PDA

View Full Version : The First Annual "Get Off Your Butt and Walk Your Dog" Thread - Post your stats!

kval07
12-26-2010, 05:30:46 PM
I've mentioned it elsewhere on the board, and I think it every time I walk my dogs and see other dogs cooped up: Dogs need to be walked on a regular basis. Not only is it good for you, it is also good for your dog! Big or small, active or a bump on a log, all dogs need regular exercise. It helps combat boredom and in turn, it can help prevent bad behaviors (chewing, whining, pottying on the floor, etc). Work, kids and all that other stuff are not excuses to neglect walking your dog! My dogs get walked around the block late at night since that is the only time I can walk them due to my work schedule.

When I walk my dogs, it makes me sad to see big huge dogs chained outside in a little itty bitty yard. That is not exercise! It makes me sad to see all the dogs looking out the window who I've never seen outside at all. Dogs need to get out and explore the world, pee on new things, and sniff something every two feet.

When I lived in an apartment, they needed to go outside numerous times throughout the day to go to the bathroom. Guess who had to haul their butt out there in the rain, snow, sleet, ice, blizzard, humidity, triple digit and single digit weather, morning, noon, night and wee hours to walk them? That'd be me!

So that is what this thread is designed for: helping you stay motivated to walk your dogs!

I pledge five days a week minimum, though I already do 6-7 days a week. Sometimes I get a lazy day where I'm too tired. I will walk my dogs around the block every day, which normally takes about 20 minutes. When the weather is nicer, we will expand our horizons and walk a little further in to new territory.

So, are ya going to join? How many days a week will you pledge to, minimum? And where are you going to walk?

PS: It doesn't have to be you who does the walking either! It can be one of your kids, your hubby, or even the kid next door. The main thing is that your dog gets the exercise he/she needs!

VivaciousJewelz
12-26-2010, 05:36:42 PM
Awww, Krystle, what a great challenge! My roommate has a dog (a black lab) and she's not walked that often. How much of a walk should the average dog get at one time? I might start walking her dog if only for the exercise aspect of it (even though I hate cold!)

kval07
12-26-2010, 06:06:01 PM
I don't know of a set length or time. You could gauge it by when she starts to pant a lot or looks tired. If she isn't walked often, you will have to build up to greater lengths. How much does the dog weigh, how old is she and what kind of shape is she in? Maybe someone can give you an idea of how far they walk their dog.

One thing I do recommend, depending on where you live and where you will be walking your dog, is Musher's Secret (http://musherssecret.net/index.html). You can only find it at select stores. I use it in the winter for snow/ice/salt and in the summer for the hot pavement. It was developed for sledding dogs. I know when my dogs need more because when they go out in the snow, they'll lift their paws up because it is too cold. It is made of natural waxes that protect their little paws.

VivaciousJewelz
12-26-2010, 06:54:58 PM
Hmmm, she is 9 years old I think and weighs average? I dunno, she's not fat, but she's a lab, so they're big, maybe... 30 lbs? And I've lived here... 5 months and they've only walked her 10 times or so.

farmergirl
12-27-2010, 06:12:27 PM
Hi, I agree completely!!! My chihuahuas are not going for walks per se cuz chi's, snow, and 20F (before wind chill) is a bit much. My middle chi, 1 yr old Dizzy still races circles in the front yard (2 acres?) and if it's not tooooooo bad I'll let Obie (4 month old longhair chi) race with her for a couple minutes. Rotterman (Angelbaby 10yrs) does go for walks with me almost every day and Chi's do go when weather is alot better.

I should probably add that I live in the country on 26 acres and all my dogs are inside dogs who are allowed out whenever they want.......

brokenangel
12-27-2010, 07:03:47 PM
Hmmmm.... I'm going to join and say 3 days a week. I have a huge fenced yard and the dogs run around chasing each other. I can't walk them together until Abby is better leash trained. We do the dog park but in this cold it is usually empty.

My Abby girl, 7 yr old Newfie who weighs in at 166lbs, could stand to loose a few pounds. She does better off a leash than on, she knows who her people are so she doesn't run. She likes to pull me until she wears out. I've tried training her but she is stubborn and STRONG! I did buy a Gentle Leader for her that I am going to try. Any ideas for training her are welcome.

Zeus, my new baby. He is a 14 month old Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and he is about 110lbs. Zeus is a well mannered dog and very well leash trained. I haven't tested him off his leash, his previous owners said he wont run but she had total control over him. Trained him extremly well.

Doglover8180
12-27-2010, 07:11:15 PM
Great idea! I will definately join! I pledge to 4 days a week but will try to work up to more. But I want a reachable goal so I will start with 4. I have a retriever as well - I would say your lab, needs a good 30 minute walk (they can go for longer than little dogs and they really need the excercise). My uncle is a vet and he always says, when a dog goes on a walk - for them it is like reading the newspaper, their sniffing is their way of knowing what is going on in the neighborhood that day, what has happened, it's what keeps them in the loop and I have been worried that my dog is depressed lately... she has a backyard but really likes interacction with others (especially dogs) I also pledge to try and arrange a doggie date for her atleast once a week so that she can socialize with other dogs... I want to nip my dog's depression (if that is even what it is) in the bud! So that is my 2011 dog walking pledge :)

I plan to turn this into a happy dog:

kval07
12-27-2010, 07:22:23 PM
Hmmmm.... I'm going to join and say 3 days a week. I have a huge fenced yard and the dogs run around chasing each other. I can't walk them together until Abby is better leash trained. We do the dog park but in this cold it is usually empty.

My Abby girl, 7 yr old Newfie who weighs in at 166lbs, could stand to loose a few pounds. She does better off a leash than on, she knows who her people are so she doesn't run. She likes to pull me until she wears out. I've tried training her but she is stubborn and STRONG! I did buy a Gentle Leader for her that I am going to try. Any ideas for training her are welcome.

Zeus, my new baby. He is a 14 month old Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and he is about 110lbs. Zeus is a well mannered dog and very well leash trained. I haven't tested him off his leash, his previous owners said he wont run but she had total control over him. Trained him extremly well.

I have heard great things about the gentle leader, but I haven't had much luck with it. Chester, my yorkie, does fine on any old leash. But Roscoe, my other one, he's a little brat. He's a super hyper dog that chokes himself when he walks by pulling so hard and trying to out run the length of the leash. I'd have the gentle leader on him and he'd go running and whip himself around. It was completely useless on him. It is supposed to make dogs self-correct, but Roscoe is not the smartest dog by any means. I gave up and as long as he's attached to a leash, I don't really care what he does. :whistle67:

Doglover8180
12-27-2010, 08:24:07 PM
I feel guilty for skipping walking my dog today - especially after just joining this - tomorrow - tomorrow is my day - I will start!

kval07
12-28-2010, 05:56:56 AM
I feel guilty for skipping walking my dog today - especially after just joining this - tomorrow - tomorrow is my day - I will start!

That's okay. This starts January 1st, so let me update the OP! :smile:

jwahlton
12-28-2010, 08:47:51 AM
I'd like to join too! I've got a 2 year old Beagle and just found a beagle last week! I try to take Jerry every night for a walk. And just last night I was able to walk both dogs after making a double leash! That was successful so I pledge to walk both of them 5 times a week, plus take them to the dog park!

queenofthehivemomof5
12-28-2010, 09:08:44 AM
I will join this challenge.

My rat terrier does not like the cold and refuses to go out for a walk when there is snow or ice on the ground. However the little bugger is let outside all day long to do her business. And she gets dedicated play time for exercise playing fetch with her "Wooby" (a little stuffed raccoon). But my Sheltie and lab mix would love to get out more for walks. So I will dedicate a walk everyday the weather is above 32 degrees. Even if it is a small walk up and down the street. Once the weather is warmer I will extend their walks. My dogs do have a big ol fenced back yard that they play in and I would NEVER chain or tie them up unless we were camping.

Doglover8180
12-28-2010, 11:26:49 AM
My dog and I plan to go on a very long walk today.... since the weather is decent.

kval07
12-29-2010, 06:03:13 AM
:bump93:

roxygirlie1021
12-29-2010, 07:50:10 AM
Oh, this is such a good idea! We have a small backyard, and while my pups run around it like crazy, I know it's not enough exercise for them. We try to go to the dog park on the weekends, but it's been so cold lately that we haven't been going. I am going to pledge to walk my dogs 4-5 times a week (and since it's about that often per month right now...(I'm a horrible doggie mommy, I know!)...I hope I'm not being overly ambitious here!)

meems
12-29-2010, 08:31:53 AM
but but but...it's cooolllldddd!!!!!!

turtlegirl115
12-29-2010, 09:29:07 AM
My Fox Terrier Finley thanks you for this much needed reminder! We are terrible about walking him and although he has a big backyard to run around in, after 5 minutes he is barking to come back inside unless we are out there with him. Long work hours and having a toddler have been our "excuses" in the past but like you said, that's not really a good excuse. I'm going to start small b/c honestly I'm embarrassed to say how little he is walked now. So I'll start with a goal of 3x per week and hopefully increase that. This will be great for ME too as I need to move as well. :smile:

gatosqueak
12-29-2010, 10:11:03 AM
Three days a week for me.. do we report in every week or every month? Will help to be held accountable for the doggies.

Doglover8180
12-29-2010, 10:23:14 AM
Three days a week for me.. do we report in every week or every month? Will help to be held accountable for the doggies.

I was wondering this too.

kval07
12-30-2010, 06:05:01 AM
I'm so excited to see more people getting on board! I would say check in at least weekly. You can do it daily if you want. There's really no set rule. If you don't post, we're going to wonder why though. :wink7:

Meems, I take it you're going to suck it up and join?? I freeze my butt off every day!!

Let me tell you, once you make it a habit, they'll expect it. If we haven't left by 7pm each night, my dogs get really naggy. They'll paw at me, whine, growl, bark at me. As soon as I say "walk" they race to the door, Roscoe wagging his tail and Chester shaking his butt. They make you feel guilty if you don't do it. That's good motivation too. Nothing like you're own dog making you feel like a tool!!

kval07
12-30-2010, 06:22:02 AM
Okay, I decided I'll try to post each time I walk them. There is always something that happens...they try to chase the UPS truck, scare the crap out of some guy riding by on a bike and almost make him fall, I almost bust my butt on some ice...

brokenangel
12-30-2010, 05:04:08 PM
Tuesday I walked my dogs seperatly. Tried the Gentle Leader on Abby and she about went crazy, it didnt go well... Zeus done extremly well.

Wednesday I tried to walk the dogs together and that didnt go well AT ALL. Zeus was following Abbys' bad leash habits and they were both pulling me, thought they were going to pull my arms off.

Tonight I took them out seperatly and Abby done great on the Gentle leader... I was so proud of her.

Shelly527IN
12-30-2010, 07:42:37 PM
I will give this a try. My 12 y/o Chow, Ginger, will love it! I do not walk her often enough. When I do, she won't settle for a walk around the block. Unless we cross the street, she will barely walk. I have a large yard, but it's by a busy highway and not fenced in. Therefore she has a 20 ft. cable so she can be outside for a couple hours a day. She'd much rather walk though. I'll aim for 3 days per week.

~~Who,Me?~~
12-31-2010, 05:06:53 AM
Ok, I'm in. I have 3 Greater Swiss Mtn Dogs, but 2 are 11m old puppies. I have an old girl who is almost 12 and she's now too old for any significant walks. But the puppies are not exercised enough and drive me crazy in the house. I'm aiming for 4 days a week, the days that I don't work.

brokenangel
12-31-2010, 05:43:24 AM
Ok, I'm in. I have 3 Greater Swiss Mtn Dogs, but 2 are 11m old puppies. I have an old girl who is almost 12 and she's now too old for any significant walks. But the puppies are not exercised enough and drive me crazy in the house. I'm aiming for 4 days a week, the days that I don't work.

My Abby is a 7 yr old Newfoundland and my Zeus is a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, just adopted him almost 2 weeks ago. I would love any tips or information you can offer on the breed. I love him already, very good puppy, he is 14 months.

bugweena
12-31-2010, 06:30:19 AM
I will pledge to walk my dogs at least 5 days a week. I have been home from work this week and walked them each day and they get so excited. So I know they love to go it's just finding the time and the motivation to do it. I will walk them in the morning for at least 10 minutes during the work week and then try for at least a 20 minute walk at night. Longer walks on the weekend if possible.

kval07
01-02-2011, 09:02:00 AM
Started the year off good and walked the dogs. It was freezing, windy and snowing, but I did it! :winter1:

Doglover8180
01-02-2011, 09:38:49 AM
My dog & I went for an hour long walk yesterday. I don't think we have ever gone for that long of a walk in my life - 2 miles (I clocked it!).

kval07
01-02-2011, 09:41:04 AM
My dog & I went for an hour long walk yesterday. I don't think we have ever gone for that long of a walk in my life - 2 miles (I clocked it!).

Nice job!!!

~~Who,Me?~~
01-02-2011, 02:45:31 PM
My Abby is a 7 yr old Newfoundland and my Zeus is a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, just adopted him almost 2 weeks ago. I would love any tips or information you can offer on the breed. I love him already, very good puppy, he is 14 months.

No problem, be glad to help. We got our first one in '98 and I used to be on the board for the national club & stuff. I no longer do "breed stuff" as far as the club and doing dog shows and other competitions, but I know much about them. The main thing I would say, not knowing you or your dog, is that personality wise, the Swissy is much sharper than a Newf and not as laid back. So if you're looking for a big laid back, oomph of a dog, you may not have one. Mine are very guardy and bark at everything.

DH walked the dogs today, not me. So here we are on Jan 2 and I'm 0 for 2. Phooey.

brokenangel
01-02-2011, 04:36:01 PM
No problem, be glad to help. We got our first one in '98 and I used to be on the board for the national club & stuff. I no longer do "breed stuff" as far as the club and doing dog shows and other competitions, but I know much about them. The main thing I would say, not knowing you or your dog, is that personality wise, the Swissy is much sharper than a Newf and not as laid back. So if you're looking for a big laid back, oomph of a dog, you may not have one. Mine are very guardy and bark at everything.

DH walked the dogs today, not me. So here we are on Jan 2 and I'm 0 for 2. Phooey.

Well Zeus has definatly brought out the pup in Abby. They get to wrestling and playing tug of war with their rope toy. So cute... she usually wins but she does have atleast 60lbs on him. He is still trying to get used to the floors, he slides alot and his nails are short so that isn't the problem. poor thing but it is so funny.

I didnt get out and walk them. :sad3: They have been very hyper this evening... in and out of the house, chasing each other, playing. I'm the lazy one today.

kval07
01-02-2011, 07:38:49 PM
Walked the dogs tonight, so I'm 2 for 2. I timed it and it came right out to 20 minutes.

Excitement for tonight: Chester got a clinger.

kval07
01-03-2011, 05:23:05 AM
Thanks for joining, roxy! You will be the judge of what lengths/places are adequate for your dogs. My goal is to tire my dogs out. After our walk, they'll come home and settle down and then I can get on HCW and screw around.

Doglover8180
01-03-2011, 08:36:16 AM
In addition to walking my dog more, I am also trying to work out a "play date" for her so that she can interact with other dogs - she enjoys this as much, if not more than walks... cause she really doesn't get to play with any other dogs. Plus, on play date days, it will give me a break from walking her but also give her some highlight to her day. Her first one is today. :BigHand:

brokenangel
01-03-2011, 02:30:28 PM
Took the dogs for a walk today, walked the together and was alot easier than the first time I tried that. We only go around the block so its only about 10 minutes but I dont want to wear Abby out. She will get used to it then we can walk longer. Such good doggies.

bugweena
01-03-2011, 03:58:42 PM
Well, 3 for 3 so far! But back to work tomorrow so we will see how it goes....the dogs have been very happy!

kval07
01-03-2011, 06:27:41 PM
3 for 3 for me as well.

kval07
01-05-2011, 05:51:56 AM
Walked the dogs last night, so I'm 4 for 4.

Shelly527IN
01-05-2011, 10:14:09 PM
Took Ginger for a 20 min. walk tonight. The arthritis meds sure do work! She could have kept going....but I was COLD! Have to see how she is tomorrow. Hopefully, she won't be stiff.

Doglover8180
01-05-2011, 10:50:35 PM
The dog & I skipped our walk tonight and sat on the couch and watched TV, I feel bad about that.

:emb1:

kval07
01-06-2011, 04:36:33 AM
Walked the dogs last night, so I'm 5 for 5. Woke up this morning and its white out... They'll be in heaven, but I hate walking in snow.

jwahlton
01-07-2011, 09:02:27 AM
I've not been well this week. I've got fibromyalgia and sometimes it's difficult to even get off the couch! But yesterday i was feeling better so Jerry and I went for a walk.

kval07
01-07-2011, 10:29:18 AM
Walked the dogs yesterday in some fresh powdery snow. They loved it, and I'm 6 for 6 right now!

brokenangel
01-07-2011, 05:04:48 PM
The daughter and I walked the dogs wednesday. I walked Zeus tonight, Abby wanted to lay in the backyard with her bone.

kval07
01-07-2011, 06:31:02 PM
Just got back from another walk. It is freezing outside!

kval07
01-09-2011, 09:42:26 AM
Walked the dogs last night as well in 7 degree weather. Wasn't too thrilled about that and the dogs were hopping around on 3 legs because it was so cold. I'm 8 for 8.

kval07
01-10-2011, 07:17:00 PM
Another walk tonight. We busted out the sweaters for the boys.

bugweena
01-11-2011, 05:48:42 AM
I walked the boyz last night in the light freezing rain, so am 10 for 10. But not so sure about 11 for 11. Sidewalks this morning were a sheet of ice so no walk before work. Will try tonight. They are getting quite used to having a walk every night so I may have to at least attempt a walk. Thanks again, kval07, for this challenge! My dogs really appreciate it :)

brokenangel
01-11-2011, 03:24:38 PM
Didnt walk the dogs tonight but did go out back and ran around with them. The sidewalks are covered with snow and ice, they like to pull in the begining of the walks until they calm down.... I could see me falling on my butt.

bugweena
01-11-2011, 04:24:38 PM
WOOT WOOT 11 for 11! Sidewalks were dry tonight!

lovelace
01-11-2011, 05:07:42 PM
My dd dog hate the cold,rain,and the sun
The only time I can get her to walk if the weather is perfect,but if she is on the beach no matter what the weather is she will take a long walk.

kval07
01-11-2011, 08:36:39 PM
Didnt walk the dogs tonight but did go out back and ran around with them. The sidewalks are covered with snow and ice, they like to pull in the begining of the walks until they calm down.... I could see me falling on my butt.

Been there done that...I've had way too many close calls with busting my butt.

Another walk tonight, in about 2-3 inches of fresh snow. The dogs loved it. :smile:

kval07
01-12-2011, 06:44:13 PM
Another walk done tonight. I'm slightly irritated that a lot of people haven't complied with our city ordinance where sidewalks have to be shoveled within 24 hours of snowfall. All the same, my dogs had fun. I'm 12 for 12.

bugweena
01-16-2011, 04:17:25 PM
16 for 16. 55 degrees here today, yay!

My dogs are loving this! I tried to convince myself I can actually see ribs on my hound.... ;)

kval07
01-16-2011, 04:52:32 PM
I am getting ready to take the dogs for a walk as well. That will make me 16 for 16. The last two days were really tough and I didn't want to walk them. Last night it was bitter cold. The dogs did meet their very first snowman though. They didn't like him and barked and growled at it.

bugweena
01-16-2011, 05:53:25 PM
The dogs did meet their very first snowman though. They didn't like him and barked and growled at it.

:dog77::winter7:

That is funny!

kval07
01-16-2011, 06:00:56 PM
Well my little dog is limping right now so I am going to wait to get an okay from the vet and wait fro her leg to heal. Up until now she has walked rather it was in the petstore or outside.

Aww, I hope she gets better soon. What happened?

kval07
01-17-2011, 07:42:30 PM
I'm not sure what happened but she was better today she walked inside 2 petstores today after she went to the vet and got her shot and heartworm meds that rebate u posted can it be 2 6 month supplies?

It has to be a 12 month supply.

kval07
01-18-2011, 07:37:43 PM
I'm 18 for 18. Tonight's walk was rather unpleasant since it was a bit icy. We had some rain today. It melted a lot of the snow, and then cooled down quite a bit by the time I walked the dogs. Roscoe enjoyed plowing through 2-4 inches of cold, icy water in all the crappy areas of the sidewalk. :rolleyes24:

kval07
01-19-2011, 06:28:04 PM
19 for 19. I reeeallly didn't feel like going for a walk tonight, but I sucked it up because I didn't want to break my walking streak.

kval07
01-19-2011, 08:20:18 PM
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/paws-claws-deals-your-pets/384046-dog-tip-month-exercise.html#post2752480

bugweena
01-20-2011, 05:50:29 AM
19 for 19. I reeeallly didn't feel like going for a walk tonight, but I sucked it up because I didn't want to break my walking streak.

:hysterical:

I don't want to break my walking streak, either. And seriously, the dogs now EXPECT to be walked every night! I make a move toward the door and they go nuts and start dancing around.......

kval07
01-20-2011, 06:01:07 AM
:hysterical:

I don't want to break my walking streak, either. And seriously, the dogs now EXPECT to be walked every night! I make a move toward the door and they go nuts and start dancing around.......

I warned you all about that! :smile: Yesterday I was trying to convince a friend on Facebook who has three dogs that she needs to start walking them. I mentioned that the word "walk" is more exciting around here than "treat". :biggrin:

kbullsexy07
01-21-2011, 02:11:38 PM
I am with you a 100% on this... When I lived in an apartment on the 3rd floor I would go up and down those stairs countless times each day to take my dog out.

I use to always hear my neighbors dog barking and it killed me. I never saw her take the dog more than 5 feet from the building!

I pledge to walk my baby 7 days a week in the new year!

kval07
01-21-2011, 05:19:22 PM
I am with you a 100% on this... When I lived in an apartment on the 3rd floor I would go up and down those stairs countless times each day to take my dog out.

I use to always hear my neighbors dog barking and it killed me. I never saw her take the dog more than 5 feet from the building!

I pledge to walk my baby 7 days a week in the new year!

Awesome!! Thanks for joining!

Doglover8180
01-22-2011, 11:53:18 AM
Went for a half hour walk this afternoon - weather was perfect and my dog got to meet two other dogs on her walk - which she loved!:wavehi::smile:

kval07
01-22-2011, 09:19:40 PM
I'm 22 for 22. I really didn't want to walk the dogs tonight. It is in the single digits and my ears were frozen by the time we got home. At least the dogs are conked out now so I can screw around on HCW.

bugweena
01-23-2011, 05:29:44 AM
22 for 22!

kval07
01-27-2011, 07:32:34 PM
I've walked my dogs 27 days straight! How is everyone else doing? Have you noticed changes in your dogs?? Are they expecting walks?

bugweena
01-28-2011, 05:33:51 AM
I've walked my dogs 27 days straight! How is everyone else doing? Have you noticed changes in your dogs?? Are they expecting walks?

YES! We usually eat dinner and watch whatever was DVRed from previous nights and then when I stand up the dogs go nuts! They seem to know it's time. They definitely expect a walk every night! I have found that I look forward to it, too, because it's good for all of us to get a little exercise.

:biggrin:

bugweena
02-03-2011, 06:15:06 PM
34 for 34

kval07
02-04-2011, 05:53:52 AM
I am 31 out of 34 right now. I was going to walk the dogs Tuesday night before the big storm came, but I go knocked out with a sore throat and a headache, so I went to bed early. Wednesday I was in bed all day, so no walk then. And then yesterday I worked (while still feeling like crap) and then had to shovel all the snow out of my driveway. By the time I was done with that, I felt like I ran a marathon. Note to self: shoveling while sick = no-no

I'm going to try to walk them tonight...

kval07
02-05-2011, 06:14:57 AM
Did walk my dogs last night, so I'm 32 out of 35.

kbullsexy07
02-08-2011, 12:09:24 AM
Walked my baby tonight.. I think I have gone every night except maybe 3

bugweena
02-14-2011, 06:26:03 AM
I was out of town over the weekend, but DSO walked the boyz each day, so they've only missed one day so far this year (it was pouring rain the entire day!). Forecast says sunny skies this week so we should be in good shape for our daily walks! 44/45

kval07
02-16-2011, 08:51:25 PM
Okay, tonight will be the fourth night I've missed. The other three were due to being sick combined with snowstorms. Tonight I went over to the house I'm moving to next week to hang out with the new roomie. My dogs got to meet two new people, so they were in heaven. Then when I took them outside, they got in to something that smelled hideous, so we had to leave so they could get baths. I can't really walk them if they are wet, so we are skipping the walk tonight. I feel okay about it though because they got lots of attention and play time tonight. They're both conked out in bed and I'm following shortly!

kval07
03-16-2011, 04:39:50 PM
Okay, I have no idea where I'm at in this. I've been out of the loop for a while now... I moved a few weeks ago but tried hard to stick to walking my dogs. Went to FL for about a week and didn't walk the dogs. BUT, they were totally worn out from playing with three other dogs. Every night on the way back to the hotel, they were totally zonked out, and it was only a ten minute drive. I felt okay about that since the purpose of walks is to get them exercise and wear them out.

Moving to my new place, I lose about an hour of time each night...I work 8am-630pm, get home at seven, bed by 11. I've been trying really hard to stick to walking my dogs. To keep me motivated, I downloaded a free app from the Android Market called Jogtracker. I use it to track my dog walks. It's fun to see how far and how long I've walked my dogs. I share each walk on my FB so I sort of feel accountable to someone besides my dogs. :biggrin:

You should be able to see my profile here: JogTracker - Run, walk, bike tracker for Android phones (http://www.jogtracker.com/Summary.aspx?UserName=kval07)

If you can't, let me know. Since I downloaded this app, I've logged 10 miles. I should have another mile on there, but my phone died mid-walk a few days ago. :sad3:

What are you doing to keep yourself motivated and on track?

bugweena
03-17-2011, 04:33:20 AM
My dogs are keeping me motivated, lol. Most nights they jump up when I head toward the door and think they are going for a walk--it's hard to resist their anticipation and excitement at the slightest hint of a potential walk! I was out of town last week but my mom walked them most days so I think I am around 70 for 76! I think I am starting to see the outline of ribs on my hound doggie! Too bad I can't see mine..........!

ecsdavis
05-31-2011, 04:44:36 AM
I'd love to join, but seriously? It seems to be like 100 degrees outside until midnight! :/
I have 4 dogs and none of them liked to be walked on a leash! LOL
They all do the 'pulling so hard til they are choking' thing. lol
Well, 3 of them. 1 of them is a puppy and I haven't taken on a walk w/ a leash yet. She is at the stage where you can let her out in the yard and she'll actually just stay in the yard and run around and play. lol My other dogs? They mind when they are in the house, but as soon as the door opens and they are outside all manners and training go out the window! lol

I hate having to keep them on a leash (2 of them) but I don't have a fenced in yard :( and I hate letting them run because we live right on a main road (not like a normal neighborhood block) and people just zoom down this road at 50 miles an hour not paying a mind to whats going on around them. Plus this road is like curve after curve and its all at a slant..so it not fun to walk cuz my feet are always like leaning.. (if that makes sense)-- Another reason I don't like walking on this road! It's scary sometimes! :/ But I deal with it every once in a while, both letting them run and talking them for walks. I would be more than happy to take them for walks if like I could get to a walk trail or something. But I don't have a car so i can't really go anywhere.

They all hate water! LOL So, if I even did ever get a pool or something they aint gonna get in! LOL

I know it's a little late in the year to be joining a year challenge lol buttt I think I will join in a couple months when it gets just a tad cooler here! If the dogs are panting and wanting to be inside w/out even going for a walk I'm sure the walk isn't going to be good for them in 100 degree weather. :/

So, *spot reserved* LOL

kval07
05-31-2011, 04:49:15 AM
Walked the dogs last night around 9ish in 85 degree weather. It sucked but it needed to be done.

I haven't done a status update in a long time...I use jogtracker from the Android Market to track my walks. Since I started tracking on March 4th, I've logged:
18:12:47 time
39.64 miles

CooperWeeks
11-11-2011, 02:56:39 PM
Hello,

I am new here, and this sounds like a great topic. I walk my dog at least 2 miles every day, and she also gets walked by my spouse and kids every day. We also try to take our dog to the dog park. We find that her behavior improves immensely when she has a lot of exercise.

Our only problem is that we can not really let her off leash. She is a true hound and chases every rabbit and squirrel that she sees or smells.