PDA

View Full Version : Small changes, for a new me.

PeachySteph
08-20-2011, 07:59:16 AM
I don't know about you, but if I'm not held accountable and pestered to do something every day that will benefit my physical well-being, I will not do it.

It's just so difficult to motivate myself to do anything.

My husband is in the military and is in amazing physical condition.
He works so hard to take care of himself for me, to do his very best at his job, while still being a great husband and dad. I think he deserves a trophy wife in all aspects. He tells me that I am everything a husband could ever want, and that my physical appearance would never change how he feels for me. :<3: Still, I feel like I should be doing more to take care of myself for HIM. My health would obviously benefit from it as well.

Here's the deal... and boy do I hate putting this out there.

Before we had our three wonderful kids, I was 115-120 lbs on a 5'3" frame.
Today (after losing 10 lbs in one week :dontknow1:) I am at 190. All that weight on a 5'3" frame takes a serious toll on joints.
I have a labral tear in my right hip, and something wrong with the left as well that docs can't seem to figure out. So when I exercise I have to be very careful not to aggravate it and make the pain worse. I also have low blood pressure which often leaves me feeling tired and sluggish, and makes it difficult to get my heart rate up and body working hard enough to really burn off the fat.

These sound like excuses, but they're not. It just makes it more difficult for me to get anywhere with exercise. But I still try.

A couple years ago I did P90x for 30 days. I lost 40 lbs and 16" off my entire body. I looked great! and boy was it HARD. At this point, with my hip being as bad as it is, it is very difficult to just jump back into P90x. Especially since it requires a solid hour of workout time -- not always possible with three kids. So I am taking it one day at a time, slowly doing more each day. Eventually, getting back to the point of being able to do p90x.

My goals are pretty simple.

1. stay away from processed and fast foods.
2. no sugary drinks. no soda, no juice (unless 100% and all natural), no 'hand-crafted' beverages, etc.
3. water -- LOTS OF IT -- at least 12oz of water before every snack/meal
4. Eat naturally. The way your body NEEDS you to. Fresh fruits/veggies, lean protein, whole wheat/grains, and the proper amount of carbs (details to follow)
5. MOVE THAT BUTT
6. enjoy life. not just what you're doing, but observe the small things. In your family, in yourself, in others, in nature. The little blessings in life.

I worked with a nutritionist while I had gestational diabetes with our third child. She gave me some great tips, which should be followed by EVERYONE, diabetes or not!

- have some form of protein with every snack/meal: peanut butter, cheese, nuts, eggs, beans, meat, etc.
- watch those carbs. NOT MEANING LOW-CARB DIETING. The reason those diets don't last long for some people, is because their bodies are not able to function on them.
**General Rule**
- 15 carbs per snack
- 30 for breakfast
- 45-60 for lunch
- 45-60 for dinner
I know that counting isn't exactly fun and seems to make things harder. Once you do it for a week or two it gets very easy and you can easily estimate what different foods have.

- watch the fruits. if you have a fruit you need to have a form of protein with it. your body processes them very quickly and your sugar will drop fast and make you want to eat again very soon. the protein helps maintain sugar levels to keep you feeling full longer.
- try to have at least 3g of fiber with each meal/snack. fiber also helps maintain sugar levels and keeps you feeling full longer. not to mention it keeps you regular, which helps get that pesky scale to do what you want it to do. :wink7:
- free foods, eat as much as you want (don't count toward carbs): watermelon, veggies (except corn and potatoes), protein (unless it's breaded/battered/fried) with these foods you need to have some amount of carbs, preferably containing fiber.

General ideas of food 'measurements' allowed

2/3c of rice or potatoes with your meal which should contain a protein and as much veggies as you want. Brown rice, or baked potato are best.

1 slice of whole wheat bread (with at least 3g of fiber per slice) is 15-25 carbs. Check your label if you're unsure.

1 tsp of sugar is 5 carbs (for those coffee/tea drinkers)

1 serving of milk is about 12 carbs. this can be paired with snacks/meals to bring up your carb count to the amount you need.

I'm sure I'll think of more guidelines to post.

By following the above rules, I only gained 10 lbs during that entire pregnancy!

Every day I will do my best to post the small changes I make to bring me close to a new me, and would like others to do the same. Whether it's not parking so close to walk a little farther, eating right for that day, or doing some form of exercise. We need to hold each other accountable and pester each other to keep working on ourselves!

PeachySteph
08-20-2011, 08:00:35 AM
The best advice I have ever gotten from nutritionists, physical trainers, and friends:

"Don't pay much attention to what the scale says. Instead, focus on how YOU feel and how YOUR CLOTHES feel."

bugweena
08-20-2011, 10:21:09 AM
"Don't pay much attention to what the scale says. Instead, focus on how YOU feel and how YOUR CLOTHES feel."

I would agree on this! Good luck to you. :BigHand: Sounds like your health issues may prevent you from doing as much as you want to, but even if you can just walk during lunch (I have recently started doing this!) or take a short walk with the kids will make you feel much better.

Keep us posted! Taking small steps, whether trying to lose weight or make some other life change, is the way to go!

PeachySteph
08-20-2011, 10:53:05 AM
I would agree on this! Good luck to you. :BigHand: Sounds like your health issues may prevent you from doing as much as you want to, but even if you can just walk during lunch (I have recently started doing this!) or take a short walk with the kids will make you feel much better.

Keep us posted! Taking small steps, whether trying to lose weight or make some other life change, is the way to go!

I've got a treadmill at home, so I have no excuse to not walk at least once each day. Unless, my hip is being nasty to me. :rolleyes24:

We just got back from the playground, where I made some extra effort and walked around for a while pushing the stroller while my other two played. :biggrin: At 93 degrees it feels like I walked a mile or two. :summer3:

Now we're going to relax and watch a movie together, while the baby naps. :<3:

lovelace
08-20-2011, 11:13:28 AM
Good for you this post hit hard to me today I walk to my SIL house to pick up my mail frebbies anad why that such great news it only a block from my house.

ilove2$hop
08-20-2011, 12:11:07 PM
great tips! ;) good luck on your journey ;)

cody82414
08-20-2011, 03:18:18 PM
My goals are pretty simple.

1. stay away from processed and fast foods.
2. no sugary drinks. no soda, no juice (unless 100% and all natural), no 'hand-crafted' beverages, etc.
3. water -- LOTS OF IT -- at least 12oz of water before every snack/meal
4. Eat naturally. The way your body NEEDS you to. Fresh fruits/veggies, lean protein, whole wheat/grains, and the proper amount of carbs (details to follow)
5. MOVE THAT BUTT
6. enjoy life. not just what you're doing, but observe the small things. In your family, in yourself, in others, in nature. The little blessings in life.

Great goals for everyone!

My best to you on your journey:smile:

VivaciousJewelz
08-20-2011, 05:26:38 PM
Awesome!

Today is day 1 of me doing my Wii fit exercise... Boy did it kick my butt.

Jessi
08-20-2011, 05:29:40 PM
I need to walk more. I am walking 2 days a week to our county line on a country road and back with DD in the stroller but I can't seem to move my butt to walk another day or two.(The county line is about 2.5 miles from my driveway, so that is 5 miles in one day walked.):sad3:

434Teresa
08-20-2011, 06:03:21 PM
You know I think we all eat better if the good for us food were not so high. If it comes in a bag or box you can usually get a deal and get more food amount for the money.

I try to stay away from those things now days but its really hard since there is 6 of us on one income. We all like fresh fruits and vegys its just the cost...I am not able to have a garden and I am not good at canning things anyway(for for I can cook anything).

I am hoping to start walking some when I drop my twins off at pre K next week. But I to have hip problems,breathing problems and right now a knee problem that I go to the bone & joint dr for on monday.

Anyway I wish you the best with your goals

PeachySteph
08-21-2011, 05:08:15 AM
You know I think we all eat better if the good for us food were not so high. If it comes in a bag or box you can usually get a deal and get more food amount for the money.

I try to stay away from those things now days but its really hard since there is 6 of us on one income. We all like fresh fruits and vegys its just the cost...I am not able to have a garden and I am not good at canning things anyway(for for I can cook anything).

I am hoping to start walking some when I drop my twins off at pre K next week. But I to have hip problems,breathing problems and right now a knee problem that I go to the bone & joint dr for on monday.

Anyway I wish you the best with your goals

I feel the same way, and am in the same situation with the fresh foods. Except I did find one way to make it a little easier. Buying as much as I can when they're on sale, and freezing them. I found a great site that helped me do it: Freezing Fruits and Vegetables (http://farmgal.tripod.com/Freezerbasics.html)

My hips often keep me from being as active as I want to. But I have to be hard on myself and yell at myself "Sitting around gaining weight isn't going to help it. Taking some weight off those joints will!" :giggle2: yes I'm very mean to myself... but that's the only thing that works. Strangely, when others do the same to me (their way of encouraging me) it just discourages me.

I've had this pain for so long (7yrs) that I'm pretty used to the 'normal' level of it and can push through it and exercise. Of course, there are times where the joints are incredibly weak and feel like they're 'giving out'. Certainly then, I must take it easy for my own safety. :rolleyes24: -- it annoys the h*ll out of me though.

nilda32
08-21-2011, 07:59:29 AM
I'm just about in your same situation. I'm 5'2 and went from 126 lbs to 180 lbs. I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Most of the time pain prevents me from doing the simple things. I've have to stop doing a lot of things I enjoy doing because of the pain. On my good days, I walk up four flights of stairs at work and walk the track at lunch time. During the Fall and Winter months, it's horrible for me to do anything. Most of the time I'm bed ridden due to so much pain. So I do what I can when I feel good and I eat healthy to avoid more weight gain.

PeachySteph
08-21-2011, 08:04:35 AM
Well, I got 50 minutes on the treadmill until my sugar started plummeting. Ugh I hate that feeling.

PeachySteph
08-21-2011, 08:05:03 AM
I'm just about in your same situation. I'm 5'2 and went from 126 lbs to 180 lbs. I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Most of the time pain prevents me from doing the simple things. I've have to stop doing a lot of things I enjoy doing because of the pain. On my good days, I walk up four flights of stairs at work and walk the track at lunch time. During the Fall and Winter months, it's horrible for me to do anything. Most of the time I'm bed ridden due to so much pain. So I do what I can when I feel good and I eat healthy to avoid more weight gain.

:BigHand: sounds like you're doing your very best to take care of yourself. I do the same thing on my bad days. Especially when the weather gets nasty.. it makes my hips worse. On my bad days I'm extra careful about what I eat so I don't gain extra weight between then and when I can exercise again.

nilda32
08-21-2011, 11:10:24 AM
:BigHand: sounds like you're doing your very best to take care of yourself. I do the same thing on my bad days. Especially when the weather gets nasty.. it makes my hips worse. On my bad days I'm extra careful about what I eat so I don't gain extra weight between then and when I can exercise again.

Every chance I get. :smile: Since my weight gain, I've gotten high blood pressure so on top of the pain meds, I'm on beta blockers too. We can only do the best we can when we are able. :BigHand:

PeachySteph
08-25-2011, 06:13:23 AM
I've been doing well eating properly. Haven't been able to get a good workout in the last couple days. I have been busy preparing the house for hubby's return. Yes, it's just one day he'll be home, but it's better than nothing!

kimandkathess
08-25-2011, 07:55:40 PM
Thanks for your post :) I knew I wasn't the only one that felt like this.
I always used to be pretty much in shape 130-135lbs on a 5'7" frame.
I then had 3 kids, everything changed and I have had a lot of health problems.

I know what I should and shouldnt eat, how to workout and when to change things up....i have done so much research, the problem is, ive stockpiled so much processed and unhealthy foods that I just am drawn back to those easy to make convienience foods that I can get my bang for my buck.

I guess with the knowledge I need the motivation. I would love to be this super fit and healthy person that could pass the knowledge onto someone else. I would love to participate in runs as well as the wonderful obstical courses I see everywhere...

How do you motivate yourself? I have the same problem with the blood sugar getting low. If I don't eat often I start shaking and get light headed.

PeachySteph
08-26-2011, 05:19:42 AM
While eating processed foods isn't ideal, you can keep them from adding extra pounds. When they call for butter, use light or other heathier options. Choose the whole wheat or whole grain options. Give yourself less of a serving than usual if carb or sugar count is high. Add more protein to your plate to help fill you up. Things like that will help keep your stockpile from adding pounds.

Of course, exercising will also prevent it.

My motivation? My husband. :) Also, the fact that if I stay like this for much longer my health will rapidly go downhill.

biscottilover
08-28-2011, 02:17:57 PM
How did you like P90x? I know just a little about it, not much. Basically, all I know is that guy on the infomercials has some ripped abs. It intrigued me when you said it was about an hour workout. Is it mostly sitting down? standing up? aerobics? weight training? I've had recent heel problems and knee pain, so I'm trying to do exercises other than running/cardio.

Anyway keep up the good work on the exercise and healthy eating!

PeachySteph
08-28-2011, 08:03:43 PM
There are many different workouts -- purposely to cause muscle confusion and keep your body changing. Each day is focused on a different muscle group. All workouts can be modified to make it easier on you until you get stronger. You do not need to buy weights or a chin up bar, but you should get resistance bands. We put a hook in the ceiling and use the bands on that to give me the same workout that a chin-up bar would. Love what it does for my back/shoulders. There are also three different phases of it too. Lean, Classic, and Doubles. Lean is the easiest and will give you a lean trimmed look. Classic is a little more difficult and gives a little more muscle definition, and of course Doubles is the hardest with the most muscle definition.

You do have to do cardio though. That burns a lot of fat and keeps your heart healthy. You should try a stationary bike, or a elliptical machine. Those are low-impact.

JulieDB
08-28-2011, 11:17:22 PM
When was the lasst time you saw a Dr.? Losing 10 pounds in a week sets off alarm bells. Since you had gestational diabetes and you've put on weight you could very likely have type 2 diabetes. But the rapid weight loss also sounds like it could be a thyroid problem. I would urge you to get a physical ASAP. Mention the weight gain and the weight loss.

As for the fruit juice, you'd be wise not to have it at all ever. Adults just don't need it.

PeachySteph
08-29-2011, 04:20:40 AM
When was the lasst time you saw a Dr.? Losing 10 pounds in a week sets off alarm bells. Since you had gestational diabetes and you've put on weight you could very likely have type 2 diabetes. But the rapid weight loss also sounds like it could be a thyroid problem. I would urge you to get a physical ASAP. Mention the weight gain and the weight loss.

As for the fruit juice, you'd be wise not to have it at all ever. Adults just don't need it.

The last time I saw a Dr.?! Well, let's see... I had a baby about 9 months ago. So I saw one then, and then again for my postpartum checkup, and again for my yearly. I'm sorry I didn't mention specifics about my postpartum checkups -- thought it was a given.... everything checked out fine, no diabetes. I didn't want to mention the cause of the weight loss (after I figured it out), because it's really no one's business... but it was from feeling rather nauseous, etc. from my birth control pills along with the stress of my husband being away and the s**t hitting the fan while he's gone.

I haven't put on any weight, aside from the mere 10 lbs during the last pregnancy.. which I lost pretty much right after delivery. :dontknow1: In case you're talking about the difference between before kids and after... that's over a 7year time period and 3 pregnancies.

As far as fruit juice goes, I very rarely drink it.. but some people like it. Just like with other drinks (alcohol, coffee, etc.) it's all fine in moderation.

Anyhoo... today my daughter is going to miss school thanks to a nasty cold that's being passed around our family. I am finally on the receiving end, as of today - yay. :hectic: Still not letting it hold me down. As soon as my youngest DS is down for his late-morning nap, I'm working out.