PDA

View Full Version : Layered Mexican Casserole - Betty Crocker

chitownmelli
04-26-2011, 07:03:21 AM
Found this recipe today and thought it looked really good - I plan to make a lot of the stuff that it calls for on my own though, like the beans, spanish rice and salsa. Enjoy!

Layered Mexican Casserole – Betty Crocker

INGREDIENTS

1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 jar (16 oz) Old El Paso® Thick ‘n Chunky salsa
8 corn tortillas (6 inch)
1 can (16 oz) Old El Paso® refried beans
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (6 oz)
1 can (15 oz) Spanish rice
1 cup coarsely crushed tortilla chips

DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 11x7-inch (2-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. In 10-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in 1 cup of the salsa; heat about 2 minutes or until hot.

Line baking dish with 4 tortillas, overlapping to fit. In medium bowl, stir together refried beans and remaining salsa; spoon over tortillas, and spread evenly. Top with half of the meat mixture and 3/4 cup of the cheese. Layer 4 more tortillas over cheese. Spoon and spread Spanish rice over tortillas. Top with remaining meat mixture and cheese. Top with tortilla chips.

Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until hot in center and bubbling along sides.

hopeky94
04-26-2011, 08:28:42 AM
Sounds yummy- thanks for sharing! :smile:

I think I could figure out how to make my own refried beans (basically, mash up some cooked pinto beans with a little seasoning, right)... but could you post your recipes for spanish rice and salsa, please? TIA!!

chitownmelli
04-26-2011, 08:46:33 AM
here is my recipe for refried beans. It's not hard at all: http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/crockpot-meals/387990-crock-pot-refried-beans.html

here's one that looks good for spanish rice: Spanish Rice II Recipe - Allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spanish-Rice-II/Detail.aspx)

and I dont really have a salsa recipe - I kinda just toss it together as I go so it's never the same.

Hope you try this recipe, I know we're going to sometime in the next week or so.

hopeky94
04-26-2011, 11:43:54 AM
Oh, I remember that crockpot refried bean recipe and thought it sounded very yummy!

And I think you're right about the Spanish Rice recipe you found-- esp. after reading suggestions in the first review to use bacon grease instead of vegetable oil and add chopped garlic (those are right up my alley)! LOL

So the salsa that you make-- is it more like a pico de gallo (fresh raw veggies vs. cooked and more saucy)?

3timesoccermom
04-26-2011, 03:16:53 PM
Wow that rice recipe is almost exactly like the one I've been making for more years than I want to say except I usually use salsa instead of the tomatoes and green chilis. I also add cilantro, minced garlic, a little oregano and cumin, a couple of drops of liquid smoke and use beef or chicken broth depending on whether I'm having beef or chicken with it. We all love it and it's WAYYYYYY better than restaurant spanish rice.

chitownmelli
04-26-2011, 03:23:23 PM
The salsa I make is the fresh veggie tasting one, I would like to make the cooked and saucy one, but I dont really know how lol! That's one thing I never learned to make, see, salsa is on my very long list of dishes that I make and have never eaten - right there with all those salads I love to make for other people lol!!!!!