PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Dresser

saladbar
08-16-2006, 02:30:15 PM
A friend gave DD a dresser which is an off white color with gold trim. DD wants it white. Where do I begin? What kind of paint? HELP!

TIA

Diane

zydeco
08-16-2006, 02:59:25 PM
A friend gave DD a dresser which is an off white color with gold trim. DD wants it white. Where do I begin? What kind of paint? HELP!

TIA

Diane
I like latex, myself.
You first need to know if the original paint is oil or latex.
You can use latex over oil. But if it's latex and want to cover it with an oil base. It will need a primer first.
happy painting!

saladbar
08-16-2006, 03:12:10 PM
I like latex, myself.
You first need to know if the original paint is oil or latex.
You can use latex over oil. But if it's latex and want to cover it with an oil base. It will need a primer first.
happy painting!

So covering with a primer is the first step? No need to sand or anything like that? lol Do I use a brush or roller? As you can see I have never done anything like this. lol Oh, and how do I tell if the orginial paint is oil or latex?

Thanks,

Diane

billythekid
08-16-2006, 08:31:53 PM
Hi Mrs.Diane, I can paint but I'm afriad to tell you which to use without seeing the desk. A primer is always necessary and will be beneficial if you do in fact use the wrong paint. Sanding the desk will cause it to be smoother, however I don't think thats going to be necessary for a desk yes/no? Try this link, maybe its a desk similar to the one you have

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/good-questions/good-questions-how-to-paint-this-desk-008290

jasmom87
08-17-2006, 07:08:34 PM
I have painted my dressers with great results. Lightly sand the dresser with very fine grit sandpaper. Clean off all sandpaper with a damp rag rinsed often. Let dry and then use a good primer, followed by latex paint. Don't use flat, I think semi-gloss is the best because of the wear and tear and dusting/cleaning. You can use a good quality paint brush (not the cheapos - they leave brush marks) or the sponge brushes. A good quality paint brush is not the place to save money on (I know from experience as it will cost you more in the long run if you use a cheapo).

zydeco
08-17-2006, 08:01:04 PM
I don't use primer nor do I use a brush. (I use a sponge-on-a-stick.)
:beavisnbutthead:

saladbar
08-17-2006, 09:00:12 PM
Thanks for all the helpful information.:RockOn:

BzyBee
08-17-2006, 09:51:37 PM
You might check how snuggly the drawers fit when they are pushed in. We painted a dresser for DS that had previously been stained. The addition of the paint around the edges of the drawers added enough thickness to cause the drawers to be too snug...needed a bit of a push to get them in. DTMS...the drawer fronts slid in and were flush with the dresser front. I had to sand down all the edges and do it again...it was a pain. If they are snug already, go ahead and sand them down first.

If you are considering skipping the sanding/priming make sure you test an area with your white paint and let it dry completely...overnight. Sometimes paint that appears to be off-white is really yellowed due to smoke (being in a house with a smoker) or oils in the wood, or an old finish under the paint, or the paint itself has yellowed over time. In any of those cases, the color could bleed through your new white paint and make it appear yellowed too. If that happens, you will need to prime.

berlinsmommy
08-18-2006, 07:49:05 AM
We've repainted Berlin's dresser a few times (just did it for the 3rd time a few weeks ago) and DH uses this orange stripping chemical that he buys at Home Depot, its about $10 for a bottle and easily does the whole dresser. Yor put it on, let it sit a while, and then just scrape off the paint. Its pretty good about going all the way down to the wood. Then if it needs to (like if it was exposed to smoke) you can let it air out, wash it down with soap and water (this is a good use of Palmolive Dish Wipes), let it dry, and paint it. All 3 times we did it, it worked out great.

MOM2SNOX
08-19-2006, 09:41:24 AM
When my DS was younger, we used to paint his dressers to match his room. I remember one year, we took two dressers outside, placed them on a old sheet, painted them white (latex, semi-gloss) paint and then, using Tempura paint in primary colors, I had him make handprints in different colors all over the dresser. Put two white sheets outside and he imprinted his hands in primary colors on them too! Hung them in his room and it made a nice, bright and refreshing theme with the dresser!

saladbar
08-19-2006, 12:07:48 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm hesitant to start. I'm worried I may ruin it...then it would turn into a bigger project than anticipated. lol

BzyBee
08-19-2006, 12:47:08 PM
You probably can't ruin it...worst case is you have to start over. We have all been there at least once...then you learn better how to do it for the next time. The worst thing is that once you know what you are doing...there is hardly anything that looks like junk...everything will look better with just a new coat of paint. LOL...just wait till dark if you are going to scavange furniture from your neighbors trash. :Nod:

kurlisola
08-19-2006, 01:28:01 PM
There's all sorts of things you can do instead of just paint. You can get pictures from magazines (whatever theme you want), or even fabric (thin cotton would probably be best). Glue them on & then paint the entire thing with a clear sealer. (I only would suggest this if this was a free item, w/o alot of monetary value). I saw the finished product when I was a young teen, visiting a friend. She had done a flower theme. You could also do something on the top of it & put a piece of glass over it (smooth edges) to protect it.

As for the painting itself, I would go with lightly sanding it & the primer & then latex paint.

BzyBee
08-19-2006, 01:42:31 PM
You are right Lisa...fabric works great especially if the dresser drawers have little panels, insets or trim that you want to accent. Liquid starch works great if you want to be able to remove the fabric easily. (this can be done on walls as well - great for apartments where you can't paint bold colors) You can use tissue paper or even paper napkins (the ones that are decoratively printed) with glue for something long lasting, but harder to remove.

Goodwill furniture is great for these types of projects...or 'large item' trash collection day...just be sure to have steady nerve and a pickup truck. I am amazed at the stuff people throw out. Just on my street alone I have gotten rocking chairs for my front porch (needed minor repair and paint) and a desk chair (DH put a new nut and bolt under the seat). DH will fix up the stuff I find but he WILL NOT go with me to collect it...LOL.

I have been wanting to see the show where 2 guys pick up what people have left by the curb, refinish it and then return it to them...haven't caught it yet though. That sounds like so much fun, but I can't see myself giving the stuff back...LOL

saladbar
08-19-2006, 03:36:02 PM
More great ideas. I'll run those ideas by DD. She is 15 so she was just thinking white. It's better than her wanting all black when she was 14. lol

cutenirish
08-22-2006, 06:46:02 PM
I've got afew things I'd like to paint around here one being a dresser and one an end table :) I've heard that orange stuff works great! Hugs

Sabrinas_Mom
10-03-2006, 11:44:38 AM
I just painted a dresser I got from Freecycle not to long ago. It's an old one with really ornate mirrors. The silvering was peeling from the back of the mirrors so I just took off all the molding around the mirror frame and bought new mirror. It was soo easy. I sanded it really well and used a kitchen cabinet enamel in white. Its really scrubable. I love it. But I did paint the sides of the drawers and now it's a lil too tight. I will have to sand them when I get the time. Goodluck!

Shopz2Much
10-03-2006, 12:02:44 PM
if you rub a bar of soap on the dresser drawers it will help them roll in and out with more ease.

Sabrinas_Mom
10-03-2006, 12:07:57 PM
roflmao..Thanks but....uh, I don't have any Soap. Jeeze, I better go get some now.

berlinsmommy
10-03-2006, 12:24:41 PM
Also, it could look really cute if the dresser is painted one color and the drawers another color. Thats what we did with Berlin's this time, the dresser is a dark pink and the drawers are light pink with white handles.

BzyBee
10-03-2006, 12:30:17 PM
If you wanted to see the woodgrain at all, you could use a solid color stain. They come it lots of colors now and don't 'build up' like the paint does.

MOM2SNOX
10-03-2006, 12:55:53 PM
How's it coming with that dresser?? Any pictures?

Valentinemommy2002
10-03-2006, 01:27:53 PM
If it just one of those little "princess" type sets that came as a large suite....we just spray painted one when we moved and it turned out great. Didn't prime it or anything and it has never been a problem. Good luck!

saladbar
10-03-2006, 03:37:37 PM
Well...I haven't done it YET.:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: I now have a desk that DD wants painted white too. I'll get to it one of these days. lol