PDA

View Full Version : RANT!! Safeway won't accept MFC on clearance items???????

Larafamily
09-15-2010, 10:37:01 AM
SORRY ITS SO LONG.

I was at my local Safeway about 1 hour ago, I found some good deals in the clearance area. I proceeded to checkout as I normally do, even the same checkout lady as I always see. But today was different. Today I found some E.P.T. pregnancy tests on clearance for $15.99 -50% off. With the $5.00/1MFC from this weekend they would have ended up at $3.00 each box with 3 tests. Well, at checkout, when the cashier scanned the 50%off sticker it beeped, needed override from manager. All continued well until the manager (male) saw the coupons in my hand and said, "YOu know you can't use coupons on ANY CLEARANCE MERCHANDISE." :hysterical: I couldnt help but laugh. ANd they I asked when did he think this changed, and he said like months ago. WHAT??????????????????????????????
In the same transaction they accepted other coupons for the other clearance merchandise......so why not these coupons?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WTF?!?!?!? I ended up paying $20.00 dollares more and ever second that passed I could feel the coupon clipper anxiety rising. You know the feeling, when you paid for something you knew you have a MFC for?????

So I checked the coupon policy that is available online and didnt read anything to this nature. Actually learned a few things that I wasnt taking advantage of. I sent an email to corporate and awaiting answer. I hope they get back to me today, BECAUSE I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone had this problem??? What should I do? I was so loving my Safeway because hardly anyone is ever there and I love the clearance area. I am so disappointed and actually mourning the loss of a great store......:sad3:

will let you know what they say...

tealover
09-15-2010, 11:27:03 AM
I think you did the right thing by contacting corporate, see what they have to say. Unfortunately some of the time it seems the reply is that the store manager can do whatever they want (even going against the coupon policy listed online), in that case ask the area manager to contact you and see if he is any help.

Larafamily
09-15-2010, 11:29:36 AM
I think you did the right thing by contacting corporate, see what they have to say. Unfortunately some of the time it seems the reply is that the store manager can do whatever they want (even going against the coupon policy listed online), in that case ask the area manager to contact you and see if he is any help.

Thanks. I am hopeful that something will be done and I get my $20.00 back. If not, I will return all the stuff I bought and make it clear it is because the "change" in coupon policy. If this is the case, I dont think I will be as fond of Safeway anymore.....

brokenomore
09-15-2010, 12:01:17 PM
I had a cashier tell me that I couldn't use q's on clearance merchandise before too. However, I insisted that was not the case (done it thousands of times before). A manager was called over who agreed I could use q on clearance merchandise. Hopefully corporate will provide you with some concrete information to take back to your store. Good Luck!

Cynthiabutterfly
09-15-2010, 01:48:22 PM
The 1/2 off stickers are a store coupon, I've never had an issue with using mfr coupons too. Sorry I don't know what the official policy is though.

Larafamily
09-15-2010, 05:27:33 PM
The 1/2 off stickers are a store coupon, I've never had an issue with using mfr coupons too. Sorry I don't know what the official policy is though.

That is what I thought! I have never ever ever had a problem before today. The register doesn't beep and nothing come up out of the ordinary. You know the funny thing, while I was being lectured about my coupon usage, the cashier was scanning my coupons for the OTHER 4 CLEARANCE items that I got....can anyone explain this contradiction!?!?!!!! :hysterical: I could have called him on it, but decided that I might forget I'm a Christian momentarily...jajajaja!!!

jessica

n2save
09-15-2010, 10:47:14 PM
Well all i can tell you is - i hate going to safeway , only put up with them and their constantly " new policies " which they make up as they go ( by they i mean every store employee individually- every day there's something new !) and i can feel your blood boiling- cause i go through the same every single time i go to safeway- happened to me just 3 days ago - same thing..

The only thing i can think of why the thing was beeping- maybe cause the coupon was higher than the end-total of the item ? Don't know.. if that makes sense but .. who knows..

I get sometimes crappy attitude at fry's too, but there atlease i feel i have a place to go to " complain " the managers listen and take care of things- at safeway i feel like that they are all " one big " group and doesn't help to complain since they all cover each other .. i hope you get your money back- and if not just return the stuff.. and you get your money back either way :) but they loose a good customer cause of a stupid cashier

Larafamily
09-16-2010, 08:22:20 AM
will let you know what they say...

Here is what corporate sent my last night...

"Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding your local Safeway store.

You commented on the quality of customer service provided by our Manager at the store in relation to the acceptance of coupons on advertised items. You also stated that you wish to be reimbursed for the face value of the coupons. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you have encountered. Safeway continually strives for the highest quality of customer service and a positive shopping environment.

Further, please note that we are not able to send out reimbursements from the Customer Service Center. Any form of refund, adjustment, credit, or compensation must be done at the store. We request that you please return to the store at your earliest convenience with your receipt and speak with the Store Manager, who will work to satisfy you.

In the meantime, we will forward your comments to the Store Manager for review.

Furthermore, for your convenience, our coupon policy is provided below:..."

So what do you all think? I hardly couldnt sleep thinking about my $20.00!!! So, I will pack up the kids and head over there now, and see what happens. I hope its not the same manager. I will check back with the results...wish me luck!:wink7:

tealover
09-16-2010, 10:48:51 AM
Doesn't sound like a great response, go and talk to the manager that you already talked to and here's the policy that you already knew! Would it have killed them to say "you should be allowed to use a coupon on a clearance item"? I guess then they would have actually had to read the question that you asked!

Cynthiabutterfly
09-16-2010, 11:20:36 AM
To be honest, if I were you I'd go back and if they refused to take my coupons then I would return the merchandise (assuming you haven't opened or used it).

It is a rare deal that I will take if they refuse my coupon.

ladyeeyore7
09-17-2010, 09:32:59 AM
I had the most awesome safeway manager who is very helpful and always ready to answer my questions. He basically told me if it's not in the coupon policy then it's allowed. We have several hard core couponers who shopped my store so it was necessary for him to get corporate feedback on what we can and can't do. Safeway - coupons policy (http://www.safeway.com/ifl/grocery/Coupons-Policy)

Please note #5. Clearance items are "discounted items". This policy was just updated on 9/2010 see bottom of page. hth

I always print out coupon policies and my e-coupons list just in case there is a problem.

irish_molly
09-21-2010, 10:10:46 AM
I'm sorry they tried to do this. There isn't any reason that you can't use coupons on clearance at Safeway or anywhere else. I would call the store manager and discuss your options...he or she should offer to return and rering with coupons.

smash
09-21-2010, 04:55:55 PM
I thought this was a nationwide thing. No matter what cashier I go to at my Safeway, whenever I try to use a coupon on a clearance item they never let me.

jeweltea
09-21-2010, 07:13:10 PM
We have several Safeway stores in our area. Some will let me use coupons on clearance items and some will not - even some cashiers in the same store are different. I generally do not buy much at Safeway anymore - too tired to play their games.

irish_molly
09-21-2010, 07:20:02 PM
I used coupons and EQ's on clearance Progresso soup tonight. The store manager was the one who rang me up (they were super busy!), and she didn't bat an eye. I never used to have a problem with it when I shopped Dominicks in Chicago, either...even on the expireds (which Dom's does take). It all sounds very YMMV, depending on the store.

Here is the official Safeway Coupon Policy (http://www.safeway.com/ifl/Grocery/Coupons-Policy), from their site. It doesn't say anything at all about them not accepting MQ's on clearance items, just that you can't use them on a "free" BOGO item, and that your total can't be below zero. I would recommend printing this out and taking it into the store(s) causing a fuss, and making them point out to you where it says you can't do it...according to their policy, you absolutely should be able to. HTH!!!

snglbby
10-03-2010, 01:19:06 PM
I love my SW manager! I've never had a single problem with him. I have had problems with the previous managers, but not him! I use coupons on clearanced items all the time with no problems at all. In fact, I am about to go use some for some free toothbrushes today!

snglbby
10-03-2010, 03:09:27 PM
My scenario worked with coupons on clearanced items.

harolds8
10-05-2010, 01:49:21 PM
i had a problem a couple months ago using the free produce and milk coupons when you buy kellogs cereal...anyway i called corporate and the lady was so nice and so helpful and she actually called the store and spoke to them and i was able to go back in and get my $ back for the coupons they didn't take the night before...it's a shame that all cashiers and managers aren't better schooled on couponing, but sometimes you just have to go above their head :dontknow1: