PDA

View Full Version : trading Box Tops For Education, coke codes, forever stamps, et al. - WHAT ARE THEY WORTH? WHAT MAKES A FAIR TRADE???

cody82414
11-01-2011, 04:15:33 AM
what is a FAIR trade from coke points to BTFEs?
or for the benefit of those potential traders;
what is a FAIR trade from BTFEs to coke points?

I have been on Hot Coupon World for years,
but need to ask the opinions of others
regarding the trading value of a few items.

Most of you who know me know that I have two young boys
with special needs :autism:
and that I am the Box Tops coordinator for their elementary school.
This is the fourth year that I have been trading for BTFEs on HCW
to benefit their school.
Last year the BTFEs bought 2 smart boards, including the arms, for classrooms:BigHand:

Recently the teachers' at the school
began collecting coke codes for me to trade for BTFEs
and I have been attempting to trade them - FAIRLY.

I personally trade 10 forever stamps for 100 BTFEs.
which works out to 4.4 cents per BTFE
or 44% of the value of a BTFE

Keep in mind that most coupons trade for 10% of their value
ie., 10 cents for a $1.00 coupon

Additionally, I have traded up to 3 1/2 cents for a single coke point.

so my question is
what is a FAIR trade from coke points to BTFEs?

or for the benefit of those potential traders
what is a FAIR trade from BTFEs to coke points?

trudibeth77
11-01-2011, 07:00:24 AM
Hiya! I'm a BTFE trader, too- not a coordinator, but a parent who prefers to do BTFE fund-raising vs peddling "crap" to family and friends. (lol) I love the Box Tops program - hoping to really get more parents interested at my son's school- it pains me that people actually THROW them away! At any rate- I don't trade for Coke Codes, so I can't help you there. But I've often wondered what a fair trading ratio is for BTFE's and coupons. My standard actually follows your Rule of Thumb- $.10 for a $1.00 coupon (or, I say $1 coupon = 1 BTFE, so $20 coupons = 20 BTFE's). That seems pretty fair- until you have a trade with all super high value coupons or one with all super low value coupons. It all evens out in the end, I suppose...

But as one who trades for Box Tops, I try to keep my cost down to $.04 or less on the Box Tops (since I could just give the money directly to the school otherwise) to make it a "wise" use of my money. I usually require a minimum of 10 BTFE's per trade- but I'm thinking about raising that to 15. Do you have a minimum??

I'm sorry- I know I didn't really answer YOUR question, but was interested in feedback on my trading ratio from others. I always wonder if I'm being "fair".

cody82414
11-01-2011, 12:42:57 PM
But as one who trades for Box Tops, I try to keep my cost down to $.04 or less on the Box Tops (since I could just give the money directly to the school otherwise) to make it a "wise" use of my money. I usually require a minimum of 10 BTFE's per trade- but I'm thinking about raising that to 15. Do you have a minimum??

Thanks for your input!

Early on, when I was a TNT, I remember being told that $10.00 worth of coupons was the minimum amount that someone (I don't remember who) would do - just to make good use of the stamp. So I tend to want to do bigger trades.

bump for other opinions:wavehi:

cody82414
11-01-2011, 11:19:16 PM
looking for opinions:smile:

cody82414
11-02-2011, 08:38:19 AM
^

cody82414
11-02-2011, 07:29:03 PM
:wavehi:

StacyNVA
11-02-2011, 07:34:23 PM
I don't know if you'll like this answer but the btfe sell on ebay for almost full value. Even subtracting fees and what not -they are still worth 7-8 cents each on ebay.

cody82414
11-02-2011, 07:40:07 PM
I don't know if you'll like this answer but the btfe sell on ebay for almost full value. Even subtracting fees and what not -they are still worth 7-8 cents each on ebay.

I know that,
but I will not go there.
That's not me :biggrin:

trudibeth77
11-03-2011, 02:38:25 AM
I know that,
but I will not go there.
That's not me :biggrin:

Ditto! I'm amazed at what some people will pay for Box Tops- sometimes they'll go over $.10/ Box Top! I'd rather cut a check right to the school!!! Often parents will buy the Box Tops right off Ebay so their kids' class can win whatever contest is going on (at our school it's an ice cream party). Doesn't happen so much at my kids' school, I don't think... but crazy nonetheless. Oh well- to each his own, I suppose- it all benefits the school in the end. But I definitely "work" for the Box Tops I turn in- lol!

The nice thing about trading for them is that I'm trading something that I wouldn't use anyway/ is of no value to me for something that is valuable to me. There's still a cost involved (stamps, paper/ ink for the IP's I print, etc), but it probably averages out to $.03 or $.04 per Box Top for me... so I feel like that's a pretty decent use of my money. (I spend $.03- $.04 per Box Top and the school gets back $.10)

cody82414
11-03-2011, 02:47:06 AM
Often parents will buy the Box Tops right off Ebay so their kids' class can win whatever contest is going on (at our school it's an ice cream party).

tis why everyone gets a prize where I coordinate;
everyone wins
and I encourage the entire school to raise funds.
It's fun stuff!!!

joshmamabear
11-03-2011, 05:10:48 AM
I've bought BTFEs on ebay for $5 per hundred, shipped. it was much easier for me rather than go through back n forth negotiations with some traders who can't determine what they really want for their BTFEs. With BIN on ebay, they list a price that I can afford and willing to pay, I pay and done deal.

trudibeth77
11-03-2011, 06:42:40 AM
I've bought BTFEs on ebay for $5 per hundred, shipped. it was much easier for me rather than go through back n forth negotiations with some traders who can't determine what they really want for their BTFEs. With BIN on ebay, they list a price that I can afford and willing to pay, I pay and done deal.

Hi stranger!!! :wavehi:
I would love to find them on Ebay for that price! I always see them at a minimum of like $.08 or higher per BTFE- and sometimes over $.10 (if it's getting close to the end of a collection period). I don't have a problem with people buying Box Tops at that rate- again, you spend $5, the school gets $10.

I have a rule of thumb for trading for Box Tops for that very reason (people being wishy washy)... it's negotiable, but I like having a "standard" in place.

On a separate note-- do people "sell" coke codes? If so, what's the going rate? I don't know much about coke codes or how to value them...
Or do they trade for coupons? If so, what's the standard trading ratio for coupons?

trudibeth77
11-03-2011, 06:44:35 AM
tis why everyone gets a prize where I coordinate;
everyone wins
and I encourage the entire school to raise funds.
It's fun stuff!!!

I like this! I saw also on another board that one school enters everyone who turns in at least 1 box top into a raffle so everyone gets a chance to win. It's a shame that you have to incent people to turn in those Box Tops, when to me it's "found" money! I'd 1,000 times over rather collect and trade for Box Tops than go out selling items to friends and family. However, the "selling" fundraisers raise a lot more money at our school than Box Tops.

cody82414
11-04-2011, 05:53:51 AM
lots of fundraisers at their school as well...
I have explained to my boys that we cannot possible contribute to all of them
and that our passion is Box Tops!!

NotaGrandmaYet
11-04-2011, 11:02:03 AM
Hi, I am gonna jump in here because I actually cut the boxtops out even though I don't know how much they are worth. I can't let almost anything on a product box go without cutting it out. Must be a sickness, or something! :wink7: NO, wait, there used to be something that allowed you to save for kitchen utensils, and I don't cut those out anymore! :rolleyes24:

Anyway, I just wanted to say this is a helpful string of information. I guess I should organize those BTFEs instead of just putting them on the counter with the misc. mail, etc.

cody82414
11-10-2011, 05:45:05 AM

okay,
so I currently bid in an auction for .05 cents per
which is 50% of the value of the Box Top!!!
And that is as high as I am going.

I would love for someone to pay me .50 cents for a dollar coupon!!
or better
as some here on HCW are now asking :rolleyes24:

Rediculous that things have gone the way they have
even here on HCW.

trudibeth77
11-10-2011, 10:02:32 AM
okay,
so I currently bid in an auction for .05 cents per
which is 50% of the value of the Box Top!!!
And that is as high as I am going.

I would love for someone to pay me .50 cents for a dollar coupon!!
or better
as some here on HCW are now asking :rolleyes24:

Rediculous that things have gone the way they have
even here on HCW.

Good luck! Let us know if you win for that- I haven't seen them go that low in a while! I just can't get over what some people are willing to pay for Box Tops. As I said before, I'm happy to pay $.01 to $.05 per Box Top because I think it's a good return on my money. Otherwise, I'd rather cut a check directly to school so they can use the funds immediately, rather than having to wait for the Box Tops check.

FYI- love your new siggy!!!!!!! :giggle2:

trudibeth77
11-10-2011, 10:04:49 AM
Hi, I am gonna jump in here because I actually cut the boxtops out even though I don't know how much they are worth. I can't let almost anything on a product box go without cutting it out. Must be a sickness, or something! :wink7: NO, wait, there used to be something that allowed you to save for kitchen utensils, and I don't cut those out anymore! :rolleyes24:

Anyway, I just wanted to say this is a helpful string of information. I guess I should organize those BTFEs instead of just putting them on the counter with the misc. mail, etc.

Yes! Save those Box Tops and it's probably helpful to organize by expiration. They are like a currency on here- very important to a lot of us/ our schools. Thank you for saving them and not throwing them away!!!

mcscheatzle
11-12-2011, 07:25:18 AM
WOW, the only thing I have to contribute to this thread is "Thanks for bidding on my auction"? I had the BTFE sitting on my have list for a long time. A few months. No one ever contacted me about them. I decided to put them up for auction and see what I could get for them because I had seen an auction earlier in the week go very high for them. :shock1:As with anything else, I guess it is supply and demand.:dontknow1: I am sure if I went through my cupboards, I could find another 30 or so.

As for the auction YOU CHOSE TO BID ON the initial bid would have been .025/BTFE. Not really unreasonable IMHO. The final and winning bid chosen was 5.50 pp gift and the following padding:

(2) Free Jr. Frosty
(4) 1.00 off Krunchers! Kettle Cooked Potato Chips
(2) .30/1 Pillsbury Sweet Rolls OR Grands! Sweet Rolls
(2) 1.25/1 Campbell's Slow Kettle style soup
(6) .75/1 any VALLEY FRESH can chicken breast

No one forced you to bid. As a matter of fact you doubled the amount of the bids, on your second bid. There was no minimum increment to be bid. The bid before yours was 2.50. You could have bid 2.51 and won if it had ended there. My point is, I don't feel I was asking for anything crazy. I found this post offensive. I understand that you feel you have been taken advantage of for some reason. It was not by me or my auction. Maybe it just happened to be my auction that sent you "over the edge". I am sorry for you for that.:thanks7::soapbox:

cody82414
11-13-2011, 08:39:51 AM
wasn't/isn't you or your auction at all

coupongal
11-15-2011, 09:25:16 AM
cody82414, I do not have kids in school and I have several other people giving me
BTFE's besides having some myself. Since money is in short supply here
I really like trading for coupons or what have you for the BTFE's. I'm fine with a trade
of 1.00 coupon= 1 BTFE. Perhaps more if the coupons are hot.
I have never traded for coke codes from caps. It takes 30 caps to get one free coke though. I think the printed panels off the boxes are more tradeable.
The retail value of the coke 20 0z would be .99- 1.49 or so I was wondering what
trade value might be also.
I understand money wise now that you put it in perspective why people that
"buy" BTFE's don't want to pay .10 (full value) for them. That is wise and frugal. I
have never sold any out right. But what I don't understand is are you saying in your siggy that it isn't fair to value a BTFE at .10 for trade value?

cody82414
11-15-2011, 09:45:30 AM
But what I don't understand is are you saying in your siggy that it isn't fair to value a BTFE at .10 for trade value?

yep.:smile:
that's exactly what I am saying,
as I do not think that is a fair trade.

Unless that is that someone wants to give me $1.00 for a dollar coupon in a trade.

Summing up,
I am not one of those that will pay .10 for a .10 Box Top for Education
nor do I think that that is a fair trade.

cody82414
05-02-2012, 01:44:34 AM
bumping this up again :biggrin:

as the last two auctions, BTFEs have gone for .0370 and .0375 cents per:BigHand:

Maybe, just maybe the asking price on a fair trading site will go down :dontknow1:

A Mom trying to make a difference can hope, right?:smile:

joshmamabear
05-02-2012, 05:55:24 AM
WOW, the only thing I have to contribute to this thread is "Thanks for bidding on my auction"? I had the BTFE sitting on my have list for a long time. A few months. No one ever contacted me about them. I decided to put them up for auction and see what I could get for them because I had seen an auction earlier in the week go very high for them. :shock1:As with anything else, I guess it is supply and demand.:dontknow1: I am sure if I went through my cupboards, I could find another 30 or so.

As for the auction YOU CHOSE TO BID ON the initial bid would have been .025/BTFE. Not really unreasonable IMHO. The final and winning bid chosen was 5.50 pp gift and the following padding:

(2) Free Jr. Frosty
(4) 1.00 off Krunchers! Kettle Cooked Potato Chips
(2) .30/1 Pillsbury Sweet Rolls OR Grands! Sweet Rolls
(2) 1.25/1 Campbell's Slow Kettle style soup
(6) .75/1 any VALLEY FRESH can chicken breast

No one forced you to bid. As a matter of fact you doubled the amount of the bids, on your second bid. There was no minimum increment to be bid. The bid before yours was 2.50. You could have bid 2.51 and won if it had ended there. My point is, I don't feel I was asking for anything crazy. I found this post offensive. I understand that you feel you have been taken advantage of for some reason. It was not by me or my auction. Maybe it just happened to be my auction that sent you "over the edge". I am sorry for you for that.:thanks7::soapbox:This explains it well and very much applicable to any auction, even ebay auctions. I see a lot of people angry @ ebay sellers who get to sell their "coupons" for "too much money". I think the anger is displaced when sellers list it for auction with initial bid of .01 for let's say, (20) $15/1 super hot coupon (we should blame the 'net for spread of MMs that makes people treat coupons like gold :giggle2:)has final bid of $100 or more (if buyer thinks they're still ahead with $60 overages after paying for Qs, why not?), why blame the seller? It is true that no one forces anyone to bid. This simply follows the law of supply and demand. Buyers have their own reasons for the prices they're willing to pay, that no one can question :whistle67:

cody82414
05-02-2012, 08:37:15 AM
Guess my 'anger is displaced' :giggle1: