PDA

View Full Version : Question about paypal

booklover
12-06-2011, 11:49:14 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, so if not, mods feel free to move it.

Paypal is asking for my social security number for tax purposes. Is this legit? Have other people had paypal ask for SS #s?

TIA!

Jen1
12-06-2011, 11:55:06 AM
it's been so long since I signed up for paypakl, i can't remember.

Are you just signing up? If you received this request via an email, DO NOT GIVE IT!

meggers
12-06-2011, 12:39:56 PM
If it's a legit email, directly from PP, then it's because your account has been flagged due to activity. Once you hit a certain amount of sales, they'll require it. They're required to turn this type of stuff into the gubment.™ Same with ebay; same with a job.

CW&M Mom
12-06-2011, 12:42:14 PM
You can always ask PP if they are emailing you this email. Make sure it's not a phishing scheme.

mskeno1959
12-06-2011, 03:05:00 PM
I would email them. I get so much spam about my paypal account and none of it is from them.

cory11183
12-06-2011, 03:32:22 PM
This is due to the new TAX REGULATIONS on (ebay) transactions. Yes, that's right, the government is finally trying to dip into this market. But how ironic, that you can still get away with not paying sales tax on purchases from those corporate online powerhouses (such as Amazon)! I can tell you that it is legit, but you don't HAVE to provide it (unless they lock your account).

New tax regulations now require them to report any GROSS payments going into your account over $20,000 in a calendar year and you will now have to pay taxes on it!

Here is what my account has said along the top for some time now when I sign in:

You have not provided a tax ID number. Please update your profile: provide your tax ID number There is a link that explains the new regulations.

Pennstater
12-06-2011, 04:38:40 PM
I've had pp for years, they just started asking for the number a few months ago. I ignored them, the googled and read we must provide it if your sales $$ nears a certain amount or your transaction count is near a certain amount. Mine numbers were waaayyy below those numbers, I called them and argued, they won. They threatened to close my account, I finally gave them the number! Uggh!

CW&M Mom
12-06-2011, 04:45:03 PM
Ya I bet they will be really excited over my $30 bucks I made this last year...:hysterical::hysterical:

wonder what tax Mug will get for me bribing her:hysterical::hysterical:

Gnorga
12-06-2011, 04:51:43 PM
Ya I bet they will be really excited over my $30 bucks I made this last year...:hysterical::hysterical:

wonder what tax Mug will get for me bribing her:hysterical::hysterical:

I wonder how SFshopper is doing with paypal! :hysterical:

Lori63
12-07-2011, 04:20:20 AM
They've been asking me for months. It says they need it for taxes when you reach 200 payments and $20,000. If I make $20,000 in sales/rewards programs I'll gladly give it to them, but that's not going to happen

miacat
01-04-2012, 04:03:20 AM
I have a paypal question too - how do I made it not 'premiere'? I no longer need to accept cc payments, and ALL payments to me are charged a fee, no matter the origin.