwards.

I can put in the 25 for the donated food and then I know I've gotten rid of at least 100 items up until now. I guess I'll finally add myself to the wiki :giggle2:

Oh anyone have any suggestions for an old, but still operational Dell inspiron 1100 laptop? If I sell it or even recycle it, the hard drive is definitely not going with it. I'm looking around to see if selling it for parts might be a good option.....

SouthernBelle5
03-26-2012, 05:10:41 AM
Cleaned out baskets in bathroom when I rearranged shelves...10 items gone.

cody82414
03-26-2012, 09:20:11 AM
1417+33 = 1450

jenrose
03-26-2012, 09:55:58 AM
Well I didn't actually count but I took a BIG bag of food and gave it to sis. I'll call that 30. Also went thru and cleaned off the kitchen counters again (I swear the stuff breeds!). Shredded a bunch of papers, Tossed a bunch of those junk toys that the boys get at bday parties and when MIL takes them out for fast food. So I'll call that another 20 I guess. Gave my old kabootle (sp?) to my nieces. And with my other nieces Bday present a tossed a pack of highlighters & pens from my stockpile in there too.

I think if I actually counted my numbers would be soooo much higher but if I slow down to count I won't get as much done. :dontknow1:

to1drland
03-26-2012, 06:30:03 PM
I need to get back on this wagon! After the hand injury, I lost focus & the energy to get going.

on the agenda for tomorrow- declutter desk!

cody82414
03-27-2012, 05:41:13 AM
found a gal from church to take the Veggie Tales vhs tapes
and the library will take the rest
so 52 items outhttp://img.diaperswappers.com/images/smilie/thumbsup.gif

1450+52 = 1502

jenrose
03-27-2012, 10:38:32 AM
I went thru my reg freezer and tossed several items that were so freezer burnt that they were unrecognizable. I need to do better about remembering what has been opened and use it up instead of just forgetting it was there. Most of what I tossed were open packages of stuff. :rolleyes24:

And sis stopped by to have DH look at her car and she took a box of oatmeal home with her.

I'll call that 10.

saversavory
03-27-2012, 05:47:46 PM
Put a computer chair to the rd. Dumpster bound if no one claims it. Desk is outside..dh can take that to the rd when he gets home, in hopes someone will take it. It only needs to be painted. Gave away a full sized bed since i just bought a king and dd2took our queen and dd3 took her twin so her full had no home, also gave away a large amt of matchin vinyl floor tile we dont plan to use and all the full sz sheets. Ive been spackling up dd2s room prepping for a project but i will try to get a few more bags out before the week is out.

cody82414
03-28-2012, 07:13:05 AM
1502+33=1535

bugweena
03-29-2012, 08:35:49 AM
you all are inspiring! I recycled of all my 2011 grocery receipts that I saved for possible rebates...way too many to count!

SouthernBelle5
03-29-2012, 09:45:21 AM
I get off at 1:00...after shopping I hope to get home & purge!

cody82414
03-29-2012, 09:47:37 AM
I get off at 1:00...after shopping I hope to get home & purge!

it's a rush
isn't it!!!
:BigHand:

ffagirl15
03-31-2012, 03:21:36 PM
Ok done with the yard sale and the donating afterwards, so I have lots gone! I made $130 with the sale so that's good, but it's really nice to have some of my space back.
If I had to guesstimate, I would say I sold 200 items and donated another 100 items.

I'm going to post several items on here and Craigslist and see if I can't get rid of some more stuff :-)

catnerd714
03-31-2012, 05:25:56 PM
Trashed two old pairs of shoes and donated a bunch of clothes to the thrift store, thats 42 more items out of here!

cody82414
04-01-2012, 02:00:58 AM
go go go ladies.

I cannot tell you how much easier it is to clean without all of the 'stuff' everywhere!!

jenrose
04-01-2012, 08:49:09 AM
If I can ever get ahold of my sis to see if her son is still in 4t cloths I'll either give her the massive amount I just pulled out of DS2's closet or pass them on to other friends. I try to giver her first dibs though but her son seems to grow faster than mine so he's catching up in sizes LOL.

SouthernBelle5
04-01-2012, 04:20:43 PM
20 items so far today...

bugweena
04-02-2012, 04:09:40 AM
42 more items to donate!

cody82414
04-04-2012, 03:47:49 AM
1502+33=1535

23 items out this morning cleaning a shelf in a closet

1535+23 = 1558

bevalicious
04-04-2012, 05:27:35 AM
I've been doing some purging but haven't quite been keeping track. I seem to have some trouble spots down stairs because when I purge the area crap seems to accumulate right back up. Lastnight I did some purging on my kitchen counter, refridgerator, pantry, and a table in my craft area. It was about 60 items. I was getting frustrated cleaning the pantry and fridge because DH still likes to leave empty boxes in the pantry and fridge. This morning I opened our "dental" drawer to add some toothbrushes and an opened toothpaste box was glaring at me :hectic:I picked up and went to DH and was like what is this? IDK why but he thought I was upset because he opened a box of toothpaste :hysterical: I was like you couldn't throw the box out, like the boxes in the pantry and the fridge...lol somethings you just can't change. So I guess I have purged one item this morning.

cody82414
04-04-2012, 04:36:23 PM
1558+13 = 1571

cody82414
04-06-2012, 01:42:13 AM
1558+20 = 1578

cdarrow26
04-07-2012, 07:46:39 AM
Haven't gotten anything major done. I had an absolute HELL week at work this week. I did sell a couple more clothing items, took a few more to the consignment store, and returned a few things I bought that I didn't like, also took a bag of food to one of my clients and threw out a couple kitchen utensils, so, I'll call it 30.

everprincess
04-07-2012, 10:23:36 AM
Sold (4) items yesterday
Threw out (10) items

cody82414
04-08-2012, 06:03:28 AM
me thinks this is the last year for Easter decorations (eggs and such) for the kids.

I will let things die down before hauling stuff out :giggle1:

catnerd714
04-09-2012, 01:32:02 PM
I went through two drawers today. Only got rid of 6 item, but I have started a new pile to go to the thrift store and will count those once they are off the premises. I also tossed a bunch of paper stuff that was piled on the kitchen table thanks to cody's weekly minimizing/decluttering idea list. Week 1: 4/8-4/14. LETS GET STARTED LADIES!!!!!
(http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/467110-codys-weekly-minimizing-decluttering-idea-list-week-1-4-8-4-14-lets-get-started-ladies.html)

cody82414
04-11-2012, 01:34:33 AM
:bump91:

jenrose
04-11-2012, 01:59:21 PM
I finally took the 4t cloths to sis. While I was bagging it up I lost count at 60 tops and 20 pants. There was actually more than that. :whistle67: DS2 gets hand me downs from DS1 plus any good clearance finds and friends had been handing stuff down too (although not any more) so he had quite a few 4t cloths.

And I still haven't gone thru his shorts drawer yet & will soon need to toss a bunch of undies too. :hectic:

cody82414
04-12-2012, 07:18:53 AM
77 items out (1655 ytd)

ffagirl15
04-12-2012, 07:11:14 PM
Ok I have 12 books to go be donated this weekend and I'm not even done. I've finally made the decision if a book that I brought in for sale does not get traded or sold within 2 months, it will be donated. That will keep my stock fresh and keep me from being over run with books!

ffagirl15
04-14-2012, 10:22:25 AM
Ok, I'm about to head out the door with about 40 items to donate or take to a few consignment shops.

cody82414
04-14-2012, 10:27:07 AM
Ok, I'm about to head out the door with about 40 items to donate or take to a few consignment shops.

Go ffagirl:BigHand:

cdarrow26
04-14-2012, 10:40:58 AM
Went through my shorts this morning and actually tried most of them on. I have a good pile of stuff to go to the consignment store next week, probably another 10-15 items. They only take 5 at a time and I can usually only get there once a week, sometimes twice.

I also gave 4 shopping bags of food and HBA to one of my clients this week. I didn't count what was there, but it was a lot. I'll put it at 40.

cody82414
04-14-2012, 11:39:25 AM
Decluttered two things and made $460.00

Boooooyah!

ffagirl15
04-14-2012, 07:11:44 PM
Lol, I made $35 (tent) + $3.10 (kids consignment) + $10 (ladies consignment) from my decluttering efforts. Plus I took all those items and dropped them off like I said I would, so overall a fairly productive day.

cmricha2
04-16-2012, 04:25:36 AM
Hi All! Everyone looks like they are doing great with getting rid of items. Congrats to you all on your hard work. I'm still working on dwindling down my pile of stuff too. I'm up to 1148 now. I was able to sell some old textbooks, gave several pairs of shorts away to a neighbor, threw away a few expired items and got together another large pile for goodwill. The funniest thing I've gotten rid of so far is some 3.5" floppies. We had 39 of them. I haven't owned a computer in years that would read a floppy but I had 39 of them you know just in case. :hysterical: I'm not sure what I was saving them for, but they are gone now.

So I have to tell you all the family vacation plans for this year because I think you all will appreciate it. We had been racking our brains to figure out what we should do/where we should go. And yesterday DH says, lets stay home and take 3-4 days to completely go through everything and clean out the house. I was so excited when he said that (perhaps a bit giddy :giggle2:). So there is going to be a major clean up from everyone in my house (not just me)! :BigHand: I can almost see the piles of stuff that will no longer live in my house.:excited8:

cody82414
04-17-2012, 06:21:55 AM
13 items from the laundry room
5 non clothing items
11 items from filing

1686 ytd

cody82414
04-20-2012, 02:51:00 AM
bumping up for the "weekend warriors" :giggle1:

cdarrow26
04-20-2012, 04:01:22 AM
Yeah, the weekend is the only time I have the time or energy to do much...

I did take 10 items to the consignment store this week and may get there with 5 more today. I had about $20 in sales this week!

ffagirl15
04-22-2012, 01:32:16 PM
Ok, I got another 15 items out so far this weekend. 4 items in the mail to people who I traded with online (I don't have other stuff coming to me right now, just credits for later). I also took an old foot locker to the trash. I had it since I started college in 2003 and it was falling apart. I also took 5 items to the local thrift shop. 5 more are going to Amazon via their trade in program ($12.50 in Amazon credit).

I know by the end of the night there will be more ready to go b/c I have some listia auctions ending tonight. I am also going to be starting my bag back up already of items to take next weekend to the thrift shop.

bugweena
04-22-2012, 02:30:26 PM
cleaned out a few more items this weekend. Some stuff to the trash including a broken lamp and a lot more to the thrift store pile in the garage! Will drop that off this week!! I get so tired of moving things to get to other things and moving the same crap back.....so I am trying to move it out!

cody82414
04-23-2012, 05:07:12 AM
cleaned out a few more items this weekend. Some stuff to the trash including a broken lamp and a lot more to the thrift store pile in the garage! Will drop that off this week!! I get so tired of moving things to get to other things and moving the same crap back.....so I am trying to move it out!

Keepit up:wink7:
You are doing wonderfully!

SouthernBelle5
04-23-2012, 07:07:48 AM
We have recently received back our baby "stuff" from my mom's attic. I am so ready to see this go! We are Craigslisting as fast as we can! :giggle2:

ffagirl15
04-29-2012, 06:59:24 PM
I'm looking at about 40 items that I'm about to list on eBay, Craigslist, and Listia to get them out the door in the next week!

jenrose
04-30-2012, 10:18:14 AM
The 2 metal shelves that had been sitting in the driveway for the last 2+ months cause DH's buddy said he wanted them are finally gone. Some guy stopped and asked DH if he wanted to get rid of them and DH told the guy he could take them. :BigHand:

cody82414
05-05-2012, 07:26:56 AM
Dropped off a bag of clothes - I will say 7 items

cdarrow26
05-05-2012, 07:46:10 AM
I've stopped tracking, just couldn't keep up with it, but still making some progress. I took 2 small bags of clothes to donation this week and 20 items to consignment shop.

Next weekend, I have a 3 day weekend and dad is going to leave me his small dump truck so I can start clearing out some of the largish stuff that I have no way of getting rid of.

cody82414
05-05-2012, 05:08:04 PM
Next weekend, I have a 3 day weekend and dad is going to leave me his small dump truck so I can start clearing out some of the largish stuff that I have no way of getting rid of.

That's great!
DH wants to get a dumpster to get rid of all the old farming parts fencing etc laying around the property:BigHand:

cody82414
05-08-2012, 09:06:41 AM
1693 ytd

jenrose
05-08-2012, 11:06:11 AM
This weekend DH and I actually did a bit of work around the house. We loaded up the back of his car with an old mirror/cabinet, old carseat, broken carpet cleaner, a few old helmets and some other stuff for him to throw in the dumpster at his work. Took pictures of and posted a couch/love seat and 3 baby gates on Craigslist (hopefully those will sell). Some friends came over and bought a kids dirtbike we had in the garage, they also took home another old carseat, a pair of baby shoes, the last of the pieces to the playpen that I finally found and something else I'm forgetting. :giggle2:

We worked for a while trying to clean out the family room. If someone buys that couch & loveseat then I will really be making some progress but I'm not holding my breath LOL.

cody82414
05-10-2012, 01:50:59 AM
today I am having a dumpster delivered so that we can get rid of much of the trash laying around the place
chicken wire, fencing, wood from all sorts of things, farm crapola
various other lawn ornaments
:giggle1:

cdarrow26
05-10-2012, 04:10:21 AM
today I am having a dumpster delivered so that we can get rid of much of the trash laying around the place
I responded on the minimalism thread, but I will be doing the same this weekend! Dad is leaving me his small dump truck to load up for the dump!

ffagirl15
05-10-2012, 06:41:42 AM
Maybe I should do that for my dad's father's day gift, lol. There is so much random farm related crap around there house. Most of it has been there since before they bought the house in 1997!!

Oh on my own decluttering front, I got 30 items out of the house yesterday!! 20 via Listia and 10 more to a local resale shop. I'm going to put several things on Listia and eBay this weekend. I'm hoping that I can get rid of some more. Oh and I'll be taking a box of items to donate to a charity thrift store as well.

cody82414
05-10-2012, 06:53:33 AM
Awesome!

prairiewild
05-11-2012, 04:44:32 AM
I finally started working on my decluttering. I emptied two cabinets of baby stuff-bottles, sippy cups as well as a ton of expired meds. I can finally get in there without having a bunch of junk cascading down on me-feels good to open it and see every thing arranged all neatly :D

cody82414
05-11-2012, 04:54:22 AM
I counted over 50 items before I had to go take care of household chores

cody82414
05-12-2012, 01:35:29 AM
easily another 200 items
(1693+250 = 1943 ytd)

ffagirl15
05-12-2012, 07:53:07 AM
at 3:30 in the morning, cody?? Not able to sleep, maybe? :giggle2:

I've got a box of 15 items ready to go out to the thrift store, this morning. I'm hoping this week to be able to get another 10 or so items sold at a consignment shop in Little Rock and then a lot more on eBay.

cdarrow26
05-12-2012, 08:16:44 AM
Taking a break....I got a decent amount done, lots on the truck, even though about 90% of it is broken down boxes. Why in the hell I saved every box from every tv, vacuum cleaner, toaster, coffee pot and pair of shoes I've bought since I've lived here...I HAVE NO IDEA! But, even just getting rid of most of that is a big help. Honestly, I don't know if I'll do more later or not. I'm pretty whooped. All in all, I'm fairly happy with what got done, and I came across a few things I can try to sell in the process.

cody82414
05-12-2012, 10:00:18 AM
Me too = whooped

Went back to sleep from 6-9
then out to help DH separate fencing from wood posts
the funniest part was throwing the wood in the air to get it into the dumpster
fun!
prolly another 30 posts

cdarrow26
05-13-2012, 11:48:23 AM
I thought i'd post a pic of the crap that left my house this weekend, but apparently you can't upload a pic from the ipad:rolleyes24: whatever...

cody82414
05-16-2012, 06:17:27 PM
cleaned out the second garage tonight crapola by the tractor fulls
and the day before worked out in the Morton building
that dumpster is overflowing
and I am certain I am WAY past 2012 items:BigHand:

ffagirl15
05-20-2012, 02:07:18 PM
I love that word "crapola" :giggle2:

I need to work on my own crapola. In addition to the normal chores that is.

cody82414
05-21-2012, 04:59:29 AM
I am going to start all over with counting, and see how far we geet with this minimizing mentality!

cody82414
05-22-2012, 01:42:29 AM
4 old plastic items out in the trash

cody82414
05-23-2012, 04:22:15 AM
4 items to the trash yesterday

ffagirl15
05-23-2012, 03:13:30 PM
Getting things together for my family. I'm going to my parents this weekend so I have clothes for my little sister to save for a year or so, Christmas decorations my mom would use, some food stuff they would use before I would and a few other items. At least 30 items will go.

cody82414
05-25-2012, 11:21:33 AM
7 items today

ffagirl15
05-30-2012, 08:31:29 AM
So in having to put in insulation in my attic, I was made to pull all the clothes out of my closet. I actually went through them as I put them back in last night and pulled out 4 more items. I also will be donating a handful of other items out of my sales inventory. By the weekend I should have even more. I'm determined to get my house organized!

ffagirl15
06-03-2012, 12:22:39 PM
Ok 18 items pulled from kitchen cabinets
8 items got donated yesterday
1 item went to consignment shop
All my recycling taken out- plastic bags, plastic bottles, and paper

SouthernBelle5
06-07-2012, 06:22:42 AM
We have been slowly cleaning out DS's baby items. So I hope to continue to go up and up!

ffagirl15
06-11-2012, 06:46:24 AM
I just put together a box of things to go to my parents. I think there are 6 items in there out of my house :smile:

cody82414
06-12-2012, 07:18:47 AM
I am getting a second wind for my second round!
Friday DSS18 leaves for CA!!
Immediately following that he will attend U of I Champaign-Urbana,

so my decluttering will be revived as I turn his bedroom into a 'forreal forreal' guestroom!!

cody82414
06-12-2012, 10:13:34 AM
had the guy who built our house (10+ years ago)
come pick up his old dusty and rusty compressor
that's been taking up space

everprincess
06-12-2012, 11:23:05 AM
Donated-

50-pudding cups
50-rolls of TP
50-bars of soap
50-granola bars

tossed over 25 items to the trash in two weeks time

hopefully I can get more stuff sold this weekend

cody82414
06-12-2012, 11:28:26 AM
Donated-

50-pudding cups
50-rolls of TP
50-bars of soap
50-granola bars

tossed over 25 items to the trash in two weeks time

hopefully I can get more stuff sold this weekend

That's fantastic EP!
Warrms my heart <3

SouthernBelle5
06-12-2012, 03:10:16 PM
3 items gone today and when DH gets home we are tackling the outside garage

SouthernBelle5
06-12-2012, 05:08:43 PM
20 items gone...

everprincess
06-12-2012, 06:49:12 PM
30 packs of fruit snacks donated-not buying anymore DS!
75 items to the trash can tonight

I can do this!!!