PDA

View Full Version : Finish what you've started (craft) challenge

tonyarn
12-31-2010, 03:59:33 PM
Can we handle just one more challenge? This one should be pretty fun. I know that I personally have a closet full of half finished crafts and just random craft supplies. I am challenging anyone who would like to join me to finish just one craft per month...12 crafts total...from your "closet" of unfinished crafts. Is anyone with me?

love2save
12-31-2010, 04:17:00 PM
I'll join ya. I mostly crochet and make rag rugs. Only have one project going right now (baby blanket) but just finished 3 winter scarfs for grandbabies.

froggie3
12-31-2010, 05:02:24 PM
I am all in on this one. I don't do crafts so much as sewing....my list of sewing projects is HUGE.....I will commit to one per month....but the quilt might count for 2 months when I start it(it is a tshirt quilt for our bed).

VivaciousJewelz
12-31-2010, 05:06:44 PM
Wow! What a cool topic! Maybe I should get back into crocheting. :giggle2:

sbp
12-31-2010, 07:22:19 PM
Oh, I'm so in!!!!

I know I can come up at least 12 WIP (works in progress) projects in my closet!!!!

aimeebee
12-31-2010, 08:18:21 PM
OH YEAH. I have 12 UFOs around here for sure. ( UFO = Un Finished Object) First up is the rag rug I started for the bathroom. After that, most are knitting and scrapbooking projects. I'm IN!!

heartse
12-31-2010, 09:58:50 PM
I'm in! I have a TON of projects on the slate that need to be crossed off the list finally. I have to start with finishing up my DD's pjs that were supposed to be a Christmas present.

hrdlckwmn
01-01-2011, 10:23:31 AM
i'm in if someone is willing to help me stay accountable and on track for i'll quickly lose track of what i'm doing. Got one knitting ufo and two (i think) ufos around here, plus scrapbooking, that is if the eldest gives me time alone to do things and i don't get distracted. ( i suffer from bright shiny object syndrome sometimes)

VivaciousJewelz
01-01-2011, 11:00:06 AM
I think at the end of the month, you should post pics of the project yoou completed so we can "oooh" and "aaah" over it! :smile:

heartse
01-01-2011, 01:00:26 PM
I think at the end of the month, you should post pics of the project yoou completed so we can "oooh" and "aaah" over it! :smile:

That's a fantastic idea! :D

MrsPinecone
01-01-2011, 01:03:29 PM
I have 3 knitting UFOs that I need to finish before I cast on the awesome alpaca shawl I want to knit for the county fair this year. I seem to have lost my knitting mojo.

So, I need to finish:

DDs kimono sweater -- it's super bulky on size 11 needles, for God's sake.

Lucky Red Cowl -- 4 repeats left.

DSs Weasley sweater -- need to do the sleeves and collar.

tonyarn
01-01-2011, 08:50:30 PM

Great idea and should give some accountability!

lovelace
01-01-2011, 10:59:10 PM
No lol but I did hang 2 calendars today, last year I hung 0 never open them so for me that's a biggie

tonyarn
01-03-2011, 03:21:50 PM
I made a "celebration plate" today, need to cook it and it'll be done...will post pictures.

turtlegirl115
01-04-2011, 11:39:26 AM
Count me in! I am the world's worst at buying crafts and never making time to do them. Ugh! I recently bought a corkboard and fabric to make a zebra print monogrammed corkboard for my cousin for Christmas but never finished it. So that will be first on my list even though it's the last thing I bought.

If anyone needs inspiration check out youcanmakethis.com. Warning...may cause more UFO. :giggle2:

tonyarn
01-05-2011, 08:01:34 PM
When I was about 5ish months pregnant with my DD, I started a cross stitch for her bedroom...she'll be graduating this spring...it's not done. THAT is what I truly need to work on!

I also have a latch hook rug unfinished.

I'm taking a knitting class this Friday, but I borrowed everything instead of buying it so that if its something I can't pick up, I can just return everything. LOL!

love2save
01-06-2011, 07:14:04 PM
I finished this green baby blanket today!!

froggie3
01-08-2011, 08:06:55 AM
I am making progress on my unpaper towels...got them all cut out!!!

heartse
01-15-2011, 07:11:39 PM
I have finished my first craft of the year! I made PJs for my DD. I saw this fabric and thought it was THE CUTEST! It's all beanut butter and jelly stuff, in case you can see exactly what's on there. DD loves them! :hd1::hd2::hd1:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/heartse/IMG_2705.jpg http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/heartse/IMG_2708.jpg

sns4063
01-17-2011, 08:57:20 AM
I'll join in on this one! I have so much crafting "stuff" but have just not made the time to make anything. I want to make a Valentine's day wall hanging for the living room and something to put up in my craft room too.

cjpsmom
01-24-2011, 09:47:03 PM
I am making progress on my unpaper towels...got them all cut out!!!
What is unpaper towel?...sounds like a $$ saver.

I have finished my first craft of the year! I made PJs for my DD. I saw this fabric and thought it was THE CUTEST! It's all beanut butter and jelly stuff, in case you can see exactly what's on there. DD loves them! :hd1::hd2::hd1:
Precious! I tried to rep ya but sumpin' happened.:dontknow1:

cjpsmom
01-24-2011, 09:50:11 PM
Please count me...I really need to get busy on some quilt tops longing to be quilts....and scrapbooking....and more projects I want to do....and...and...well, you get the point.

cjpsmom
01-26-2011, 02:12:13 PM
Thanks for lighting the fire under me...I've got one quilt on my sewing machine and is almost done with the quilting portion...and I started back on some potholders that I messed up the binding on-they were going to be gifts but since I messed them up, they will be for my use...will post a pic as soon as I have something to show.

froggie3
02-01-2011, 05:09:22 AM
What is unpaper towel?...sounds like a $$ saver.

Precious! I tried to rep ya but sumpin' happened.:dontknow1:

Unpaper towels are a HUGE money saver. I use them in place of paper towels for most everything you would use a paper towel for. Then I just wash them and reuse.

I did finally put the snaps on this shirt and finished this diaper for my daughter last night. The fabric is ooga booga and I LOVE it.

I also finished some babylegs to go with a blanket/burp cloth set for a guy DH works with. His wife just had a baby girl.

aimeebee
02-03-2011, 10:16:57 PM
I crafted today!! I made a Valentine's Day Rag Wreath. Everything came from my craft stash except the wire hanger. I couldn't find one here, so I "borrowed" one from a neighbor. I sure hope she doesn't want it back, cause I like the way it turned out. LOL. Very easy project and I used up some material that had been in my stash for almost a decade!! I snapped the picture with my netbook webcam, so it isn't the best photo ever.

cjpsmom
02-07-2011, 12:30:27 PM
I love what y'all have done!!!
I did get me some diaper cloth ordered for the non paper towels...is this kinda defeating the purpose of this thread? Adding more projects before you finish others...hmmmmmm.

I did finish a lap quilt this weekend (will post pic later) and will finish cutting fabric for another quilt "project" tonight (I hope)...then on to attaching binding to another quilt to finish it off. (and you really don't want to know how many quilt tops I have that are not even close to the quilting stage:)...)

froggie3
02-08-2011, 02:09:06 PM
Got my unpaper towels finished, but ran out of snaps, so have to get some more snaps for the last 5.

I also added to my project list....as soon as I get the pattern from mom I will be making my daughter a chair (http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m9665-products-7196.php?page_id=106) for her 1st birthday...we are doing a raggedy ann inspired birthday, she will be getting the doll, so the chair will be in the same colors.

aimeebee
02-08-2011, 03:57:41 PM
Yeah, I think that is a big part of my problem. I'm always adding on new projects, usually before I even start on the stash I already have. But, I have only been in the craft store once since the holidays, to scout out 80%-90% off deals. I spent about $5 of my Christmas gift card money that day. So, if my most of my "new" projects are using up stuff I already have..I'm going to call it a good thing. :smile:

heartse
02-09-2011, 05:18:48 AM
Yep, I just keep adding more and more projects to my list. It's a sickness. :giggle:

That said, I finished another project last night - a set of 6 placemats. These are reversible; one side is Valentine's day, and the other is St. Patrick's day. My DD was so excited about them - it was funny.

Next up - a Valentine's day outfit for DD. I asked her to pick out the fabric. She chose this floral fabric that barely has any pink in it, and blue for the pants.

froggie3
02-09-2011, 05:01:38 PM
I'm on a bit of a roll right now, but the list just keeps getting longer. :giggle2:

Finished these up today for my son.

cjpsmom
02-09-2011, 05:55:33 PM
Got my unpaper towels finished, but ran out of snaps, so have to get some more snaps for the last 5.

I also added to my project list....as soon as I get the pattern from mom I will be making my daughter a chair (http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m9665-products-7196.php?page_id=106) for her 1st birthday...we are doing a raggedy ann inspired birthday, she will be getting the doll, so the chair will be in the same colors.
Question...you used two layers with snaps to hold the two? And did you serge yours or hem them? Sorry but this is the project I added to my list.:giggle2:

Yeah, I think that is a big part of my problem. I'm always adding on new projects, usually before I even start on the stash I already have. But, I have only been in the craft store once since the holidays, to scout out 80%-90% off deals. I spent about $5 of my Christmas gift card money that day. So, if my most of my "new" projects are using up stuff I already have..I'm going to call it a good thing. :smile:
:BigHand:That takes will power!! I have a problem with craft stores...I have just about forbidden myself to go inside one.:giggle2:
It is a good thing...once you use up your "supply", you get to go shop for more.:giggle2:

Here is my two projects I finished this week (so far)..one a lap quilt started over almost five yrs ago for DH and the other is a scrap block that I turned into a small pot holder.

froggie3
02-09-2011, 06:00:47 PM
For the unpaper I did 2 layers, sewed them right sides facing and then turned and sewed the hole closed that I turned them through(could top stitch all the way around if you wanted, but I didn't). You could just serge them as 2 layers if you wanted, which would be faster, but I don't have a serger yet(I want one so bad though). I then put the snaps on so I could roll them on an old paper towel roll and then hung the roll on my paper towel holder.

cjpsmom
02-09-2011, 06:13:59 PM
I know what you mean on the serger..I've got access to one but don't want to have to use it.
Gotcha on the how to...thanks.

aimeebee
02-09-2011, 07:05:57 PM
LOL, cjpsmom. I think I could craft every.single.day. for years to come before I would need to get more supplies. Well, I would probably run out of scrapbook adhesive, but not paper and not photos.

I was wondering what the snaps were for on those unpaper towels.

AWESOME job on the quilts. Very nice. I am not a quilter or even much of a seamstress, so that makes me all the more impressed with the quilts and towels you guys are doing! :smile:

cjpsmom
02-11-2011, 12:41:46 PM
I finished another reject potholder...definately not pic material though in my opinion...almost done cutting fabric (I'm so slow with no spare time it seems)...this weekend's plan is FINISH cutting the next quilt class quilt-get binding on another quilt-start cutting diaper fabric for dish towels/rags/napkins...this is the general plan...we'll see how I do....have a good weekend!

heartse
02-16-2011, 08:59:44 PM
I finished the shirt for my DD. She picked out the fabric... very 70's!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/heartse/JazzHands.jpg

cjpsmom
02-17-2011, 05:51:04 AM
Coooool man!!!;)

MrsPinecone
02-17-2011, 06:44:54 AM
So, I need to finish:

DDs kimono sweater -- it's super bulky on size 11 needles, for God's sake.

Lucky Red Cowl -- 4 repeats left.

DSs Weasley sweater -- need to do the sleeves and collar.

I determined that the reason I haven't finished DDs sweater is that it's boring to knit and I am not liking the results. It's been frogged.

Cowl is done and has been worn.

Still sitting on DS sweater. I may have to add ribbing to the bottom because he just had a huge growth spurt and has outgrown the sweater before I finished it. Or I will just rip it out and reuse the yarn.

cjpsmom
02-21-2011, 11:53:22 AM
Got busy on napkins from diaper cloth...finished 40 napkins, 3 dishtowels (on the way to being paper towel free-kinda) and added binding to another quilt....yes, I binding one currently and now have one waiting for me....I'm lovin' this challenge...again, THANKS!!

cjpsmom
02-28-2011, 11:13:12 AM
Come on gals.....has someone finished anything new?...I've got the binding done on another quilt but have not finshed all the hand quilting, so I'm not counting it......yet. ;)

froggie3
02-28-2011, 11:34:14 AM

Posted these over in the LOYSC for March, but figured I should post them here too.

Definitely ahead of schedule on my 1 a month, but the list is still growing. :hysterical:

aimeebee
02-28-2011, 02:17:08 PM
Well, I started cleaning up my scrapbook desk. It was a big pile up of UFOs and leftover scraps from the finished projects. :rolleyes24: I did manage to finish a UFO, it was a knitted candy cane ornament from Christmas 09. The funny thing about it, all it needed was 2 rows, cast off and bury the ends.. (Two rows on a knitted candy cane ornament took me less time to knit it, than it took me to type it.) Well, I guess it is done know. I also found a big jumbled mess of yarn, two skeins tangled together. Now, that will take forever to fix. :hectic: