PDA

View Full Version : I want to train for and do a marathon

kimandkathess
11-08-2010, 06:25:06 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has been part of a
1/2 marathon (13.1 miles)
Full marathon (26.2 miles)

I want to do one or more. I have not figured out which one yet. I just know that I am interested and am gathering information and personal stories at the time. I want to know what others have gone through to train one and what they have gone through when actually running one.

Thanks for any information. All will be helpful.

~~Katrina~~

Doglover8180
11-08-2010, 07:17:13 PM
I have no knowledge about marathons - I would drop a lung if I ran around the block so I can offer nothing that will be of any useful support - but I just wanted to say that I think your personal challenge is a great one - and let me know how it turns out - I hope it goes great... good luck! :)

cintinative
11-08-2010, 07:39:10 PM
I have not, but my friend who runs is training for a marathon. I wish I knew what guide she was using. They have some on the runnersworld.com website. Here's some info on 5K/10Ks 5K and 10K Training for Runners: Runner's World (http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-238-244-259-0,00.html) I noticed they also have a training calculator--not sure how it works.

Training time will depend in part if you are starting from the couch or if you are already a seasoned runner. I have a friend that did the couch to 5K plan but never actually ran the 5K. LOL. One resource you can check is at your local running shoe store. A lot of times they have a running schedule to prepare for the local marathon (if you have one). You'll need good shoes anyway, so it's a worthwhile trip. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful!!

cintinative
11-08-2010, 07:41:23 PM
Oh, and from what my running friends have said--start with the 5K, preferably a little one so you have a better chance of placing (winning) for momentum, and work your way up. What you could do is set your goal to be a marathon a year or so out (we have one here in Cinti in May but it's really hilly!), and then run 5Ks and 10Ks in the interim to keep the momentum. You might find some running friends there too that you could run with at later races. =)

cintinative
11-08-2010, 07:43:30 PM
Okay, no more threadjacking! Here's a 5K training plan I found on that runner's world site: http://www.runnersworld.com/images/cma/beginner5k_table.jpg

RockyGap
11-08-2010, 07:53:58 PM
I've done them all - 5k ,10k,1/2 marathon and marathon.When I first started I could only run 1 time around on the high school track(1/4 mile).I slowly increased my mileage and did the 5k,10k,1/2 marathon and the marathon.

You may want to google 'running clubs" with your city and state included.
For example in Maryland there is the Howard County running club,the Westminster running club,Annapolis running club.
The clubs usually have low key races to run plus they usually have group runs you can join.

My favorite marathon was the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington D.C.The sights and the huge crowds of spectators was awesome.

Good luck to ya!!!

amys
11-08-2010, 10:06:06 PM
I dream of doing the same thing

Problem is that in addition to letting myself get out of shape, I have gained a few layers of insulation..lol

I have finally made the decision to do something about it, and a race sounds perfect!

So I am interested in the same information.

Good luck to you in your goals!!

kimandkathess
11-09-2010, 06:07:40 AM
I dream of doing the same thing

Problem is that in addition to letting myself get out of shape, I have gained a few layers of insulation..lol

I have finally made the decision to do something about it, and a race sounds perfect!

So I am interested in the same information.

Good luck to you in your goals!!

Good luck t you too amys! Are you posting in the weightloss thread? I am losing weight as well. I figure training for any of he races would help me out with that as well. I post anything I find out.

kimandkathess
11-09-2010, 06:08:40 AM
Okay, no more threadjacking! Here's a 5K training plan I found on that runner's world site: http://www.runnersworld.com/images/cma/beginner5k_table.jpg

Oh your not thread jacking! You are bing a super great help. Thanks so much!

amys
11-09-2010, 03:40:00 PM
Good luck t you too amys! Are you posting in the weightloss thread? I am losing weight as well. I figure training for any of he races would help me out with that as well. I post anything I find out.

No - I havent really been trying to lose weight, Plus, I eat right anyways - so dieting is out - I just need more activity.

lol

cintinative
11-09-2010, 05:56:21 PM
Amy--no worries--you can get there. It takes work but if you get started I think you will find after a couple weeks it will become addictive (being active) and you will miss it when you don't do it. The first step is the hardest! You hang in there!