PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Supah Dupah SAVINGS Extravaganza!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

VivaciousJewelz
12-22-2010, 08:43:02 AM
AKA 2011 Savings Challenge!

Do you like my thread name? I am hoping a fancy thread name will encourage people to join and encourage me to actually SAVE this year...:giggle2:

2010 was... in short... a DISASTER for me. I saved NO money at all. :sad3:

But I'm claiming 2011 as a whole new year and I WILL SAVE!

My goal is to save $6,000 by June and then afterwards continue to save at least $200-$300/month thru the end of the year, without dipping too heavily into my savings. By the end of 2011, I'm hoping for a solid $7,000 in savings!

We'll see how it goes!

Who's in with me?

Goals:
VivaciousJewelz = $0/$7,000
MoneySavinDiva = $5990.91/$7,000
Kimandkathess = $2,000/$5,000
Cody82414 = More than $4.26
Jenrose = Transfer to savings every payday
XUfan = $21.56/$500
Everprincess = $3,000/$5,000
Actvmom = $18,000/$38,000
SouthernBelle5 = 49% savings
Ioncewasamjskeptic = $27.09/$1,500
Puakinikini = $1250/$3,000
Farmergirl = $0/$5,000
Mom2Lucas = $0/$2,750 ($1,750 car and $1,000 EF)
Qponmama = $0/$5,500 ($4,500 car and $1,000 EF)
Cjpsmom = $1911/$1,700
Brokenangel = $0/$5,000
Rdot = $539.39/$1,200
Res030ei = $554.85/$6,000
Bugweena = $0/$2,000
Amylynne01 = $6421.44/$6,000
Gatosqueak = $400/$1,500
Dliver316 = $1249/$5000
Wv_sbtl = $0/$4,000
Justmama = $1,020/$10,000
Cybilx10 = $0/$600 plus pay down credit card debt
Rebate_Queen = $1,815.05
Momof2inohio= $130/$2,000
Zwella_Ingrid = $300/$1,000
To1drland = $1100
hillaryef = $989.10/$6,500
Lasab= $0/$5,000
Couponlover26= $0/$10,000
Spongebear= 70% savings, 100% vacation fund
Mbromberg545= $0/$1,000
Nagrom13- $0/$500
Lunapotter- $0/$2,000

MoneySavinDiva
12-26-2010, 05:58:27 AM
I'll join :smile: I'm not sure what I want as a goal yet...our goal is to have hubs' motorcycle paid off by May 2012, so most of our money is going there. But we do want to get $1000 EF in our savings...

Okay, never mind I do have a goal :giggle2:, $500 (as we already have $500 in there). This will be built up throughout the year while we are also paying off the bike.

VivaciousJewelz
12-26-2010, 08:56:13 AM
I'll join :smile: I'm not sure what I want as a goal yet...our goal is to have hubs' motorcycle paid off by May 2012, so most of our money is going there. But we do want to get $1000 EF in our savings...

Okay, never mind I do have a goal :giggle2:, $500 (as we already have $500 in there). This will be built up throughout the year while we are also paying off the bike.

Yay! That's awesome! Thanks for joining! And hey, saving up to pay down your motorcycle also counts, so feel free to add that in here, too!

MoneySavinDiva
12-26-2010, 09:18:57 AM
Yay! That's awesome! Thanks for joining! And hey, saving up to pay down your motorcycle also counts, so feel free to add that in here, too!

I was wondering if it counted!! Perfect! Then raise my goal to $7,000!

:nervous7:

VivaciousJewelz
12-26-2010, 09:43:36 AM
I was wondering if it counted!! Perfect! Then raise my goal to $5,000!

:nervous7:

Of course, you can save for anything- an EF, pay down debt, a trip, maternity leave, to make a big purchase, just because... We'll have fun encouraging each other, goodness KNOWS I'm always tempted to spend when I could save.

kimandkathess
12-26-2010, 06:42:04 PM
I will join ya julie! We had $5,000 in our savings this past year but due to a snowball effect of bad time/luck we are down to nothing. I am so broke that I actually only have $30 to live on for the entire week :( it has been a long time since I have been this broke. I basically make enough to pay all my bills.
The good thing is that in about 4 months my taxes will be here so that will help my savings out a little bit.

My goal is to have $5,000 by the end of the year in our e.f.

VivaciousJewelz
12-26-2010, 06:56:12 PM
Awesome! Glad to have you, Katrina!

cody82414
12-26-2010, 07:19:32 PM
At the end of 2011 I hope to have more than $4.26 in our savings account
along with no additional debt to what we currently have.

VivaciousJewelz
12-26-2010, 07:25:35 PM

Do you have a goal for saving? Like $100, $1000, etc? It's cool if you don't, I'm just curious. :smile:

MoneySavinDiva
12-27-2010, 12:54:42 PM
I have $40 to add already...got a $2 MIR and $38 refund from our cell phone company. :biggrin:

cody82414
12-27-2010, 12:59:58 PM
I will join ya julie! We had $5,000 in our savings this past year but due to a snowball effect of bad time/luck we are down to nothing. I am so broke that I actually only have $30 to live on for the entire week :( it has been a long time since I have been this broke. I basically make enough to pay all my bills.
The good thing is that in about 4 months my taxes will be here so that will help my savings out a little bit.

I could've wrote this post almost identically.:sad3:

cody82414
12-27-2010, 01:06:00 PM

Do you have a goal for saving? Like $100, $1000, etc? It's cool if you don't, I'm just curious. :smile:

Well...
I had a minute to pass my simple goal by my Darling Husband.
Of course he calls me Debbie Downer
and that I am relentless
and to give it a rest...

Then he tells me how his help has broken the hydraulics hose on the tractor for the shovel
moving the bail of hay for the horses...

And I can just imagine how much that's going to cost us:rolleyes24:

jenrose
12-27-2010, 01:07:41 PM
I'm here again. But I don't like saying how much $ I have online. So my goal in this thread will be to transfer at least something to savings on each payday. I am working on building up our EF. DH is working on payind off our debt (all 0% financing except the house). When I get paid I have been transfering whatever is left in my checking account over to savings. So that is my goal. To have money left over when I get paid to transfer some over to savings.

December was a horrible month for me in that aspect so I actually had to transfer $100 out of savings to cover my butt. But I got a small bonus check that I will be depositing into savings which will make up for that. I only work part time so it's not a lot each paycheck (biweekly) but every little bit helps.

XUfan
12-27-2010, 01:07:55 PM

Me too...except that we only had about $3000 in April (after my husband wore himself out trying to work 2 jobs, and drive 3 hours a day to get to and from them!). It went FAST after several things happened within a short period of time. Then, with prices going up (utilities, gasoline, etc), we haven't been able to catch back up.

I think we have $152 in our emergency fund right now. I want to build it back up, using rebates and putting in little bits from my paycheck (which is tiny anyway!). My goal is to have $500 in the account by June 1st, and $1000 by Dec 31. It's a small goal...but I think I can do it, without even noticing!

So...count me in!!!

If I make it through all of the challenges I've signed up for, I'll be a whole new person by the end of the year!

VivaciousJewelz
12-27-2010, 01:08:29 PM
I have $40 to add already...got a $2 MIR and $38 refund from our cell phone company. :biggrin:

Show-off!!! :hysterical: Good job!

cody82414
12-27-2010, 01:10:14 PM
So...count me in!!!

If I make it through all of the challenges I've signed up for, I'll be a whole new person by the end of the year!

:giggle2:

jenrose
12-27-2010, 01:11:32 PM

Me too. Now lets see if I can keep up with all of them. :giggle2:

XUfan
12-27-2010, 01:13:08 PM
BTW Julie...I do love the name of this one! My granddaughter (7...going on 30!) uses that term alot. But she pronounces it differently! She says, "Supah Dupah!!" As in...It's Supah Dupah cold out today!" LOL!

XUfan
12-27-2010, 01:16:23 PM
Me too. Now lets see if I can keep up with all of them. :giggle2:

Hey! Maybe alot of challenges is a good thing! My mom always said, "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

But..if I'm living off the stockpile, I have to put them somewhere!!!

And...if I'm decluttering, shouldn't they all be in one place?

And...if I'm going to lose weight, I probably shouldn't eat too many eggs in the first place.

But...eggs are kind of cheap, so they might help me save that $1000!

OMG...I'm so confused!!!

VivaciousJewelz
12-27-2010, 01:16:40 PM
Holy Moly! I post and suddenly there are a bunch more responses. I love it! :biggrin:

Me too, Cody, I had such high hopes for last year but it all went to he!! in a hand basket... I'm glad we all have each other.

Well...
and that I am relentless
and to give it a rest...

Then he tells me how his help has broken the hydraulics hose on the tractor for the shovel

That's totally fine. No goal is needed, this thread is mainly to just encourage each other and keep each other motivated and celebrate our successes. :smile:

I'm here again. But I don't like saying how much $ I have online. So my goal in this thread will be to transfer at least something to savings on each payday. I am working on building up our EF. DH is working on payind off our debt (all 0% financing except the house). When I get paid I have been transfering whatever is left in my checking account over to savings. So that is my goal. To have money left over when I get paid to transfer some over to savings.

December was a horrible month for me in that aspect so I actually had to transfer $100 out of savings to cover my butt. But I got a small bonus check that I will be depositing into savings which will make up for that. I only work part time so it's not a lot each paycheck (biweekly) but every little bit helps.

Glad to see you back! :wavehi:

Me too...except that we only had about $3000 in April (after my husband wore himself out trying to work 2 jobs, and drive 3 hours a day to get to and from them!). It went FAST after several things happened within a short period of time. Then, with prices going up (utilities, gasoline, etc), we haven't been able to catch back up.

I think we have $152 in our emergency fund right now. I want to build it back up, using rebates and putting in little bits from my paycheck (which is tiny anyway!). My goal is to have $500 in the account by June 1st, and $1000 by Dec 31. It's a small goal...but I think I can do it, without even noticing!

So...count me in!!!

Me too, Carol!

I wanted to share with you guys... I've found that this is going to be a REALLY hard challenge for me. I moved in with my best friend and her family in August of this past year, and I SHOULD have used the opportunity to start saving before now, but I did not. I DID pay down a little debt, and I kept up on ALL my bills, but instead of saving, I bought a lot of stuff for myself, a lot of stuff for Cara, and spent a lot of money on Christmas presents this year since last year I was so poor I couldn't do more than stockpile baggies and who knows where I will be next Christmas.

The problem is that I live with people who enjoy spending money, and I have a compulsive urge to spend as well (growing up poor, now that I have my own money I'm like "WEEEEEE! Let's go shopping!!") so it was actually easier for me to lose 20lbs last year than save money, just because I'm always around people who want to go shopping, go eat, go out, buy things, and I am guilty of having that entitlement attitude of how I work hard and have had a hard life so I deserve to spend money... So, this year is going to really be hard for me, but I love seeing all the people that are here joining me in this challenge!

Oh, and might I add that those of us who are saving- Cody runs "Live Off Your Stockpile" challenges every month (she's brilliant with keeping track of spending, etc) that a lot of people participate in (including myself) over in the "Stockpiling" forum, so if you haven't joined before, you may wanna check it out as well!

:smile:

VivaciousJewelz
12-27-2010, 01:18:07 PM
BTW Julie...I do love the name of this one! My granddaughter (7...going on 30!) uses that term alot. But she pronounces it differently! She says, "Supah Dupah!!" As in...It's Supah Dupah cold out today!" LOL!

Check out the title now! :wink7:

Hey! Maybe alot of challenges is a good thing! My mom always said, "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

And...if I'm going to lose weight, I probably shouldn't eat too many eggs in the first place.

OMG...I'm so confused!!!

Me too!!!! Maybe if I keep myself busy doing all these challenges, I won't have time to slack off on any of them! :whistle67:

MoneySavinDiva
12-27-2010, 01:20:15 PM
Show-off!!! :hysterical: Good job!

:giggle2: Sorry! I'll try not to be an over achiever, I swear :wink7:

Well...
and that I am relentless
and to give it a rest...

You can do it cody! You aren't a downer. Or relentless. You're smart! Build your savings! Pay your debt! We're all behind you 100%!

jenrose
12-27-2010, 01:21:35 PM

OMG...I'm so confused!!!

:hysterical9:

MoneySavinDiva
12-27-2010, 01:23:28 PM

OMG...I'm so confused!!!

:hysterical:

cody82414
12-27-2010, 01:26:27 PM
Oh, and might I add that those of us who are saving- Cody runs "Live Off Your Stockpile" challenges every month (she's brilliant with keeping track of spending, etc) that a lot of people participate in (including myself) over in the "Stockpiling" forum, so if you haven't joined before, you may wanna check it out as well!

:smile:

Thanks for the plug!
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/stockpiling-guide-discussions/378204-january-2011-living-off-your-stockpile-challenge-sign-up-today-d.html

cody82414
12-27-2010, 01:27:35 PM
You can do it cody! You aren't a downer. Or relentless. You're smart! Build your savings! Pay your debt! We're all behind you 100%!

You rhymed :giggle2:
I love it!

VivaciousJewelz
12-27-2010, 01:28:42 PM
Thanks for the plug!
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/stockpiling-guide-discussions/378204-january-2011-living-off-your-stockpile-challenge-sign-up-today-d.html

Of course! :biggrin:

I love it!

:hysterical: I had to re-read a few times but I got it. We have ourselves a poet here!

everprincess
12-27-2010, 01:28:50 PM
I'm in for $5,000 in EF for the year. Then $6,000+ for the house we are going to start looking for at the end of this year. Like everyone else we had a EF built up and tons of things popped up that we had no control over. Still have some money put back but it's not enough for me. Like I stated in the stockpile thread-I worry about money excessively.

actvmom
12-27-2010, 01:39:33 PM
Since I am spender, I really need to work on saving as well. I don't worry about money too much because DH handles all the bills and covers my butt all the time.

I own my own tax business and by this time every year, I usually have the first 2 weeks of January booked up and am working on week 3. Well, as of right now, I have 4 appointments for the first day and nothing else. I have gotten several phone calls with questions and it seems like most of my clients have been unemployed for most if not all of the year.

So, with that being said, I better get my brain geared to saving and scrimping as much as I can. It is my responsibility to pay the house payment every month, then I just bought a car, and I want to pay that off this year, so my goal is..... $38k. Anything over that will be AWESOME!!!! But, I am not anticipating it.... To be honest, I am not even anticipating making my goal, but I wanted to go big so I have something to reach for.

VivaciousJewelz
12-27-2010, 01:42:47 PM
I'm in for $5,000 in EF for the year. Then $6,000+ for the house we are going to start looking for at the end of this year. Like everyone else we had a EF built up and tons of things popped up that we had no control over. Still have some money put back but it's not enough for me. Like I stated in the stockpile thread-I worry about money excessively.

Since I am spender, I really need to work on saving as well. I don't worry about money too much because DH handles all the bills and covers my butt all the time.

I own my own tax business and by this time every year, I usually have the first 2 weeks of January booked up and am working on week 3. Well, as of right now, I have 4 appointments for the first day and nothing else. I have gotten several phone calls with questions and it seems like most of my clients have been unemployed for most if not all of the year.

So, with that being said, I better get my brain geared to saving and scrimping as much as I can. It is my responsibility to pay the house payment every month, then I just bought a car, and I want to pay that off this year, so my goal is..... $38k. Anything over that will be AWESOME!!!! But, I am not anticipating it.... To be honest, I am not even anticipating making my goal, but I wanted to go big so I have something to reach for.

Glad to have you both!

You know, it's funny b/c I'm a spender, and then I spend too much money, and then I worry over the amount of money I have left and how to make it stretch until payday... so I'm like a combo of you two.

actvmom
12-27-2010, 01:45:03 PM
I love it!

You're rubbing off on her!:giggle2: Or maybe she's reading Dr Seus to her LO:wink7:

MoneySavinDiva
12-27-2010, 02:13:06 PM
I love it!

I learned from the best :wink7:

SouthernBelle5
12-27-2010, 03:38:54 PM
.. To be honest, I am not even anticipating making my goal, but I wanted to go big so I have something to reach for.

Agreed. My goal is 20K. Julie, are you going to post everyone in the OP with their goal?

ioncewasamjskeptic
12-27-2010, 04:07:58 PM
OK, I'm in...if for nothing else, having some support and seeing others feelings of accomplishments should take our minds off of "is my 57yr old SO, being a manual machinist for over 30 yrs, his boss/owner had to shut down this past summer completely, not to mention that for about yr before, 1 day a week was average for work, even going to be able to obtain a job?!? My goal is going to be $1500 by June, in which may very much be a fund for relocating.... GL ALL!

kimandkathess
12-27-2010, 05:09:24 PM
Wow, you ladies sure can talk! Xufan....its good to have a lot of goals. I think I will join the declutter challenge. I know I can do that one.

In the spring we plan on turning our enclosed backporch into our daycare room so my three kids can each have their own room. So we are going to declutter A LOT and have a yard sale so we have money to finish the room and fix up their rooms. we should be able to do it all for under 2,000. It is something that HAS TO BE DONE. i would love to put that into savings but my little buggers all really need their own room.

I think I will also head on over and check out the "stockpile challenge"

puakinikini
12-27-2010, 05:20:35 PM
Hey! I need to join this as well. We are working on reducing debt, but want to have our EF at $3,000. I have a feeling this is going to pose an initial challenge because our washer is going out. :( boo...hoo... I hope to have debt gone by August, and then will really be able to focus on savings.

XUfan
12-27-2010, 05:25:21 PM
I think it's kind of cool that we all have different amounts that we're shooting for...and different reasons why. I set mine really low...hoping to surpass it!

farmergirl
12-27-2010, 05:45:39 PM
Hi, I would love to join this challenge! We don't have an emergency fund at all and I would really like the peace of mind I think one would bring. $5000 in a year should be doable. We really need to pay down back debt- DH's medical expenses from yrs ago, I would like to up the payments and get this completely caught up. I would also like to dramatically reduce my student loan bills and finish paying off DH's student loan bills.

VivaciousJewelz
12-27-2010, 05:53:57 PM
Agreed. My goal is 20K. Julie, are you going to post everyone in the OP with their goal?

Absolutely! I just hadn't gotten to it yet, but I will by Friday. :smile:

OK, I'm in...if for nothing else, having some support and seeing others feelings of accomplishments should take our minds off of "is my 57yr old SO, being a manual machinist for over 30 yrs, his boss/owner had to shut down this past summer completely, not to mention that for about yr before, 1 day a week was average for work, even going to be able to obtain a job?!? My goal is going to be $1500 by June, in which may very much be a fund for relocating.... GL ALL!

It's nice to have you and good luck!

Wow, you ladies sure can talk! Xufan....its good to have a lot of goals. I think I will join the declutter challenge. I know I can do that one.

In the spring we plan on turning our enclosed backporch into our daycare room so my three kids can each have their own room. So we are going to declutter A LOT and have a yard sale so we have money to finish the room and fix up their rooms. we should be able to do it all for under 2,000. It is something that HAS TO BE DONE. i would love to put that into savings but my little buggers all really need their own room.

I think I will also head on over and check out the "stockpile challenge"

You should! I've done the stockpile challenge for many months and will start again in January. We chit-chat a lot in those threads as well.

Hey! I need to join this as well. We are working on reducing debt, but want to have our EF at $3,000. I have a feeling this is going to pose an initial challenge because our washer is going out. :( boo...hoo... I hope to have debt gone by August, and then will really be able to focus on savings.

Saving to pay down debt is a great goal! You can even include that in this challenge!

I think it's kind of cool that we all have different amounts that we're shooting for...and different reasons why. I set mine really low...hoping to surpass it!

Me too, and we can remind each other what we're striving for!

mom2lucas
12-27-2010, 06:52:29 PM
I want to joint. We'd like to do a few things this year:

1. Pay off car - doable in about 6 months, I think
2. Save for EF - $1,000

cody82414
12-27-2010, 06:59:50 PM
just so I am understanding correctyl, EF stand for 'emergency fund' ?

jenrose
12-27-2010, 07:02:33 PM
just so I am understanding correctyl, EF stand for 'emergency fund' ?

Yep, and if you follow Dave Ramsey that EF should be completely seperate from your other savings accounts.

VivaciousJewelz
12-27-2010, 07:23:14 PM
I want to joint. We'd like to do a few things this year:

1. Pay off car - doable in about 6 months, I think
2. Save for EF - $1,000

Awesome! How much do you need to pay off your car?

qponmomma
12-27-2010, 08:17:13 PM
I'd like to join...hoping to pay off my car next year 4500 left on that and want to start an EF of 1000 hopefully, also have various credit cards I want to get paid off but have no idea how much it is have wayyy to many of those and after christmas I lost track lol So will start with the car and EF for now!

VivaciousJewelz
12-28-2010, 07:10:07 AM
Updated OP to here with everyone's goals!

cjpsmom
12-28-2010, 12:35:42 PM
:wavehi:Count me in again please....I ended 2010 with what I'm calling $1700 in savings...this year I will shoot for that again...so $1700 is goal.

Cleaned out my sweater area this weekend and found a stash (back from SAHM days), into the pot it goes to start the new challenge....$45/$1700....this was with a rec also from...2007:hysterical:...I was a mad stashing fool when I quit work.:giggle2:...or this could be a sign that I never need to buy a sweater again...they never get worn.:wink7:

VivaciousJewelz
12-28-2010, 12:45:51 PM
:wavehi:Count me in again please....I ended 2010 with what I'm calling $1700 in savings...this year I will shoot for that again...so $1700 is goal.

Cleaned out my sweater area this weekend and found a stash (back from SAHM days), into the pot it goes to start the new challenge....$45/$1700....this was with a rec also from...2007:hysterical:...I was a mad stashing fool when I quit work.:giggle2:...or this could be a sign that I never need to buy a sweater again...they never get worn.:wink7:

Yay! Welcome back! I'll update the OP. :BigHand:

brokenangel
12-28-2010, 05:05:46 PM
I'm in. I hope to atleast pay off $5000 in bills. If I can start a EF that would be awsome.

rdot
12-28-2010, 05:43:37 PM
I'm in!

My goal is to save 1200 by the end of the year.

MoneySavinDiva
12-28-2010, 07:39:51 PM

You guys can't call me the over achiever anymore! cj has more than me! :hysterical:

jenrose
12-28-2010, 08:08:37 PM
You guys can't call me the over achiever anymore! cj has more than me! :hysterical:

CJ's just a show off. :wink7:

cody82414
12-28-2010, 08:13:20 PM

I second this :poke:

rdot
12-28-2010, 08:57:21 PM

Cody, your siggy is hilarious!!!

MoneySavinDiva
12-28-2010, 09:06:33 PM
Cody, your siggy is hilarious!!!

:giggle2: I was just going to say the same thing! I was gonna rep you for it cody, but I gotta spread the love :smile:

VivaciousJewelz
12-28-2010, 09:29:17 PM
Darn, Cody, I was just about to start a thread about that b/c I didn't think anyone saw it... :hysterical:

res030ei
12-28-2010, 10:37:11 PM
Im going to set a high goal that more than likely wont be attainable since i am a sahm and we are living off of dh income. not to mention all of the construction going on with adding on to our house. anyways im setting my goal at $6000. i currently have $127. It will be interesting to see how much i can stash away!

MoneySavinDiva
12-29-2010, 01:21:58 AM
Im going to set a high goal that more than likely wont be attainable since i am a sahm and we are living off of dh income. not to mention all of the construction going on with adding on to our house. anyways im setting my goal at $6000. i currently have $127. It will be interesting to see how much i can stash away!

You can do it! I am also a sahm and I know my goal is going to be near impossible, but if you don't aim high you've got nothing to shoot for! :smile:

bugweena
12-29-2010, 04:39:45 AM
Hi Julie,

I'm in for saving $2000 in 2011.

amylynne01
12-29-2010, 05:16:21 AM
I think I'm in again. In 2010 I saved for a trip to Disney. This year, I think I'm saving to pay off debt starting with cc, followed by car. I know I did this backwards and went on vacation before paying off stuff, but c'est la vie. We also had to just replace our kitchen floor because we had water leaking that potentially could have ruined the subfloor. Instead of blowing through our whole EF, we financed it. So here's what I'm hoping for.

1. Save $2000 from rebates, surveys, change, bottles, etc., pretty much anything not from our paychecks
2. Save $4000 from our paychecks to pay off debt

For a grand total of $6000 in a year! I work better in smaller increments, so that's $500 a month. Our tax refund is being split towards debt and EF, but I don't know if I'll count it here. I also won't really be playing until we get back from Disney, but wanted to save my place now.

cjpsmom
12-29-2010, 05:54:46 AM

Jealous....that's all...just pure jealous...:razz45:

Oh, and I didn't see them attack you.:wink7:

BTW-nice to see ya again.:smile:

VivaciousJewelz
12-29-2010, 06:38:07 AM

You can do it! You already have the most! :giggle2:

Hi Julie,

I'm in for saving $2000 in 2011.

Awesome to see ya! :biggrin:

I think I'm in again. In 2010 I saved for a trip to Disney. This year, I think I'm saving to pay off debt starting with cc, followed by car. I know I did this backwards and went on vacation before paying off stuff, but c'est la vie. We also had to just replace our kitchen floor because we had water leaking that potentially could have ruined the subfloor. Instead of blowing through our whole EF, we financed it. So here's what I'm hoping for.

1. Save $2000 from rebates, surveys, change, bottles, etc., pretty much anything not from our paychecks
2. Save $4000 from our paychecks to pay off debt

For a grand total of $6000 in a year! I work better in smaller increments, so that's $500 a month. Our tax refund is being split towards debt and EF, but I don't know if I'll count it here. I also won't really be playing until we get back from Disney, but wanted to save my place now.

:BigHand: I'm so proud of you for last year. Lol, I dunno why I'm proud, since I had nothing to do with it, but you were definitely an inspiration.

Oh, and I didn't see them attack you.:wink7:

mom2lucas
12-29-2010, 07:13:26 AM
Awesome! How much do you need to pay off your car?

$1750, I believe. We have relatively low payments, but I want to get that sucker paid off ASAP by paying extra. I think it's doable.

SouthernBelle5
12-29-2010, 07:19:14 AM

:fight35::fight37::pursefight45: You're ATTACKED! I can't BELIEVE u have $127!

Feel better CJ? :hug19:

res030ei
12-29-2010, 08:54:00 AM
:fight35::fight37::pursefight45: You're ATTACKED! I can't BELIEVE u have $127!

yeah i cant believe it either :giggle2: im going to try very hard to reach my goal. im going to do lots of yard sales and take every extra penny we can get and put it up. im having surgery on jan 4th so i am wanting to pay that off by the end of the year!

just wanted to add that i have $50 (and counting) in our christmas club account but im not counting our christmas savings in this challenge....so there :dance43::razz45: :hysterical:

cjpsmom
12-29-2010, 10:03:40 AM
:wink07:Thanks.

MoneySavinDiva
12-29-2010, 11:22:40 AM
I have more to add...don't attack me :scared2::giggle2:

Went to the consignment store for a few new outfits for lo this morning, and had $61 in checks for things of mine that had sold.

gatosqueak
12-30-2010, 09:46:10 AM
$1500 for kids adoptions (lawyer fees)

Gatosqueak Adoption fund:
$0-$1500

XUfan
12-30-2010, 12:56:22 PM
Hey Julie!! Can you drop mine down to $500, instead of $1000? I wrote the letter today and I'm taking it to my boss...so I'm thinking that I should set a lower goal now. I'm still hoping for the $1000, but I don't want to get upset if I don't get there! Does that make sense??

VivaciousJewelz
12-30-2010, 01:30:36 PM
Hey Julie!! Can you drop mine down to $500, instead of $1000? I wrote the letter today and I'm taking it to my boss...so I'm thinking that I should set a lower goal now. I'm still hoping for the $1000, but I don't want to get upset if I don't get there! Does that make sense??

Totally understandable! No worries, this is not set in stone, I can change anyone's goals at any time. :biggrin:

jenrose
12-30-2010, 02:20:42 PM
I finally made it to the bank to deposit my bonus check. That went straight into savings. Yipppeeeee!

cjpsmom
12-30-2010, 04:17:18 PM
BABAM! Add $55.00 to mine please...total $100.:smile:

cody82414
12-30-2010, 04:40:45 PM
how come all this money isn't still going tinto your 2010 savings?

MoneySavinDiva
12-30-2010, 05:02:35 PM

I didn't do this in 2010...so it's a fresh start for me :smile:

cody82414
12-31-2010, 03:28:40 AM
I didn't do this in 2010...so it's a fresh start for me :smile:

Nice start! :smile:
Here's to hoping things continue for you all!!

SouthernBelle5
12-31-2010, 07:44:46 AM
Got some checks but won't post them until cashed....hopefully today.

cjpsmom
12-31-2010, 08:36:32 AM

Weeeeelllllllll, I kinda lost track of my 2010 so I thought I'd start fresh with this thread....is that okay?:poke:

cody82414
12-31-2010, 08:52:39 AM
Weeeeelllllllll, I kinda lost track of my 2010 so I thought I'd start fresh with this thread....is that okay?:poke:

I love fresh starts too!:smile:

cjpsmom
12-31-2010, 09:08:02 AM
I need a fresh start...since things haven't gone as "planned", I have to figure out what mama wants.;)

cody82414
12-31-2010, 09:10:49 AM
I need a fresh start...since things haven't gone as "planned", I have to figure out what mama wants.;)

Keep trying D
It'll happen as He sees fit <3

dliver316
12-31-2010, 03:42:53 PM
I am in on this challenge too! I want to save at least $5000 this year.

We did Dave Ramsey for a long time and paid off all of our debt except the house, but somehow we got back into our old habits and have managed to take on a NEW van payment and put some money on a credit card. This AFTER we had cut up all credit cards and swore we would never use them again.

So my goal is to pay off the credit card and then save up $5000 in the emergency fund. My hubby and I are going to discuss it so my total will probably change.

actvmom
12-31-2010, 06:49:26 PM
I probably won't be posting all of my savings, but I am stoked about this one. We got an unexpected check in the mail from the mortgage company from our Escrow account. So, $2300 of my $38K!!!! And its all going toward the car!!!!

SouthernBelle5
12-31-2010, 07:59:51 PM
$28 to the good!

amylynne01
12-31-2010, 08:30:21 PM
I probably won't be posting all of my savings, but I am stoked about this one. We got an unexpected check in the mail from the mortgage company from our Escrow account. So, $2300 of my $38K!!!! And its all going toward the car!!!!

<--Jealous. We got our escrow statement today, and we are short $364.:hectic: But after we pay that, the mortgage is going down by $60!

WTG on everyone's savings before 2011. I know that we can do this!

actvmom
12-31-2010, 08:40:20 PM
<--Jealous. We got our escrow statement today, and we are short $364.:hectic: But after we pay that, the mortgage is going down by $60!

Well, you may get a surprise check at the end of the year too. We had to make some sort of payment to fix our escrow last year and then look what happened. I just don't get it.:dontknow1: I'm not complaining now, but I sure did last year when we had to pay.:giggle2:

wv_sbtl
12-31-2010, 11:11:06 PM
I'm in for this. I'm going to shoot for $4000. We are having our first child in a few weeks so I don't know how that will work out for us, but that is what we will try for.

justmama
12-31-2010, 11:24:47 PM
I'll have to contemplate for a minute to figure out a goal. Our debt is our house and 2 car notes, one with 0% the other is 1.9%. I don't feel the rush to pay those off since the interest is little and 0 respectively. We ended the year w/a nice small cushion. We have a LOT of big things planned in 2011, and my goal is to pay cash. I am also saving all rebates in a separate account to see how much we can make from those.

Jan-Going to disney paid for included dining plan, still plan to spend a couple hundred OOP.
Feb-nothing
March-ds12 baseball dues ($350)-
April-pool dues $350
May-nothing
June-vacation to beach, parents pay 90% of everything
July-ds9 to do drama camp $250
August- ds12 baseball team to play in cooperstown, will be about $2000, up to $1000 less depending on fundraising. Plus food and spending money there for a week.
Sept
Oct
Nov
Dec

Also ds12 is interviewing for People to People Ambassador Program, if accepted he will tour Europe for 19 days this summer. I heard its about $5000. we go to the meeting on Jan 11, the find out specifics.

SO all of that to say, i need to save about $10k, but it will be a rolling amount, since it will have to come out to pay for these things.

ioncewasamjskeptic
01-01-2011, 03:27:30 AM
:BigHand:woot!!! Im up:hysterical: LOL I got 2 survey checks in mail $5 & $10

cjpsmom
01-01-2011, 06:45:38 AM
I'm in for this. I'm going to shoot for $4000. We are having our first child in a few weeks so I don't know how that will work out for us, but that is what we will try for.
Congrats!!!:BigHand:

Since property taxes skyrocketed for us a couple years back, we've been using however much of our tax return to pay the "short amount" off and try to keep our payment as low as we can get it...can't really afford for that monthly payment to go up.:rolleyes24: I think last year we were short $419...I hope we're aren't too short this year...I'll find out towards the end of February.

VivaciousJewelz
01-01-2011, 01:12:40 PM
Updated to here, I'm glad to see the new people and to see people saving money already!

momof2inohio
01-02-2011, 01:12:35 PM
I'll join in on this one too. So far I have 3 new goals this year!! I am not sure how much I need to save right now but we do need a new washer and a two new laptops. I will start my goal off at $2,000 and see how it goes.

cybilx10
01-02-2011, 08:55:38 PM
I would love to join in on this one. I think this will help keep me on track. I am gonna start off with $50 a month and on those months when I get extra $ in my paycheck, all the extra goes to the savings account.

Plus, I need to pay down my credit card debt.

rebate_queen
01-03-2011, 05:17:02 AM
I am going to try this, but I am not really going to set a goal if that's OK. I would just like to keep track of how much "extra" money is coming in since this will be my first full year without a "real" job. I am going to count all rebate money I get, along with any money from trades and auctions and see how much I'm saving.

VivaciousJewelz
01-03-2011, 06:26:42 AM
I would love to join in on this one. I think this will help keep me on track. I am gonna start off with $50 a month and on those months when I get extra $ in my paycheck, all the extra goes to the savings account.

Plus, I need to pay down my credit card debt.

I am going to try this, but I am not really going to set a goal if that's OK. I would just like to keep track of how much "extra" money is coming in since this will be my first full year without a "real" job. I am going to count all rebate money I get, along with any money from trades and auctions and see how much I'm saving.

Glad to see you both! :wavehi:

momof2inohio
01-03-2011, 10:59:20 AM
I opened up a new savings account today and put $50.00 in it. So I am $50/$2,000.

dliver316
01-03-2011, 01:22:27 PM
Deposited $12 in pinecone research checks into my sons savings acct. I put all my money from surveys in an account for him and I was pleasantly surprised to see today it is at $660.00 - all from surveys!

Current $12
Goal $5000

Edit to Add: My hubby put $100 in our savings today!

Current $112
Goal $5000

justmama
01-03-2011, 01:59:32 PM
Balanced our checking accounts today. After everything said and done. $1000.00 in savings for listed expenses.

SouthernBelle5
01-03-2011, 02:11:07 PM
$8 from Rite Aid SCR program

rebate_queen
01-03-2011, 03:08:46 PM
I just got $6 in my paypal for auctions.

Total saved so far: $6.00

XUfan
01-04-2011, 06:50:25 AM
Yesterday's mail included:

$3 check from Pinecone
$2 cc from trades

So far...$5
Goal...$500
To go...$495

rebate_queen
01-04-2011, 07:29:24 AM
Up to $16.50 for me!

momof2inohio
01-04-2011, 01:30:45 PM
Today I put $15.00 towards savings. So I am at $65.00/$2,000.00

Spanelli8706
01-04-2011, 03:37:47 PM
Where are you guys saving your money? Online banks (which ones)? Local banks? Credit Unions? Under your matress? I am curious!

We have our $1000 ER cash in a safety deposit box. We also have a savings acct thru Chase, which is small. I just opened each of my DDs an account online thru ING- for birthday & Xmas money.
But I would like to open an account for larger savings... can't decide where. I'd like to hear your responses!!

rebate_queen
01-04-2011, 03:57:39 PM
I am up to $19.00 and I will be deposting some money from rebates tomorrow so I will have more to add to my total. I'm sure I could save more than my trades & rebates, but I just want to tally how much I am actually taking in from those things.

foodie
01-04-2011, 04:16:07 PM
Hi,

I got the perfect nickname for the Coupon Clippers for this thread--drumroll please! Dollar Divas--is this okay for me to call you that?:hysterical::giggle2:

Way to go Dollar $ Divas!:BigHand:

Keep up the good work!

Foodie:biggrin:

momof2inohio
01-04-2011, 04:17:36 PM
Where are you guys saving your money? Online banks (which ones)? Local banks? Credit Unions? Under your matress? I am curious!

We have our $1000 ER cash in a safety deposit box. We also have a savings acct thru Chase, which is small. I just opened each of my DDs an account online thru ING- for birthday & Xmas money.
But I would like to open an account for larger savings... can't decide where. I'd like to hear your responses!!

I opened up a goal setter savings account just for this since I am just saving for a new washer and 2 new laptops.

DH and I have our big savings account at our bank and then also college savings accounts for the kids. I didn't want to combine this money with the other savings since I am just putting in extra money here and there.

rdot
01-04-2011, 05:21:45 PM
I finally have something saved!:dance7:

A rebate check came today and I cleaned out my change jar - 57.00 saved.

VivaciousJewelz
01-04-2011, 06:28:31 PM
Yay! Good job guys!

And Foodie, I looooove Dollar $ Divas!

Spanelli8706
01-04-2011, 08:44:27 PM
I opened up a goal setter savings account just for this since I am just saving for a new washer and 2 new laptops.

DH and I have our big savings account at our bank and then also college savings accounts for the kids. I didn't want to combine this money with the other savings since I am just putting in extra money here and there.

Thanks for the response. That's great you have a college savings account for the kids! I wish my parents would have been able to do that for me...fortunately I was able to get a few scholarships though. But the extra would have been nice. They'll totally appreciate you for it!

foodie
01-04-2011, 09:37:54 PM
Hi, Julie and others--

Glad you are now members of Dollar Divas Club and hereby are enrolled.

Hear ye, hear ye (yes, it is late):rolleyes24:--Dollar Divas Club only dues are coupons.

Sorry it is late and I have just put the twins down. They have been sick all night. Must be some bug going around. No preschool for them tomorrow am. Hubby put the older kids to bed at 8 pm and we tried the twins; but unfortunately they were up vomitting, etc. Hubby finally went to bed about 1 hour ago.:sad3:

Finally, about 30 minutes ago they went to sleep. Poor kids ate their dinner fine; but it didn't last. Rice, applesauce, and Pedialyte tomorrow, I guess.

Hope tomorrow is better. No SD(s) for me until Friday or Saturday?:sad3:

Have a good night all--

MoneySavinDiva
01-05-2011, 01:43:44 AM

We have a savings account at our local bank, I'm considering anf ING account for some longer term savings though...

XUfan
01-05-2011, 06:27:06 AM
OK...I just transferred $16.56 into my savings, from my paycheck that was deposited overnight.

$478.44 to go!!!

VivaciousJewelz
01-06-2011, 11:20:43 AM
OK...I just transferred $16.56 into my savings, from my paycheck that was deposited overnight.

$478.44 to go!!!

Yay!

Okay, I FINALLY have some savings to report! I found a random $20 that I'd stashed in my room... So I'll keep saving it! :giggle2:

jenrose
01-06-2011, 11:31:54 AM
Friday is payday so I'll have some to transfer over then. Won't be a huge amount but I'll do what I can LOL

Zwella Ingrid
01-06-2011, 11:43:37 AM
This past year was disastrous in terms of staying with my Dave Ramsey plan. So I'm starting over in 2011, and my first goal will be to get $1,000 in an emergency fund. I have $100 towards that goal so far.

XUfan
01-06-2011, 12:14:35 PM
Yay!

Okay, I FINALLY have some savings to report! I found a random $20 that I'd stashed in my room... So I'll keep saving it! :giggle2:

Thanks Julie for the support! Just to put it in perspective...that $16.56 was 10% of my paycheck...for 2 weeks! I told you I had a piddly job! But, I can usually buy all of our gas and part of our groceries with it.

VivaciousJewelz
01-06-2011, 01:54:55 PM
Every little bit helps, it doesn't matter how little you think you make. :smile:

MoneySavinDiva
01-07-2011, 08:27:08 PM
Got a $5 check in the mail today...puts me up to $106 :smile:

rebate_queen
01-08-2011, 05:07:19 AM
I haven't made it to the bank yet to deposit my rebate checks, so for now I am holding at $25 from trades.

XUfan
01-08-2011, 05:12:29 AM
I'm taking $19 to the bank today. It's from rebate checks that I got in the mail on Thurs and Fri.

cjpsmom
01-08-2011, 07:15:13 AM
I'm adding $10 to savings...have to keep up with msd (no I'm not competing:wink7:)...so.....

BaBAM!!! $110/1700

It's going to be a loooong year at this rate...I sent out $10 in mir's yesterday and have about $20 worth to get ready.:smile:

VivaciousJewelz
01-08-2011, 07:25:44 AM
Payday was yesterday so I'm adding another $100 to savings. I'm at $120 now!

res030ei
01-08-2011, 04:36:08 PM
im still here. i had surgery on tuesday so im kinda of laid up for awhile. i should have some more savings to report tomorrow when i get a chance to look at everything.

VivaciousJewelz
01-08-2011, 05:10:02 PM
im still here. i had surgery on tuesday so im kinda of laid up for awhile. i should have some more savings to report tomorrow when i get a chance to look at everything.

Don't worry, we ain't gonna boot ya from the thread or anything! :giggle2: Sorry to hear you had surgery. :sad3: I hope you get/are better!

rebate_queen
01-08-2011, 05:16:36 PM
Just got $115 from my awesome FREEs auction (Thanks Phaedra!) so I am up to $140 now!

Edit: Just go another $2.24 from my other auction that ended tonight, so make that $142.24:BigHand:

res030ei
01-08-2011, 08:13:07 PM
Don't worry, we ain't gonna boot ya from the thread or anything! :giggle2: Sorry to hear you had surgery. :sad3: I hope you get/are better!

thanks! good to know i wont get booted :giggle2: im not sorry i had surgery. i got a tummy tuck! :BigHand: goes nicely with my umm "twins" (and i dont mean kids) i bought 2 years ago :wink7: my mommy makeover is complete!

puakinikini
01-08-2011, 09:36:27 PM
So, I am at $250 in savings, hope to add $150 more this paycheck

VivaciousJewelz
01-09-2011, 06:04:28 AM
thanks! good to know i wont get booted :giggle2: im not sorry i had surgery. i got a tummy tuck! :BigHand: goes nicely with my umm "twins" (and i dont mean kids) i bought 2 years ago :wink7: my mommy makeover is complete!

Well in that case, that's awesome! :biggrin:

So, I am at $250 in savings, hope to add $150 more this paycheck

WTG! :BigHand:

jenrose
01-09-2011, 08:42:01 AM
Well I think I'll hold off transfering $ over from this weeks paycheck. Target's toy clearance is coming soon and I try to stock up on bday presents for the kids friends for the year.

Zwella Ingrid
01-10-2011, 12:22:09 PM
I added $100 to savings from my check this week. I think I already mentioned it, but I'm working on an emergency fund. If I could only get DH on board. He has been spending money like a drunken sailor for the last two months. It is frustrating, I feel like we are never going to make any progress until I can get him on the program.

amylynne01
01-10-2011, 01:02:12 PM
Okay I'm back! I just got our banking all updated and paid bills. I saved $600 once all was said and done! This week was really good, but I'm anticipating that saving will slow down since I'm not getting paid again until mid February. We're also upping the amount that is automatically deposited into our EF once DH goes back to work tomorrow, so that means a little less for everything else.

Good job to everyone so far!:BigHand:

XUfan
01-10-2011, 01:33:41 PM
Um....confession time. Take the $19 worth of rebate money off of my total. I was headed to the bank with it, but realized I needed gas for the week. So, I cashed them instead of depositing them.

momof2inohio
01-11-2011, 09:35:03 AM
I put $15.00 in savings today. I'm at $80.00/$2,000

rdot
01-11-2011, 05:58:09 PM
added 21.00 to my savings for a total of 78/1200

dliver316
01-11-2011, 10:22:09 PM
We added another $100 to the savings account today...brings total to $212 goal $5000.

amylynne01
01-12-2011, 09:50:51 AM
Added 30.92 today. Total is 630.92 - goal is 6000.00!

to1drland
01-12-2011, 10:56:15 AM
been procrastinating getting a post in for this....I'm kinda slow this yr.:whistle67:

Don't really have a $ goal to put in.....but I've put $200.00 in so far.

VivaciousJewelz
01-12-2011, 11:00:33 AM
been procrastinating getting a post in for this....I'm kinda slow this yr.:whistle67:

Don't really have a $ goal to put in.....but I've put $200.00 in so far.

Yay! Good to have you!

cjpsmom
01-12-2011, 06:47:25 PM
hey julie...are we the Dollar $ Divas?

foodie
01-12-2011, 08:33:39 PM
Hi,

I am not Julie--but go, go, go, Dollar $ Diva--yeah!:smile::smile::smile::whistle67:

to1drland
01-12-2011, 11:43:34 PM
added another $100 to my savings account today!:BigHand: puts me @ $300.00 now.

cjpsmom
01-13-2011, 12:31:24 PM
Adding $500 to my stash from my yearly "paycheck"...total is $610/1700.

SouthernBelle5
01-14-2011, 11:48:08 AM
$20 from rebates added

brokenangel
01-15-2011, 07:58:43 AM
So I was able to pay off $1300 credit card debt. :BigHand: Such a relief!

VivaciousJewelz
01-16-2011, 06:00:25 PM
hey julie...are we the Dollar $ Divas?

Yep! Foodie came up with the name and I ran with it!

Hi,

I am not Julie--but go, go, go, Dollar $ Diva--yeah!:smile::smile::smile::whistle67:

:BigHand: Thanks for the cute name, Foodie!

Awesome! What's next for ya?

I went to visit my sister today and she gave me my Christmas present... $35! So that goes directly in savings!

MoneySavinDiva
01-16-2011, 06:15:24 PM
Got a $2 rebate check in the mail the other day :smile:

to1drland
01-17-2011, 01:22:26 PM
put another $100 into savings today:BigHand: up to $400 now:biggrin:

dliver316
01-17-2011, 01:24:36 PM
We added another $100 to savings! Total now $312!

hillaryef
01-17-2011, 09:07:57 PM
:wavehi: I was wonderin' if you guys had room for another person????

DH and I are desperate to save money this year. Last year was a really rough on us and we have no savings. :sad3:

Anyway, I've seen so many of you guys saving so much money. I'd like to have 2 different types of "savings" in my signature now. One is savings from coupons. But the other is going to be actual money I'm PUTTING INTO savings (what a concept!!!).

We just saw our FIRST paycheck with DH's raise :BigHand:. And even though we've got debt galore, I've thought wouldn't it make sense to put money towards the credit cards and some money in savings? Right?

Plus...the only way DH and I are going on our anniversary vacation (that we've been "planning" for three years now...but the last two we just couldn't swing it) is if I save it from rebates/surveys/other tricks that I've GOT to figure out that I don't know right now but I'm PRAYING I learn! But we can't do it if we have to spend money from our current income. So...that's my other challenge

Gosh...that was really, really wordy. Anyway...if you don't mind my hanging out and such, I'd love to join. I could use the hand holding and support!! And I know some of you guys and would love to get to know the rest of you guys!

I told DH that 2011 was going to be a better year for us! And we are doing our best to make it happen. So, I thought this might be a good place to start!

Now here's my question...how do we determine what our saving goal is? What strategies did you guys use? I mean...I know that DH and I have a goal to pay $3,600 on our credit card (separate from normal payments to our other one that we pay off in full monthly...this is one we aren't using any longer). Plus I really want to have $500 for our mini-vacation (that's in May). And we'd really like to have $5K in the bank by year end but that includes our tax refund (which is usually $3-4K...our annual property taxes are $5K on our little house :sad3: we have something like the third highest property taxes in the entire state of OH...grrr...sorry, I'll get off soap box!)

Thoughts?????????

(thanks for letting me invaid the thread!!) :smile:

-Hillary

Help!!!

jenrose
01-17-2011, 09:21:27 PM
Hillary,

This is my opinion and solely that, just my opinion. I would start with a 'mini' emergency fund of $1000 in savings. Then work on paying off your debt (starting with the smallest balance first). Once you have paid off all debt except your house (I assume you have a mortgage) then work on putting 3-6 months of expenses into savings. This is the basis of the Dave Ramsy plan and I very much agree with his ideals.

You need to figure out what works best for you and go from there but the above is what I see as the most workable plan.

And if you want to save for your mini vacation then I would take all you extra (non working wages) and set it aside for that. But after you have taken your desired vacation then divert that income over to your debt. Try selling off unwanted items in your home, rebates, surveys, etc.

Zwella Ingrid
01-18-2011, 07:18:23 AM
That is awesome! Congratulations! I seem to be spinning my wheels. I finally came up with $50 extra to put toward some debt, but then before I could use it on the debt, I had to use it last night to buy medicine for DS2. I'm glad I had it to use, but it is frustrating. It feels like I'm not getting anywhere. I know that is not true, but it feels that way just the same.

Zwella Ingrid
01-18-2011, 07:25:32 AM
Hillary,

This is my opinion and solely that, just my opinion. I would start with a 'mini' emergency fund of $1000 in savings. Then work on paying off your debt (starting with the smallest balance first). Once you have paid off all debt except your house (I assume you have a mortgage) then work on putting 3-6 months of expenses into savings. This is the basis of the Dave Ramsy plan and I very much agree with his ideals.

You need to figure out what works best for you and go from there but the above is what I see as the most workable plan.

And if you want to save for your mini vacation then I would take all you extra (non working wages) and set it aside for that. But after you have taken your desired vacation then divert that income over to your debt. Try selling off unwanted items in your home, rebates, surveys, etc.
Jenrose has given some good advice. I too am a fan of Dave Ramsey, and this basic plan is what you need. His ideas of the importance of establishing an emergency fund first, makes so much sense. A $1,000 emergency fund is the perfect place to start.

VivaciousJewelz
01-18-2011, 07:38:03 AM
Hillary!! One of my favorite people! :biggrin: I'm so glad to see you in here! :hug25: Of course you are welcome here!!!

Jen gave some great advice, I would set a small goal (like $1000 in emergency funds) and work towards that, and once you get that, you can make a larger goal, etc etc.

The way I figured out my number ($7,000) was I thought about what I hope to accomplish by the end of the year and how much money I'll need set aside to make that happen. We'll see how it goes, it's been slow starting so far.

As far as making money... I'm doing anything and everything I can- MyPoints, Inbox Dollars, Swagbucks, Associated Content, Opinion Outpost, contacting companies for money-saving coupons, non-insert hunting in my local stores to get items for trading, Craiglisting or eBaying anything we don't need anymore, maybe watching a friend's kids for a couple extra bucks here and there.

Zwella- I'm right there with you. I should have more money in savings, but a couple family emergencies came up that I felt responsible paying for, and even if it wasn't something that directly affected me and Cara, I feel like if I HAVE the money, and someone in my family is in danger of losing something essential (like electricity and gas...) then I feel bad if I don't help them out, and that's what happened. I used some of my money that COULD have been saved to help a family member in need. Obviously, I can't continue to do that b/c I have my own goals and things I need to accomplish this year for me and Cara, and that has to take priority, but in this situation (no electricity in winter) I felt responsible.

MoneySavinDiva
01-19-2011, 09:49:28 AM
Got another $2 MIR check today...puts me at $110 :smile:

amylynne01
01-19-2011, 09:56:11 AM
Tomorrow is savings day for me, but I was curious what other folks were doing with any potential tax returns. I've been working on ours, and we're getting back a hefty amount because of mortgage interest, child care, education credits, student loan interest, etc. Just trying to think about what to do with it.

ETA: DH is changing his deductions this week so next year our refund won't be as big. It's nice to get a huge chunk of change, but I don't want my money to hang out interest-free with the federal government.:wink7:

MoneySavinDiva
01-19-2011, 10:37:00 AM
Tomorrow is savings day for me, but I was curious what other folks were doing with any potential tax returns. I've been working on ours, and we're getting back a hefty amount because of mortgage interest, child care, education credits, student loan interest, etc. Just trying to think about what to do with it.

ETA: DH is changing his deductions this week so next year our refund won't be as big. It's nice to get a huge chunk of change, but I don't want my money to hang out interest-free with the federal government.:wink7:

We are going to finish paying off hubs' motorcycle and put the rest in savings with ours.

VivaciousJewelz
01-19-2011, 10:39:09 AM
Awesome guys!

No tax return for me, unfortunately. I'll be lucky if I don't owe! Great job on the savings, everyone!

cjpsmom
01-19-2011, 01:58:26 PM

We started last year applying ours to the escrow increase (in order to decrease our payment) and this year we'll do the same thing (but it won't decrease this because of taxes going up:hectic:)...so we'll prolly do that and apply a good chunk to principle on the loan...it's all we have to payoff.:smile:...and if by chance there's anything left, we'll prolly purchase something for the house.

actvmom
01-19-2011, 06:46:13 PM
We owe every year, I soooooo wish we got a refund so we could apply it to Principle or something like that.

momof2inohio
01-19-2011, 07:23:36 PM
Really wish we were getting a huge refund. Would sure help out!!! I put $50.00 in our savings today.

to1drland
01-19-2011, 11:20:54 PM
added $300.00 to my savings account tonight. (my paycheck goes into checking direct deposit on Wed. nights) puts me $700.00 so far for the year.

We will be using our refund to put on a deck addition on at the cabin this year.:BigHand:

amylynne01
01-21-2011, 09:32:47 AM
Added 19.50 to savings for a total of 650.42!

VivaciousJewelz
01-21-2011, 11:30:51 AM
You guys are rocking this challenge! Great job!

hillaryef
01-21-2011, 03:18:53 PM
Julie...you are one of my most favoritestest people too!!! BIG HUGS!!!!!

Put $150.02 into our savings. Our pay check puts $150.02 each paycheck which is a little more than $300/month b/c there are 26 paychecks a year. I gathered up all our coins and took it to coinstar so we got $46 for that YEAH! Planned to do a amazon giftcard so we didn't pay anything...but the machine was having difficulty so they ended up giving me cash with no fee.

We will get a really large refund b/c our property tax is really high ($4,800 on our $180K house) We plan to use the first $1K for the EF everyone has recommended we set up! And then we'll take the rest and pay off our high interest credit card. That should finish that up. And then we are just left with the one no-interest credit card and our current one that we are hopefully going to get paid down by next month and then pay off every month. We just need to get the car stuff off of it first. (then again...it always seems to be something...right?!?)

Amy: I swear...I need to follow you around and just figure out how it is that you always seem to figure out how to save money! You rock it!

amylynne01
01-21-2011, 05:24:55 PM
Julie...you are one of my most favoritestest people too!!! BIG HUGS!!!!!

Put $150.02 into our savings. Our pay check puts $150.02 each paycheck which is a little more than $300/month b/c there are 26 paychecks a year. I gathered up all our coins and took it to coinstar so we got $46 for that YEAH! Planned to do a amazon giftcard so we didn't pay anything...but the machine was having difficulty so they ended up giving me cash with no fee.

We will get a really large refund b/c our property tax is really high ($4,800 on our $180K house) We plan to use the first $1K for the EF everyone has recommended we set up! And then we'll take the rest and pay off our high interest credit card. That should finish that up. And then we are just left with the one no-interest credit card and our current one that we are hopefully going to get paid down by next month and then pay off every month. We just need to get the car stuff off of it first. (then again...it always seems to be something...right?!?)

Amy: I swear...I need to follow you around and just figure out how it is that you always seem to figure out how to save money! You rock it!

You are so sweet! It's only been in the past year or so that my determination to save money and make a difference in our financial status has been in high gear. We've also had some big financial changes this past year where DH got a raise, I've been working more, and we cut out daycare, so there's more money to go around. But we are still in a boat that's not going anywhere because we do have cc debt, as well as 2 cars, student loans, and a house.:rolleyes24:

You can do it, Hillary. Even if you get your $1000 EF, you will feel SOOOO much better knowing that you have a security blanket just in case! That goes for all of us - we CAN do this. You can meet any goal you have. You might just have to get creative with how you're getting there.

:cheerleader2:

res030ei
01-21-2011, 09:02:30 PM
i finally got to add some money to our savings account! :BigHand: my total is in siggy

MoneySavinDiva
01-22-2011, 06:55:34 AM
$4.09 more added :smile:

hillaryef
01-22-2011, 04:29:05 PM
2011 Savings Challenge: $114.09/$7000, 98.4% to go http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/images/smilies/foxes_12%5B1%5D.gif

I love how you've put the % here!!! I'm going to do the same thing!!!!

SouthernBelle5
01-24-2011, 05:52:16 PM
$66.00 added! :BigHand:

res030ei
01-25-2011, 07:54:40 AM
what is everyone planning on doing with their savings at the end of the year? my goal is to pay off my tummy tuck bill ($6k). I am a sahm and we are living on dh's income. plus we have a big remodeling project going on to our house. we added a new bedroom and kitchen plus a new basement that is connected to the existing one. then we are making some changes to the existing part. whew lots of work and dh is doing it all himself. i help as much as i can. so our house is eating up lots of money but it will be worth it. we are going from 2bedroom 1 bath to 3 bedroom 2 bath. we need the space!
its an interesting challenge for me to try to reach my goal as much as possible. i have another coupon class coming up in which everyone is paying me $10 each. im hoping for some high numbers. so far 6 is coming. whatever i make from that will go to savings:smile:

VivaciousJewelz
01-25-2011, 08:09:03 AM
I plan on using about half to get my own apartment for me and Cara, that will hopefully happen this summer.

Can everyone double check their totals? Some of you are making me add, and I want to make sure I added right! :giggle2:

ioncewasamjskeptic
01-25-2011, 08:17:23 AM
OK, MAJOR breaks in action after holidays!:-( but I did get a couple survey checks and an ebay auction sold:-) so, i think I was at $15, +$3, +$5 = $23 + 4.64 = $ 27.64/1500. GG Everyone!! Lorrie

gatosqueak
01-25-2011, 08:34:51 AM
Adoptions are off now for nutty reasons.. but still want to save $1500 this year.. We are up to $920 right now. :)

SouthernBelle5
01-25-2011, 08:52:50 AM
I'm saving for adoption fees and so that we can pay 50% on our next house. OR take an international trip if I can convince DH. :whistle67::biggrin:

My total is correct.

jenrose
01-25-2011, 09:17:30 AM
I never got around to transfering money into savings after payday (Friday) which is probably a good thing since I would have likely had to pull it back out. We had to replace the mailbox (From DH's Runaway car crashing thru it!) and picked up some new dimmer switches and such while we were at the hardware store.

I WILL get back to my transfering to savings! I WILL!

dliver316
01-25-2011, 09:35:42 AM
Another $100 to savings! Now $412.

MoneySavinDiva
01-26-2011, 12:30:32 PM
I keep forgetting to report another $2 MIR check that I got in the mail last week. Hopefully sooner rather than later I'll have bigger amounts to report rather than these little piddly checks. I'm getting nowhere at this rate :rolleyes24:

VivaciousJewelz
01-26-2011, 12:49:54 PM
I keep forgetting to report another $2 MIR check that I got in the mail last week. Hopefully sooner rather than later I'll have bigger amounts to report rather than these little piddly checks. I'm getting nowhere at this rate :rolleyes24:

$2 is better than nothing! Every little bit helps! You know what we couponers can do with $2?? :giggle2:

MoneySavinDiva
01-26-2011, 01:30:51 PM
$2 is better than nothing! Every little bit helps! You know what we couponers can do with $2?? :giggle2:

You're right...a dollar goes a long ways in a couponers world! :giggle2:

I just listed several books and dvd's to sell, hopefully they all sell so I can push that money onto hubs' motorcycle loan...one penny at a time, that dumb thing WILL be paid off by December!!!

jenrose
01-26-2011, 01:31:23 PM
I finally made a transfer into savings yesterday. And came up with an actual goal. So now I know what I'm shooting for.

Julie did you get another new tatoo?

VivaciousJewelz
01-26-2011, 02:17:06 PM
I finally made a transfer into savings yesterday. And came up with an actual goal. So now I know what I'm shooting for.

Julie did you get another new tatoo?

Yep! I got two more, actually, right before I started my savings challenge. So now I have 4 tattoos and 7 piercings. I'm done for a while, though, I think I've shocked my conservative sister enough! :giggle2:

cjpsmom
01-26-2011, 02:37:54 PM
Well now, I can imagine...teehee...(tatoo subject)

I have not forgotten this challenge...will have to roll change soon, my basket is almost full again...

VivaciousJewelz
01-26-2011, 03:21:21 PM
Well now, I can imagine...teehee...(tatoo subject)

I have not forgotten this challenge...will have to roll change soon, my basket is almost full again...

No worries, I love it when people pop in here even if it's just to chit-chat with no savings to report! :smile:

Zwella Ingrid
01-27-2011, 09:03:05 AM
I put another $100 in savings for a total of $300, but I may be taking at least part of it out, as DS2 needs to get a passport for a mission trip he is taking this summer, and it has rolled around quicker than I anticipated, in terms of having the money to get it. Plus it is more expensive than I originally thought. But for now, the $300 figure is accurate.

hillaryef
01-28-2011, 08:39:58 AM

I was thinking about what you said and the number of times I've said things like that to DH. And he looks at me and says...we've turned back around if we aren't that far from home b/c you know you have enough coupons to save $2. We won't buy something at that time b/c you know you have coupons to cover it and make it free (aka save $2). So...what may look like "just" $2 really is SO much more. And we really feel like we've accomplished quite a bit when we land a free or something along those lines and that may be in the $2 range. So just like Julie said...it is amazing what us couponers can do with $2 and what we are willing to do to save $2 :giggle2:.

rdot
01-28-2011, 11:41:12 AM
Added $33 today so my new total is $111/$1,200

cjpsmom
01-28-2011, 02:41:11 PM
Alright julie, here ya go....$101 to my stash....$711/1700.:smile:

hillaryef
01-29-2011, 07:41:58 AM
Guess what guys...we are ACTUALLY going to do it. We've always said that we were going to pay down this credit card EVERY month. But geez we said that about the last one and now we are in $3,600 over our head on that one...I know, I know, I know...UGH!

But we did it this month (with $500 EF in the bank...Okay...I know it isn't the $1000 we should have but I really, really wanted to accomplish the goal of completely paying off the credit card) We are still putting $150.02 towards the EF on Monday. So we have paid the CC off AND we will be at $650.02 in the EF...so that's better than nothing...RIGHT!!!

I know Julie...you are probably looking at that totally going...HUH...how is it that Hill has money towards the EF now and hasn't posted that she's added $500 towards the savings. Well...we did a lot of shifting of money. Like I said...we took to heart what you guys said in here about the EF...we agreed you guys were right. But it isn't that we generated NEW savings. We just moved around money and such. So...it isn't that we created new money persay. We did have some money left over from last year. It just wasn't in what you guys called the EF fund. Now it is there. And it won't be touched. And now our new savings is going there instead of other places (like towards CC and such). And the money that we put towards our payoff every month CC isn't counting towards our savings goal b/c that's our generated monthly spending (did that make sense). But I was trying to see if we'd be able to put extra money this month towards the EF without strapping us in other places and it just wouldn't work. If I put that extra $275 towards our EF like I was hoping then we wouldn't pay off our monthly CC and I think that would have really put us behind the 8 ball mentally...does that make sense???

So on monday (b/c it is the next business day) we will add the following to our savings: $450.02...bringing our total up to 686.06. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MoneySavinDiva
01-30-2011, 07:13:18 AM
I was thinking about what you said and the number of times I've said things like that to DH. And he looks at me and says...we've turned back around if we aren't that far from home b/c you know you have enough coupons to save $2. We won't buy something at that time b/c you know you have coupons to cover it and make it free (aka save $2). So...what may look like "just" $2 really is SO much more. And we really feel like we've accomplished quite a bit when we land a free or something along those lines and that may be in the $2 range. So just like Julie said...it is amazing what us couponers can do with $2 and what we are willing to do to save $2 :giggle2:.

I've been thinking a lot about this and you are very right! Your point was drove home for me yesterday when I was out doing the peanut butter deal at HyVee, and they wouldn't accept my coupons because they say "one per purchase" and of course they refused to believe me when I tried to explain the whole purchase vs. transaction thing :rolleyes24: Anyways, since they wouldn't let me use my nine $1/1 coupons, I left empty handed.

So, you are absolutely right that a $2 check may not seem like a lot, but if you put it into coupon perspective, a $2 coupon for example, is a pretty big deal! So I'll just keep plugging away :smile:

And I also have $35 to add to my total :BigHand:

MoneySavinDiva
01-31-2011, 05:33:22 PM
Was able to add another $50 today :smile:

dliver316
01-31-2011, 09:23:57 PM
Added another $100 today ..up to $512 goal $5000.

SouthernBelle5
02-01-2011, 06:50:05 AM
$ 1474.22 added

VivaciousJewelz
02-01-2011, 07:07:41 AM
$ 1474.22 added

Is your total $1596.22 now?

MoneySavinDiva
02-01-2011, 03:18:52 PM
Got a check for $100 in the mail today from the dealership we bought our car from - they have a referral program and hubs referred a guy he's on the fire dept. with there :BigHand:

jenrose
02-01-2011, 03:28:22 PM
Got a check for $100 in the mail today from the dealership we bought our car from - they have a referral program and hubs referred a guy he's on the fire dept. with there :BigHand:

Wow! $100! We get $25 for each person we refer to the dealership where we bought our truck.

Spanelli8706
02-01-2011, 03:32:59 PM

Great job on saving the unexpected money instead of spending it! What a nice surprise to get in the mail!

SouthernBelle5
02-01-2011, 04:08:55 PM
Is your total $1596.22 now?

Yep! :smile:

jenrose
02-01-2011, 04:15:34 PM
Yep! :smile:

And what is your goal again?!? You are doing AWSOME!

VivaciousJewelz
02-01-2011, 04:46:01 PM

Wow! That's awesome!

SouthernBelle5
02-01-2011, 05:49:46 PM
And what is your goal again?!? You are doing AWSOME!

I'm hoarding :hysterical:. No really, saving for adoption fees & just in case since we are a single income family. :smile:

amylynne01
02-02-2011, 11:54:00 AM
I will have money to add tomorrow, but I am changing my goal a little. My current goal is to pay off my cc and a loan we took out to redo our kitchen/bathroom floors. That is a total of $7000 (YIKES). Based on our tax refund, I will probably need another goal after this one.

I am so proud of all of us for doing this and putting money away.:BigHand:

MoneySavinDiva
02-02-2011, 01:46:14 PM
Got a $2 MIR check in the mail today...and a bill for the supplies to finish off our basement entryway :rolleyes24:

VivaciousJewelz
02-02-2011, 01:53:16 PM
Got a $2 MIR check in the mail today...and a bill for the supplies to finish off our basement entryway :rolleyes24:

I get my bills at home and have my coupon mail sent to my work address. One of my coworkers commented yesterday that I get a lot of coupons in the mail. I told him it was my goal to get a coupon for every bill I get in the mail and that I needed it delivered to work to motivate me to go so I can pay my bills. :giggle2:

hillaryef
02-02-2011, 03:16:12 PM
so ummmm...help me out here on this one. Our bedroom TV died. So...we decided to buy a new one. Probably not the best use of our money...but that's what we did. DH is working over time and did already put in 8 hours overtime. If he puts in another 5 he's paid off the TV. However...we've used some of the money we put into savings (over the EF...don't worry...haven't touched that :giggle2:)

so...do I go in and decrease my savings number :dontknow1:

VivaciousJewelz
02-02-2011, 04:46:03 PM
so ummmm...help me out here on this one. Our bedroom TV died. So...we decided to buy a new one. Probably not the best use of our money...but that's what we did. DH is working over time and did already put in 8 hours overtime. If he puts in another 5 he's paid off the TV. However...we've used some of the money we put into savings (over the EF...don't worry...haven't touched that :giggle2:)

so...do I go in and decrease my savings number :dontknow1:
You can if you want, it's totally up to you. There's really no rules here, that way I don't have to be strict on people... I'm a pushover. :hysterical:

SouthernBelle5
02-03-2011, 07:37:24 AM
added $6 so total is now 1602.22

to1drland
02-03-2011, 10:00:47 AM
added $200 to savings today!:BigHand:
puts me up to $900.00 so far! :biggrin:

gatosqueak
02-03-2011, 11:11:51 AM
You can update my total to $1020!

amylynne01
02-03-2011, 11:23:47 AM
$280 to tile floors
$759 to cc ($659 from state tax refund, $46.50 from rebates, $12.06 from pp, $41.44 from paycheck)
Total: $1039
Grand Total: $1689.42/$7000.00

res030ei
02-06-2011, 12:01:01 PM
i get to add a bit more making my total saved $364.76

MoneySavinDiva
02-07-2011, 08:25:58 AM
Got $5 in MIR checks in the mail over the weekend :smile:

gatosqueak
02-07-2011, 09:19:16 AM
Por favor, update us again:

$1020 to $1485 as of today!

VivaciousJewelz
02-07-2011, 09:34:20 AM
Updating!

MoneySavinDiva
02-08-2011, 05:38:31 AM
I was able to add an additional $35 last night

VivaciousJewelz
02-08-2011, 07:05:54 AM
Awesome MSD!

I got a $10 rebate check in the mail yesterday, which was a nice surprise and is going in savings. That brings my total savings to $165. I haven't added any other savings lately b/c I had unexpected car repairs that needed to be done. Luckily, I was able to pay those without taking money from savings.

res030ei
02-08-2011, 07:57:18 AM
Por favor, update us again:

$1020 to $1485 as of today!

what's your secret?
you go girl! :smile:

rebate_queen
02-08-2011, 10:49:41 AM
Sorry I haven't been posting!

I decided to just save and keep track of what I am getting from my trades and auctions only, instead of adding the rebates in there too. I though it might get too confusing LOL!

So, since the beginning of the year, I have saved $402.91.

hillaryef
02-08-2011, 12:47:55 PM

I decided to just save and keep track of what I am getting from my trades and auctions only, instead of adding the rebates in there too. I though it might get too confusing LOL!

Seriously Anna...you rock it!! I wish I could do that from trading and auctions. I watched you in auctions and wish I had your motivation!! I bet I could do quite a bit more if I actually got myself organized!! Maybe once I do...I will pm you for some hints :whistle67:

lasab
02-08-2011, 01:36:11 PM
I am kind of slow to join--but here goes. I had $3200 tucked away from coupon savings last year. I want/need new carpet desperately. I just got a bid and need about $5000 total. My goal is to have the $5000 by July. Wish me luck!

dliver316
02-08-2011, 01:44:13 PM
Added another $100 on Monday plus $19 in survey checks for a total of $631 - goal $5000.

VivaciousJewelz
02-08-2011, 05:04:23 PM

No worries! Glad to have ya back for a post! :biggrin: How do you get all the q's that you auction? Or how do you decide what q's you're gonna use and what you're gonna auction?

Seriously Anna...you rock it!! I wish I could do that from trading and auctions. I watched you in auctions and wish I had your motivation!! I bet I could do quite a bit more if I actually got myself organized!! Maybe once I do...I will pm you for some hints :whistle67:

I totally agree! Did you just see the FREE's auction she gave that got her something like $130?? It was awesome!

I am kind of slow to join--but here goes. I had $3200 tucked away from coupon savings last year. I want/need new carpet desperately. I just got a bid and need about $5000 total. My goal is to have the $5000 by July. Wish me luck!

Welcome to the thread! My name is Julie and I'm glad to have a new member posting in the forum! :smile:

Added another $100 on Monday plus $19 in survey checks for a total of $631 - goal $5000.

Yay! Updated!

rebate_queen
02-09-2011, 04:48:01 AM
No worries! Glad to have ya back for a post! :biggrin: How do you get all the q's that you auction? Or how do you decide what q's you're gonna use and what you're gonna auction?

I am lucky because I find alot of great non inserts here. Oh how I wish I they still put out the good NBPR rebates!:whistle67:

I am also lucky in that I have a large stockpile (I have been couponing for 5 years now this month) so most of the coupons I get (even the FREEs) I really don't need for myself. I do use alot of what I get, just not in really large quantities, so that's why I trade or auction away the rest. Honestly, since I lost my job last year, it has really helped keep us afloat.

VivaciousJewelz
02-09-2011, 06:41:53 AM
I am lucky because I find alot of great non inserts here. Oh how I wish I they still put out the good NBPR rebates!:whistle67:

I am also lucky in that I have a large stockpile (I have been couponing for 5 years now this month) so most of the coupons I get (even the FREEs) I really don't need for myself. I do use alot of what I get, just not in really large quantities, so that's why I trade or auction away the rest. Honestly, since I lost my job last year, it has really helped keep us afloat.

Thanks for sharing! I know it helps living somewhere where non-inserts are available. I get lucky every once in awhile- like with the Safeway booklet, and then last year w/ the $1/1 McCormick q's and a few rebates, so there were about 3 or 4 months where finding non-inserts paid for my trades, so I can see how that would help on a larger scale. I need to keep contacting companies, though, so I can have a big freebie auction, too! That would probably pay for my trades for a year!

MoneySavinDiva
02-09-2011, 01:40:20 PM
Added $68 today :smile:

amylynne01
02-10-2011, 09:46:16 AM
Added 31.05 for a grand total of 1720.47!

Zwella Ingrid
02-10-2011, 09:50:38 AM
I added $100 on Monday, to bring me up to $400 for the year. I hesitated to post it, as I know I'm going to have to take some money out, at least temporarily, but for now, it is an accurate number.

momof2inohio
02-10-2011, 09:58:05 AM
I am so behind on this. Hopefully will have something to report later today after I balance the checkbook and pay bills. We have had so many unexpected expenses come up this past month. Both our washer and dryer went out so had to buy both of those. We have had several plumbing leaks and other repairs. In two weeks we are going to Florida so we have saved money for that. DD's b-day party is this saturday so money went to that. Hopefully we are done with unexpected expenses for a while.

jenrose
02-10-2011, 10:05:01 AM
I will likely not be transfering any over on the next payday since I need to order new glases. I'm currently wearing my spares and they are giving me a headache. My regular glasses broke last weekend. So new glasses it is!

ioncewasamjskeptic
02-11-2011, 03:12:47 AM
I fell behind, 6.00 pinecone, 5.00 opinion outpost, 1.09 paypal cr from ebay, and thats all for now i think, I just cant wait til next month(6-8wk) when I get to post my sweepland sweepstake I won!!!hehe

jenrose
02-11-2011, 08:45:05 AM
I fell behind, 6.00 pinecone, 5.00 opinion outpost, 1.09 paypal cr from ebay, and thats all for now i think, I just cant wait til next month(6-8wk) when I get to post my sweepland sweepstake I won!!!hehe

I just noticed you were in Washington. Hi neighbor. :wavehi:

actvmom
02-11-2011, 12:13:57 PM
I still have a little over $20k to go to make my goal....UGH! I don't think I'm gonna make it this year. :(

justmama
02-11-2011, 12:36:54 PM
Was able to add a big chunk to our savings. Received a refund of $20 of the drs office from where we were overcharged 2 $10 co-pays.

hillaryef
02-12-2011, 09:02:16 PM
Well...we added $3 in rebates and our $150.02 in savings from paycheck!! bringing the total to $839.08 (I think...Julie you should check my math!! LOL)

SouthernBelle5
02-14-2011, 03:02:02 PM
$14.04 added from rebate. Brings me to 1616.26.

Zwella Ingrid
02-15-2011, 09:36:40 AM
I'm depressed to report I had to take $100 out of savings, and I might have to take more before the week is out. I'm back to having $300. I have already updated my siggy.

amylynne01
02-15-2011, 12:50:43 PM
Aded 68.00 from cc rewards and rebates. Total is 1788.47!

to1drland
02-16-2011, 08:53:46 AM
added another $100 to savings today, puts me @ $1000.00 so far!

VivaciousJewelz
02-16-2011, 09:20:57 AM
Well...we added $3 in rebates and our $150.02 in savings from paycheck!! bringing the total to $839.08 (I think...Julie you should check my math!! LOL)

Lol, I doubt I'm any better at math than you! :giggle2:

Updated the OP. It's been a crazy week, so I'll probably have to empty the little I've saved for some unexpected expenses. We'll see, though. Glad to see so many people saving! :biggrin:

MoneySavinDiva
02-19-2011, 06:42:32 PM
Was able to add $526.54 this week :dance7:

jenrose
02-19-2011, 09:01:49 PM

That's a big add! Great Job MSD!!

puakinikini
02-19-2011, 09:55:52 PM
I am up to $1250. Sorry I haven't checked in regularly. I am still working toward my goal though.

rdot
02-20-2011, 08:29:04 PM
Finally! I am getting the rebates in from the end of December so please add 51.99 to my total making it 161.99/1200.

I have spent all weekend working on getting items together for a consignment sale this weekend. Please send some good moneymaking vibes my way :)

MoneySavinDiva
02-24-2011, 05:51:49 AM
I added $142 yesterday

cjpsmom
02-24-2011, 02:22:30 PM
Need to get busy with this challenge....change basket running over....

rdot
02-24-2011, 02:48:58 PM
Got another rebate in the mail. New total is 166.99/1200.

amylynne01
02-25-2011, 06:02:43 AM
Got my tax refund today!! Paid off the balance on my cc of $3727.28.:BigHand: Will have to pay a little next month because we used the cc once this month and any interest there will be, but after that, no more cc. Doing the happy dance here.:dance7:

VivaciousJewelz
02-25-2011, 07:37:40 AM
I am up to $1250. Sorry I haven't checked in regularly. I am still working toward my goal though.

Yay! Glad to see ya! :smile:

Awesome! :BigHand:

Need to get busy with this challenge....change basket running over....

:giggle2: Do you take it to Coinstar or something, or do you roll your own change?

Got my tax refund today!! Paid off the balance on my cc of $3727.28.:BigHand: Will have to pay a little next month because we used the cc once this month and any interest there will be, but after that, no more cc. Doing the happy dance here.:dance7:

That is really great! :BigHand:

Me, I'm back to $0. I had several emergencies hit me all at once, which is collectively costing me a lot of money. :sad3: However, hopefully by next month I'll be back on the savings wagon. :biggrin:

justmama
02-25-2011, 09:55:19 AM
Sorry i haven't been checking in. The last month has been crazy!!! We have done so much. But i am happy to report that as of 10am this morning. I transferred money to our savings. We met our goal plus $47.00. Out of the savings we'll have about $1000 in 'summer' expenses to pay, pool dues, season passes to theme parks etc.

dliver316
02-25-2011, 01:06:02 PM
I forgot to post the last two times we deposited..

We added $200 to savings and $56 in survey checks to make a total of:

$887 goal $5000

actvmom
02-25-2011, 02:02:20 PM
I'm at about 75% of my goal, thank God!!!!!

gatosqueak
02-25-2011, 03:27:40 PM
Grumble... down to $1200 from $1500. Stupid tax.