PDA

View Full Version : No frivolous spending starting now!

CouponClipper15
04-27-2010, 07:08:00 PM
I've come to the realization that every time I get a paycheck I run out after work and start shopping. I buy clothes, makeup, great deals at Walgreen's and CVS Pharmacy. I'm now fully stocked up on shampoos, conditioners, fragrance mists, perfumes, body washes, cold medicine, aspirin, eyeshadow, etc.
So from this day forward, I'll only use my money towards my gym membership (I'm free in July), student loan, gas, food, and maybe the occasional book.

tiggleme1
04-28-2010, 03:40:15 AM
and to save even more, go to Goodwill and browse the book section. Some of my best reads have come from Goodwill.

kval07
04-28-2010, 03:45:59 AM
Nice goal!

I do think that you are much more likely to succeed though if you give your self a little wiggle room. Why not budget, say, $10 from each paycheck to use as you please for little things (like shopping at CVS or whatever). Totally depriving yourself will make it a lot harder.

Cynthiabutterfly
04-28-2010, 07:02:57 AM
Good luck. I've been there and know how hard it can be.

lmcconne
04-28-2010, 08:31:35 AM
I say schedule another (low or no-cost) activity to take your mind off the pull to shop for recreation. Shopping can be an "addiction" to some people, just for the adrenaline rush. I, on the other hand, can shop for hours (while on vacation) and not buy a thing.

Also, it might help to analyze the why of shopping.

In the end, it's all about self control and doing what's good for you and your financial well-being, now and in the future. I bless my mother for the gift of not spending.

$Saving!
04-28-2010, 09:11:54 AM
Set yourself up a budget on a spreadsheet.

First priorities are bills, and budget realistically on those items, even if you have to estimate because some are not fixed monthly costs.

Then, with what is left, budget the second tier of items you want.

Most would have a line item for 'savings' and that gets peeled off and put into savings not to be touched unless it's a financial emergency.

Then you will find how much of your pay is not appropriated to any expenses.

Either bump up your savings with some of it but ALWAYS give yourself pocket money, otherwise work is just for existence and not for any fun.

Even if it's a minimal amount, it's in your wallet to spend as you please.

Once you get in the habit of living with a budget, you'll be amazed at how much further along you will be a year from now:smile:

We don't realize how money runs through our hands until you literally have a budget you can SEE and you enter money spent in that budget.

If you want to have some fun, take a small notebook with you every day for just two weeks, write down literally, every penny you spend and what you spent it on.

At the end of that two weeks take a real look at how much money disappears on silly expenses like a drive through drink or lunch or snack, or all the other things that zap money into thin air.

We did that prior to getting married, saving for a down payment on a new home. We were shocked at the money that equaled per month! We drew up a budget and it wasn't hard to live on at all! And it made us think about every dollar beyond what it was and instead, what it COULD be :biggrin:

CouponClipper15
04-28-2010, 04:12:43 PM
and to save even more, go to Goodwill and browse the book section. Some of my best reads have come from Goodwill.

I don't have a Goodwill store close by me. :(
I'll probably browse Barnes & Noble for books that look interesting and then go online to my local library's website and request the books there. :biggrin:
But for books I want to add to my collection, I'll probably buy from Barnes & Noble since I'm a member there now.

CouponClipper15
04-28-2010, 04:14:38 PM
Nice goal!

I do think that you are much more likely to succeed though if you give your self a little wiggle room. Why not budget, say, $10 from each paycheck to use as you please for little things (like shopping at CVS or whatever). Totally depriving yourself will make it a lot harder.

Good idea! Thank you! :BigHand:

CouponClipper15
04-28-2010, 04:20:06 PM
I say schedule another (low or no-cost) activity to take your mind off the pull to shop for recreation. Shopping can be an "addiction" to some people, just for the adrenaline rush. I, on the other hand, can shop for hours (while on vacation) and not buy a thing.

Also, it might help to analyze the why of shopping.

In the end, it's all about self control and doing what's good for you and your financial well-being, now and in the future. I bless my mother for the gift of not spending.

It's hard to not shop when you work in a popular retail store that sells many nice things and gives you a nice discount to buy their nice things, but I think I have the willpower to say no. Just yesterday, I tried on some clothes at my store that were cute, but I thought hard and decided I didn't need them. I think if I needed a different outlet I'd probably read a book or go to the gym. Thanks for the tip!

CouponClipper15
04-28-2010, 04:25:20 PM
Set yourself up a budget on a spreadsheet.

First priorities are bills, and budget realistically on those items, even if you have to estimate because some are not fixed monthly costs.

Then, with what is left, budget the second tier of items you want.

Most would have a line item for 'savings' and that gets peeled off and put into savings not to be touched unless it's a financial emergency.

Then you will find how much of your pay is not appropriated to any expenses.

Either bump up your savings with some of it but ALWAYS give yourself pocket money, otherwise work is just for existence and not for any fun.

Even if it's a minimal amount, it's in your wallet to spend as you please.

Once you get in the habit of living with a budget, you'll be amazed at how much further along you will be a year from now:smile:

We don't realize how money runs through our hands until you literally have a budget you can SEE and you enter money spent in that budget.

If you want to have some fun, take a small notebook with you every day for just two weeks, write down literally, every penny you spend and what you spent it on.

At the end of that two weeks take a real look at how much money disappears on silly expenses like a drive through drink or lunch or snack, or all the other things that zap money into thin air.

We did that prior to getting married, saving for a down payment on a new home. We were shocked at the money that equaled per month! We drew up a budget and it wasn't hard to live on at all! And it made us think about every dollar beyond what it was and instead, what it COULD be :biggrin:

Good idea. Luckily, the only bills I have are my gym membership, student loan, and the water bill. My fiance takes care of the rest.
The notebook thing does sound like a good idea. I know my fiance and I eat out too much. Maybe if he and I both kept notebooks, he could see that we're wasting money going out to eat everyday.

CouponClipper15
04-28-2010, 04:25:54 PM
Good luck. I've been there and know how hard it can be.

Thanks!

CouponClipper15
04-29-2010, 10:06:57 PM
I bought something today. I bought my mom her Mother's Day gift. I think that's acceptable. I was tempted to buy other things, but I held off. :biggrin:

VivaciousJewelz
05-24-2010, 06:18:46 PM
I've come to the realization that every time I get a paycheck I run out after work and start shopping. I buy clothes, makeup, great deals at Walgreen's and CVS Pharmacy. I'm now fully stocked up on shampoos, conditioners, fragrance mists, perfumes, body washes, cold medicine, aspirin, eyeshadow, etc.
So from this day forward, I'll only use my money towards my gym membership (I'm free in July), student loan, gas, food, and maybe the occasional book.

We must be twins separated at birth!! I do the SAME thing, even when I SAY that I'm only going to buy necessities and save the rest!