PDA

View Full Version : Contest Favorite Thanksgiving Recipe Contest ~ 2010 **** Ended 11/26/10 10 P.M. EST **** ( Contest #2 ) ** WINNER IS momto8kiddos **

YouPdWhat
11-07-2010, 05:29:12 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l47/youpdwhat/COOKING%20-%20RECIPIES/thanksgivingrecipies.gif

Share your favorite Thanksgiving recipe for a chance to win a $15 Amazon Gift Code! The rules are very simple:

http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/images/icons/turkeytail_21301.gif Each member is allowed 1 entry / post
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/images/icons/turkeytail_21301.gif Entry must include: Title, Ingredients, Directions & # of Servings
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/images/icons/turkeytail_21301.gif Can not be a link to another site
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/images/icons/turkeytail_21301.gif Deadline for posting your recipe is 11/26/10 @ 10 P.M. EST
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/images/icons/turkeytail_21301.gif Winner will be picked using a random # generator & announced no later than the end of day on 11/30/10. NOTE: members love to exchange chit chat about the recipies so to be fair right before a number is picked all chit chat posts will be deleted & only those that contain a recipe will remain open as a qualified post.
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/images/icons/turkeytail_21301.gif All members are eligible including Mods & Super Mods
Good Luck!

Your Happy Holiday Forum Mod
YouPdWhat ( Deb )

YouPdWhat
11-08-2010, 06:51:30 AM
^

YouPdWhat
11-09-2010, 08:01:58 AM
^

YouPdWhat
11-11-2010, 06:54:24 AM
No one has a favoirte recipe? No one wants to win a $15 Amazon Gift Code?

YouPdWhat
11-11-2010, 06:55:44 AM
OK I know there are members out there that are excellent cooks. So lets see those yummy recipes. :smile:

saylormama
11-11-2010, 07:28:36 AM
I'll go first, it's not necessarily a "meal" item but more of a holiday thing my family likes to have over coffee maybe after dinner and somtimes if we get together the next day for leftovers we'll have this for "breakfast" before leftover turkey :)

Rippled Coffee Cake
(serves around 12?)

1 package (18 1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
4 eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon

ICING
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, sour cream, eggs and oil; beat well. Spread half of the batter into a greased 13x9x2-in baking pan. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Carefully spread remaining batter on top. Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Combine icing ingredients and drizzle over warm cake.

YouPdWhat
11-11-2010, 06:03:01 PM
^

ELLE-TN
11-11-2010, 07:33:01 PM
I seriously need Amazon GC's! Here's my entry even though it isn't very original and even though I'm posting way early in the game....

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie
One Flaky Pie Crust
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 cup pecan halves
1 6 oz bag semisweet chocolate chips (1 cup)

heat oven to 375
In large bowl, beat sugar, butter, corn syrup, salt and eggs with hand beater.
Stir in pecans and chocolate chips. Pour into pie shell. Cover edge of crust with 2-3 inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
Bake 40-50 minutes or until set. Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled.
8 servings.
1 serving = 640 calories from fat 320 total fat 35g saturated fat 12g
cholesterol 100mg This is too much info LOL All of which I choose to ignore!

YouPdWhat
11-12-2010, 08:03:10 AM
^

YouPdWhat
11-13-2010, 06:04:55 AM
:bump93:

TiggerToo
11-13-2010, 07:08:52 AM
Gingered Cranberry Orange Relish

This is another one of my Thanksgiving traditions. I do not like the canned cranberry sauce. I prefer to make things from scratch if at all possible so one year, coincidentally it was the same year I started making the cherry crumbled pie, I decided to make homemade cranberry sauce. This recipe is simple and very tasty.

1 bag fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
½ cup orange juice
2 tbsp ginger
1 can mandarin oranges drained
Shot of Brandy

Combine all ingredients above. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Boil uncovered for at least 5 minutes. Make sure mixture has thickened before removing from heat. Chill before serving. Serves probably about 4 - 6...depending on how big your spoonfuls are:hysterical:

ocean_brez
11-13-2010, 11:04:25 AM
Candied Sweet Potatoes
(serves 8)

8 large sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into pieces
3 cups brown sugar
1 cup water
1 cup orange juice
2 vanilla beans, split in half lengthwise
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup bourbon
1 stick butter - cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large pot, combine potatoes, sugar, water, orange juice, vanilla beans, orange zest, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Lower the heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Strain the potatoes out of the sauce and place potatoes in a casserole dish. Leave the remaining sauce in the pot.

Add bourbon to the sauce and continue to cook until sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes. When done, pour sauce over the potatoes and place in the oven. Bake until the potatoes are browned, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and add the butter, stirring gently until butter is melted and mixed through. Serve immediately.

momto8kiddos
11-13-2010, 06:21:37 PM
Grandmother Holaday’s Cornbread Stuffing Yields about 10 cups
¾ c. butter
1 ½ c. onion, chopped
1 c. celery stalks and leaves, chopped
5 c. cornbread, crumbled
3 c. white bread, cubed
1 Tbsp poultry seasoning
2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
1 lg egg
1 c.+ chicken stock

Melt butter in large frying pan. Add onions and celery. Cook until tender and beginning to color, stirring often. Add to cornbread and white bread. Sprinkle poultry seasoning and parsley on top. Toss gently. Lightly beat together egg and chicken stock. Use it to moisten the bread. Bake covered in oven in casserole dish until hot.

missmichelle01
11-13-2010, 06:33:21 PM
I have a recipe that has been passed down to me from my husband's grandmother (she's in heaven now) and honestly I don't have it written down and I wasn't taught with exact measurements. I just know what goes in and how to make it. So.... with that being said if I post the recipe, it will be to the best of my knowledge how much of each ingredient needs to be added to make it. Can I still post? I know that was probably one of the more confusing questions ever lol.

Steph0079
11-14-2010, 06:02:30 PM
We LOVE Deviled Eggs at our house and always eat them, last year we tried this recipe given to us by one of our neighbors (she said it wasn't her recipe that she got it from a cooking show) You don't cut the egg completely in half for this recipe, you fill the whole egg. It is SOOOOO Yummy....they are Ceasar Deviled Eggs. Here is the recipe.
Ingredients

1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, grated
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
12 eggs
1 to 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
1/2 small onion, grated
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups romaine lettuce, shredded

Put eggs in a saucepan and fill halfway with cold water. Set over high heat and cover the pot with a lid. When the water boils, turn off the heat and place the lid over the pot of eggs and let sit 10 minutes.
Place the pot of cooked eggs in the sink and run some cold water over the eggs until both the water and the pan feel cool. When the eggs are cool enough to handle, roll each egg on a work surface to crack the shell. Carefully peel off the eggshells and discard.

Place the eggs on a cutting board and cut a quarter off the egg from the fat rounded end to expose the yolk. Next, cut just a sliver off the opposite end, the pointed end so the egg is able to sit upright without rolling over. Once all the eggs have been cut, scoop out their yolks into a medium size mixing bowl.

Add to the bowl with the yolks add the anchovy paste, Worcestershire, mayonnaise, garlic, onion, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, lemon juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mash up the yolks with a fork until the mixture is paste-like. Mix in half of the shredded romaine, reserving the rest for garnish.

Spoon the egg mixture into a plastic, re-sealable bag and squish it all into one of the bottom corners. Snip off the corner and squeeze out a bit of yolk mixture into each of the egg whites.

Once all eggs are filled, garnish them with a sprinkle of extra cheese and some additional shredded romaine.

YouPdWhat
11-14-2010, 09:32:40 PM
I have a recipe that has been passed down to me from my husband's grandmother (she's in heaven now) and honestly I don't have it written down and I wasn't taught with exact measurements. I just know what goes in and how to make it. So.... with that being said if I post the recipe, it will be to the best of my knowledge how much of each ingredient needs to be added to make it. Can I still post? I know that was probably one of the more confusing questions ever lol.

Yes please do we would love for you to share it with us. :smile:

annielaurie_us
11-14-2010, 09:55:33 PM
Every time I make this my MIL pigs out on it.

Honey Pecan Pie
9 inch pie shell
3 eggs, beaten
2/3 c. natural honey
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. pecans, broken

Place pecans in pie shell. Mix other ingredients together and pour over nuts. Place in oven and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve with whipped topping.

*NOTE* place on a foil lined baking sheet in case of spillage

missmichelle01
11-15-2010, 09:48:32 PM
Grandma Helen's Cornbread Dressing

1 box of cornbread mix (enough for an 8x8 pan. I make 2 betty crocker pouches and that seems to be enough)
4-6 boiled eggs diced
4-6 stalks of celery chopped
1 small can of chopped olives
1 small onion diced
gizzards and heart from turkey boiled and chopped
broth from boiling the bag of gizzards, heart and neck to moisten dressing
salt & pepper to taste
powdered sage to taste (my husband is the taster :wink7: He know when it's right)

It's a very simple but delicious recipe. You can put less or more of the ingredients depending on your taste. The key ingredient is the sage.

Make the cornbread and set aside to cool. Crumble cornbread into bowl and add eggs, celery, olives, onion, gizzards and heart. Mix and then add sage and turkey stock from boiling gizzards, neck, and heart.

We put the dressing into the turkey and around it as well, but we have also made it in a separte dish. Either way turns out great.

Feeds approximately 7-10 people depending on if they go for seconds or not. We always do :wink7:

Grandma Helen came to Bakersfield from Ohklahoma during the great depression to pick cotton to make money and never left California. My husband's side of the family is very country (which I love) and this recipe has never been written down, but is always expected at every Thanksgiving. :smile: We miss her dearly and this helps us to remember her always. I know this part wasn't necessary, but I couldn't give the recipe without some of the history of the creator. :biggrin:

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

YouPdWhat
11-18-2010, 07:02:18 AM
:bump93: ing for more entries! :smile:

enitnelav
11-18-2010, 05:45:47 PM
I just love the Jimmy Dean recipe that my grandmother used.

Sausage stuffing.

Ingredients:
2 packages (16 oz) Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage
8 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
1 1/2 cup diced onion
3/4 cup diced or coarsely grated carrots
1 1/2 cup diced celery
3 cloves garlic minced
1 package (10 oz) frozen spinach thawed and drained
2 teaspoons dried rosemary
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 package (15 oz) herbed dry bread cubes (or make your own like my gram did)
2 cups chicken broth
1 egg lightly beaten

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 F.

In a large saucepan or stockpot, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery and garlic; cook 10-12 minutes or until onion is translucent, stirring frequently. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; add remaining ingredients and stir well.

Pour into a buttered 4-quart casserole. Bake covered for 60 minutes.

Serves 10

The best stuffing was from the bird though, my stomach is growling just thinking about it!

YouPdWhat
11-19-2010, 07:09:50 AM
:bump93: ing for more entries.

YouPdWhat
11-23-2010, 12:33:49 AM

leqet
11-23-2010, 08:30:32 AM
Stuffing is my favorite part of the meal. Yum! I'm making this with Udi's gluten free bread this year and I hope it is good.

Sage Stuffing

1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup butter or margerine (may sub 2 TBL Olive oil)
1 teaspoon ground sage
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/8 table salt)
8 cups dry bread cubes (use day-old bread or spread out on a cookie sheet and bake to dry if bread is too moist)
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup chicken broth or veg broth

Directions:
1. Saute onions and celery in butter or oil over medium-low heat until onions are translucent. Don't let the onions get brown.

2. Remove from heat and add sage, pepper, and salt to the onions and celery.

3. Place bread cube in a large bowl and pour onion-celery mixture over them. Mix well.

4. Pour broth over the bread cubes until desired moistness. Sprinkle with more sage if desired.

5. Stuff bird or pat down into a casserole and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Kulis
11-23-2010, 02:16:20 PM
No matter which relative hosts Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, I get to bring the cranberries. This is the most requested version, from an ancient Cooking Light magazine. I love this recipe because you don't need to be specific with any measurements, and it really does taste better if you make it a day or two in advance.

Cranberry-Apple Conserve
(yield 5 1/2 cups)

4 1/2 cups cooking apple (such as Winesap) diced
3 cups fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 teaspoons peeled grated gingeroot
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; let cool.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Cover and store in refrigerator up to 1 week.

Apennysaved
11-23-2010, 10:32:26 PM
Broccoli ~ Corn Casserole

3 C Fresh Broccoli cut into bite sized pieces (blanch for 3 min)
1 can corn drained
1 can cream corn
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 very small onion minced
4 eggs beaten
2/3 C milk
1 sleeve saltines crushed
2 tablespoons margarine melted.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine first seven ingredients and ¾ cup of saltine crumbs.
Pour into large buttered casserole dish.
Combine remaining crumbs with margarine and use to top casserole.
Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, or until firm.
Serves 8

YouPdWhat
11-25-2010, 09:56:05 PM

greenfrog57
11-25-2010, 10:08:13 PM
My Aunt Marla’s recipe for Apple Pie Serves 8

Ready made pie shell, top and bottom
6 – 8 tart apples, peeled and sliced
½ C sugar
2 T flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 T butter

Mix and combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon and mix with apples. Dump mixture into bottom crust. Dot with butter. Cover with second pie shell and add vent slits. Bake at 400° for 50 minutes.

5swans0805
11-26-2010, 03:02:43 PM
My favorite is

Snickers Salad

2 frozen Snickers Candy bars
2 Red delicious apples
1 tub Cool Whip

Take the frozen candy bars and place them in a zip lock bag and break them up with a hammer - not too small of pieces, you want a chunck in the salad. Cut the apples up into bite size pieces. Mix all together and serve! This easily serves 4 - 6. If you want to make for more, just add more apples and candy bars, and cool whip.

This really doesn't keep well, and needs to be eaten that day! What a shame! :whistle67:

YouPdWhat
11-27-2010, 05:30:34 AM
Winner will be picked using a random # generator & announced no later than the end of day on 11/30/10.

:winneris1: :misc3: momto8kiddos

:congrats77: Please PM me!

A big :thanks3: to all those who entered. Be sure to check out the other contests posted in the Holiday Forum for chances to win more Amazon Gift Codes.

YouPdWhat
11-27-2010, 05:30:34 AM
PM sent with Amazon Gift Code.

YouPdWhat
01-16-2011, 10:29:16 AM
just moving up as I am counting contests