PDA

View Full Version : Back by popular demand! 2011 in 2011 decluttering challenge!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

tonyarn
12-21-2010, 08:57:39 AM
OK, ladies...here it is! This is the official 2011 in 2011 decluttering challenge thread. We're going to purge our houses and lives of 2011 bits of clutter ("STUFF"...something that undermines family fun) in 2011. If that sounds overwhelming to you, don't worry. It's right about 40 items per week. You can do this! Just make this challenge work for you, let it be what you need it to be! You can count individual items or piles of items, pounds of clutter, bags of clutter, boxes of clutter. Or you can count minutes or hours or heck, even seconds if you're naturally organized (but then you probably wouldn't be here, right?) You can count what you throw away, give away, sell, recycle, return to its rightful owner, etc.

List your goals in this thread (along with pictures...we like pictures!!!), we'll post some mini challenges along the way (we need to do this this year, we kind of slacked last year), and we'll cheer one another on as we post our progress or lack of it. Don't forget to post your progress (with pictures) along the way. You can do this!!!

mom2lucas
12-21-2010, 10:10:00 AM
I am so in! We're definitely in need of decluttering here! I plan to declutter my game room, the play room, and my closet.

jenrose
12-21-2010, 11:39:17 AM
List your goals in this thread (along with pictures...we like pictures!!!), we'll post some mini challenges along the way (we need to do this this year, we kind of slacked last year), and we'll cheer one another on as we post our progress or lack of it. Don't forget to post your progress (with pictures) along the way. You can do this!!!

:whistle67:

sbp
12-21-2010, 12:09:16 PM
I completely slacked last year.... but I'm back to try again.

This year I'm going to to go for 2011 minutes of decluttering, rounding it up and breaking it down into 6 minutes per day or 42 minutes for the week.

My worst problem areas are my bedroom closet and the basement. Oh, and my desk area.

queenofthehivemomof5
12-21-2010, 12:16:18 PM
I will give it a go. I don't have any major areas of clutter however I need to stay on top of it and maybe this will give me some motivation. A few areas that need some work here pretty soon...piles of clothes the kids have outgrown on the back of my washing machine. I need to go through them and give the boys clothes to some relatives and the girls clothes to the consignment store.

I would like to organize the area under the stairs in the basement where we store painting supplies, crafts and seasonal clothing.

And then once the weather warms up...MUST get rid of storage unit! No need to be paying $40 a month to store stuff. It worked for us when we had a smaller place but I cannot use that excuse anymore now that we have been in the new house over a year. LOL

pkchicken
12-21-2010, 01:32:15 PM
Please count me in.
I need to purge books and clothes. Probably other stuff too.

pk

uncommon
12-21-2010, 01:39:30 PM
Ooh I'll play. When my brother moved out we converted the extra bedroom into an office. Theoretically. What it has become is a room full of laundry baskets, papers, my desk, and miscellaneous other crap we have no space for.

It's bad.

cecaic0609
12-21-2010, 10:54:02 PM
Im in! I have to declutter this whole apartment. We have too many things stuffed in here that we don't have room for.

roxygirlie1021
12-22-2010, 06:30:53 AM
Oooh, I'm in! DH and I were actually just talking about how we want to get rid of some of the clutter in our house! :)

froggie3
12-22-2010, 06:56:53 AM
I'm in....we need to declutter....we have too much stuff, and I don't want to move it all when we find a new place this year. We have kids clothes they have outgrown, toys they don't play with, stuff my DH just can't "bear to get rid of", clothes in our closet we haven't worn in year, papers everywhere, kitchen stuff that I don't use (but want to replace with stuff I will use :whistle67:).

My goal is 2011 things getting trashed, sold, donated....maybe I can manage more, but this sounds like a great place to start on getting our house to a managable amount of stuff.

XUfan
12-22-2010, 07:08:33 AM
Count me in! I'm going to count minutes instead of items. I know I can devote 40 minutes per week to decluttering! Like Heidi, I don't have any big areas that need work...but if I don't stay on top of it, I will!! My husband's areas (the garage and shed) will probably get some major attention in the spring, when it's warm enough to go out there and really do a good job. Can I count his hours???

uncommon
12-22-2010, 08:24:16 AM
I think minutes is a great idea - I used to try to follow the Fly Lady program where you toss a certain number of items and that worked well. I just have such a small amount of time that it feels unmanageable but I know it's not.

greenfrog57
12-22-2010, 08:30:08 AM
I am committing myself to minutes. I like Lesley's breakdown of 6 minutes a day or 42 minutes a week--- I need to declutter the garage bigtime! Also, the closets and kid rooms.

mom2lucas
12-22-2010, 10:18:22 AM
I think I'll do minutes too, instead of items. I don't know how many items I have to part with, so minutes seems more manageable/

bugweena
12-22-2010, 10:39:57 AM
I need to declutter the house, garage, basement, and storage shed! And I am getting a head start on 2011 by starting tomorrow! Good luck, everyone. Everytime I watch those tv shows about hoarding I feel the need to get rid of stuff!

mom2lucas
12-22-2010, 01:09:09 PM
Someone mentioned FlyLady, so I had to Google it. I just shined my sink! I do feel better already.

leqet
12-22-2010, 01:36:21 PM
I'm in. I have already cleaned out my closet this month and donated a ton of clothes. I think I will count boxes of stuff/bags of trash because if I have to count how many items I'm getting rid of it will take me three times as long to do the task. I'm going to shoot for 3 boxes/bags per month. That give me a little leeway to be lazy/sick/too busy for at least one week out of the month and every other week I can declutter an area.

leqet
12-22-2010, 01:38:44 PM
I've tried fly lady several times. I like the concept of focusing on zones to declutter, but the e-mails annoy me so I don't get them. I also can't stand how she makes a connection between depression and clutter. When I tried to quit the e-mails the first time she wrote me back and said something along the lines of "Are you sure you want to be depressed?" As if I was doomed to hate myself forever for dropping her e-mails (most of which are just trying to sell you something from her site). :rolleyes24: Sorry to those that love her. I just couldn't get past the feeling that she was just out to get my money and using emotional ploys to do so. I do follow her on facebook, so I guess I'm a bit of hypocrit in this matter. :whistle67: maybe this group can help me see the light. :giggle2:

tonyarn
12-22-2010, 05:01:41 PM
I took what I liked from Flylady (control journal) and left the rest...she moves too slow for me. When I start a project, I want it finished...this 15 minutes here and 15 minutes there thing just doesn't work for me. And dressing to lace up shoes? Forget it!!!

leqet
12-22-2010, 06:31:08 PM
I took what I liked from Flylady (control journal) and left the rest...she moves too slow for me. When I start a project, I want it finished...this 15 minutes here and 15 minutes there thing just doesn't work for me. And dressing to lace up shoes? Forget it!!!

Oh yeah the shoes thing bugged me too. I don't wear shoes inside and I'm the type of person that would go barefoot year round if I could. I don't even like socks on my feet unless it's below freezing! Plus I agree with you on the 15 minutes thing. I prefer to clean/declutter in larger chunks of time. I will usually read through all of the missions/tasks for one room for the entire week and do it in one day. Once I get started I can't stop, plus I have an order I need to clean in that makes sense to me. For example I can't vacuum and then dust the next day. Doesn't make sense to me. I have to start up high, dust/pick up things working around the room clockwise and top to bottom. Vacuuming last. That whole, just vacuum the middle of the floor thing for the "weekly home blessing" without moving anything, that doesn't work for me. It would leave me more frustrated that I didn't do the whole job. Hmm...Perhaps I'm a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning. :giggle2:

tbbucs03
12-22-2010, 11:01:23 PM
Count me in also. I don't think the minutes would work for me as 6 minutes a day isn't alot. I will go with 2011 items starting with the closets. If it hasn't been worn for a year,it's going bye bye. Donate what I can and toss the rest.

DebK1013
12-23-2010, 06:13:48 AM
I'm in too. I call it "decrapping" in my house! LOL I haven't decided if I will do items or minutes yet.

greenfrog57
12-23-2010, 09:39:51 AM
DH came home yesterday in a sour mood and gave me an ultimatum (though he denies that's what it is). He said by his bday (October), if the garage isn't cleaned up (1/3 to 1/2 is his mess too), he'll be uhauling it away. I told him to do what he needs to do.... So, I need to clean stockpile, coupons, kids extra activities (puzzles, legos, crafts, ...) so that it is organized. I'm thinking all my minutes will start to add up super quick in January. I already started yesterday but won't count the minutes til 2011. Thanks for reading.

BTW, we have 120 linear feet or so of 18" shelving DH and a friend put up several years ago when they got the shelves from a going out of business boot store and we can fit 2 cars in the garage every night. I know it's not that bad.....

XUfan
12-23-2010, 10:05:23 AM
Count me in also. I don't think the minutes would work for me as 6 minutes a day isn't alot. I will go with 2011 items starting with the closets. If it hasn't been worn for a year,it's going bye bye. Donate what I can and toss the rest.

I thought that 6 minutes a day didn't sound like much too, but I also know that some days I don't even have that much time to devote to it. So...since it's 40-45 minutes/week, I figured if I only found time for it once a week, and gave it close to an hour, I'd be doing good!

mom2lucas
12-23-2010, 10:43:47 AM
Anyone use a swapping service to get rid of their kids stuff? I've looked into zwaggle and thredup, but I can't decide if I actually want to do it. I use some of the book swapping sites, but I dunno about the kids stuff.

tonyarn
12-23-2010, 02:51:08 PM
I signed up for thredup, but haven't done anything with it yet.

DebK1013
12-23-2010, 03:04:42 PM
I do a gathering with some old co-workers and I bring with me a bag of items I no longers use. I offer them to everyone and I walk out with an empty bag. Win win for all!

XUfan
12-24-2010, 04:33:21 AM
Anyone use a swapping service to get rid of their kids stuff? I've looked into zwaggle and thredup, but I can't decide if I actually want to do it. I use some of the book swapping sites, but I dunno about the kids stuff.

I'll probably use Freecycle to get rid of things I don't think I would be able to sell if we have a yard sale. Also, some of the people from our local Freecycle site started another site called, Cheapcycle. It's like a mini-craigslist. It's local, and you can sell items on it. As for the books, I'll take mine to Half Price Books. They give cash or credit toward anything in the store. Since the goal is to de-clutter, I'll only buy something if it's going to be a gift!!

And anything that doesn't find a home with those methods, will go to Goodwill.

tonyarn
12-24-2010, 06:13:12 AM
I sell A LOT of stuff on Craigslist throughout the year.

mom2lucas
12-24-2010, 07:40:25 AM
I was thinking of swapping the old clothes for new size-appropriate clothes since I'd have to buy new clothes anyway and would be getting rid of the old ones in the process. We always do a consignment sale in the Spring and the Fall, but that's not til April! I've got 5 totes of outgrown clothes in my basement taking up space.

greenfrog57
12-24-2010, 08:34:09 AM
My gf has used threadup but it didn't appeal to me. She was disappointed in the boxes she got -- even "golden" ones. SO, I am not going to spend the postage on that. My MOMS Club has a big clothing swap planned for January. Even if I leave with nothing, I know my kids' clothes will be put to good use. I used to just past my kiddo clothes to friends, after I got sick of holding onto them for yard sales. Besides, when ds was the only kid, everyone seemed to buy him tons of clothes. Not so much anymore. The outfits that mean the most to me -- dd's flower girl dresses, ds's soccer uniforms, ... I just keep in their closets. They make me happy when I see them. I don't consider those things clutter. My mom held onto the velvet burgundy dresses my sis & I wore in a wedding when I was 5. I wonder if she finally gave them away. LOL

musbeus
12-25-2010, 07:30:37 PM
Count me in. I can manage 42 minutes a week.

rbunnymom
12-25-2010, 10:12:22 PM
Count me in. I will do 40 minutes a week.

Sally C
12-26-2010, 05:29:47 AM
I'd LOVE to join but I'm worried that after an initial burst of motivation, I'll lose sight of what exactly I'm trying to accomplish and why. Would it be possible as each participant "checks in" that they mention briefly how their life or family life or home has benefitted by the decluttering? Decluttering for the sake of a better life can give me the motivation I need. Decluttering just for space isn't going to last me past January.

greenfrog57
12-26-2010, 10:00:18 AM
I'd LOVE to join but I'm worried that after an initial burst of motivation, I'll lose sight of what exactly I'm trying to accomplish and why. Would it be possible as each participant "checks in" that they mention briefly how their life or family life or home has benefitted by the decluttering? Decluttering for the sake of a better life can give me the motivation I need. Decluttering just for space isn't going to last me past January.

I'm hoping decluttering will bring me a sense of sanity and DH will be happier to look at less stuff as he gets in and out of his car. Thus, we'll be closer and happier with each other. We will be celebrating our 10 yr wedding anniversary at the end of March and I'd like to be well on my way to a simpler (less stuff) life by then.

VivaciousJewelz
12-26-2010, 10:04:50 AM
I'm committed to 30 minutes a week!

XUfan
12-26-2010, 10:15:35 AM

I can totally relate! I have started alot of things, and not kept up with them, after losing the intial spark of motivation. That's why I'm not setting yearly goals this year. I'm setting monthly goals. I'm figuring on 45 minutes per week of decluttering...so my goal for January is 3 hours. I'm not worrying about Feb-Dec yet!

When I told my husband that I was doing this, he was shocked!! If you walked into my house, you'd probably ask me what in the world I was going to declutter! I like my house to be neat and tidy all the time, so it totally baffled him!! So I mentioned the closets that have stuff in them that we'll never wear....the drawers that have unmatched socks that we'll never find the match to...the big box of unfiled papers that is now TWO boxes!!!...the gadgets in the kitchen drawers that we never use, and probably never will...the puzzles in the spare room that are missing pieces, or they've been worked so many times that nobody wants to do them anymore...and the list goes on!! We can get rid of alot of things, and donate them to people who can use them!

So, I'm not really doing it for space, or to clean my house, or to make my husband happy. I'm doing it because I like order!!! And if I get those things done, I'll have it!

kimandkathess
12-27-2010, 05:17:49 PM
I am in. I will commit to 2011 ITEMS in 2011 though. I need to have a HUGE yardsale in the spring to add a room, well more like finish off a room. so we need to sell a lot to get enough money to finish the room. So, i might not post a lot "declutter" until closer to spring time. But i am in!

everprincess
12-27-2010, 05:30:31 PM
I'm in and have already started to dejunk alot of things today. 2011 items in 2011 will be easy for us. Big yard sale planned for the spring.

MoneySavinDiva
12-27-2010, 06:01:07 PM
I'm in :smile: I got rid of 16 things today already :BigHand:

farmergirl
12-27-2010, 06:04:13 PM
I would love to join!!! We went from a giant 3 story farmhouse (almost 3000 sq ft)and garage to a teeny tiny home (under 700 sqft). I am the plastic tote queen!! I am committing to 2011 items. Hopefully this will keep me motivated!

pkchicken
12-27-2010, 06:23:35 PM
I am so excited!

My friend is having a fund raiser penny party for her sons trip to europe.
They need 7,000$

I have so much 'stuff' to contribute!
Only problem is I have 'storage tetris' going on!!!

My kids are on board! So is DH (wow)

where to put it all 'til february?

So I have alot of strategic thinking to do! Yeah and alot of muscle work.

pk

jenrose
12-27-2010, 08:12:05 PM
MSD there you go being an over acheiver again. :hysterical:

MoneySavinDiva
12-27-2010, 08:18:57 PM
MSD there you go being an over acheiver again. :hysterical:

:hysterical:

everprincess
12-27-2010, 08:31:00 PM
Okay I'm watching Hoarders=total motivation!!!!

tonyarn
12-27-2010, 08:50:50 PM
MoneySavinDiva, don't you just live up the road 30 minutes or so from me? I keep "colliding" with you in several threads lately. LOL! Anyway, join on in!

Everprincess, I have only watched that show a handful of times. I don't know how some of them live like they do!

I had my basement pretty clean the other day (except the project area that I am going to work on for 2011) and I took a little video to post on here...I need to get that up. Unfortunately, my basement has been overrun by Thomas the Train again since Christmas just passed.

everprincess
12-27-2010, 08:56:26 PM
MoneySavinDiva, don't you just live up the road 30 minutes or so from me? I keep "colliding" with you in several threads lately. LOL! Anyway, join on in!

Everprincess, I have only watched that show a handful of times. I don't know how some of them live like they do!

I had my basement pretty clean the other day (except the project area that I am going to work on for 2011) and I took a little video to post on here...I need to get that up. Unfortunately, my basement has been overrun by Thomas the Train again since Christmas just passed.

It's just awful I tell you. But the more I watch the more I know that we have to get some of this stuff out. Now today I got a old endtable gone, several broken toys gone and all the Christmas stuff sorted and put away. Tommorrow I finish the living room and then it's on to the junk room which needs the most work. One room at a time until it's all sorted and tossed, donated or sold.

MoneySavinDiva
12-27-2010, 11:25:07 PM

I do! :smile: And I also have noticed that we've been running into each other a lot more around here! :giggle2:

DebK1013
12-28-2010, 05:38:38 AM
I noticed when I took down the christmas storage bins on Sunday that I need to organize my attic. All the bins up there are not clear (so I can see inside) so my goal is to go thru them and organzie and label. They are all scattered around and need to be cleaned up. That is on my to do list. I am sure there are items up there that can be donated, given away or thrown out.

sbp
12-28-2010, 06:28:01 AM
Yesterday afternoon, after I got caught up on folding and putting away all of the clean laundry, I decided to go through my dresser, drawer by drawer. I added more to the giveaway pile and put quite a few ratty looking teeshirts into the trash pile. I also pulled out all of the bluejeans that I currently do not fit into, which filled an entire tote. That tote is going down in the basement and I'm giving myself the goal that if I do not fit in them by my birthday in July, then they too will all be donated.

I've got one more laundry basket of miscellaneous stuff (fabric for projects that I was going to do and never got around to, sweatshirts that probably are too small for the kids now, baby blankets, etc. in the corner of the bedroom that I've been ignoring but I'm going to go through it today.

Thursday dh has the day off from work, so I'm going to enlist his help in rearranging the furniture in our bedroom.

turtlegirl115
12-28-2010, 09:13:33 AM
I'm in and I've already started! :BigHand:My DH has been complaining about the clutter for a while now. The other night I said something about getting organized in 2011 and he laughed and said something like "yeah right, as if that will ever happen!". Totally made me mad...best way to motivate me is to tell me I can't/won't do it. :nono9: Turns out, he knew exactly what he was doing! LOL So anyway I stayed up that night until 5am and organized our spare room. I sell on Ebay and that's where I keep all my "inventory" but unfortunately it had begun taking over the house (living room, kitchen table, etc). So after that I started looking around for other areas that needed to be organized and took pics. I was honestly shocked. How was I living here and honestly did not realize how cluttered EVERY space in this house is?! Complete and utter chaos! In fact I'm so embarrassed about the pics that I won't post them until there is an "after" pic to go with it. :whistle67:

I'm not sure what my time/number of items goal is quite yet. I'll have to think on that one. I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person so I don't think a few minutes here or there is going to be enough progress to motivate me.

Areas that need work (pretty much everywhere but it will help to have a list to checkoff):
Spare room (still needs a little work - closet/stockpile shelves, desk area)
Laundry area
Kitchen (pantry, desk area/medicine/cookbook cabinet,tupperware cabinet, top of fridge)
Living room (TOYS!!!, coat closet)
Master bedroom (closet, maternity clothes piled up in the corner, clean out dresser drawers)
DD's bedroom (closet and bookcase)
Linen closet

Whew! I'm tired just thinking about it! LOL

So I started googling tips about becoming organized and I found that there is actually an Unclutterers Anonymous group complete with 12 steps and support groups! :shock2: I had no idea!

I have several websites I've found that offer tips for organization and decluttering. I haven't been to HCW in a while though so I need to go find the rules about posting links before I do that. :wink7:

I'm on the lookout for cheap storage bins and other storage options so please post if you find any. TIA!

I'm motivated by quotes so here are a few I will share:

It all depends on whether you have things, or they have you.
-Robert A. Cook

You can’t have everything, where would you put it?
-Steven Wright

The only way around is through.
-Robert Frost

The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.
-William Faulkner

Not what I have, but what I do is my kingdom
-Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881 Scottish Author)

Every accomplishment begins with a decision to try.
-Edward T. Kelly

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over again, expecting a different result.
-Albert Einstein

Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put
that passing time to the best possible use.
-Earl Nightingale

tonyarn
12-28-2010, 09:30:31 AM
I found some of those little shoebox size containers with lids for 97c at Wal-Mart the other day. I bought 5, but may need to go back for more.

XUfan
12-28-2010, 09:47:22 AM
I found some of those little shoebox size containers with lids for 97c at Wal-Mart the other day. I bought 5, but may need to go back for more.

I use those in the hall closet near the bathroom. They stack nicely! I have 9 of them, and each one has a tag on the end, saying what's inside. Toothpaste, Deodorant, Contact Lens Solution, Lotions, Headache & Pain, Cough & Cold, Vitamins, Bandaids, and Razors.

kimandkathess
12-28-2010, 10:52:39 AM
I use those containers as well. I need to organize and price the stuff i want to sell. There are so many things I can get rid of. I am hoping to do a lot of different tables. Like .99c or less, $1, stockpile table and then just different areas for clothes, housewares and such.

tonyarn
12-28-2010, 01:16:44 PM
I *ALMOST* have my house back together from Christmas...yippee! My 17 year old DD is doing the basement...bless her heart.

XUfan
12-28-2010, 01:26:39 PM
I thought I'd have the decorations down by now, but I just can't get motivated. I think I worked myself to a frazzle over the weekend...and my body is begging for rest!!

After the decorations are down and stored back up the attic, my first area to tackle is the filing cabinet...and the two big boxes of stuff that needs to be filed, shredded or recycled!! I'll probably be able to knock off a couple of hours worth of time just on that project!!!

cody82414
12-28-2010, 05:15:59 PM
Keep a bag for donations and a garbage can by the dryer. If something comes through the wash that is too small toss it in the bag. The clothing donated is in good repair and clean.

Turn you clothing hangers backward and turn them the right way when you wear the clothing item. Any clothes that are left with the clothes hanger still backwards in the closet after a season/year gets donated.

After grocery shopping I go through the crispers and toss any uneusable produce. Anything worthy of keeping gets put into the left side crisper. Any new produce stays in the right. You eat out of the left first.

Cull the paper herd at the door. Reduce and recycle or trash almost immediately. Don't toss mail aside "to go through later." Spend the 60 seconds or less to go through it the moment it comes into your house. Go paperless when possible. Put small "wall pocket" type sorter organizers on the inside of a closet door or similar space. Use it for short-term storage of bills, papers you need to refer to soon, etc. Resist the urge to have "pretty baskets" and "bins" for your paperwork. I call these "clutter magnets." Also known as Bermuda Triangles of Clutter. Paperwork tends to go in and never come out again.

I also keep an extra laundry basket in their closet for when they outgrow something but I need to put it in a bin for the next kid. This saves me from having to do a big drawer clean out. When the basket gets full or I have time, I sort the outgrown clothes into their size bins (which are kept in the closet in clear bins labeled by gender and size).

Wipe down the bathroom everyday when you get out of the shower. The steam helps loosen grime and the bathroom stays relatively clean. I deep clean it once a week, but it's much easier and faster now. I can clean the bathroom in five minutes or less now since I keep up with it everyday.

It's o.k. to throw away grocery bags.

Mesh bags for dirty socks. Saves sorting after laundering.

I clean my car out as I'm filling it up with gas. I also keep a dust cloth in the console and dust it while sitting at red lights.

I use the one in - one out rule.

I use the OHIO principle. Only Handle It Once.

We have a clear plastic bin for our gaming systems. Games and controllers go in the corresponding bin when finished. No more, "Mom, do you know where my game is?"

I have a clear plastic tote with dividers for my batteries. Now I can see when I'm running low on a particular size.

Books are kept together based on genre. Helps my husband when he is studying. Computer games are also organized this way in CD binders.

We also keep one set of sheets per bed. They get laundered and put back on the bed all in one day. I hate folding those things anyway.

Each person has their own laundry basket. Laundry is sorted out of the dryer. If I'm in a good mood, I'll fold it for them. Otherwise, they fold and put away. They are responsible for returning their basket to me. If they don't, their laundry doesn't get done until it is. If their laundry piles up, then they are responsible for doing it themselves. We have a laundry schedule at our house. If you miss the load, then you either do it yourself (after I'm done for the day) or you wait until the next scheduled time for that load.

sbp
12-29-2010, 09:03:32 PM
I'm definitely going to use Freecycle more this year than I have been.

In the past 2 days, I've posted 3 different offerings, and am arranging pickup right now for 1 of the things, but more importantly, I've replied to 2 different Wanted posts. A woman posted looking for pieces of a Platzgraf (sp?) dish set, that I happen to have down in the basement. The set was given to me over 2 years ago and it's still in the tissue paper and box that it was given to me in. Time to get rid of it. Another woman posted looking for boots and a winter jacket for her neighbor who hasn't had any luck finding any for her son at the thrift store.. I happen to have 2 pairs of boots and a coat that are all too small for my sons that will fit one of her sons. I'd just washed the jacket today because I was going to add it to my donation pile.

so woo hoo Freecycle!!

mom2lucas
12-29-2010, 09:43:10 PM
I'm definitely going to use Freecycle more this year than I have been.

I use Freecycle too! To get rid of stuff, not get more! The only time I tried to get something, my SIL beat me to it! :hysterical: Guess my kids really DID need those booster seats for Mamaw's house!!

I've got to get rid of some stuff soon. My tree is still up, staring at me and begging me to put it away, but today was too crazy to deal with it. I'm also going to be cleaning out the kids' rooms and getting rid of outgrown toys. Hope to do that by mid-week next week before DS's birthday party because I know what he's getting from everyone... LEGOs! And I know because everyone gave me the green light to pick them up at Walmart tonight on sale. Well, not everyone, just the grandparents and an aunt. :whistle67:

turtlegirl115
12-29-2010, 09:46:37 PM
Cody - Great info! Thanks! :BigHand:

I wish we had a more active Freecycle group in my area. I have to drive 45 min to an hour for most stuff which unless I'm already planning a trip there, defeats the purpose most of the time.

I have been sick for the past few days and home from work. But I managed to get some stuff done anyway anytime I had a spurt of energy. I went through all the toys. I have a bag going to the thrift store in the morning plus another bag and box to sell at the next kids consignment sale. I may go ahead and try Craigslist so I don't have it here taking up room for the next 3 weeks. I bought a 6 cube bookshelf and put that together today. Got rid of a ride on zebra and play yard and put the shelf in their place. Looks pretty good! SO much less clutter! I actually don't mind straightening up for the millionth time after DD goes to bed b/c it looks so neat. :biggrin:

Also completed my laundry area. I'm going to reward myself with vinyl wall lettering from Etsy that says "I'm thankful for piles of laundry...it means my blessings are nearby" . Still need to get DH to install an iron holder on the wall and I'm going to hang a colorful sock to hold dryer lint as that always tends to pile up and make a mess.

Started on my medicine/cookbook closet. Threw away a TON of outdated meds. I know the trashmen are probably going to be wondering about me! LOL Added DD's playdough/markers/etc to that cabinet for easy access since she always uses it in the kitchen. Have a small bin for my daily meds, DH's daily meds and DD's meds. Also created a bin for pet meds/fleat treatments/brushes/etc. No more searching for such and such! :BigHand: Still need to do the mail slots which are under that cabinet and I planned to take a short break and go back to it but I'm pooped. Will have to wait til tomorrow. I think I've done plenty for 2 days, especially since I'm sick.

Shelly527IN
12-30-2010, 12:35:41 AM
Okay I'm watching Hoarders=total motivation!!!!

I KNOW! It makes me what to take everything out and scub the entire house and then only put 1/2 back in!

I'm in for the challenge. In fact, I've already started tonight. DBF helped me get an old bed frame and two wooden boards out of the basement. I had stuff stored on them in the past, but no longer need them since I have totes. I also got rid of a lamp that I broke and a large box of expired inserts. I'll work on organizing..decluttering the basement tomorrow. I'll take before and after pictures. I've got so much junk in my house I could get rid of 1102 items, but 2011 will make a nice dent in it. I'm sure some of my critics (family) would say get rid of the stockpile would meet the 2011 challenge right there! NOT GONNA HAPPEN though! :hysterical:

Total: 5 so far

cdarrow26
12-30-2010, 05:54:42 AM
I am definitely in! I really need to do this! I joined last year, but really never tracked very well. I have SO much to get rid of. The de-cluttering starts this weekend! I have the next 4 days off. Pictures? Hmmm, I'd be afraid that TLC would show up with the Hoarders crew. Yeah...I've got a lot of work to do...not quite that bad, but, some rooms are pretty darn close...

ryansmommie
12-30-2010, 07:52:33 AM
I'm in and I'm going to try for 2011 items.

Michelle

tonyarn
12-30-2010, 07:59:29 AM
I am definitely in! I really need to do this! I joined last year, but really never tracked very well. I have SO much to get rid of. The de-cluttering starts this weekend! I have the next 4 days off. Pictures? Hmmm, I'd be afraid that TLC would show up with the Hoarders crew. Yeah...I've got a lot of work to do...not quite that bad, but, some rooms are pretty darn close...

Did you see my garage last year?

leqet
12-30-2010, 08:15:31 AM
Well it's not quite the new year, but I started out my challenge by organizing all my coupons and getting rid of the expiring ones that I knew I wouldn't use. Then I organized the ones that are expiring dec 31st into my binder and hit the store yesterday. This is the first time I have used my binder for almost a year! I had gotten so far behind on clipping I had given up on organizing them. I had quite a haul at the store and it was so EASY to find my coupons. I think I'm going to try to stick with organizing into the binder again this year. It feels so good to be caught up instead of finding coupons I wanted to use after they expired. :BigHand:

cody82414
12-30-2010, 08:52:14 AM
Well it's not quite the new year, but I started out my challenge by organizing all my coupons and getting rid of the expiring ones that I knew I wouldn't use. Then I organized the ones that are expiring dec 31st into my binder and hit the store yesterday. This is the first time I have used my binder for almost a year! I had gotten so far behind on clipping I had given up on organizing them. I had quite a haul at the store and it was so EASY to find my coupons. I think I'm going to try to stick with organizing into the binder again this year. It feels so good to be caught up instead of finding coupons I wanted to use after they expired. :BigHand:

Way to go!
Doesn't it feel GREAT!?!

MrsPinecone
12-30-2010, 09:02:30 AM
I'll give it a shot. I don't know if I will count individual items, but I need to get all of the debris from the move finished off. We moved in APRIL 2010.

I have a pile of boxes in the basement family room and one in the dining room. These are things that never should have been moved in the first place, since we haven't missed them. Some of the boxes were packed way back in April 2009 when we thought we'd sold the house, and it fell through.

I'd say that there are roughly 20-30 boxes, plus a rack of kid's clothing. That averages out to about one box every two weeks. I plan to deal with them by going through them, keeping and organizing what can be kept, and dealing with what's left. That may be pricing and boxing for a yard sale in the spring, selling on Craigslist, or donating through Freecycle or the Easter Seals or the SA. Donations will be listed and photographed for tax purposes.

I am not a pack rat, usually, so this stuff is really getting on my nerves.

ETA: One of the major things is getting the toys under control. We started by getting IKEA Expedit bookcases and a bunch of bins. The photo is before I got more bins, but it's a start. If the toys don't fit in or around the 2 sets of shelves in the playroom, they will go. I have already put a bunch of toys into yard sale boxes. The issue is that the kids keep taking them out!!! LOL

The other end of the playroom has another set of shelves for my craft and knitting things. I am going to stain a small desk that I got for $5 and that will be my sewing machine desk. It's going to be an awesome room once it's done.

gatosqueak
12-30-2010, 09:44:49 AM
Count me in! We need to get our place ready for adopting some kids if we get them this year.. and we have a lot of crap around! I have a pile of books ready to start this Saturday lol

Gatosqueak Declutter:
0-2011

mysunshine2004
12-30-2010, 10:30:56 AM
I am in, and hope to declutter and eliminate 2011 items for the year! I am going to try to take pictures too, so I stay motivated!

pkchicken
12-30-2010, 11:53:04 AM
I am so anxious to get started. But I gotta wait...
Our trash wasn't picked up this week due to the storm.
We have 4 trash cans and usually only use 1 or 2 so my goal is to fill all of them up every week with 'crap' (decrapify).

Donations to my friends penny party fund raiser will go in boxes in the outside trailor after I decrapify it.

I like this plan.

My DH mentioned that he was going to get rid of the trash in the barn. I never said a word about decrapifying, he brought this up on his own!
I'm shocked. Think he'll really do it?

pk

ryansmommie
12-30-2010, 01:04:08 PM
I started today with my magazine rack. 22 items in the recycle bin. Yipee!

Michelle

XUfan
12-30-2010, 01:20:53 PM
I started today with my magazine rack. 22 items in the recycle bin. Yipee!

Michelle

Good job!! I'm starting tomorrow before I take the Christmas decorations down. I'm sorting through, and tossing the broken ornaments (that nobody else tosses, but they all complain about every year!).

Shelly527IN
12-30-2010, 03:49:50 PM
Ok, I spent 2 1/2 hours in the basement today and it's starting to look better! I have 5 things bagged up for my brother, took 24 things to the thrift store, put about 15 things in the trash, PLUS 32 old VCR tapes/covers that I recorded movies on when I was in college. I figured that if I hadn't watched them in over 10 years, it wasn't gonna happen! Feels so good to get rid of stuff!!!

Previous: 5

Today: 76! :smile:

Total: 81....only 1930 to go!

JPoy85
12-30-2010, 03:57:24 PM
Im in!! Majorly! We have WAY too much stuff! Clothes, Toys, Junk, Papers, etc.

Some of it is me- I have no where to go with stuff so I shove it all one place and some is DH " Oh we need to save that" and then it just follows us wherever we move. I need to de-clutter enough to fit 3 dogs, 2 cats, 3 kids and 2 adults into a 2bd rm apartment. :hectic:

queenofthehivemomof5
12-30-2010, 04:00:52 PM
I am still just trying to get the Christmas presents put away...I got new Christmas dishes...not sure where to put them. They are beautiful but I don't have room in my kitchen for something that is only used once a year....

I may put them in the half kitchen downstairs but I that means I have to reorganize those cupboards first and put child locks on them....

cdarrow26
12-30-2010, 07:45:48 PM
I will be starting tomorrow. I am planning to count items, but, am trying to decide how to account for paper. I have a ton of paper clutter, but could get rid of 2000+ pieces and wouldn't make a dent in the rest. Any ideas? I would kind of like to keep a running tab somewhere too of everything I purge, but, as with everything, I will start it and then not follow through...yes, I have huge issues with follow through and procrastination. I am one of those "I'll just shove this in here for now until I have time to deal with it" and, of course, that time never comes.

Just a note about buying all kinds of storage tubs, etc. All of the cleaning/purging/organizing books I read say that most people's instinct once they decide to clean and organize is to run out to the store and buy all kinds of tubs, baskets and organizers, but that it is a huge waste of time and money, as most of them are never used as intended because they don't "fit the space." They recommend first that you purge all unwanted items and only then, after you have decided how you are going to use the space, take detailed measurements of what you have left to store and where it will be stored and THEN go shop for organizers. I am guilty of the plastic storage tub "organizing", running out and buying 10 tubs and then either not using them or just filling them with crap that is not used or looked at again for years.

One question? Can I count the leftover Christmas cookies that are going in the garbage tomorrow?! LOL:hysterical:

sbp
12-30-2010, 07:56:10 PM
Today dh assembled the shelving unit that he bought me for Christmas and I spent an hour or so getting my stockpile (such as it is!) organized.

My sons have a hoarding tendency to want to hold onto all of the boxes that their lego toys and trucks come in. I finally figured out a way to convince them that they do NOT need to keep empty boxes. I tell them they can either keep the box or they can keep the toy.... that they can only keep 1. lol

I listed some more things on Freecycle this morning and am working on arrangements for people to pick up an old stereo and my old rollerblades.

actvmom
12-30-2010, 08:13:25 PM
YAY!!! Glad this is up! I am totally in for 2011 items in 2011. I hope to do more, but I am aiming low so I can achieve more.

tonyarn
12-30-2010, 08:55:19 PM
I am another person with lots of paper clutter. I tend to count piles of paper. For example, all the paper I purge in one cleaning session is one item.

cody82414
12-30-2010, 08:59:37 PM
I have "decluttered" one bag of Chex Mix that I purchased earlier tonight from Walgreen's,
and am working on "decluttering" another.

Does that count?!?!? :biggrin:

tonyarn
12-30-2010, 09:06:17 PM
LOL! I don't think so...

actvmom
12-30-2010, 10:39:43 PM
I have "decluttered" one bag of Chex Mix that I purchased earlier tonight from Walgreen's,
and am working on "decluttering" another.

Does that count?!?!? :biggrin:

:hysterical::hysterical:Yea, I decluttered a couple of Krispy Kreme doughnuts tonight too.:hysterical::hysterical: Hey, I gotta get my final fattness up before I hit that weight loss thread with full force Saturday!:wink7:

gatosqueak
12-31-2010, 07:42:24 AM
I have books and now 2 bags of clothes ready tomorrow... Have to wait until we come back from spending new years day/eve with my MILx2 (MIL and her partner).

I am so ready!!! We have to take pics of our house as part of the adoption application.. At the moment, we could, but we would need to cram a bunch of crap into the closets... LOL!

Does the old paint and wood scraps and junk from the previous house owner count as decluttering? :P

brokenangel
12-31-2010, 07:48:54 AM
I would like to join please. I'm thinking 45 minutes a week for a total of 2340 in 2011. I need to declutter everywhere to be honest. every room has atleast 1 thing that needs to be gone.

SouthernBelle5
12-31-2010, 07:51:55 AM
I would like to join...I'm ambitious and going for items, not minutes.

mom2lucas
12-31-2010, 07:55:29 AM
I am ready to start tomorrow! My office space will be my starting point because i can't find anything in the mess that's down there!!

MrsPinecone
12-31-2010, 09:10:55 AM
Getting a jump start today.

Does the Little Tikes desk and chair count as one item or two? I have someone from CL coming to get it-- so decluttering AND earning ten bucks!!

sbp
12-31-2010, 09:17:59 AM

Does the Little Tikes desk and chair count as one item or two? I have someone from CL coming to get it-- so decluttering AND earning ten bucks!!

I'd count it as two, but that's just me! lol

I wish NH had a better breakdown by regions on CL - they lump the whole state together as one and it's a PITA!!

cody82414
12-31-2010, 09:39:25 AM

Nice! :BigHand:

froggie3
12-31-2010, 09:49:58 AM
Got rid of 19 things at Once Upon a Child yesterday......little declutter, little $$ for the pocket, I like that a lot.

DebK1013
12-31-2010, 09:53:49 AM
Ive decided I am going on number of items, not minutes too. Good luck and have fun everyone! I love to "decrapify" my house! I feel so much more in control!

queenofthehivemomof5
12-31-2010, 10:19:56 AM
I'd count it as two, but that's just me! lol

I wish NH had a better breakdown by regions on CL - they lump the whole state together as one and it's a PITA!!

They do that in Wyoming too. Although I think I will go ahead and post a high chair up that is taking up space in my dining room. I got it for visiting little ones (relatives that have small kids) but I think I may find one of those seats that strap onto the chair as it takes too much space.

I found a place to store my new dishes yesterday so ticking that off my list.

I am just going to take it one day at a time.

ryansmommie
12-31-2010, 11:17:40 AM
Took 12 items to Goodwill this morning. Boy was Goodwill busy!

Michelle

cdarrow26
12-31-2010, 12:22:49 PM
FAIL! I haven't even started yet, and I am failing!:hysterical:
I found out Walmart reduced their Christmas to 75% off this morning so I went shopping. I think I probably just brought about 400 more items INTO the house! UGH, so, maybe I should start at -400 and work my way from there...nothing like getting discouraged before I even start:sad3:

micouponmom
12-31-2010, 12:50:26 PM
I love this idea, count me in, I like the 6 minutes a day, the organized gene, seemed to bypassed me, It's amazing how people differ, for some it comes natural. wish, I had that gene.......old dogs can learn new tricks. =)

MrsPinecone
12-31-2010, 03:36:37 PM
OK, so I got rid of the desk, chair and sold a book on half.com.

I am starting the year at 2008 items. ( -3)

sbp
12-31-2010, 07:08:09 PM
I'm so excited - I did something today that I've been wanting to do for months!!!! I rearranged our bedroom, which meant a whole bunch of decluttering before I could move one piece of furniture. Now of course, that does not mean my bedroom closet is done, because sadly, that will probably be a week's project!!!

But more things made its way into the giveaway pile, some things went straight to the trash and the rest has found its way into it's proper place.

My bedroom looks awesome!!! :smile: Probably the best it's looked since the day we moved in!!!

actvmom
12-31-2010, 07:43:50 PM
FAIL! I haven't even started yet, and I am failing!:hysterical:
I found out Walmart reduced their Christmas to 75% off this morning so I went shopping. I think I probably just brought about 400 more items INTO the house! UGH, so, maybe I should start at -400 and work my way from there...nothing like getting discouraged before I even start:sad3:

Oh honey, don't get discouraged. I went and bought 9 skeins of yarn yesterday for 2 blankets (I've barely started the first one). We will all have our ups and downs on this challenge, but we can do it!!!!!

XUfan
01-01-2011, 07:32:31 AM
OK...day one! I might have already mentioned that my "decluttering" quest is more of a "reorganizing" quest. I don't have rooms full of stuff that need homes. I'm a neat-freak, and I tend to keep things fairly under control. So for my posts, you'll probably see some of the same things over and over this year.

Today, I pulled all of the stuff off the clips on the side of the fridge that we don't need anymore....Christmas lists, info about a school field trip, old work schedule...and the 2010 calendar! I put up the new calendar, and left empty clippies for the next items that will be hung up.

I also went through the "wrap drawer". It's the one with the ziploc bags, foil, plastic wrap. It was overstuffed, and wouldn't close right. So, I took everything out, and found that we had two boxes of quart size and two boxes of gallon size bags in there. I consolidated them into one box each, wiped out the drawer, and put everything back. It closes now!!!

Just those two things took about 10 minutes. So...I'm on the way!! Probably won't do more today...or tomorrow...since hubby's home for the weekend...but you never know!

leqet
01-01-2011, 08:46:25 AM
OK...day one! I might have already mentioned that my "decluttering" quest is more of a "reorganizing" quest. I don't have rooms full of stuff that need homes. I'm a neat-freak, and I tend to keep things fairly under control. So for my posts, you'll probably see some of the same things over and over this year.

Today, I pulled all of the stuff off the clips on the side of the fridge that we don't need anymore....Christmas lists, info about a school field trip, old work schedule...and the 2010 calendar! I put up the new calendar, and left empty clippies for the next items that will be hung up.

I also went through the "wrap drawer". It's the one with the ziploc bags, foil, plastic wrap. It was overstuffed, and wouldn't close right. So, I took everything out, and found that we had two boxes of quart size and two boxes of gallon size bags in there. I consolidated them into one box each, wiped out the drawer, and put everything back. It closes now!!!

Just those two things took about 10 minutes. So...I'm on the way!! Probably won't do more today...or tomorrow...since hubby's home for the weekend...but you never know!

Great job! keep up the good work! This is how I "declutter" too. I'm making it my goal to reorganize my pantry this week. Over the holidays things just got shoved in there haphazardly because I was in a hurry. Right now it seems like there is no room, but I know if I reorganize it again I will have plenty of space. I have an unpcoming Super Doubles sale to shop on the 5th so I need to make space. :wink7:

greenfrog57
01-01-2011, 09:10:13 AM
Ok-- I think I will be switching to items, but for now, I will keep track of items and minutes to put both into perspective for me. I just spent 12 minutes in the kitchen pantry and tossed 10 items. Trash included expired yeast packets and expired offers from the backs of boxes. I'm thinking the pantry is not the place to keep these offers.... :whistle67:I'll be finding more time today to declutter some more.

XUfan
01-01-2011, 09:12:58 AM
Well...guess what! I DID find some more time already today! Since my hubby was on a mission to beat whatever level of whatever game he was playing (we're old school, and finally got an original x-box for Christmas at a used game place)...I took the time to take down the tree, etc. I had the 15 year old help me...even though she really didn't want to!! LOL!! We emptied the totes and tossed out everything that was broken, first. Then we took it all down and boxed it up for next year. It took us 30 minutes to get it done. So...I've got a good start on my year!!

cody82414
01-01-2011, 09:20:35 AM
I finished putting Christmas away, and out went 12 items.

justmama
01-01-2011, 09:20:47 AM
I'm in for 2011 things. We just did a major overhaul of the boys rooms before Christmas. But our biggest issue is clothes!!! I'll start today, since i am cleaning out my closet.

I started last year and even made a sheet for everyone to mark off items as they tossed them, but as with a lot of things we all slowly slacked off. They also were counting regular trash, which bugged me.

I tried flylady, but got way overwhelmed. Now i do motivated moms, i love that she made and app for ipod, i can go back to a day and quickly catch up and i don't have to print a lot of pages.

Off to make out sheet for the fridge, i like to mark off as i toss.

cdarrow26
01-01-2011, 11:31:53 AM
3 items out

1. bag cans to return-in garage by car
2. bag bottles to return-in garage by car
3. Random crap from the top of the dryer-in trash

irishsaver
01-01-2011, 11:52:44 AM
Ok I think I can do about 35-40 minutes a week on decluttering... I have my closet that needs cluttering. My pantry is first on my list... stockpile needs thinning out.. some outdated stuff... was a good deal and now nobody eating it... I hate to waste but...

Plus since moving in a few years ago one or two areas got dumped on and I still haven't cleaned it up.... Great thread..

froggie3
01-01-2011, 11:54:24 AM
I threw out all the expired q's today in hopes of becoming organized with my coupons again. Only counting this as 1 item because I would have all 2011 if I counted each little q.

brokenangel
01-01-2011, 12:06:57 PM
I spent 30 minutes throwing out expired q's and working on decluttering my file cabinet. Got a phone call and lost my motivation so I'm going to shower and get a few things done.

cdarrow26
01-01-2011, 12:12:14 PM
3-6. Three Yankee Candle lids. I don't remember ever, in my life, putting the lid back on once I've started burning one and they just end up laying all over...out they went
7. Stack of expired coupon inserts. These went back to Feb '10-YIKES

Total out: 7

I'm also sorting some clothes and household items. I emailed the contact for a charity I like to work with to see what they can use and am just waiting to hear back when I can drop them off. Won't count them til I'm ready to take them.

angeleyeza
01-01-2011, 12:15:45 PM
im not in the challenge but to get my mind off things i bagged up 2 garbage bags of toys the kids dont play with anymore a total of 100 toys off to the salval they go for someone to play with.

frugalstafar
01-01-2011, 12:46:23 PM
I'm in- I'm going to shed some pounds and my house is too!!!

dja13
01-01-2011, 04:12:08 PM
I'm in also. I am working on cleaning up my coupon bag that exploded yesterday all over the living room floor. And of course I had to bring suitcases to start packing for vacation so I now have an even bigger mess.

We have a lot of purging to do. I will be working on it a little bit at a time. Count me in for 2011 items.

tbbucs03
01-01-2011, 04:56:16 PM
I'm off to a good start as I just emptied the hall closet. There was a bin buried in the bottom that had things in it I haven't went through in over 10 years. I filled a garbage bag with 47 different items. I then started on the clothes and filled another bag with 33 pieces of winter clothes that haven't been worn in a long time.
Total 80 items. 1931 to go. I think this challenge is going to really free up a lot of space for me.

cody82414
01-01-2011, 05:30:13 PM
3 more for me today
15 total

cdarrow26
01-01-2011, 06:17:44 PM
8. old ratty Xmas tin
9. half box of tissues in basement that the mice got into
10. one said offender mouse, dead in trap :hysterical: too bad there's probably a hundred more...

SouthernBelle5
01-01-2011, 08:16:03 PM
18 today for me

tonyarn
01-01-2011, 08:45:39 PM
I threw out all the expired q's today in hopes of becoming organized with my coupons again. Only counting this as 1 item because I would have all 2011 if I counted each little q.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post. I spent the WHOLE day getting my coupons in some semblance of order, and after purging the 12/31's, I probably could say I had decluttered 2011 items. LOL!

Anyway:

1. expired coupons-recycled
2. several hundred emails in my inbox-deleted

cdarrow26
01-01-2011, 08:49:27 PM
11. Bath poof-trash
12. Bar of soap I didn't like-trash

pkchicken
01-01-2011, 09:14:56 PM
Ok I think I can do about 35-40 minutes a week on decluttering... I have my closet that needs cluttering. My pantry is first on my list... stockpile needs thinning out.. some outdated stuff... was a good deal and now nobody eating it... I hate to waste but...

Plus since moving in a few years ago one or two areas got dumped on and I still haven't cleaned it up.... Great thread..

My chickens get my outdated stuff!!!!!

I spent 30 minutes throwing out expired q's and working on decluttering my file cabinet. Got a phone call and lost my motivation so I'm going to shower and get a few things done.

Yesterday I cleaned out all the 12/31's actually I left them at the 3 stores I went to. I hope somebody who could use them found them.

My first goal is to get rid of REAL junk. We have a outside trailor that somehow has accumulated all kinds of yardsale type stuff. But it's been out there so long that most of the stuff is no longer usable and it's quite disorganized.

I need that storage space now since a friend is having a fund raiser penny party soon and I want to help by giving her some gently used items that we don't need. I want to put these items out there but first I need to make room.

Then there's the attic....but that's after I make room in the trailor for whatever she can sell.

Anyway...I got rid of 5 black trash bags full of stuff and a ancient computer monitor. I am so excited! There are 3 more bags of junk ready to go out in the trash already!

I don't really know how to count the stuff. By item? wow I should be at 200 already.

I'm just so greatful for all the inspiration!!!

pk

actvmom
01-01-2011, 09:57:16 PM
My chickens get my outdated stuff!!!!!

Yesterday I cleaned out all the 12/31's actually I left them at the 3 stores I went to. I hope somebody who could use them found them.

My first goal is to get rid of REAL junk. We have a outside trailor that somehow has accumulated all kinds of yardsale type stuff. But it's been out there so long that most of the stuff is no longer usable and it's quite disorganized.

I need that storage space now since a friend is having a fund raiser penny party soon and I want to help by giving her some gently used items that we don't need. I want to put these items out there but first I need to make room.

Then there's the attic....but that's after I make room in the trailor for whatever she can sell.

Anyway...I got rid of 5 black trash bags full of stuff and a ancient computer monitor. I am so excited! There are 3 more bags of junk ready to go out in the trash already!

I don't really know how to count the stuff. By item? wow I should be at 200 already.

I'm just so greatful for all the inspiration!!!

pk

Hey pk!!!

You can count them however you want to. Last year I donated 42 garbage bags of clothes to the Goodwill. I just counted the bags, but you know if I would have counted the number of items, I probably would have made the 2010 items goal....hmmmm.....:wink7:

I haven't even started. I went out and bought things instead of trashing things today, it has become a tradition to do this on NYD.

Shelly527IN
01-02-2011, 12:38:03 AM
13 more things on the 1st! 94 now!

cody82414
01-02-2011, 06:58:24 AM
13 more things on the 1st! 94 now!

Dang!
You are rockin it!!:BigHand:

irishsaver
01-02-2011, 08:14:34 AM
I cleaned through some of my old coupon inserts this morning... Threw them out but didn't count them... feel good about that now to clean out the big drawer in my kitchen... yikes it is hard...
But it is a start thanks...

Lori63
01-02-2011, 08:42:41 AM
Okay, I couldn't decide, but I have decided I'm in. Do I need the box my hair dryer came in 2 years ago? The Christmas 2000 Good Housekeeping that has some neat ideas but that I haven't looked at in 10 years?
So, whether it be things going in the trash or to the recycling center or to the consignment shop, I'M IN.
I am up to 1 item gotten rid of:giggle2:

greenfrog57
01-02-2011, 10:39:19 AM
Ok-- I think I will be switching to items, but for now, I will keep track of items and minutes to put both into perspective for me. I just spent 12 minutes in the kitchen pantry and tossed 10 items. Trash included expired yeast packets and expired offers from the backs of boxes. I'm thinking the pantry is not the place to keep these offers.... :whistle67:I'll be finding more time today to declutter some more.
ok-- I decided to count items. Yesterday, I went through the pile on top of the washer and dryer and pulled out 18 items to donate or trash. Then, this morning, I went through my underwear :giggle2:drawer and pulled out 14 items to donate plus 3 items to trash. I went through expired coupons yesterday as well, but won't count that since I'm sure I'll bring that many coupons back in. :wink7:

42 items so far!

cdarrow26
01-02-2011, 11:10:34 AM
ok-- I decided to count items. Yesterday, I went through the pile on top of the washer and dryer and pulled out 18 items to donate or trash. Then, this morning, I went through my underwear :giggle2:drawer and pulled out 14 items to donate plus 3 items to trash. I went through expired coupons yesterday as well, but won't count that since I'm sure I'll bring that many coupons back in. :wink7:

42 items so far!

Ok, this is a serious question...where have you found that takes donated underwear? This is something I have been looking for for years! I'm not talking old, ratty undies, but I have TONS of nice, worn once or twice but not comfortable type undies that I can't bring myself to throw away but have NEVER found anyplace that takes them!

cdarrow26
01-02-2011, 11:20:31 AM
13, 14. Two old Xmas candleholders
15. Xmas candle
16. Old make up brush

cdarrow26
01-02-2011, 11:50:25 AM
7 more! 1 old comforter, 3 old bath rugs, 2 bottles laundry detergent, 1 bag dog food and treats, all in car to drop off at Humane Society tomorrow!

MrsPinecone
01-02-2011, 12:02:12 PM
I think that I am going to count piles of stuff as "one item". Clean out old makeup = 1 item, lose the pile of old mail on the counter = 1 item, that kind of thing.

Today's unloading = New in box baby gate that we never used, going to CL person. Getting $15 for something I paid $4 for in the first place.

pkchicken
01-02-2011, 12:11:08 PM
Whoo Hoo!!!
I am rockin' it!

I got out to the trailor and bagged up clothes and stuff that's not nice enough to sell or donate.

Something like 12 bags for the trash!!!!!

What fun!
I went thru everything and even found 3 pr good jeans for DS#1, he needs them. They must have been in that trailor since he was a kid! I wonder whos they were.

pk

Lucky1307
01-02-2011, 12:32:09 PM
I fell off this wagon last year but I am determined to do it this year. Working on clothes today to make room for the new items we got at Christmas.

momof2inohio
01-02-2011, 01:06:58 PM
I'll join in. I really want to declutter every room of our house. We will (hopefully) be moving soon to a new house so less stuff to move will be great!!! I am going to do one room at a time starting with the master bedroom closet.

momof2inohio
01-02-2011, 01:41:40 PM
Cleaned off top shelf in bedroom closet. Got rid of old cell phone and box it came in, 6 purses, and old wallet.

Shelly527IN
01-02-2011, 01:50:17 PM
Dang!
You are rockin it!!:BigHand:

Thanks! Today is the end of my Christmas break so I had to get a head start. Back to work at the elem. school tomorrow. I LOVE a challenge! This challenge is making me look around the house and try to FIND things to get rid of. My mother and I shared the house until her death in 7/08. It took me a year to start to part with her things. I've gotten rid of a lot of things (mine included), but still have a long way to go. I can't wait for a clutter free house!

cdarrow26
01-02-2011, 03:09:19 PM
24. Old nasty tote bag-trash
25. Pile of expired coupons-trash
26. Pile of Partylite paperwork, training materials from when I was a consultant (3+ years ago!)

froggie3
01-02-2011, 03:17:50 PM
Nothing got decluttered today....but on a good note the antibiotics are beating the sinus infection so I am starting to feel human again....back to decluttering tomorrow.

brokenangel
01-02-2011, 03:25:05 PM
I went through a stack of junk mail and recycled old newspapers for a total of 10 mins.

greenfrog57
01-02-2011, 03:33:20 PM
Ok, this is a serious question...where have you found that takes donated underwear? This is something I have been looking for for years! I'm not talking old, ratty undies, but I have TONS of nice, worn once or twice but not comfortable type undies that I can't bring myself to throw away but have NEVER found anyplace that takes them!

There are local thrift stores (ARC, Humane Society) that take them here -- the ones I have are worn once and the rest of the pack unworn.

greenfrog57
01-02-2011, 03:40:02 PM
I had to pull out my clothes hamper and a whole row of hanged clothes from the closet for dh to get to the attic access in my closet to change the heater filter. So, I took down 2 shirts to donate. Also, a lady finally came to get a bag from Freecycle with 2 shams + 1 dust ruffle. Also, went through the kids' bathroom cabinet and pulled out 5 things to trash (old medicine & separated lotions - ewww!). Then, I went to the kitchen junk drawer and pulled out 1 big stack of old papers, lists, school papers....

up to 53 items now!

sbp
01-02-2011, 03:42:30 PM
Yesterday and today, I definitely surpassed my daily minute goal as I made some progress on the expired coupons clutter around here. I've cut enough to fill a flat rate mailer box (generally 16-17 lbs) and am working on a 2nd box, and my recycle bins outside are pretty much full from all the coupon 'crumbs'.

jenrose
01-02-2011, 04:40:09 PM
I went thru the boys room today. I have a basket full of toys they no longer play with to get rid of. But I'm not counting them until they leave the house. I have a problem with pulling stuff out of their rooms then have them sit in a box for months. I really need to just take them to the donation bins. I have this problem with just giving stuff away for some reason. I have no problem giving it to friends or family but just taking them to donation is hard for some reason. I just need to do it!

irishsaver
01-02-2011, 04:50:41 PM
This morning DH and I were looking at the pantry and he said it is getting done today and after church he cleaned it out.. Yeah !!! DD helped a little and I was down in the basement throwing out old Christmas bags etc.. Then we had to go to a wake. We are being kept very busy.

MoneySavinDiva
01-02-2011, 06:13:52 PM
14 items gone :smile: Makes it 29 total!

MrsPinecone
01-02-2011, 06:17:47 PM
#5 = collecting and entering a bunch of Huggies codes.

I was annoyed to discover that quite a few had expired TWO DAYS AGO. Serves me right for being too lazy to enter them.

sweetsurrender
01-02-2011, 08:50:40 PM
I'm glad I found this thread. I'm in. I haven't figured out if it will be minutes or items, I'm leaning towards items but I think 2011 is too low for what needs to leave the house. :biggrin:

I definitely need something to keep me accountable. I have a few hot spots in the house and they have gotten bad. It's like you don't see it after a while, it's just part of the scenery.

tonyarn
01-02-2011, 09:33:44 PM
I put away Christmas today. Unfortunately, I didn't throw much away as I've gone thru those boxes before. I also clipped all the new coupons which is an accomplishment for me since I tend to do it WAY later. LOL!

3-Christmas tree going to dumpster (currently out by car so DH can't forget to take it)
4-6-three pans returned to Mom
7-bag returned to Mom
8-jar of crunchy peanut butter for Dad
9-box of Kashi cereal to my sister

Shelly527IN
01-02-2011, 11:25:32 PM
only 4 today.........98

DebK1013
01-03-2011, 05:14:24 AM
3 items out today...3/2011 It's a start! LOL

gatosqueak
01-03-2011, 07:37:51 AM
Tossed three ornaments this morning.. Heh. 3/2011 for me.

uncommon
01-03-2011, 07:58:21 AM
Someone mentioned FlyLady, so I had to Google it. I just shined my sink! I do feel better already.

It's crazy but it really does make you feel better. It's like making your bed - it instantly makes the room look 10x cleaner.

I haven't started yet - I am going to go with items because I think it will require less discipline from me and sadly that is likely to be more successful lol.

I guess I should throw out 18 or so items after work today if I want to stay on pace for the year.
:hectic:

momof2inohio
01-03-2011, 12:38:08 PM
Today I cleaned out the downstairs pantry and the cupboards in our laundry room. I didn't count items but I have 2 huge garbage bags full of stuff so I'll just say 35 items.

justmama
01-03-2011, 01:37:24 PM
Ok on a roll here

1 bunk bed (out of ds12's room, it was breaking and just junk)
6 prs of my shoes (1/2 of which our puppy had chewed on)
25 pcs of clothes (too big woo hoo)
1 broken plastic storage drawer thing

33-total

justmama
01-03-2011, 01:37:36 PM
Ok on a roll here

33-total

cody82414
01-03-2011, 02:03:30 PM
I already have the "where do I possibly begin" blues.:sad3:

cdarrow26
01-03-2011, 02:21:27 PM
I already have the "where do I possibly begin" blues.:sad3:
cody I've had it for 3 years so, I'm right there with ya sister!
If anyone can give us some tips on getting motivated, I'd sure love to hear them!
It it so bad that I just walk into a room, look around and turn around and walk out cuz it's so overwhelming...
I moved into my current house just under 3 years ago. I moved into the house I grew up in and am buying it from my parents. Yes, it is very cool, BUT, one of the big problems was that I didn't move into an empty house! Everyone who has ever lived here has left crap here. When I first started getting ready to move here, I had to clean it out. My sister and her family had lived here for a few years and she was/is a borderline hoarder. You should've seen the CRAP I had to clean out of here just to be able to move in. Then, I moved all of my stuff in but have never even had room to unpack it all. I have been nicely (and sometimes not so nicely) asking family members to get what is still left here or I am going to dispose of it, but, that's easier said than done...sigh...

SouthernBelle5
01-03-2011, 02:24:37 PM
cheap frame...gone!

cody82414
01-03-2011, 02:25:51 PM
It it so bad that I just walk into a room, look around and turn around and walk out cuz it's so overwhelming......sigh...

Yep

jenrose
01-03-2011, 03:02:05 PM
Those of you having trouble feeling overwhelmed. I'd suggest breaking down the to do list. Don't say I want to tackle X room. Start smaller. I want to tackle that stack of boxes, or a drawer, or a closet, or .........

I would also suggest either starting in the most visible rooms/piles, or the room that is frustrating you the most. And make a short list of the areas you want to do first that way you can cross it off when you finish it. And make it detailed so you can do a lot of crossing. Crossing things off the list makes you feel like you are actually making progress and when your uncrossed list is getting shorter then you can add more areas to the list.

jenrose
01-03-2011, 03:02:56 PM
cd, if you know what boxes belong to what people I'd just made a few deliveries to make it their problem instead of yours.

cdarrow26
01-03-2011, 03:49:01 PM
Those of you having trouble feeling overwhelmed. I'd suggest breaking down the to do list. Don't say I want to tackle X room. Start smaller. I want to tackle that stack of boxes, or a drawer, or a closet, or .........

I would also suggest either starting in the most visible rooms/piles, or the room that is frustrating you the most. And make a short list of the areas you want to do first that way you can cross it off when you finish it. And make it detailed so you can do a lot of crossing. Crossing things off the list makes you feel like you are actually making progress and when your uncrossed list is getting shorter then you can add more areas to the list.
Ok, and how do I keep track of the list, cuz, it'd be lost in about an hour...never to be seen again :hysterical: I'm serious...that's me...

jenrose
01-03-2011, 03:50:51 PM
Ok, and how do I keep track of the list, cuz, it'd be lost in about an hour...never to be seen again :hysterical: I'm serious...that's me...

Put it on the fridge. Or tape it to a main door that you see all the time....or.......to the kitchen cabinet.......anywhere, just tape or magnet or something it where it will stay exactly where you put it in plain sight.

SouthernBelle5
01-03-2011, 04:20:31 PM
20. Pink fuzzy robe
21. black pumps that are too little
22. meh pink sweater

queenofthehivemomof5
01-03-2011, 05:03:46 PM
The kids went back to school so I was able to get some work done. Went through my coats for the coat drive here at HCW (see the link in my siggy if you need coats or want to donate coats). And threw out 5 bags of trash and a box of trash. I swear the kids and Christmas left lots of trash laying around the house, boxes, packaging from toys, and just general papers and stuff.

And then I cheated...I paid my 19 year old daughter to come and clean the house.

Tomorrow I am going to tackle a dresser we have by the front door where everyone drops their purses, backpacks, stuff from pockets, chargers and mail. It is an eyesore.

queenofthehivemomof5
01-03-2011, 05:06:01 PM

Type it up and post it here on HCW...we will try not to loose your list :biggrin:

Seriously...it could hold you accountable if your list is here in this thread and you check in daily.

Me personally, I am trying to take things is small chunks as I see them.

jenrose
01-03-2011, 05:07:26 PM
Type it up and post it here on HCW...we will try not to loose your list :biggrin:

Seriously...it could hold you accountable if your list is here in this thread and you check in daily.

Me personally, I am trying to take things is small chunks as I see them.

That's a great idea, then you can just quote yourself and change the color or font of what you have finished.

DebK1013
01-03-2011, 06:35:46 PM
I donated 12 items today! For a total of 15 so far!

mysunshine2004
01-03-2011, 06:50:46 PM
12/30/2010 I am in, and hope to declutter and eliminate 2011 items for the year! I am going to try to take pictures too, so I stay motivated!

1/03/2011 Today I listed a large trash bag of ladies clothes on freecycle.
Threw away a small bag of girls clothes that were no longer usable.
I listed a paper bag of shoes on freecycle that are no longer wanted.

tonyarn
01-03-2011, 07:17:19 PM
10-expired bottle of children's Tylenol

Its been a crazy, busy day, so no cleaning done...just this one lousy bottle I found in the diaper bag. LOL!

tonyarn
01-03-2011, 07:25:14 PM
10-expired bottle of children's Tylenol

Its been a crazy, busy day, so no cleaning done...just this one lousy bottle I found in the diaper bag. LOL!

sweetsurrender
01-03-2011, 07:35:24 PM
I had a great first day decluttering. I decided to count items I recycle/trash/donate. I will not count paper that I get rid of because paper clutter is one of my big problems and that would just be too time consuming to count. When I have a piece of paper in my hand that I want to get rid of I have to do it right then and there or I second guess myself.

So what I have to report is that I did the top of the dryer which was a cluttered mess and I started on the DVDs. I purged some toys and some clothes. My numbers for today:
Recycled 3
Donate 10
Trash 10
For a total of 23/2011

I found a $50 Kohls GC that I had misplaced! I need some winter boots so I guess I'll be looking there. Again, this is proof that clutter costs money.

I've read a few posts where some of you were getting overwhelmed and din't know where to start. You are sitting at your computer reading my post right now. What is around you? Any papers you could throw out? Coffee cups that need to go to the sink? Old magazines that could go to the recycle bin?

It doesn't matter where you start or how small you start as long as you do. It's infectious and the more you do it the better it will feel. Just look around the room and let go of one item. If that's enough for you for today then by all means it is enough and don't sweat it.

justmama
01-03-2011, 08:06:20 PM

33-total 1/3/11

adding-

19 (more pieces of clothes)
1- group/bundle expired coupones

53- total 1/3/11

PraiseAdonai
01-03-2011, 08:11:37 PM
Tored up and tossed about two months worth of junk mail and bills! Yeah!

PraiseAdonai
01-03-2011, 08:16:23 PM
okay read through...

1. threw out two months worth of Junk mail
2. and old bills

Shelly527IN
01-03-2011, 09:34:55 PM
0 for today....was planning on doing some cleaning, but got started watching Hoarders. WOW! I've seen it before, but tonight's was SUPER nasty! Motivation to clean tomorrow!

queenofthehivemomof5
01-03-2011, 11:09:16 PM
tonyarn you mentioned challenges...can we suggest challenges? Or will you surprise us?

actvmom
01-04-2011, 04:34:51 AM
Well, I have moved several things out by the door to go to the Goodwill, but I won't count them until they are actually AT the Goodwill.

Have a GREAT day ya'll!

XUfan
01-04-2011, 04:43:26 AM
I had a ton of time Sunday and Monday, since I had no computer...but I really didn't get as much done as I could have. My hubby was home, and I'd rather spend the little time we have together...together! But, I did clean off the coupon shelf in the laundry room. I had a few uncut inserts, some mailers, and some other random things there. It only took me about 15 minutes to clean it all off. But...it's done now...until I get busy and start sticking stuff there "for later" again!!

cody82414
01-04-2011, 04:57:25 AM
I read something that said something to the effect of
'if you haven't used something in over a year,
toss it'

Take the emotion out of it .

I hope to do that today.

ETA: 51 things out:BigHand:
(so 66 for the year)

tonyarn
01-04-2011, 06:01:40 AM
Suggest away!

tonyarn
01-04-2011, 06:02:30 AM
Now why didn't that quote? That was to QOTH.

cody82414
01-04-2011, 07:53:38 AM
50 more items out

mom2lucas
01-04-2011, 07:59:14 AM
We're thinking of selling the air hockey table, but I have no idea what to ask for it. We bought it used, but it's still in good condition. It's full-sized, which means it takes up too much space for no more than we play. Right now, it's serving as a table for my work papers.

leqet
01-04-2011, 08:09:07 AM
We're thinking of selling the air hockey table, but I have no idea what to ask for it. We bought it used, but it's still in good condition. It's full-sized, which means it takes up too much space for no more than we play. Right now, it's serving as a table for my work papers.

I would so a search on craigslist and see what people are selling them for. That is if craigslist is big in your area. If yours doesn't get a lot of traffic it might not help you (you could search the nearest big city instead of your area though). List it for just below what others have their's list for and you will be more likely to get rid of it. Barring that idea I would say start with asking about 50% what you paid for it if it is still in like new condition and negotiate down from there.

frugalstafar
01-04-2011, 09:08:33 AM
12 clutter items removed from my house yesterday-lets see what today can bring!!

rbunnymom
01-04-2011, 10:12:30 AM
I am pretty sure I signed up. I organized my closet and filled 2 bags with clothes. Trying to decide if I am going to contact one of the companies that come to the house to pick-up or pile in my trunk to take to the goodwill. The company comes in my area every Wed, so I am also thinking of doing a month of Wed to get rid of a lot!

cody82414
01-04-2011, 11:03:36 AM
I am pretty sure I signed up. I organized my closet and filled 2 bags with clothes. Trying to decide if I am going to contact one of the companies that come to the house to pick-up or pile in my trunk to take to the goodwill. The company comes in my area every Wed, so I am also thinking of doing a month of Wed to get rid of a lot!

What a great idea!
Good luck to you!

turtlegirl115
01-04-2011, 11:33:57 AM
Pictures always motivate me so I thought I'd share:

Toys! Toys and more Toys!
Before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/seaturtle113/Getting%20Organized/toysbefore.jpg

After:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/seaturtle113/Getting%20Organized/toys1.jpg

Bought an inexpensive bookcase:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/seaturtle113/Getting%20Organized/toys2.jpg

Laundry area

Before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/seaturtle113/Getting%20Organized/laundrybefore1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/seaturtle113/Getting%20Organized/laundrybefore2.jpg

After:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/seaturtle113/Getting%20Organized/laundry.jpg

Anyone else care to share?

My DH was out of town for 9 days and when he came home he was super impressed! I haven't taken the after pics yet but I also decluttered our medicine/cookbook cabinet, cleaned off the top of the fridge and there is NO clutter on my kitchen counter and table. It feels GREAT!

MrsPinecone
01-04-2011, 11:47:07 AM
Our playroom was a disaster.

I attacked it by leaving it all dumped on the floor. LOL Then I went in with a garbage bag, and just took out the broken, stained, torn or otherwise useless trash.

Second round is for toys that they have outgrown, and those went into a garage sale box.

Third round was connecting all of the parts of the 'keepers' to their mates. This is where the bins, baskets, ziplocs come in.

Fourth round is putting it all away in a manner that is workable for your family.

Voila. One disaster contained.

leqet
01-04-2011, 12:45:31 PM
I organized my pantry today, tossed a couple things that were too far expired and made a small box of food to take to the food bank. I just donated right before Christmas so I didn't have a lot to get rid of but it's so nice to have it neat again. I'm going to try to post before and after pictures. 1 more box of stuff gone!

leqet
01-04-2011, 12:48:33 PM
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j449/gfm2/Organizeit2011/HPIM1076.jpg
Before

leqet
01-04-2011, 12:49:55 PM
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j449/gfm2/Organizeit2011/HPIM1077.jpg
After

leqet
01-04-2011, 12:51:44 PM
Sorry the pictures are so big. I'm not sure how to make them smaller.

pkchicken
01-04-2011, 12:52:02 PM
:smile::wavehi:
I drove 8 trash bags full of clothes to the donation box at the shopping center!!!

:BigHand:

now I have to bag up some books for the trash that got ruined by a leak in the ceiling of the trailor. I figure about 8 plastic store bags ought to do it.
Then I will be 2/3 done emptying the trailor!!!
Yay!
( I have to empty the trailor so that I can use it to store good things to donate for my friends fundraiser.)

pk

cody82414
01-04-2011, 12:53:21 PM
I organized my pantry today, tossed a couple things that were too far expired and made a small box of food to take to the food bank. I just donated right before Christmas so I didn't have a lot to get rid of but it's so nice to have it neat again. I'm going to try to post before and after pictures. 1 more box of stuff gone!

go go go!!!

leqet
01-04-2011, 12:56:39 PM
Pictures always motivate me so I thought I'd share:

Anyone else care to share?

My DH was out of town for 9 days and when he came home he was super impressed! I haven't taken the after pics yet but I also decluttered our medicine/cookbook cabinet, cleaned off the top of the fridge and there is NO clutter on my kitchen counter and table. It feels GREAT!

Looks great! WTG! :BigHand:

cody82414
01-04-2011, 01:00:22 PM
Sorry the pictures are so big. I'm not sure how to make them smaller.

pregnancy tea?
are you expecting?

leqet
01-04-2011, 01:04:45 PM
pregnancy tea?
are you expecting?

LOL, NO I got it on clearance and I had a coupon! :hysterical: It's really good tea though and I have been trying to get pregnant for the past four years (no luck :sad3:). I figured it couldn't hurt to drink the tea, right? :whistle67:

greenfrog57
01-04-2011, 01:09:30 PM
Yesterday, I cleared off the side of the refrigerator and tossed 1 stack of broken magnets. I also pulled out a bunch of candles I bought and never burned. I put them on Freecycle but won't count that until they are picked up. I also pulled out 8 barely used coloring books to donate to the kids corner at the gym.

up to 62 items now!

cody82414
01-04-2011, 01:17:22 PM
magazines and pens can normally be donated to waiting rooms

most schools will take pencils even partially used

ELLE-TN
01-04-2011, 02:37:45 PM
for all of you that are following the decluttering challenge, please think about the HHH Coat Drive (http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/hotcouponworlds-helping-hand/379887-hotcouponworlds-january-coat-drive-helping-hand-event-2.html#post2728780) while you are cleaning out. We are looking for GENTLY USED coats, snowpants, boots, etc. If you haven't read about the drive, please go check it out now.

momof2inohio
01-04-2011, 02:44:47 PM
Almost done with the master bedroom closet. Just need to have DH go through his clothes and pull some stuff out and I need to go through the rest of my clothes tomorrow.

Today I got rid of 2 pairs of DH's shoes which I am going to donate.
1 blanket
3 of DH's sweaters that are too small
1 old sheet set

I also went through my jewelry box. I found an old heart locket that my son gave me when he was 4. He put his picture in there. I had forgotten about it. Its so sweet. I am going to show him when he gets back home from his friend's house.:smile: I also found an old sapphire ring and tennis bracelet that my DH gave me when we were dating. I need to start wearing those again. I got rid of some old junky jewelry so I will count that as 1 item.

So total for today 8 items.

greenfrog57
01-04-2011, 04:00:05 PM
Went through a stack of kid games (neatened them up -- boy did they need that!) and took out 1 craft kit to trash (dried up paint) and 1 box of brainquest cards to pass on to a friend.

I also put all my purses back in their tote in my closet, but didn't part with any because they all fit in their space. :whistle67:

up to 64 items now!

XUfan
01-04-2011, 04:07:16 PM
I spent 60 minutes, cleaning out the fridge...leftovers from Christmas!! YIKES!...and re-doing one of my pantry cabinets. I am Wayyyyyy ahead of my 45 mins/week!

foodie
01-04-2011, 04:13:07 PM
Hi, "y'all"--

You are doing great this week. I am decluttering too somewhat. I went through the kids dresser drawers and replenished their socks, etc. with new items, taking 10 bags of clothes to donation center tomorrow, and will also be donating some food that we got to donate over the holidays but didn't have time to drop off.:dontknow1:

I plan on also going through the kids' playroom and having them pick out toys they wish to donate also for tomorrow's donation later tonight. Hubby already cleaned out his closet and dresser drawers earlier this week.

Have a good night--

Foodie:biggrin:

cdarrow26
01-04-2011, 04:16:49 PM
I don't have the time or energy during the week to do much...so, probably won't make much more progress til the weekend.
I did hear back from the charity I wanted to take some stuff to, and she will be around tomorrow afternoon, so, if I can find the energy to load it in my car tonight, that should be a bunch of stuff out. Luckily, it's already boxed and bagged up...just need to count it for the challenge and load it in the car.

cdarrow26
01-04-2011, 08:33:31 PM
Ok, everything is loaded in the car for tomorrow. There were about 15 items of clothing, a set of dishes and a toaster and 2 bags of toiletries going to charity tomorrow. Total out is now 45.

Shelly527IN
01-04-2011, 11:32:08 PM
I got rid of a fish bowl (no fish in the past 8 years or more!), about 5 pots for plants, and about 30 stuffed animals.

134 total!

cody82414
01-05-2011, 07:49:38 AM
22 out today (138 total)

cdarrow26
01-05-2011, 08:37:06 AM
Ok, I added a few things to my donation today...4 cups, a comforter, a blanket, a pair of boots and another shirt, so, total is up to 53.

XUfan
01-05-2011, 09:04:38 AM
OK...this will show you how OCD I really am. This morning, I looked at my totals, and saw that I had 1896 minutes left. So...I set the timer for 56 minutes, because I didn't like looking at that "6" at the end! Then...I cleaned out the bottom of my closet. Found shoes that I'll never wear, uniforms from my job (before we changed colors), and lots of empty bags (from hidden Christmas gifts). I still had time left, so I went to the spare room closet (which is all shelves) and tossed some things that we'll never use into a garbage bag. Took two big bags out to the car to go to goodwill! So...56 minutes today!

Starting time: 2011 minutes
Completed: 171 minutes
Left to go: 1840 minutes

When my grandkids get here, we might work on the toybox and game shelf. I need to see which games they'd like to donate...and maybe I can knock some more time off of this list!

gatosqueak
01-05-2011, 12:19:47 PM
Nice, good job XUfan!! Took 10 books to donate to the library last night. Up to 13 items.

sbp
01-05-2011, 12:50:54 PM
I put in 6 minutes today (actually longer but I was down in the basement and couldn't tell how much longer I was down there after the timer dinged.) in my laundry corner of the basement.

First I rearranged the inside of the cabinet that I store my unopened detergent and fabric softener in to make room for the 5 Wisks I got at CVS yesterday.

And then I worked on the top of the cupboard. You know how you end up with bottles that have a tiny bit of detergent left in them?... not really enough for the next load but your frugal self can't bear to get rid of the bottle until it's completely empty

I had 6 of those bottles!! I washed a load of towels, which took care of 2 bottles, which I put out in the recycle bin, and stood there letting the other 4 drip into an almost full bottle. So woo hoo - 4 more bottles to join the other 2 outside!!

I also re-delegated 2 laundry baskets to now be the laundry sorting station downstairs. Up until last week the laundry baskets had lived in the corner of my then-messy bedroom holding too-big clothes for my boys that we'd gotten from friends (those clothes are now packed away in stackable totes) Since the laundry room is downstairs, I've never really worried about being organized down there, I just dump the baskets out on the floor and separate them into a couple of piles. *gasp* lol the things that we admit to in a decluttering thread!! Anyways, my laundry area looks 100 times better than it did this morning, as I can tell at a glance what the next load of laundry should be. (Next load is darks btw!)

Tomorrow I start on the dining room hutch aka the clutter catcher by the door.

momof2inohio
01-05-2011, 04:20:22 PM
Today I threw out an old scale that was broken, old cards, misc. stuff from my desk. I put aside some old computer games and books to donate. Also have an old printer to donate. Total for today 13 items.

PraiseAdonai
01-06-2011, 05:47:03 AM
Well, I have moved several things out by the door to go to the Goodwill, but I won't count them until they are actually AT the Goodwill.

Have a GREAT day ya'll!

I like that!

mom2lucas
01-06-2011, 07:59:13 AM
I spent 60 minutes yesterday in the office. I went through all my old work papers (guidelines, monthly newsletters, etc) and sorted/filed and trashed what I could. I boxed up some things to move to the work storage facility. Another hour should finish it up, but I ran out of time before I had to leave for work yesterday.

Zwella Ingrid
01-06-2011, 12:55:28 PM
Ok I'm going to try this again. Started great last year, but pooped out quickly. I'm going for getting rid of 2,011 items. I already have some things gathered to go, but I just haven't gotten them out the house yet. I can't count them until they are actually out. Some of my donating bags hang around for a good, long while!

momof2inohio
01-06-2011, 01:24:35 PM
Today I went through DH's sock drawer and got rid of 14 socks that did not have matches. Cleaned out a envelope of old receipts. Finished cleaning out desk and got rid of some junk. Total items for today 29.

XUfan
01-06-2011, 01:42:12 PM
I spent some time in my pantry today. I hadn't planned it...but I bought some things that needed homes. And, being my OCD self, I couldn't put 6 cans of Spaghettios on one shelf, when the other 4 cans were on another! So, I had to move some things around. I put together a bag of stuff to donate to my son's house (he's our favorite charity). Anyway...when all was said and done, I'd spent an hour in there!! So...

Completed: 231 minutes
Left to go: 1780 minutes

cdarrow26
01-06-2011, 04:54:49 PM
I am planning on tackling my master closet this weekend. I have way too many clothes, and I don't wear half of them. I am sick of having a closet so full, that I constantly have 2-3 laundry baskets of clean clothes sitting in my room because there's nowhere to put them. I'm also sick of going through my closet every morning when I'm getting ready for work, and not wanting to wear 90% of what is there. So, that is my project for this weekend and I need to be ruthless. I am going to set a goal of getting rid of 30 pieces of clothing and I will report back how I make out.

irishsaver
01-06-2011, 06:53:04 PM
DH & I went through Large kitchen pantry and cleaned out all open boxes. I can actually see what I need now.. about 25 boxes. Plus I took pictures of the before and after so I will post later.
I also cleaned out a lot of boxes from the basement from old christmas stuff old... I seem to hold onto all boxes for everything and anything so this is good.

Looks like everyone else is doing good too..

sbp
01-06-2011, 07:28:25 PM
I spent about 1/2 an hour working on the dining room hutch today. I recycled a whole bunch of papers and have a honking stack of papers that need to be filed and organized so we can do our taxes before April 14th lol I had to pick up the kids from school so the filing project got put on hold until tomorrow!

SouthernBelle5
01-06-2011, 07:40:09 PM
23. Recording Voice Ornament that didn't work :rolleyes24:
24. Handprint maker for DS that I was tired of looking at

pkchicken
01-06-2011, 08:36:08 PM
I filled another trash can with useless stuff from our outside trailor.
Also re organized 6 boxes for donation.

I would have done more but my feet felt like they were frozen.
It's cold out there!

More tomarrow if it's not too cold.

pk

Shelly527IN
01-06-2011, 10:15:29 PM
I was on a roll tonight and cleaned some things out of my walk-in closet that's now just a "step-in" closet.

135. pantyhose
136. pile of asdress labels
137. old calendar
138. package of lace
139. old shoes
140.-168. old nic-nacs packed away for over a decade!
169. old potpouri
170. old newspapers protecting nicnacs
171. old checkbook cover
172-173 boxes of checks for closed accounys
174.-176. 3 prs. slippersocks

That felt great! Like I posted earlier, my mom and I shared the house until her death. She was not a hoarder by any means, but she liked "pretties" and to make crafts. I've kept a lot of the things she's made, but nic-nacs she gathered over the years don't have much sentimental value to me. I did find 9 nic-nacs that I remember from my childhood to keep.

This challenge is great motivation! Now if I can just get to the thrift store before it closes tomorrow.

greenfrog57
01-07-2011, 08:18:07 AM
I am still decluttering even though I haven't checked in. Yesterday, I took 1 bag of old broken or missing a mate jewelry to the coin shop for salvage value and got $73!!! I also trashed 1 way too big pile of paper from the car (old ads, misc lists...) I misplaced a pair of gym pants so I hunted all day yesterday in the closet and drawers. So, I ended up trashing 1 pile of papers that was for some unknown reason in my closet. I also pulled out 1 pile of papers to recycle from by the fireplace.

up to 68 items now and an extra $73!!!

actvmom
01-07-2011, 10:59:20 AM
Does it count that I have delivered people dishes back to them from the Christmas Buffet?

Zwella Ingrid
01-07-2011, 11:17:45 AM
I am planning on tackling my master closet this weekend. I have way too many clothes, and I don't wear half of them. I am sick of having a closet so full, that I constantly have 2-3 laundry baskets of clean clothes sitting in my room because there's nowhere to put them. I'm also sick of going through my closet every morning when I'm getting ready for work, and not wanting to wear 90% of what is there. So, that is my project for this weekend and I need to be ruthless. I am going to set a goal of getting rid of 30 pieces of clothing and I will report back how I make out.

I need to do this too. I started dieting and exercising last year at this time, and I have been able to keep the weight off, so I have a closet full of clothes that are too big, but I'm paranoid that I will gain the weight back, then be sad I got rid of these clothes. These are all what I call my "Christmas" clothes, including party clothes etc. They are all things I really like, but I just can't wear them. It seems so silly to keep them when I need the closet space so badly. It is so hard to get rid of clothes that you really like. I have a hard enough time getting rid of clothes I don't like.

pkchicken
01-07-2011, 12:21:42 PM
Does it count that I have delivered people dishes back to them from the Christmas Buffet?

LOL! well it is clutter after all!

I need to do this too. I started dieting and exercising last year at this time, and I have been able to keep the weight off, so I have a closet full of clothes that are too big, but I'm paranoid that I will gain the weight back, then be sad I got rid of these clothes. These are all what I call my "Christmas" clothes, including party clothes etc. They are all things I really like, but I just can't wear them. It seems so silly to keep them when I need the closet space so badly. It is so hard to get rid of clothes that you really like. I have a hard enough time getting rid of clothes I don't like.

me too! Maybe I'll be able to get rid of the clothes I don't like. I hope.

Well...Phase 1 is done, the trailor junk (originally it was put in there for a yard sale) has been gone thru and good stuff set aside neatly for the fund raiser. Decent clothes have been donated and real crap has been thrown out.

Phase 2 is going thru the house and setting aside good things into the trailor for the fund raiser. Tossing crap and donating items and clothes we don't need.

I'm kind of on a deadline as my friends penny party fund raiser is mid february and I want to get as much stuff as possible for her.

pk

tonyarn
01-07-2011, 12:41:35 PM

YES!!!

I am at a stand still already. I've been essentially unemployed since the end of November, but a part-time job (very part-time) has been asking me to do crazy long hours all week, so I have been slacking at home. Tuesday I worked 19.5 hours, Wednesday 13, only 9 lastnight, thankfully, but I'm exhausted! I will be working thru the weekend for sure, so hopefully back at it on Monday.

XUfan
01-07-2011, 01:08:28 PM
Worked on a couple of drawers in the desk in the spare bedroom today. I had no idea there was so much stuff crammed in there!! Mostly stuff that nobody ever cares to see again...so it's gone!! Why in the world do people keep every little note that they write to themselves? (I'm speaking of myself!! LOL!) Knock another 30 minutes off the tally!

Completed: 261 minutes
Left to go: 1750 minutes

greenfrog57
01-07-2011, 01:37:02 PM
Cleared out 1 pile of paperwork on the desk and 1 pile on the counter. I can see my kitchen counter now, and I found the gift cards DH wanted. Being cluttered can cost you money!

up to 70 items now!

jenrose
01-07-2011, 01:54:43 PM
OK, I took the toys that I cleaned out of the boys room out of the house. I was gonna take them to the donation bins but when I dropped DS2 off at preschool my sis was there dropping my niece off. She took it all and will keep what she wants and put the rest out at her MOPS meeting for the other moms to take. Then any remaining will be donated. It was really good toys so I'm sure most of it will be taken by the other moms.

I didn't really count it but it had to of been over 30 items so I'll just call it that. It also included an umbrella stroller. :BigHand:

MrsPinecone
01-07-2011, 02:48:59 PM
#6 = gallon ziploc of hotel toiletries that I was going to 'pamper myself' with and never did. OUT.

#7 = 2 boxes of very stale Ritz crackers to the local birds.

actvmom
01-07-2011, 03:46:28 PM
OK, so 7 dishes returned to family members from the Christmas Buffet at my house.

Sunday I plan to take the kids clothes to the Goodwill.

actvmom
01-07-2011, 03:49:42 PM
YES!!!

I am at a stand still already. I've been essentially unemployed since the end of November, but a part-time job (very part-time) has been asking me to do crazy long hours all week, so I have been slacking at home. Tuesday I worked 19.5 hours, Wednesday 13, only 9 lastnight, thankfully, but I'm exhausted! I will be working thru the weekend for sure, so hopefully back at it on Monday.

Goodness those are crazy hours. You take care of yourself or else you will make yourself sick!

cody82414
01-07-2011, 03:50:04 PM
clipped, counted and bagged up the BTFEs
cleared out two drawers.

greenfrog57
01-07-2011, 04:20:52 PM
clipped, counted and bagged up the BTFEs
cleared out two drawers.

Were there 2 drawers of BTFE? :wink7:

cody82414
01-07-2011, 04:41:29 PM
Were there 2 drawers of BTFE? :wink7:

:giggle2:just about.
Seemed like I just kept finding them everyplace in my office.
Even in some bags of stuff I have to take down to the stockpile in the basement:hectic:

4 more things out.

tonyarn
01-07-2011, 07:22:50 PM
Yeehaw...I can't remember what number I'm on exactly, but my friend came and got her gloves she left at my house...that's one more item gone!

tonyarn
01-07-2011, 07:25:40 PM
Goodness those are crazy hours. You take care of yourself or else you will make yourself sick!

Thanks! I am able to rest a little while I'm there, but its just not the same as being at home in my bed! It's crazy because this is a job that I've been working 1-2 hours a MONTH at, and now I have like a million hours this week!

XUfan
01-08-2011, 05:18:42 AM
Another 15 minutes off the tally!

I got up when my hubby got up for work this morning. I spent the 15 minutes he was showering & dressing to clean up an area in my laundry room. It's the "I don't know where it goes, so I'll put it here" area! We have a utility sink next to the washer, but nobody ever uses it. A few years ago, I picked up a piece of countertop that sits perfectly on it, and makes it look more like a table...and also makes it a great place for putting clothes when I'm folding them! But...everyone puts everything there!! Now...it's clean again! So...with my 15 minutes this morning...

Completed: 276 minutes
Left to go: 1735 minutes

cdarrow26
01-08-2011, 08:57:16 AM
I need some motivation...
It is freezing cold here this morning, like single digits cold. I can't get warm! I've had about 5 cups of coffee. Both doggies are snuggled in on my lap and I don't wanna move!
All I've done so far is gather up the week's newspapers, ads, etc and throw them in recycling, started packing up Christmas wrapping stuff, but I've still gotta find a "home" for it all once it's packed up, probably in the basement, and started a load of laundry. I really need to get to work on the closet but I'm procrastinating...
Maybe I'll take a hot bath to warm up! Maybe that will get me motivated:dontknow1:

cdarrow26
01-08-2011, 10:14:13 AM
Ok, I've never posted a picture before, so, not sure if this worked or not. I took EVERYTHING out of my master closet and put in on the bed in my spare bedrooom...This is only stuff from the closet, nothing from dressers. Uh, yeah, I should have NO problem finding 30 things to part with...I should have no problem finding 100 things to part with. Sick...

leqet
01-08-2011, 10:53:49 AM
Ok, I've never posted a picture before, so, not sure if this worked or not. I took EVERYTHING out of my master closet and put in on the bed in my spare bedrooom...This is only stuff from the closet, nothing from dressers. Uh, yeah, I should have NO problem finding 30 things to part with...I should have no problem finding 100 things to part with. Sick...

You can do this! Just work fast and don't think too much about it. Get yourself a trash can, a donate box and laundry basket for the items you want to keep. Everything you touch must go into one of these locations. If you have not worn it in a year, it is stained, or doesn't fit GET RID OF IT! Then hang up/put away all the keep items and admire the space you made. Don't give youself time to make excuses. I don't know about you, but I've made all these excuses over the years for keeping stuff-- saying I'll wait and see if it fits or I plan to fix those ripped seams or I can hem these pants to make them work, or I want to make quilts, etc, etc. When I started getting rid of stuff I found it very liberating to have space and have things I really use fit in my closet and storage again.

Today I cleaned out my sock drawer and got rid of all the socks with holes, all the socks I never wear because they are uncomfortable/ugly (some were gifts I didn't want to part with, lol), and all the socks that have long ago lost their mate. This last one was hard for me because in order to convince myself I could part with those single socks I had to have all the laundry done today! Because what if I threw it out and then found the match?!? I've made these excuses for years, no more. I did the laundry and then cleaned out my sock drawer and it feels good. Another small bag of useless stuff gone from my home! :BigHand:

BeachBum1984
01-08-2011, 11:06:07 AM
I'm a little late, but I'm in! I have lots of things to get rid of, mainly clothes! I had 2 roommates move out, and DBF move in, so I have lots of left overs to get rid off. I already have 1 box of randomness and 1 box of clothes to give to Goodwill.

XUfan
01-08-2011, 11:08:51 AM
Everybody's doing great! I was going to try to tackle something else today, but I changed my mind. I have 2 1/2 hours until I leave for work, and I think I might just relax a bit before I go. Tomorrow, hubby and I are both off work...and the 15 year old (only kid at home) will be spending the night at her friend's house tonight (yippeeee!!). So, tomorrow, I'm sleeping in...and spending the day with my sweetie! Of course, if he decided to work on his car (which could happen), I'll be back on track, cleaning something out!

cody82414
01-08-2011, 02:22:52 PM
More good minimalism words of wisdom:wavehi:

Before tossing out stuff, ask yourself:
• Does it lift my energy when I think about it or look at it? Trust the feelings in your body. Does it make me feel good?
• Do I absolutely love it? Does it really inspire me or is it just ‘nice”? Does it also have sad associations in my life?
• Is it genuinely useful? If so, when did I actually last use it? When, realistically, am I going to use it again?
• Will I have found a use for this within the next 10 years? The answer is nearly always no.
• Look at each thing and ask:
Do I love you?
Do you make me smile?
Do I have a place for you?
If the answer is no – out you go!

ryansmommie
01-08-2011, 02:52:00 PM
We cleaned out the attic today while we were putting our Christmas items back in. (We're running a little late.)

I've got a stack of stuff to drop off at Goodwill.

Michelle

countrylady2002
01-08-2011, 02:52:26 PM
I did the decluttering challenge last year for about 3 months and it really helped. My goal is 39 items a week, starting in a few minutes with my office. It is a mess! Isn't it interesting that reading about other people's cluttered homes, gives us all the motivation to get our house in order. Weird but true! :dontknow1:

brokenangel
01-08-2011, 04:00:15 PM
I got 15 minutes of decluttering done after work today. Managed to get more newpapers recycled... I seem to find old papers everywhere I turn. I went through the pile of mail on my desk. Now I'm being lazy and wishing it was bedtime... its only 6. lol I hate when my alarm goes off at 3am for work.