PDA

View Full Version : Petco vs Petsmart

wendylv5
12-18-2011, 09:47:24 AM
Which do you prefer Petco or Petsmart, who has the better deals?

Cynthiav99
12-18-2011, 12:55:42 PM
petco cause every $100 I spend I get $5 and they are giving 10% off for next purchase with every time you buy

Pennstater
12-18-2011, 01:02:39 PM
Just wanted to add, I use neither, our locally owned pet store, believe it or not, has way lower prices. I was surprised, but it's true!

Doglover8180
12-18-2011, 02:50:12 PM
I think Petsmart is far better then Petco. I find the sales and deals to be better and they also mark down their seasonal items way before Petco even thinks to mark them down.

StacyFromIowa
12-26-2011, 04:33:13 PM
PetSmart has better prices here in Iowa too. And I love the coupons I can print offline with my PetPerks card.

We used to always go to PetCo, but the prices made us look elsewhere. And we had a bad experience with their Puppy Obedience class. As a graduate, our puppy was scared of the other dogs and hid under the seats. The instructor did nothing: no narration of the scenario, description of if this was good or bad behavior, and what should be done. We directly followed this class with a puppy obedience class with a local trainer. The first time our dog went under the chairs, she narrated that this was not desired behavior, went over and encouraged the dog to come out from under the chairs, and our dog didn't hide under chairs after just one class period.

Rene S
12-27-2011, 11:03:24 AM
Just wanted to add, I use neither, our locally owned pet store, believe it or not, has way lower prices. I was surprised, but it's true!

ITA, neither! I use Pet Supplies Plus, which is a smaller chain. Their prices are much better, and better service. They will special order just about anything for me, AND they accept competitor's coupons.

wendylv5
12-28-2011, 12:07:19 PM
I gotta go on the patsmart website and see about coupons. I could be saving a whole lot more. Unfortunately the local smaller pet stores around me are not the cheapest.
Thanks Everyone, Happy New Year!

Wolfsnaps
12-29-2011, 09:18:52 PM
I used to work at Petco. I am saying neither. Both suck. I will now be buying my food at local feed store and I make some of the toys myself. Other things I pick up at places like Big Lots or Walmart. I may take a look at their clearance but I know how inflated their pricing is.

The reason you had a bad experience at Petco with training is because they do a bad job at training their trainers IMHO (I went through that training two separate times with two separate training styles and both were equally bad). If you need a trainer, it is best to go to a true professional.

JulieDB
12-29-2011, 09:27:32 PM
I don't like either one all that much. I have bought things from both. I think I bought the food in large quantity from Petco. I can get a better price at Albertsons but... They did not have enough of the flavor my cats wanted. They are very picky. I wanted to stock up to get me through the winter in case I couldn't get out. So far no snow here.

For Treats I usually go to Winco or use a coupon at Target. Got a nice perch at Winco. The carriers did come from Petsmart. They turned out to be bad. The cats quickly learned to push the zipper open from the inside and they easily got out. There was no way to secure them. I had the carriers for about 3 months and didn't keep the receipt but they did take them back. I got store credit and was able to get better and cheaper and better carriers. So they are good for some things.

But my favorite pet store is where I got my cats. It's called Paddywack. It's a local place and they sell quality stuff. I just wish they had some canned food that the girls will eat. They don't. They do love the dry food that I get there. And I love their gourmet cookies for all the dogs in my life.

imjustakidatheart
03-06-2012, 09:50:14 PM
I go to the local feed store also $10 less expensive on my dog food. BUT we join all the birthday clubs........"O) After all the crazy petfood recalls I went to one brand of dog food that will 99% never be recalled with fatal diseases where I go thru trauma about their health. I only use Diamond Lamb and Rice and unfortunately it never has coupons but their are pet stores that rarely have deals. I watch for this.:wink7:

sweeneycat
03-07-2012, 08:27:47 AM
Both are too far away for me to use, but please keep in mind both deserve kudos for letting rescue groups adopt cats from their store. This has saved lives and gotten hundreds of cats forever homes.

judy27
03-07-2012, 09:02:59 AM
Both are too far away for me to use, but please keep in mind both deserve kudos for letting rescue groups adopt cats from their store. This has saved lives and gotten hundreds of cats forever homes.

Absolutely!!!! :BigHand: Our Petsmart had cat/kitten adoptions daily!! I will shop at Petsmart for items on sale that I have coupons for - only. Otherwise, it is way too expensive. I very rarely go to Petco - WAY too expensive!!

I have found that our local independent pet store has some good deals and they even have a loyalty card!!!!

couponcrazy5950
03-07-2012, 09:32:30 AM
I don't go to PetCo-not sure where any are around here. I RARELY go to PetSmart. The one by me gives MAJOR attitude when using coupons.

Raysha
03-07-2012, 10:55:51 PM
For me, I'll chose petsmart over petco or local pet stores, most times, over both. For the six months that I actually worked at petco I found out that when it came down to deals and prices petsmart always beat us and there were very few deals unless you went to the clearence section. Every time I was at the register I rarely saw a Single coupon go threw, even when they did the adoption process for animals the families either used nothing or just one or two at max. The sales reps always gave the families the high end ticket items, while I tried to get them something more reasonable at a lower price(maybe that is why the manger didn't like me as much as the others..).

Since we have a coon hound the only rope toys that we have found that actually last were at Walmart or tractor supply. Other wise we don't buy toys...fur flies and stuffing gets found everywhere.

That's just my two cents.

Candee
03-08-2012, 09:02:40 PM
Where do you find coupons for Petsmart? Thanks:)

Marie5656
03-09-2012, 10:21:23 AM
I used to go with PetCo..but now I shop at Petsmart. Mainly because PetCO does not sell the brand food I need for my chinchilla. But I like the deals I can get there, and good prices. Unfortunatly, the items I buy are not on sale as often as that for more main stream pets like dogs or cats.

CLN123
03-18-2012, 03:52:32 PM
I used to work at Petco. I am saying neither. Both suck. I will now be buying my food at local feed store and I make some of the toys myself. Other things I pick up at places like Big Lots or Walmart. I may take a look at their clearance but I know how inflated their pricing is.

The reason you had a bad experience at Petco with training is because they do a bad job at training their trainers IMHO (I went through that training two separate times with two separate training styles and both were equally bad). If you need a trainer, it is best to go to a true professional.

Just watch Cesar Milan, The Dog Whisperer...he is the expert.

I prefer Petsmart, their prices are much better than Petco, imo.

Wolfsnaps
03-29-2012, 08:34:00 PM
Cesar is alright but his methods are not conventional or realistic in most homes. Some of his theories are dangerous to try (don't alpha roll your dog unless you can take a bite and possibly lose your dogs trust). We don't all have well socialized packs of dogs living in our backyards where we can put a problem dog into for the pack to 'fix'. Yes, he does some good work but the average person can not do that. Remember, his success rate isn't 100%. The ones that don't work out are left on the cutting room floor and never aired.

Victoria Stillwell used to have a show called "Its me or the dog" and her methods were more reasonable to do in your home.

Both are good trainers with interesting techniques.

iceblulady
04-07-2012, 02:45:39 PM
We have PetSmart, Petco and Pet Supermarket.
I like PetSmart

Pet Supermarket is to high

Petco at least the one by me sucks. Reason being, I was in there one day and I was going to buy something. I ask if they price matched their online store. The manager a woman bent down into my face like I was a 5 year old and in a tone you would use on a 5 year old told me no they do not and proceed to tell me why.
I was like, ummm really, and handed her my stuff I was going to buy and left.