PDA

View Full Version : Is asking 10% of coupon value too much?

mammabear9
11-18-2011, 09:35:01 AM
Here's the deal: I buy all my newspapers at $2 a pop. I don't dumpster dive:sad3: (as there is nowhere around here to do so lol) the high school doesnt have any recycling bins and I don't have connections to people working with or for the newspaper/insert companies. Not saying any of those things are bad or wrong just saying I don't have those opportunities around here (i live in a small town). Usually I take what I need out of the inserts for my own personal use and then I sell or trade the rest, now since they cost me $2 each and I don't use my own money (only what I make from trades) to buy newspapers the following Sunday my question is: Am I asking too much when I ask for 10% of coupon value sometimes more if it's a HOT coupon or if it can double sometimes I ask for 1c or 2c over 10% of coupon value?:dontknow1: I'm not asking for this to turn into a crazy thread or asking for any bashing of peoples opinions, just want honest answers from my fellow couponers. Thanks.

jluper7297
11-18-2011, 09:45:36 AM
I have never sold any coupons, but I do buy them here. I don't mind paying 10% at all, however I think that's the most I would pay.

daisydog215
11-18-2011, 09:49:59 AM
I think 10% is a good starting point and very comparable to what the clipping services charge. In my experience, hot coupons usually go for more than 10%. I would be hesitant to add on to the 10% based on whether the coupon doubles or not. Doubling policies vary so much by area. Just because a coupon would double for one trader/buyer and therefore be worth twice the face value, for others it would not because of coupon policies.

motherofmolly
11-18-2011, 09:50:33 AM
i think 10% is a great price.

mammabear9
11-18-2011, 10:27:03 AM
I think 10% is a good starting point and very comparable to what the clipping services charge. In my experience, hot coupons usually go for more than 10%. I would be hesitant to add on to the 10% based on whether the coupon doubles or not. Doubling policies vary so much by area. Just because a coupon would double for one trader/buyer and therefore be worth twice the face value, for others it would not because of coupon policies.

sorry I guess I worded that wrong. take for example a dawn $0.50/1 ANY coupon, most of the time that is gonna double if your stores double but even if it doesn't it can still be a semi hot coupon so instead of 5c each I ask for 6c each. Hope that helps explain it better lol.

cody82414
11-18-2011, 11:21:10 AM
no.

joshmamabear
11-18-2011, 12:05:08 PM
too much? maybe not depending on what coupon it is. most often, I'll pay that for hot coupons that I really want BUT otherwise, for many other coupons, I prefer coupon for coupon trade so that the party I'm trading with will have more or less equal savings.

I found a clipping site that charged 1.49 for a set of 20 Breath Right strips, shipped. That was before all coupon boards were discussing the overages @ WM. Of course, they ran out of it quickly but that is one reason I prefer some clipper sites. They set a flat rate price for most of their coupons and even for those "perceived" to be hot ones, they still don't charge a lot. NOT all clippers do that but there are still those that have very reasonable prices.

gctattoo
11-18-2011, 02:42:54 PM
I generally go by the 10% guideline for small trades of non"hot" coupons-- small for me being fewer than 20. I tend to go by quantity, not value, when I'm trading away a large number of coupons. Sometimes 10% comes out to just too much considering they're trying to save money.

As for hot coupons, I think 10% is more than fair. They're hot for a reason so I'm sure there's enough in it for them to pay the full 10%.

angeliainwonderland
11-18-2011, 04:48:59 PM
I agree with how PP stated it.
I normally figure a trade at 8-10%(plus postage) but if it is a large amount I will often round the total down a lil bit. I also base it on how many I need to get rid of, if I have a ton of q then I wil let em go cheaper.
But if it is a 'hot' coupon it's 10% (plus postage)
I really don't wanna pay over 10%. So I don't expect other people to.

shelleyf
11-18-2011, 04:53:34 PM
I think some coupons are worth 10% but some coupons that are not that good and are .20 each is too much for me. I also think .50 for a coupon is too much but have paid .30 for the same coupon. I also think you are a great trader and are doing a wonderful job.:BigHand:

velviita
11-18-2011, 04:59:05 PM
I usually ask 10% for a coupon. More if it is a really hot coupon, but still much lower than what you would spend on Ebay. Also if a coupon is of higher value, I will ask less than 10%. I guess it all varies on coupon to coupon. But 10% sounds like a good starting point to me.

I don't get my inserts for free. Factoring my time and gas to pick them up, I can't let them go too cheap. You can probably feel my pain - but it is alot of darn work to pull all those inserts from the papers! Especially when there are 3-4 inserts. Hahaha - so $.03 or so each coupon is not really worth it to me.

:smile:

CW&M Mom
11-18-2011, 05:08:59 PM
I basically agree on 10% and that is normally what I ask for.

If something doesn't seem as popular... maybe it's a $1.00/2 and their other's out their that are $1.00/1 you could lower it to 8% or if it was going to expire soon just to get rid of it.

Part of why 10% is nice is it's just easy to figure out LOL.

amylynne01
11-18-2011, 05:15:27 PM
I think 10% is fair, and I don't think that doubling should play into it at all. Not everyone can double, and not every coupon will be doubled. So a $0.50/1 any Dawn could be doubled at a grocery store or used at Walmart where the price of Dawn is always low.

If you're buying each paper at $2 each, do you even break after charging 10% of face value? Doesn't seem to be a lucrative business unless you get your inserts for cheap or free.

Mama Stu
11-18-2011, 05:58:20 PM
I think 10% is fair. I also think you are a wonderful trader.

mammabear9
11-18-2011, 08:14:56 PM
I think 10% is fair, and I don't think that doubling should play into it at all. Not everyone can double, and not every coupon will be doubled. So a $0.50/1 any Dawn could be doubled at a grocery store or used at Walmart where the price of Dawn is always low.

If you're buying each paper at $2 each, do you even break after charging 10% of face value? Doesn't seem to be a lucrative business unless you get your inserts for cheap or free.

Some weeks I do break even, others not so much that's why some weeks I have 30 to 35 of each insert and other weeks I will only have 15-20 (also there are weeks where I make more than I have spent and the next week I will have sometimes 50 of each insert). I'm not really in this to make money. I started really couponing in may around the same time I started here on HCW. I figure I save money with the coupons I use from the inserts and I can be of service to other traders on here and help them out at the same time. Also sometimes if I know a coupon isn't really good like medicine q's I ask for less than 10% sometimes 5% or less.

Shelleyf and MamaStu:
Thanks for your kind words I try to give everybody a good trade and hopefully will be able to keep on doing this for a long time to come.:BigHand:

shans3boys
11-18-2011, 10:43:53 PM
That's a lot of work - and you are not asking too much! Some weeks are just better than others, as far as inserts go. And on those weeks, the demand may not be as high. Economics at work...

SFShopper
12-01-2011, 07:18:19 PM
I think 10% of value - it's a good place to start. At the same time, there are Qs that uhhh - I sooo wouldn't ask 10% of value ~ ie $10/1 or $7/1 Crest :hysterical: it just doesn't make sense. At times, before I make an offer - I'll look @ what the going rate is on ebay and go lower :biggrin: For a .50/1 type of Q - unless it's really really hot - ie .50/1 Yakisoba :giggle2: - I'll probably go with 10% of value, cuz on the flip.side - you have to ask yourself... what is to stop the other side from going to someone else?! Is there a guarantee that you'll trade it @ .06 per? kwim?

meggers
12-01-2011, 07:31:49 PM
I think 10% of value - it's a good place to start. At the same time, there are Qs that uhhh - I sooo wouldn't ask 10% of value ~ ie $10/1 or $7/1 Crest :hysterical: it just doesn't make sense. At times, before I make an offer - I'll look @ what the going rate is on ebay and go lower :biggrin: For a .50/1 type of Q - unless it's really really hot - ie .50/1 Yakisoba :giggle2: - I'll probably go with 10% of value, cuz on the flip.side - you have to ask yourself... what is to stop the other side from going to someone else?! Is there a guarantee that you'll trade it @ .06 per? kwim?

I taught her eberything she knows & I concur. :biggrin:

Sometimes, it perfectly fine to ask for more than 10%, but sometimes, it's best to not stick to a straight 10% & even charge way less.

mammabear9
12-01-2011, 07:56:22 PM

yeah those crest strips q's are icky aren't they? I hate those q's why can't they put something else in there that people actually want?:hysterical: and I try to keep it equal to what other traders or ebay are asking but I can't offer them at 2c or 3c each no matter the coupon value and it's not because I want to make loads of money it's cause if I do that I won't be able to afford new papers every week, I am flexible if somebody says that don't like my price they can make me an offer I will consider any reasonable offer:whistle67:Also I have started a clearance list that I have ongoing which is hopefully a good idea on my part (haven't really made lots of trades off them yet so don't know yet lol)