PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette for waiting for a reply

SMR80
07-06-2011, 08:39:27 PM
When I post something into the trades forum, get halfway through a deal then don't hear back from the person, what is the proper amount of time before I post again and move on?

I was thinking that the first one to seal the deal got the item. I don't like sitting on the q's for ex. 2 days just to see if I hear back!

Anyone help me out with this? :thanks7:

motherofmolly
07-06-2011, 08:46:13 PM
24 hours is what i go on. i know some expect the person to type back right away and answer....i assume 24 hours is enough if you are working on a deal because you would think the other person would make time to log on to finish up. but that might just be me.

i dont care too much for "the first person seals the deal". i had a trader do that with me and a few others. i almost sent paypal and someone else also did that were not "the one". one other person did "win" so to speak. I dont think that is fare since most assume if you get an email that says "sure what about x" that you are willing to work with them in a timely manner. i dont like the idea of searching and looking, taking the time to type it out only to get a "sorry you didnt respond quickly for x and so and so already agreed to a trade"....

CW&M Mom
07-06-2011, 10:51:38 PM
I would say 24 hours too...and I know that some are not here on Sundays so I give more time if it is around Sunday as well.

SMR80
07-07-2011, 07:08:16 AM
You guys are awsome! Thanks

heatcol127
07-07-2011, 08:18:53 AM
24 hours is what i go on. i know some expect the person to type back right away and answer....i assume 24 hours is enough if you are working on a deal because you would think the other person would make time to log on to finish up. but that might just be me.

i dont care too much for "the first person seals the deal". i had a trader do that with me and a few others. i almost sent paypal and someone else also did that were not "the one". one other person did "win" so to speak. I dont think that is fare since most assume if you get an email that says "sure what about x" that you are willing to work with them in a timely manner. i dont like the idea of searching and looking, taking the time to type it out only to get a "sorry you didnt respond quickly for x and so and so already agreed to a trade"....

i agree with the above poster. just recently some one posted something in the classified section and i pm'd that i wanted it and had agreed on the price..... it was over the weekend and i work 16 hr shifts so only access is my phone...but then the poster had sent a question about shipping that i had not expected...so i answered that expecting the next pm might have their pp addie so i could pay...NOPE... the next pm told me they sold it to some one else. i sent them a pm telling them exactly how i felt about how they handled that and that i would be sure to never trade with them again.

Pennstater
07-10-2011, 09:40:07 AM
http://static.hotcouponworld.com/forums/images_hcw/misc/images_hcw/spacer.gif heatcol127 (http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/members/heatcol127-39627.html) this has happened to me also. Anyway, I remember from my 'ole sales manager days, we used to say, in the proposal "we are not holding this space for you at this time" ( I worked in hotel sales) In your trade PMs, you could say, you are not holding the coupons for the person until pymt is received, or something to that effect maybe?

I usually base my waiting time on, how often does that person log in, daily, or once a week? How many trades have they completed? Over 100, they will probably answer right away, 18 trade, they may take a few days.

I find it tough to know also!

Jenjill
07-18-2011, 10:29:59 AM
I had a mix of the above responses. I figure 24 hrs is good amt of time. I also depends if the person is asking you to trade or you are asking her. I found that especially true in TNT. Will let you know if it changes now that I am a full trader.

Mama Stu
07-18-2011, 10:38:36 AM
I think 24 hours is an appropriate time also. What really irritates me is when someone posts an ISO, you PM them and NEVER hear back. I understand that life can get in the way, but two or three days later, her ISO was still there. IMHO it's rude not to respond to a PM, if only to say, sorry I already got what I needed.