PDA

View Full Version : Holiday ~ Ideas Giving Tree Gift Idea For Teenage Boy ~ 2010

queenofthehivemomof5
11-22-2010, 08:40:25 PM
Hey everyone! Today I picked a tag off of the Giving Tree for a local abuse shelter and we picked a 14 year old boy to select a gift for. Since I do not have teen boys (girls yes) I am not quite sure what to get him.

His tag says:
Sizes:
Shirt: 16-18
Pants 16-18 or 30/32
Shoes: 10 Mens
Interests: Skateboarding, socks, biking, snowboarding, Wii games, music (rap, rock, pop), queen size bed

OK clothing is sort of a boring gift to get for Christmas (IMO) although I could get him something...socks are way dull.

Queen size bed is out of my budget so I have to work with the fact that he likes skateboarding, biking, snowboarding, wii games and music.

I am leaning towards a Wii game or two that are skateboarding, snowboarding or biking. Although I have no ideas what hot cool games are out there in those interests.

Music is such a personal choice and without specific artists I am not sure I could pick out something he likes...

So I guess my question is what cool Wii games are out there right now that are related to those sports?

We have a Wii but my kids are much younger and like things like Mario and learning games....

aquene27
11-22-2010, 09:00:10 PM
Well, if you're looking at a Wii game, and have Targets nearby, I've been finding a bunch of Wii games for $25 and less on clearance. They have sports ones as well as fighting games etc.

Dunno if that helps any though but I wanted to give a suggestion because I think its so great of you to brighten this child's holiday!

Lucky1307
11-22-2010, 09:07:19 PM
DS1 is 15 and shares similar interests to the boy you have picked. Anything Tony Hawk or Shaun White.

Jessi
11-22-2010, 09:12:55 PM
When in doubt always go into a Game Stop and ask the clerks there. You can always find gently used games for way less than the new ones there. Also my brother who is 26 mind you, like skateboarding, racing bikes etc. I get him the hand skateboards.(Mini skateboards that you use your hands to play with......they have the ramps cool decal etc for them.....I can find these at Target...much better selection...Walmart has them to but you can never find anything like that in stock for too long.)

queenofthehivemomof5
11-22-2010, 09:26:51 PM
DS1 is 15 and shares similar interests to the boy you have picked. Anything Tony Hawk or Shaun White.

Tony Hawk and Shaun White! Great ideas. I knew Tony Hawk...actually have met him back in the day when he skated at Pipeline in my home town in CA but was drawing a blank on the snowboarder guy. I will take a look at Wii games from those guys. Thanks.

We don't have Target or Game Stop so I will have to just check Walmart or maybe Hastings.

What about clothes? What would be OK for us to get a teen guy that is not too lame? I am not getting him socks. :biggrin:

Mama Stu
11-22-2010, 09:57:59 PM
As far as clothing, how about a hoodie? I have never seen a teen yet that didn't wear hoodies.

Mama Stu
11-22-2010, 09:59:52 PM
Or a stocking cap with a skateboarding logo.

queenofthehivemomof5
11-22-2010, 10:06:21 PM
Those are good ideas Mama Stu! I am sure I could find a skateboarding/snowboarding hoodie or cap.

I just found this game on Amazon for only $17.99 Amazon.com: Shaun White Snowboarding Road Trip: Nintendo Wii: Video Games (http://www.amazon.com/Shaun-White-Snowboarding-Road-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B001B1W3KM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290488713&sr=8-1) what do you guys think? Good deal? Something "cool" in the realm of teen boys?

Last year we picked a teen girl, much easier! LOL

3timesoccermom
11-22-2010, 10:18:31 PM
You might be able to find some good games at

SecondSpin.com | Browse (http://www.secondspin.com/stores/ss/games/just-in.jsp)

He might enjoy something from a local sporting goods store where they have a good selection of skateboarding stuff.

blossomed
11-23-2010, 08:46:40 AM
Did he really put socks on the list? If so I would get them - dull yes but if you don't have them. Maybe he has to change for sports and has holey ones and is embarrassed? I know a guy who gets them every year from his mom and he really likes them. He loses them throughout the year or they get yucky.

queenofthehivemomof5
11-23-2010, 09:21:32 AM
He did put socks on his list under interests....not sure if he needs socks or really is interested in them. LOL But I can easily pick up some socks for him too. Although that is so not fun. LOL

ocean_brez
11-23-2010, 10:39:44 AM
I am not sure what your budget is, but I noticed that shoes were on his list. Since it looks like he might be a skater, "skate" shoes are a sure winner. My son is a skater and since most skate shoes are made specifically for skating, they tend to last longer than regular shoes. Or at least they do around here with my son.

Our favorite "skate" shop is zappos.com. Free shipping both ways and decent prices IMO if you shop around the site a bit. :wink7:

Mens Skate Shoes (http://www.zappos.com/mens-skate-shoes~18)

blossomed
11-23-2010, 12:33:51 PM
If you collect coke codes - remember they have a nike gc deal - you could easily get shoes for pretty cheap that way.

cearhart
11-23-2010, 02:23:08 PM
My kids are on the giving tree list this year as well.. and my 13 year old son asked for jeans, I know this seems boring but today it was 16 degress he was out waiting for the bus in shorts because he has no jeans. Our work truck diel so we bought another car and monday it got hit by a dumpster in the high winds that leaves no money for jeans even if he does need them. So just to let you know sometimes they really need what they ask for....:biggrin:

momof2inohio
11-23-2010, 02:29:18 PM
My DS likes to skateboard. He likes DC or Osirus shoes. They are expensive but you can get them on sale or I am sure they have some good deals online.

For Wii games my son likes Tony Hawk, Madden 11, NCAA 11

queenofthehivemomof5
11-23-2010, 03:33:56 PM
My kids are on the giving tree list this year as well.. and my 13 year old son asked for jeans, I know this seems boring but today it was 16 degress he was out waiting for the bus in shorts because he has no jeans. Our work truck diel so we bought another car and monday it got hit by a dumpster in the high winds that leaves no money for jeans even if he does need them. So just to let you know sometimes they really need what they ask for....:biggrin:

That is very true. There are different types of giving trees however and this one is for kids who's parent (usually the mom) is escaping abuse. We have done vollenteer work at the shelter and not all the kids are actually poor and living in the shelter. Some of them are in hiding from the abusive parent. Or the parent is receiving some sort of services like counseling or legal aid. It not just for needy kids. That being said, some of the families are poor and without knowing that I will probably go with something fun like the Wii game AND something practical like a hoodie and maybe toss in some socks just to cover my bases. Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I hope that if you can afford to choose a tag from a giving/angel tree in your area that you will and help make a child's holiday a little brighter. We will go as a family and pick out the gifts for this young man because it is a great way to teach the kids to think of others and not themselves. My 13-year old already gave some suggestions too. She wanted to get him snowboarding passes at the local slopes (since she loves it herself). That would be cool but not sure if his parents have the means to get him out there to go snowboarding.

And cearhart you have a PM...let me get your boy some new jeans.

jolly321
11-23-2010, 05:04:54 PM
Anything Tony Hawk or Shaun White.

I was thinking the same thing. There is a Tony Hawk Skate Board Wii game that my son loves. I think it is called Underground Skateboard.

If you wanted to do a T-shirt you can get a Tony Hawk one.

HTH!