PDA

View Full Version : Second Job - Candle Parties

katieyj
12-21-2011, 06:43:12 PM
I am thinking of taking on a 2nd job, some sort of product party, I was thinking of candles, since I like them so much. At work we already have an Avon lady, jewlery, Pampered Chef. I do work outside of the house 9 to 6, 5 days a week. So I have evenings and weekends available. But, since I'm single, all house work, yard work etc is done by me.

I want to get an idea of what kind of income I can expect, and see if this is something that may be worth the extra time. I can do catalog "parties" at work, so that may work once a quarter or so. It will also give me some contacts for other parties.

Does anyone else do anything like this? How much time do you put into it, do you mind sharing approximately how much this adds to your income.

I'm not sure where I would start, which product would be fun to do while helping out my savings account ;)

Thank you.

Gnorga
12-21-2011, 06:50:48 PM
Scentsy!!

I don't sell and don't know how much you'd make.
It's fun and I love it and I'm sure you could sell lots

katieyj
12-21-2011, 06:55:45 PM
Thank you Mardee. If you don't sell, what do you do for the company?

JulieDB
12-21-2011, 07:05:42 PM
I don't know how well candles would sell. I know some people like them but I sure don't! Not only are they a fire hazard but they bother my allergies. I only use battery operated candles now.

I went to a candle party once. I bought one thing. Can't remember now what it was. I always feel pressured to buy something when I go to those sorts of parties. I try not to go to those sorts of parties now. I really dislike them.

Gnorga
12-21-2011, 07:12:25 PM
Scentsy is a wickless candle system!
It's great.

I don't like going to parties either.
I get tiny benefits from my link, if my consultant sells enough I get 1 50% item..something like that.

rbunnymom
12-21-2011, 08:27:56 PM
Scentsy is a good product. My dd has the stuffed lamb. Smells good and is adorable.

everprincess
12-21-2011, 08:30:31 PM
Do something that doesn't eat up alot of your time. Working two jobs isn't any fun I did for tooo long and wish I had given up before I did. Good luck!

JulieDB
12-22-2011, 01:55:07 AM
Scentsy is a wickless candle system!
It's great.

I don't like going to parties either.
I get tiny benefits from my link, if my consultant sells enough I get 1 50% item..something like that.

I generally don't like scented things. I bought some battery operated candles at Costco to put out for Halloween and to keep around for when the power goes out. I didn't notice the scent when they were in the package. When we were checking out, the clerk told me they were vanilla. Oh woo hoo. My daughter's favorite scent and probably my least favorite one.

I was a little bit shocked when I took them out of the package because they are made of wax and have what appear to be burned wicks at the top. Our previous battery operated candles were made of plastic or glass. Because these are wax, I got the nasty scent all over my hands.

Now they are sitting on the breakfast bar waiting to be needed. And every time I come in through the laundry room door, that scent whaps me in the face. Not really a good thing.

katieyj
12-22-2011, 03:04:19 AM
Do something that doesn't eat up alot of your time. Working two jobs isn't any fun I did for tooo long and wish I had given up before I did. Good luck!

This is very true princess. I'm in my 50's and have never worked 2 jobs. But I thought this might be something that I could do for fun and make some extra money. Also I was talking to a co-worker who used her $ from selling jewlery and paid off her mortgage in about 2 yrs. That's what really got me into looking into doing something like this.

I'm not 100% on the candles, just something I'm interested in and jumped to mind. I'm opened to suggestions/thoughts.

shans3boys
12-22-2011, 07:54:25 AM
My friend sells PartyLite - I love the scents, and they also have scent warmers. I do love getting them, but there's only so much I can buy. Scentsy is really great too - we have a ton of reps in our area.

I had a home business once - wanted to earn some extra money and get discounts on the product. The issue that I had was that I'm not really a salesperson. I don't like asking people to buy products! And that is what you have to do - get people to have parties (either catalog or home parties), buy product, and refer you to their friends to start the cycle once again.

Some people are really great about this; I wasn't. I quit after a couple of months because I had a contracting opportunity come up that paid a lot more.

The questions you should ask are:

1. What's the earning potential? Is this based on sales, or on sales and building a team? (like Mary Kay)
2. What's the inital investment?
3. What's the ongoing investment?
4. What's your marketing plan? Will you do social networking (like facebook)? How far reaching is your network (beyond work)
5. How creative are you? (I'm not that creative, so had a hard time coming up with neat ways to get people interested in buying new stuff)

The hardest part I had was giving product away. Everyone wants something for nothing!

Good luck!

everprincess
12-22-2011, 03:07:11 PM
I know a friend of mine tried Avon but she said it was alot of work for a second job. Hope you find a answer.

TeePee
02-17-2012, 08:37:41 PM
Not sure if you are still looking but here is a new fresh candle alternate.

www.PinkZebraHome.com/PinkTammy (http://www.PinkZebraHome.com/PinkTammy)