PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Savings Challenge!

Pages : [1] 2

VivaciousJewelz
02-01-2010, 10:05:52 AM
Even though I'm a month late, I want to start a 2010 challenge.

This is not a thread about "saving money" in the sense that we use coupons to save money. This is about actually setting aside money (specific dollar amounts) for savings, whether you put it in a savings account or cut a hole in your mattress.:giggle2:

My target amount is $5000 for the year.

Does anyone want to join me for a savings goal? You can want to save any amount for any reason (i.e. $1000 to go on vacation, $5000 to go back to school, etc), but I need people to help keep me accountable and remind me of why I am saving!

Snookibear
02-01-2010, 08:53:37 PM
Oh my goodness - congratulations!

lauramama2
02-01-2010, 09:57:06 PM
First off congrats!!!

I will jump in with you. Our finances stink but I NEED to save for our home owners insurance and Property taxes this year so we don't have to deal with it all at once again this year. I need to put away $100/month for that.

I also need to put $100/month away for getting my stepson down here. We haven't figured out yet whether it will be April or July, but either way I want to put away $100/month all year for that purpose only taking from it for his visits.

On top of that I want to put away $100/month for emergency's. I am so sick of not having an emergency fund. Its not like the emergency's don't come if you aren't prepared!

So that is $300/month. If I can stick to my new shopping budget it should be doable! I'm gonna need butt kicking too though :giggle2:

Plus I would like to stick away $3000 of our tax return and KEEP IT THERE :hysterical: We will see how that goes.

So from Feb-Dec the goal is to save $6600 total minus my stepsons travel (probably $600) so I am going to set my goal total at $6000 by Dec 31st.

Do you think that's confusing enough lol.

nateNnatsmommy
02-01-2010, 10:49:10 PM
Julie, this is perfect! I've already set/started my goal - in my siggy.

I really want to move to a bigger house soon. We've got about 50% equity in our house now, but it needs alot of work done on it. Right now we're paying for 50% of the fix up costs out of our current savings, and the other 50% is coming out of my paychecks. DH is contractor by trade, but a SAHD right now, so we're usiing this time for him to do all of the work.

So, my savings goal is to replace the money we're taking from savings, and to start to build up even more that will hopefully be a downpayment on a new house.

My goal for the year is $12,696.40. So far this year I have socked away $3,248.71. We should be getting our tax return soon, and it's alot - this will all go into savings also (I didn't adjust very well when Dh stopped working :whistle67:)

Thanks for this Julie, it's nice to share this goal with others!!!

MoneySavinDiva
02-03-2010, 11:51:25 AM
I don't have a huge goal. We are planning on putting our tax refund and 1st time homebuyers tax credit into savings, which will give us a nice padding -- and has freed up our "extra" money from paychecks to go towards my other goal of getting hubs' Harley paid off by December (that's a hefty goal in and of itself). But I would really like to still contribute to our savings each month...so for right now I'm going to shoot for $50 a month into savings.

Looking forward to working towards our goals together and keeping each other on track :BigHand:

jenrose
02-03-2010, 12:16:47 PM
Ya know what, I think I NEED to do this. DH has a huge spending habit so for me to actually get a savings built up I have to do it without him knowing it's there. Luckily we have seperate bank accounts. I will however have to start small. So my goal will be to just start by putting $50 a month into savings and not tell DH. :whistle67: I only work part time and the $$ will have to be out of my checks so thus the reason it is so small. :wink7: But every little bit helps right.

MoneySavinDiva
02-03-2010, 12:36:43 PM
Ya know what, I think I NEED to do this. DH has a huge spending habit so for me to actually get a savings built up I have to do it without him knowing it's there. Luckily we have seperate bank accounts. I will however have to start small. So my goal will be to just start by putting $50 a month into savings and not tell DH. :whistle67: I only work part time and the $$ will have to be out of my checks so thus the reason it is so small. :wink7: But every little bit helps right.

:giggle2: This just cracks me up! The things we have to hide from our dh's to get somewhere financially :rolleyes24: I feel your pain girl...my hubs is a huge spender too!

jenrose
02-03-2010, 12:38:35 PM
:giggle2: This just cracks me up! The things we have to hide from our dh's to get somewhere financially :rolleyes24: I feel your pain girl...my hubs is a huge spender too!

I coupon so he can play! He always finds such GOOD DEALS that he couldn't possibly pass one up. :rolleyes24:

nateNnatsmommy
02-03-2010, 12:40:32 PM
What are your DHs's spending weaknesses?

jenrose
02-03-2010, 12:46:06 PM

That would be a book. :hysterical:

But his big thing is he buys Snowmobiles, trailers and quads when someone is selling them for dirt cheap then either resells them or parts them out to make money on them. The problem with this is he takes money off a line of credit to fund them and sometimes it is several months before he actually sells them.

He also goes snowmobiling often (every weekend on a good snow year but not that much this year since the snow pack is low) and in the Summer we take a few quad trips. Plus he takes leftovers to work for lunch then goes out to eat instead. Also has to have lots of cool accessories to add to his sled and quad.

He also has an obsession with 0% financing so we have payments to make every month that we may not be paying interest on but we still have the payment to make every month.

I could go on but you get the idea. :wink7:

Wow, I wasn't trying to turn this into a DH vent. :whistle67:

manders13
02-03-2010, 12:50:39 PM
I'm in! I would <3 <3 <3 to go back to the beach in September.

Right now my goal (has been) $300 a month in savings. BUT for january it hasn't happend. Here's to hoping Febuary is better!!

Next wed. i know $75 will go in...

frugalstafar
02-03-2010, 01:33:23 PM
I'm in but its a short-termed goal to have $2000 by March 27th when we leave for vacation. I am at $325.00 right now; I plan on using my rebates, spare money that comes in,recycling,overage from my grocery budget,silver change (no pennies), consignment sales, auction house sales.

puakinikini
02-03-2010, 01:39:46 PM
Julie - Congratulations!

I need to get in on this too - tax nightmare - I have already posted my woes in hotunderthecollar. Ugh! I am gettign a second opinion this week on taxes, so I will know what I need to have saved by April 15. I know already I will probably not be able to get all of it, but this can help me get as far as I can. I will post when I know the total amount.

jaelyns_mommy
02-03-2010, 03:55:03 PM
congrats on your little secret :) :) Im saving up for a new car. I posted in my blog about a new savings plan and I guess I can try to put an extra $50/month. I'm getting back $7k this year from backpay of SSI and the money I save will add onto that. I might end up getting a chevy colbalt instead of my dream baby. After I get my car, I'll have to save up to pay back student loans, then eventually a new place to live. Ok I'm getting ahead of myself, one thing at a time Jen. Good luck everyone with savings and your SO's spending sprees.

MoneySavinDiva
02-03-2010, 06:07:22 PM
I coupon so he can play! He always finds such GOOD DEALS that he couldn't possibly pass one up. :rolleyes24:

That's exactly the line I get fed too :giggle2:

Hubs went to school for motorcycle mechanics...so his weakness is first his Harley, which it seems always needs a new part somewhere...just bought a new seat that it just HAD TO HAVE last week....:rolleyes24: After his Harley is snowmobiles...and then just spending in general...magazines (motorcycle magazines are EXPENSIVE!!!) and whatnot...and now he wants to start buying junker mortorcycles and snowmobiles, fix them up and turn around to sell them...

I'm trying to put a curb on his spending, and I'll give him credit, he's doing better. Now I just have to get him TOTALLY on board with frugal strategies at home, etc., etc....

amylynne01
02-03-2010, 06:32:38 PM
I'll play along. :)

I'm saving up for a trip to Disney next January. I want to save $3000 in one year by taking no money from hubby's paycheck. I got inspired from a blog I read - the author is doing the same thing. I plan on saving money by:

-doing online surveys/rebates
-selling on eBay/CL/consignment
-trading for pp
-saving change/recycling/found money
-using swagbucks for pp
-saving bank credit for using debit card and interest on my checking account

My status is in my siggy. To reach $3000, I need to save $250 a month. I am ahead of my goal, but I started out with a little savings left over from last year. We need to meet Mickey Mouse!!

ETA: Our taxes are being used to pay off our credit cards (thank goodness!). The rest will be put into our emergency fund. So that money is already spoken for.

jenrose
02-03-2010, 07:13:52 PM
That's exactly the line I get fed too :giggle2:

Hubs went to school for motorcycle mechanics...so his weakness is first his Harley, which it seems always needs a new part somewhere...just bought a new seat that it just HAD TO HAVE last week....:rolleyes24: After his Harley is snowmobiles...and then just spending in general...magazines (motorcycle magazines are EXPENSIVE!!!) and whatnot...and now he wants to start buying junker mortorcycles and snowmobiles, fix them up and turn around to sell them...

I'm trying to put a curb on his spending, and I'll give him credit, he's doing better. Now I just have to get him TOTALLY on board with frugal strategies at home, etc., etc....

It must be a mechanic thing. DH is an automotive mechanic. :rolleyes24:

VivaciousJewelz
02-04-2010, 07:52:03 AM
Yay, welcome everyone!! Maybe I should do totals in the OP like Cody does for the stockpile challenge? What do you guys think?

And I have a DH who likes to spend money too- on video games and car stuff. What did I do? Made him a SAHD and I now control all the money. Muah ha ha haa haaaaa :evil9: :hysterical:

frugalstafar
02-04-2010, 04:52:48 PM
Updating my total I am now at $364.00 after a trip to get my consignment money, a rebate check and some coins I counted.
:hysterical: Only $1636.00 to go!!!:hysterical:

nateNnatsmommy
02-04-2010, 05:06:44 PM
I've been tempted to start a poll thread, now I'm curious who controls the money in most households.

Yay, welcome everyone!! Maybe I should do totals in the OP like Cody does for the stockpile challenge? What do you guys think?

And I have a DH who likes to spend money too- on video games and car stuff. What did I do? Made him a SAHD and I now control all the money. Muah ha ha haa haaaaa :evil9: :hysterical:

lauramama2
02-04-2010, 06:14:56 PM
Well, my savings goals just went out the window. My car is dead (as in engine dead) so I have to adjust everything to try to solve that problem. I'll get back to y'all when I figure it out.

First off congrats!!!

I will jump in with you. Our finances stink but I NEED to save for our home owners insurance and Property taxes this year so we don't have to deal with it all at once again this year. I need to put away $100/month for that.

I also need to put $100/month away for getting my stepson down here. We haven't figured out yet whether it will be April or July, but either way I want to put away $100/month all year for that purpose only taking from it for his visits.

On top of that I want to put away $100/month for emergency's. I am so sick of not having an emergency fund. Its not like the emergency's don't come if you aren't prepared!

So that is $300/month. If I can stick to my new shopping budget it should be doable! I'm gonna need butt kicking too though :giggle2:

Plus I would like to stick away $3000 of our tax return and KEEP IT THERE :hysterical: We will see how that goes.

So from Feb-Dec the goal is to save $6600 total minus my stepsons travel (probably $600) so I am going to set my goal total at $6000 by Dec 31st.

pkchicken
02-04-2010, 10:17:10 PM
Oh Man!
When things get really bad, we eat oatmeal, grits and black eye'd peas.

Not very exciting buy it's nutrition and it'll keep ya healthy.

@ years ago when my cholesterol was bad I went to the oatmeal and black eyed peas thing and after 2 months my blood levels went back to normal. I also lost 10lb durring that time.

Just sayin....

'whatever it takes'

pk

VivaciousJewelz
02-07-2010, 02:38:18 PM
Well, as some of you know, I spent last week in the hospital for some gallbladder issues and some things resulting from that. As a result of complications, I lost the baby. :sad: However, I am determined to stick with my goal of saving especially now that all of you have stopped by my thread and made me feel special. :smile:

MoneySavinDiva
02-07-2010, 02:38:19 PM
So far for February I have added $52.50!! :BigHand: I had a rebate check come in, and those go straight to savings and we had a little extra leftover from our paycheck due to hubs working some extra overtime, so I took the full $50 for the month and put it in! It'll be nice if I can get extra in this month in case I fall short in a coming month...which is highly likely with baby due in May...

jaelyns_mommy
02-07-2010, 03:33:20 PM
I'm so sorry for your lost :sad: hugs from me and Jaelyn :grouphug:

Well, as some of you know, I spent last week in the hospital for some gallbladder issues and some things resulting from that. As a result of complications, I lost the baby. :sad: However, I am determined to stick with my goal of saving especially now that all of you have stopped by my thread and made me feel special. :smile:

MoneySavinDiva
02-07-2010, 03:55:56 PM

:hug19: I'm so sorry for your loss, you are in my prayers!!

foodie
02-07-2010, 04:16:55 PM
Julie--

Sorry to hear about your loss. I had a miscarriage between my quads and twins several years ago. Our prayers are with you.

Foodie:smile:

cupunlvr
02-07-2010, 04:54:28 PM
So sorry for your loss, I admire you financial determination in spite of everything you are going through! Keep your chin up and hope you are feeling better soon.

VivaciousJewelz
02-07-2010, 04:56:45 PM
I've been tempted to start a poll thread, now I'm curious who controls the money in most households.

I'm so sorry for your lost :sad: hugs from me and Jaelyn :grouphug:

:hug19: I'm so sorry for your loss, you are in my prayers!!

Julie--

Sorry to hear about your loss. I had a miscarriage between my quads and twins several years ago. Our prayers are with you.

Foodie:smile:

So sorry for your loss, I admire you financial determination in spite of everything you are going through! Keep your chin up and hope you are feeling better soon.

Thank you all. You guys are a big part of helping me through everything that's been happening the last few months.

I'm still excited to see how much I can save this year, and maybe in a few months we'll have another little bundle to save for.

jenrose
02-07-2010, 10:01:17 PM

Sorry for your sad news and now you will have a little more time to save for your time off. A little less stress for you for your savings goal. I hope everything goes well so you can try again soon. That is a very hard thing to go thru (I have had one myself).

amylynne01
02-08-2010, 05:03:08 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that. :sad: I'll be thinking of you and your family. I hope that you do stick with this thread because it is helping me feel accountable for my savings too. So thank you for that.

frugalstafar
02-08-2010, 06:14:15 AM

I am so sorry to hear this-please rest and get better.

VivaciousJewelz
02-08-2010, 07:13:22 AM
Thanks guys and I will absolutely stick to this thread. I wouldn't abandon you guys!

amylynne01
02-08-2010, 10:18:06 AM
I'm saving up for a trip to Disney next January. I want to save $3000 in one year by taking no money from hubby's paycheck.

I just made a deposit of 48.51 into the vacation fund.
21 from coins
2.50 from rebate
14 from found money
4.60 from debit card credit (.10 for every time I use it)
3.38 from checking acct interest
3.03 from selling at half.com

I was at 19.6% of goal, and now I'm at 21.2% :BigHand:

VivaciousJewelz
02-08-2010, 10:19:28 AM
Yay Amy!!

frugalstafar
02-10-2010, 11:39:14 AM
SOOOOOOOOO bored-snowed in again!!! I decided to count the silver coins in my change jar cause I have nothing but laundry to do and I have added $83 to my fund bringing my grand total to $447~~~~~~~now only $1553 to go!!!

VivaciousJewelz
02-10-2010, 12:01:45 PM
SOOOOOOOOO bored-snowed in again!!! I decided to count the silver coins in my change jar cause I have nothing but laundry to do and I have added $83 to my fund bringing my grand total to $447~~~~~~~now only $1553 to go!!!

Is your avatar a picture of your house? It's very pretty. :smile:

nateNnatsmommy
02-10-2010, 02:06:31 PM
Dh's Grandmother passed away late last year - He received a check for $3070 - his share of the balance in her checking account after the last of her bills were paid. This was added to savings. Now have $6318.71 added this year.

frugalstafar
02-10-2010, 03:33:40 PM
Is your avatar a picture of your house? It's very pretty. :smile:

Yes thats my house in the first snow storm, right now you can't see it from this blizzard!!! thanks!!

amylynne01
02-10-2010, 04:12:58 PM
Dh's Grandmother passed away late last year - He received a check for $3070 - his share of the balance in her checking account after the last of her bills were paid. This was added to savings. Now have $6318.71 added this year.

Awesome! :BigHand:

(Well, not awesome that his grandmother died, but awesome that you were able to add that to savings. You know what I mean.)

nateNnatsmommy
02-12-2010, 08:51:17 AM
Big day today - Payday, and received our tax return. :BigHand:

So, between ALL of the tax return, and OVER HALF of my paycheck, I just moved $4646.59 more to savings! :BigHand:

This puts me at $10,965.30 already!

In light of this and some unexpected graces, I'm bumping my goal up to $18,373.86 - can I do it??:whistle67:

jenrose
02-12-2010, 09:57:34 AM

So, between ALL of the tax return, and OVER HALF of my paycheck, I just moved $4646.59 more to savings! :BigHand:

In light of this and some unexpected graces, I'm bumping my goal up to $18,373.86 - can I do it??:whistle67:

Man, I need to get started on my taxes. That was fast to get yours back already!!!!

VivaciousJewelz
02-12-2010, 10:37:38 AM
I got mine back, too, but unfortunately most is going to the move and new apartment. But way to go, NateNnatsmommy! I'd rep but I've gotta spread the love, lol.

jaelyns_mommy
02-12-2010, 10:49:19 AM
:encourage15:Wow good job!!! I dont think you'll have a problem adding another $7 grand :)

nateNnatsmommy
02-12-2010, 10:52:18 AM
It took about 3 weeks to get it back, I think? There were alot of pleasant surprises that came with switching to one income last year - I was able to efile and qualified for the EIC (just barely after pre-tax deductions) - hadn't been able to do either of these things in prior years.

Of course, I hadn't properly adjusted my withholding after the change, so I was paying WAY too much taxes to begin with (I've since adjusted better)

Man, I need to get started on my taxes. That was fast to get yours back already!!!!

amylynne01
02-16-2010, 05:57:44 PM
How is everyone doing?

MoneySavinDiva
02-18-2010, 11:18:26 AM
I added another $10 to savings last week...got a rebate check in the mail and they go straight to savings. So that puts me at $62.50 in savings for the month :BigHand:Only $437.50 to go before December...I'm pretty confident we can do it!

We did get one of our tax returns in the mail two days ago...and that went into savings as well...but I'm not counting it in this challenge because my ultimate goal for this $50/month here is to add $50 of "snowflaked" money to savings each month (rebates, survey checks, etc., etc.)

amylynne01
02-18-2010, 11:24:54 AM
I added another $10 to savings last week...got a rebate check in the mail and they go straight to savings. So that puts me at $62.50 in savings for the month :BigHand:Only $437.50 to go before December...I'm pretty confident we can do it!

We did get one of our tax returns in the mail two days ago...and that went into savings as well...but I'm not counting it in this challenge because my ultimate goal for this $50/month here is to add $50 of "snowflaked" money to savings each month (rebates, survey checks, etc., etc.)

Awesome!

I have three checks and some cash that I have to get to the bank. Until it's actually in my account, I'm not counting it. So stay tuned for an update from me!

jaelyns_mommy
02-18-2010, 12:18:34 PM
Im doing good. So far with saving from q's I have $88. I cant wait til next month when I get one of my lump checks back :) Then I changed my spending amount to $160/month, well after the cable bill. If I stick to that then hopefully I'll see my savings go up even more :) How are you doing??

How is everyone doing?

nateNnatsmommy
02-18-2010, 12:21:27 PM
Awesome! I've never heard the term "snowflaked" money before, where's that from?

amylynne01
02-18-2010, 02:08:05 PM
I deposited 47.99 today (11.99 and 10.00 rebates, 21 from surveys, 5 found money). Now at 22.8% of goal!

If I can deposit $50 a week for the rest of the year, I will be just $150 short of my goal. I think I can do that.

MoneySavinDiva
02-18-2010, 05:35:03 PM
Awesome! I've never heard the term "snowflaked" money before, where's that from?

I *think* it's Dave Ramsey...I could be wrong though. I've heard it mentioned around the blogosphere...

amylynne01
02-19-2010, 12:39:01 PM
It's been a good week. Just got $10 pp from a survey site and $5 from swagbucks, all going to the Disney fund.Almost $700 saved and 23.2% of goal!

VivaciousJewelz
02-20-2010, 12:01:44 PM

I thought it was "snowballed"? Maybe I'm wrong.

Guys, I'll be MIA this week but I haven't abandoned this thread!

MoneySavinDiva
02-20-2010, 02:22:24 PM
I thought it was "snowballed"? Maybe I'm wrong.

Guys, I'll be MIA this week but I haven't abandoned this thread!

There is the term snowballed out there...but it's not what I'm looking for. I've heard snowflaked used in reference to the little bits and pieces of money that you bring in here and there that aren't counted on income. So for me that is survey checks, rebate checks, consignment checks, etc. because it wasn't income we were counting on getting and so it's little "snowflakes" that come in and get added to the "snowball"....

cjpsmom
02-20-2010, 05:15:09 PM
:wavehi:Can I get in on this?? This is a GREAT idea! I hope this will get me to actually set some money back. I don't have a set amount to save but I do want to set a small lump to the side for "what if". I have already started saving as of Feb 1st I cashed part of some rolled change that I never seemed to get to..$320. I still have more to cash and more to roll for cashing. We've always had the habit of not spending our change, it just goes in a basket. When it gets full I roll it. We have in the past used this money for vacations, bills, new toy, etc but this time I have plans for it.
I think I will also start putting my rebate checks towards this also instead of adding them back to my budget. Maybe by the end of the weekend I'll have more to add to the kitty.
Thanks for letting me join (if you do let me :giggle2:).

jenrose
02-20-2010, 05:59:13 PM
:wavehi:Can I get in on this?? This is a GREAT idea! I hope this will get me to actually set some money back. I don't have a set amount to save but I do want to set a small lump to the side for "what if". I have already started saving as of Feb 1st I cashed part of some rolled change that I never seemed to get to..$320. I still have more to cash and more to roll for cashing. We've always had the habit of not spending our change, it just goes in a basket. When it gets full I roll it. We have in the past used this money for vacations, bills, new toy, etc but this time I have plans for it.
I think I will also start putting my rebate checks towards this also instead of adding them back to my budget. Maybe by the end of the weekend I'll have more to add to the kitty.

Uh oh, here comes the stalker. :giggle2:

And I think I know what your 'plan' is. :whistle67:

MoneySavinDiva
02-20-2010, 06:40:05 PM

Glad to have ya!! :BigHand:

MoneySavinDiva
02-20-2010, 06:53:58 PM

I wanna knoooowww (said in best whiny voice :whistle67:)

:giggle2:

cjpsmom
02-20-2010, 07:29:45 PM

I thought you had a headache??:wink7:

VivaciousJewelz
02-21-2010, 06:23:09 AM
Anyone is welcome to join at anytime! :)

lauramama2
02-21-2010, 10:37:40 AM

OK, as I said the above goal went out the window with my car crapping out on me, I dont have everything completely figured out but I wanted to check in and I will update my goal again if I am able to up it.

So as of now the $3000 from my tax return that was supposed to go away had to go to a vehicle. Another $2000 of the return is set aside for home repairs, I am hoping to skim off of this to get a little bonus into savings but until we can get into the project I wont know.

So for now I am down to the $300/mo goal. I will let you know how that pans out this month next weekend when the bills are all through.

jenrose
02-21-2010, 12:24:18 PM
I thought you had a headache??:wink7:

I do and it won't go away! But that is a different story :wink7:

amylynne01
02-23-2010, 10:57:59 AM
Just made a huge deposit because it was an awesome mail day yesterday.

10.99 RA SCR
15.00 Olay Regenerist rebate
11.98 Olay Quench lotion rebate
24.99 Staples easy rebate
7.00 from pp (trading qs)
39.98 formula reimbursement (my younger dd is on special formula, and we get reimbursed for full cost from our insurance company. From the check, I put 200 on a cc and the rest for Disney!)

Grand total: 109.94 deposited! :excited12:

MoneySavinDiva
02-23-2010, 11:15:17 AM
I added another $2.50 to savings today...got a rebate check in the mail :BigHand:

cjpsmom
02-23-2010, 11:57:53 AM
:wavehi:Cashed in my next round of change.....(drumroll).......$260!:BigHand::BigHand :

Brings my total to......(drumroll)....$580:BigHand::BigHand:

Still have more to roll and should be seeing some good ol' rebates comin' in soon.:smile:

jenrose
02-23-2010, 12:00:20 PM
Well I deposited a rebate check in to savings today $12.99 but had to take $20 out of savings last week since DH wiped me out. This month is gonna suck $$ wise since DH took a week off of work UNPAID to go play in the snow (without me mind you). My major savings push will have to wait until next month so we can recover from his play time.

VivaciousJewelz
02-23-2010, 12:51:36 PM
Wow! You guys are so AWESOME!

Me... I'm still at $0. As soon as we move and get the house in order... I'll be back on the savings train!

MoneySavinDiva
02-23-2010, 06:05:34 PM
Wow! You guys are so AWESOME!

Me... I'm still at $0. As soon as we move and get the house in order... I'll be back on the savings train!

Been there done that! A year ago right now we were prepping to buy and move into our first house...I had to put a lot of things on the back burner until we got settled. I hope everything goes smoothly for you!!

frugalstafar
02-26-2010, 06:06:06 AM
Ok so even though I have totally blown my grocery budget for the month through the power of the rebate and recycling and change counting I have added to my vacation fund-----I am now at $636 only $1364 to go!!! I highly doubt I am going to make it in the time period I had hoped-our metal recycling has dropped off because of the snow(the work we would have done can't be done till the snow is gone and the mud is less) but I am hoping it will pick up a bit before vacation, only 30 days to go!!!!

cjpsmom
02-27-2010, 07:24:15 PM
I'm adding $10 to my savings, it's what I had left over from my Feb budget. I have no set rules for these savings so If I have something left over I'm going to try to the extra to savings.

MoneySavinDiva
02-28-2010, 07:45:40 AM
We had some extra leftover from our paychecks last week, so I added another $50 to our savings, which puts me at $115 added for the year :BigHand:

cjpsmom
03-01-2010, 12:54:19 PM
Okay, I finally got all the change rolled this weekend!:BigHand: Went today to cash in another $61, so that brings my total to $651! That will prolly be it for a little while on the savings challenge...but I'll keep adding when I can.:smile:

amylynne01
03-02-2010, 12:32:35 PM
Added to the fund:

$0.58 - interest from Feb (rolling in the dough from my bank lol)
$44.00 - pp (ebay and trading)
$15.00 - rebate

Total: $59.58!

I have a couple of rebate checks to deposit and some cans to return, so I'll have more to add tomorrow.

amylynne01
03-02-2010, 12:48:31 PM
Here is an update through today!

amylynne01: $868.11
cjpsmom: $651.00
frugalstafar: $636.00
jaelyns mommy: $88.00
jenrose: $0 (you can do it!)
lauramama2: $0 (how's it going?)
manders13: $0 (still around?)
moneysavindiva: $115.00
natennatsmommy: $10,965.30 (holy moly girl!)
puakinikini: $0 (sending you saving vibes!)
regbyandjulie: $0 (how'd the move go?)
snookibear: $0 (still around?)

for a grand total of $13,323.41 saved in cash!!!:BigHand::BigHand:

Any updates on these totals??

Let's see what we can do in March!:goodluck7:

jenrose
03-02-2010, 01:17:33 PM
I just deposited a $13.25 Rebate check. Hey its something. LOL

VivaciousJewelz
03-02-2010, 01:37:22 PM

amylynne01: $868.11
cjpsmom: $651.00
frugalstafar: $636.00
jaelyns mommy: $88.00
jenrose: $0 (you can do it!)
manders13: $0 (still around?)
moneysavindiva: $115.00
natennatsmommy: $10,965.30 (holy moly girl!)
puakinikini: $0 (sending you saving vibes!)
regbyandjulie: $0 (how'd the move go?)
snookibear: $0 (still around?)

for a grand total of $13,323.41 saved in cash!!!:BigHand::BigHand:

Any updates on these totals??

Let's see what we can do in March!:goodluck7:
Thanks Amy!! I'll update the OP with these totals. We haven't moved in yet- just found out today that we WON'T be homeless and will be moving in this weekend. Now I can start saving like crazy!

Will update the totals Amy did for us!

cjpsmom
03-02-2010, 02:09:29 PM

I'm so proud!:BigHand:

jaelyns_mommy
03-02-2010, 04:56:15 PM
heres my update..i had to take my savings and use them for car repairs :( So as of today 3/2 my savings is only $8 *tear* lol

VivaciousJewelz
03-03-2010, 09:55:35 AM
heres my update..i had to take my savings and use them for car repairs :( So as of today 3/2 my savings is only $8 *tear* lol

Still doing better than me! :smile: :giggle2:

lauramama2
03-03-2010, 10:11:30 AM

I'm still here sorry. I managed to squeak my $300 out for Feb, keeping my fingers crossed for March!

amylynne01
03-03-2010, 10:30:35 AM
I'm still here sorry. I managed to squeak my $300 out for Feb, keeping my fingers crossed for March!

Awesome!:BigHand:

nateNnatsmommy
03-03-2010, 11:29:31 AM

Every little bit counts!

Thanks Amy!! I'll update the OP with these totals. We haven't moved in yet- just found out today that we WON'T be homeless and will be moving in this weekend. Now I can start saving like crazy!

Exciting! Can't wait to see!

Nicely done!

Sorry, late updating: last Friday (payday) added $1,072.57 - new total $12,037.87

amylynne01
03-03-2010, 11:34:21 AM
Sorry, late updating: last Friday (payday) added $1,072.57 - new total $12,037.87

You are rocking this!:encourage19:

We're starting out March right!

jaelyns_mommy
03-03-2010, 12:49:14 PM
Still doing better than me! :smile: :giggle2:

Well for now, you'll probably beat me next week lol :)
I found $14 in my baby wipes piggy bank. Yes my piggy bank is an empty baby wipe package...its in disquise..I havent counted the quarters yet but I dont know how many I'll left after laundry. So my total is $22 so far :)

amylynne01
03-04-2010, 05:25:47 PM
Another deposit today.

$22 in rebates
$27.44 from a email clicking site

Total: 49.44 from today and 917.55 total!!:dance7:

VivaciousJewelz
03-05-2010, 07:41:41 AM
OP updated! Way to go gals! I promise to jump on the savings train, soon, LOL. We're moving this weekend and have rent to pay, but I'm totally starting it hardcore in April!

MoneySavinDiva
03-05-2010, 08:16:40 AM
OP updated! Way to go gals! I promise to jump on the savings train, soon, LOL. We're moving this weekend and have rent to pay, but I'm totally starting it hardcore in April!

Good luck with the move! I hope all goes smoothly for you!!

MoneySavinDiva
03-06-2010, 06:46:59 AM
Yesterday was payday for hubs and I, and I decided to try and work our budget for this pay period using only hubs' paycheck, since I'm leaving my job in a month to be a SAHM...I figured it's best to start practicing the budget now :wink7: This time around, it worked out using only hubs' paycheck! So I added $377.04 to our savings yesterday!! That puts me at $492.04 :BigHand:

I think it helps that I switched from working full time to part time earlier in the month, so first we got used to living on a full time paycheck (his) and a part time paycheck (mine) and now we just need to get used to living without that part time income and just on hubs' full time.

I'm so happy that our me becoming a SAHM plans are working out so far...God is Good!!

amylynne01
03-06-2010, 06:59:33 AM
Yesterday was payday for hubs and I, and I decided to try and work our budget for this pay period using only hubs' paycheck, since I'm leaving my job in a month to be a SAHM...I figured it's best to start practicing the budget now :wink7: This time around, it worked out using only hubs' paycheck! So I added $377.04 to our savings yesterday!! That puts me at $492.04 :BigHand:

I think it helps that I switched from working full time to part time earlier in the month, so first we got used to living on a full time paycheck (his) and a part time paycheck (mine) and now we just need to get used to living without that part time income and just on hubs' full time.

I'm so happy that our me becoming a SAHM plans are working out so far...God is Good!!

How awesome! It definitely takes a long of work to live on one paycheck especially when you're adding to your family. For my husband and I, it is very important that one of us be home raising our kids. And even though I have a Master's degree, he will always make more. So he works and I stay home (I do work part time teaching math at a community college). The girls go to daycare a couple mornings a week, which is good for them because they get to play with other kids and have different play experiences than I can offer at our home. And being a mostly SAHM lets me have time for my coupon and shopping habits!:hysterical:

Do you know what you're having? How are you feeling?

MoneySavinDiva
03-06-2010, 07:48:58 AM
How awesome! It definitely takes a long of work to live on one paycheck especially when you're adding to your family. For my husband and I, it is very important that one of us be home raising our kids. And even though I have a Master's degree, he will always make more. So he works and I stay home (I do work part time teaching math at a community college). The girls go to daycare a couple mornings a week, which is good for them because they get to play with other kids and have different play experiences than I can offer at our home. And being a mostly SAHM lets me have time for my coupon and shopping habits!:hysterical:

Do you know what you're having? How are you feeling?

I agree with you on having more time for coupon and shopping habits :giggle2: Even since I've switched to part time I've noticed the number of deals I've been getting for my dollar has gone way up now that I have time to deal hunt more extensively as well as work more trades, etc. for the coupons I need! I also have more time to make stuff from scratch again, so I don't have to rely on buying certain things!

When we had our ultrasound they couldn't get a really good look to tell us 100% what we're having, but they said that their "best guess" is a boy...so I guess we'll just be surprised :smile: I've been feeling well, I didn't have any sickness the whole way through, just lots of exhaustion...and then of course once I hit my third trimester the nausea has taken over :rolleyes24:

amylynne01
03-06-2010, 11:18:56 AM
We didn't know what we were having the first time around. At our u/s, the tech could not tell because baby's legs were crossed. I wanted to know SOOO badly, but it wasn't meant to be. I was so sure she was a boy and called her Landon. Oops. But the moment when she was born and the doc said "it's a girl" just gave me chills. The final piece of the puzzle was in place. She was here, and she had a name, and I finally saw her face in my future, not just some random kid whose gender I didn't know. If I have another, I'm so having another surprise!

MoneySavinDiva
03-06-2010, 07:31:44 PM
We didn't know what we were having the first time around. At our u/s, the tech could not tell because baby's legs were crossed. I wanted to know SOOO badly, but it wasn't meant to be. I was so sure she was a boy and called her Landon. Oops. But the moment when she was born and the doc said "it's a girl" just gave me chills. The final piece of the puzzle was in place. She was here, and she had a name, and I finally saw her face in my future, not just some random kid whose gender I didn't know. If I have another, I'm so having another surprise!

I think that's what's going to end up happening here too :giggle2: When they told us they "thought" it was a boy hubs and I told each other that we weren't going to tell anyone, we were just going to act like they couldn't find out at all. But then he started telling people that we "think" it's a boy...so everyone took that to mean that yes it is 100% boy :rolleyes24: I've even kind of gotten in that mindset now though...so it will be interesting if it comes out pink :wink7: We will of course be happy either way...we totally don't care what we have, we just want a healthy happy baby...

jaelyns_mommy
03-06-2010, 08:18:24 PM
Well I got my SSI backpay check today:BigHand::BigHand: After paying my bills, I'll add another $1062. So my total will be on monday, have to go get stamps to pay the stupid things off:rolleyes24:, $1084 :) I still need to save up $8916. Im getting another $5k so actually I only have to save $3916 :) Hopefully I can do it. I have some of my stockpile almost done, I still have to buy 32 packs of tp lol, Good work everyone and keep it up :smile:

VivaciousJewelz
03-08-2010, 07:24:03 AM
Okay, I put $100 in savings just so I had something to show for this past month, LOL.

MoneySavinDiva
03-08-2010, 09:25:15 AM
Okay, I put $100 in savings just so I had something to show for this past month, LOL.

:BigHand:

How did the big move go?

VivaciousJewelz
03-08-2010, 09:45:50 AM

How did the big move go?

We're still moving, LOL. We got all the essentials in... now it's time to move the rest of the stockpile. :mad37:

nateNnatsmommy
03-08-2010, 09:55:55 AM
:BigHand::BigHand::BigHand:

jenrose
03-08-2010, 10:00:54 AM

:smile: Great Job, still doing better than me. :whistle67:

foodie
03-08-2010, 01:46:59 PM
Julie,

Good luck with your move, etc.

Foodie:biggrin:

angeleyeza
03-10-2010, 10:38:45 AM
Is it possible to do enough refunds per month to pay for the next months bills? I thought about it and I figured if I can do/find enough refunds per months. anyone have any opinions. I know it sounds somewhat impossible for some since I live in Pa and no winetags for me *cry* but some rebating has paid for bills. I want to try an expieriment where I month refunding pays for next months bills or partially pays . is it possible to rebate at least $200 -$300 a month? I know it can be very time consuming to even find that many.

VivaciousJewelz
03-10-2010, 10:42:58 AM
Is it possible to do enough refunds per month to pay for the next months bills? I thought about it and I figured if I can do/find enough refunds per months. anyone have any opinions. I know it sounds somewhat impossible for some since I live in Pa and no winetags for me *cry* but some rebating has paid for bills. I want to try an expieriment where I month refunding pays for next months bills or partially pays . is it possible to rebate at least $200 -$300 a month? I know it can be very time consuming to even find that many.

Well, most rebates take 6-8 weeks, so it wouldn't necessarily work month-to-month, BUT in December, I did enough rebating where I actually got back about $175 in February, which is nothing to sneeze at.

jenrose
03-10-2010, 10:49:42 AM
Well my savings will now be taking on a whole new meaning. DH got the results back from his MRI and it is no longer IF he will need back surgury but WHEN!!!! So when our Tax return comes back (probably a week or so from now) that should pay off our line of credit and then we will begin stashing all extra money into savings. His checks are what pays the bills and mine isn't much more than for groceries and store purchases, and DS1's preschool (I only work part time and medical insurance for me and the boys takes up most of my paychecks). So we will need enough stashed away to cover us while he is off work recovering. :hectic1:

He actually said to me last night, its not too big of a deal since the recovery is only like 2 weeks. I looked at him like he was crazy. It may be 2 weeks to be able to start doing some things but he is a mechanic for crying out loud. Full recovery will be a whole lot longer than that. :rolleyes24:

thickbluebug
03-11-2010, 12:19:34 AM
I want to play.
Mights as well join the rest of the gang from stockpile olympics and living off the stockpile threads.
:biggrin:
I started using a different fund for groceries and stockpiling - so now I have my mirs that I have allocated for a vacation fund.
Keeping my totals in my siggy too!

amylynne01
03-11-2010, 05:21:12 AM
I want to play.
Mights as well join the rest of the gang from stockpile olympics and living off the stockpile threads.
:biggrin:
I started using a different fund for groceries and stockpiling - so now I have my mirs that I have allocated for a vacation fund.
Keeping my totals in my siggy too!

Welcome!! Where are you planning a vacation?

MoneySavinDiva
03-11-2010, 06:50:14 AM

If you live in a state where your rebates are NBPN/NWPN I could see it as a possibility (I don't know PA's rules on that...). I live in Iowa and we don't get those lovelies for rebates, but like Julie said, you can get a significant amount that at least some of the bills are taken care of!

thickbluebug
03-11-2010, 06:10:35 PM
Welcome!! Where are you planning a vacation?
Haven't made the decision yet, but I would like to go to Hawaii or another cruise.

Depends on your state. I know NC has so many mirs - it would be easy to do that amount most of the year.
The best times to rebate - imo - are nov/dec/jan and may/jun/july
Start checking your state.
I have written off doing mirs from kona, red hook, or widmer. They have lots out every year but deny for bogus reasons. Not worth the trade and they use to trade at 20% and then the work to mail them in.

I hunt mirs by items and vendor names. Like I research coors, pizza, meat, nbpn, AL, salty snacks - I find lots that way and trade early.

They sell them on ebay but sometimes for a rare form they will go as much as 50%. Normally 10% is my limit.

Dec there were at least 25 different mirs for my state. They varied from $3 to $25.
This time of year is really slow for mirs - imo

VivaciousJewelz
03-12-2010, 06:36:32 AM
Haven't made the decision yet, but I would like to go to Hawaii or another cruise.

Depends on your state. I know NC has so many mirs - it would be easy to do that amount most of the year.
The best times to rebate - imo - are nov/dec/jan and may/jun/july
Start checking your state.
I have written off doing mirs from kona, red hook, or widmer. They have lots out every year but deny for bogus reasons. Not worth the trade and they use to trade at 20% and then the work to mail them in.

I hunt mirs by items and vendor names. Like I research coors, pizza, meat, nbpn, AL, salty snacks - I find lots that way and trade early.

They sell them on ebay but sometimes for a rare form they will go as much as 50%. Normally 10% is my limit.

Dec there were at least 25 different mirs for my state. They varied from $3 to $25.
This time of year is really slow for mirs - imo

Is there a website or something to see all the ones available for your state so you can then look for them here? Sometimes I end up accidentally ordering more than one, or missing one I could have used. It would be nice if there is a list out there somewhere. :giggle2:

nateNnatsmommy
03-12-2010, 08:50:17 AM
Is there a website or something to see all the ones available for your state so you can then look for them here? Sometimes I end up accidentally ordering more than one, or missing one I could have used. It would be nice if there is a list out there somewhere. :giggle2:

I suggest setting up camp in the Gimme My Money Back forum.

Added $93 to savings. Up to $12,130.87

Might add more from rebate checks I've been too lazy to take to the bank, haven't decided yet (still looking at shoes :giggle2:)

VivaciousJewelz
03-12-2010, 09:22:26 AM

Might add more from rebate checks I've been too lazy to take to the bank, haven't decided yet (still looking at shoes :giggle2:)

I know about THAT, but I meant like a list was that was like:

Virginia:
Rebate 1...
Rebate 2...
Rebate 27...
Etc...

And stop showing us up with all your savings... :hysterical:

VivaciousJewelz
03-12-2010, 09:23:22 AM
And apparently I need to go back to school b/c I mispelled Virginia... thank GOD I edited it before anyone saw how I misspelled it... :hysterical:

jenrose
03-12-2010, 09:23:41 AM

Are you trying to save as much as I make in a year in one month or what? :hysterical: I'm so jelous. :whistle67:

jenrose
03-12-2010, 09:25:48 AM
And apparently I need to go back to school b/c I mispelled Virginia... thank GOD I edited it before anyone saw how I misspelled it... :hysterical:

Or so you think. :wink7:

nateNnatsmommy
03-12-2010, 09:29:03 AM
You only make $93 a year? :biggrin:

Are you trying to save as much as I make in a year in one month or what? :hysterical: I'm so jelous. :whistle67:

jenrose
03-12-2010, 09:29:41 AM
You only make $93 a year? :biggrin:

Sometimes it feels like it. :hysterical:

amylynne01
03-12-2010, 02:34:05 PM
Deposited 24.90 today.

5.00 rebate
9.40 from survey
5.00 pp from swagbucks
5.00 prepaid gc I won in my Cheerios lol

VivaciousJewelz
03-12-2010, 02:36:08 PM
Deposited 24.90 today.

5.00 rebate
9.40 from survey
5.00 pp from swagbucks

You won a gc with Cheerios?? How??

jenrose
03-12-2010, 02:37:27 PM
Deposited 24.90 today.

5.00 rebate
9.40 from survey
5.00 pp from swagbucks

Pretty talented to deposit a prepaid gift card. :giggle2:

nateNnatsmommy
03-12-2010, 02:54:19 PM
Maybe she's depositing in a piggy bank or something?

jenrose
03-12-2010, 02:59:37 PM
Maybe she's depositing in a piggy bank or something?

I figured she used it in her regular budget and deposited the cash from her budget. But just thought it sounded funny. :wink7:

thickbluebug
03-12-2010, 05:35:49 PM
I still over trade and I have been doing rebates for 3 years now.
Especially with heine listing their mirs as 2 ways - gets so confusing now. I do try to go by offer numbers but that still can get confusing.

Since I swapped to trading by offer #'s - I am finding out several companies are putting out multiple mirs each month.
Like smirnoff/guiness/redstripe has put out rebates last month and this month - and have they had 3 versions each time for my state.
This month there are dg #49, #52 #57

Coors usually has about 3 or 4 out at the same time but in my state we only see 1, miller has 2 or 3 out each time.

I am seeing that lots of the hcwer's don't list them in the db, so I check both the main board and the db, then I check ebay too.

Oh and I do have certain people that I trade with and I check their wl/hl to see what is out.

amylynne01
03-12-2010, 06:20:35 PM

I am THAT good!:hysterical:

I won a $5 gc in my Cheerios. I had bought it last summer-ish and never thought it would be a winner. So I put $5 in the vacation fund and will use the gc for my groceries or something.

amylynne01
03-14-2010, 11:07:14 AM
I totally forgot about this found money until I updated my Quicken today.

5.00 from using my debit card (.10 credit every time I use it)
5.78 interest on my checking acct
7.32 from selling book on half.com

Added 18.10 today. Total saved: 960.55. Will have another update tomorrow after going to the bank!

VivaciousJewelz
03-14-2010, 03:18:09 PM
Awesome job guys.

TBB- I tend to overtrade, too. I get so mad at myself, too, b/c it's money I wasted.

ravenhart
03-15-2010, 09:59:15 PM
I'm getting started a little late in the year for this but I desperately need some savings. I can't seem to get over this "sickness" since before Thanksgiving - don't know if it's just bronchitis, pnuemonia, croup or what - but can't keep going to the Dr 3 visits already and feel like I need to go back again this week.

My goals are:
*Emergency Fund built - initial goal $1000 up to 10,000
*Saving for a vacation - hubby only gets 1 week a year and really needs to relax! He works 2 jobs. Will be taking short trips this year around holidays to maximize on days.
*Travel to see my son, his wife and beautiful granddaughter as much as I can - they don't live far (Ft. Hood) only 7 hrs away but gas does cost

We're saving change - so far $62
Couponing - although that amt hasn't made it into savings yet - need to get a stockpile built up and reduce grocery $$ to fit into budget
Saving $5 bills - so far only $5
Garage Sales
Selling stockpile items
Selling books

Need MIR for my state - TX don't understand why we can't get B&W Tags

lauramama2
03-17-2010, 11:31:14 PM
So far I have managed to get another $175 into my savings. So I am up to $475.

VivaciousJewelz
03-18-2010, 05:35:20 AM
So far I have managed to get another $175 into my savings. So I am up to $475.

Good b/c you made up for the fact I had to take my $100 right out of savings, LOL. :hysterical:

jenrose
03-18-2010, 07:42:36 AM
I thought I was gonna get some $$ into savings this week, but it looks like I may use it to pay off our HE line of credit instead. We just got our tax refund and after thaqt we only owe about $150 on the line of credit. Now if only I can keep DH from taking any more money off of it we will be good. LOL

ravenhart
03-18-2010, 08:35:36 AM
I still over trade and I have been doing rebates for 3 years now.
Especially with heine listing their mirs as 2 ways - gets so confusing now. I do try to go by offer numbers but that still can get confusing.

Since I swapped to trading by offer #'s - I am finding out several companies are putting out multiple mirs each month.
Like smirnoff/guiness/redstripe has put out rebates last month and this month - and have they had 3 versions each time for my state.
This month there are dg #49, #52 #57

Coors usually has about 3 or 4 out at the same time but in my state we only see 1, miller has 2 or 3 out each time.

I am seeing that lots of the hcwer's don't list them in the db, so I check both the main board and the db, then I check ebay too.

Oh and I do have certain people that I trade with and I check their wl/hl to see what is out.

I don't see why Texas can never have these - I would love to be able to do the meat ones in particular.

amylynne01
03-18-2010, 05:20:31 PM
Deposit today

19.99, 4.49, 6.00 rebates
5.00 pp from swagbucks

Total: 996.03 so far. I got another 15.00 rebate today, so I will be over 1000 once I hit the bank again!:excited77:

manders13
03-18-2010, 05:32:51 PM
ive saved $500 in change $100 Debit card and $1000 in cash :-D

$1000 will be used for my trip in may!

lauramama2
03-22-2010, 01:16:35 PM
Good b/c you made up for the fact I had to take my $100 right out of savings, LOL. :hysterical:

LOL

I have a feeling mine isn't going to last long. My mom just decided she is moving out which means her financial contribution is gone after next month. I swear if it wasnt for bad luck I wouldnt have any! We just had to put another almost $400 into cars last week between the 2....... I could scream!

VivaciousJewelz
03-22-2010, 01:45:08 PM
Okay, I officially put $500 into savings!

amylynne01
03-22-2010, 02:46:51 PM
Way to go on your savings ladies! The little amounts will add up in no time!

I still have yet to get to a bank, so I am technically still under 1000. I refuse to go inside with 2 small children for a 2 minute trip, and the atm had no deposit envelopes this weekend.

jenrose
03-22-2010, 02:48:43 PM
I guess I never updated. I payed off our HE line of credit then put a whopping $75 into savings LOL

amylynne01
03-22-2010, 03:10:50 PM
I guess I never updated. I payed off our HE line of credit then put a whopping $75 into savings LOL

Every little bit helps!

lauramama2
03-22-2010, 03:49:41 PM
Okay, I officially put $500 into savings!

lauramama2
03-22-2010, 03:51:18 PM

Better than nothing!!:BigHand:

jaelyns_mommy
03-22-2010, 06:27:19 PM
I just wondering how everyone was doing with saving...mine just went down $400 to the stupid cable company with the issues that never resolved from ex iyiyi so now Im down to $686, ugh this stinks :( telling myself..'my savings will go up, my savings will go up" lol

MoneySavinDiva
03-24-2010, 04:12:50 PM
I added $273.74 to savings last week :smile:

jenrose
03-24-2010, 04:24:13 PM
I added $273.74 to savings last week :smile:

Great job!

amylynne01
03-24-2010, 05:03:59 PM
WTG!! We're rocking March, ladies!

jenrose
03-24-2010, 07:13:41 PM
Deposited $25 in rebate checks yesterday

frugalstafar
03-25-2010, 04:03:01 AM
WOW its been almost a month since I updated and quite a crazy one it has been. I am now up to $1199- I have a feeling this will be the most I will get for my vacation fund since we leave Saturday-I was truly hoping for $2000 but because of all the snow this winter I was not able to get as much metal for recycling or clean out the giant truck of stuff from my father-in-laws home we cleaned out( I had planned on taking it to the auction). I feel I did pretty good though and will come up with another savings goal when we return.

jaelyns_mommy
03-25-2010, 04:25:15 PM
I added $75 from rent overage...so I'm now up to $761 :) Good job everyone and keep up the good work!!!!!!!

amylynne01
03-26-2010, 01:23:28 PM
Deposited 26.60 today. 15 from Olay rebate and 11.60 from survey site. Totals updated in siggy!

cjpsmom
03-26-2010, 02:02:21 PM
I guess I need to get busy with this......I've kinda stalled lately.

amylynne01
03-26-2010, 02:12:50 PM
I guess I need to get busy with this......I've kinda stalled lately.

You can do it!!

amylynne01
03-29-2010, 07:19:51 AM
Would you ladies be interested in setting up a mini-goal for April? Like "by the end of April I want to save $___ and end up at $___". For me mini-goals are SO much more attainable. Who's in?

I'll start. In April, I want to save $250 and end up at $1272.63 (or higher!).

jaelyns_mommy
03-29-2010, 08:33:53 AM
I'll join too. I did take some out of savings for some 'me' things before I exploded...long story...I'm unfortunately down to $468. But I have some nice spring cothes and pretty nails to match and good smelling home :smile: So in April I will save $100 and end up at $568. Hopefully in May I can really start saving back up again to my 10g's.

Would you ladies be interested in setting up a mini-goal for April? Like "by the end of April I want to save $___ and end up at $___". For me mini-goals are SO much more attainable. Who's in?

I'll start. In April, I want to save $250 and end up at $1272.63 (or higher!).

MoneySavinDiva
03-29-2010, 11:04:22 AM
I added $10 to savings today from a rebate check.

I'll have to think about what I want my "mini goal" for April to be...

jenrose
03-29-2010, 11:07:16 AM
I'd post a mini goal but I really don't know what that would be. DH will find out on the 14th when his surgury will be and until I know when that is all I know is I need to put every extra penny into savings.

MoneySavinDiva
03-31-2010, 01:26:55 PM
I added another $17.94 to savings today...I got 3 rebate checks in the mail :BigHand:

amylynne01
04-01-2010, 08:09:05 AM
Deposit today!

2 $3 rebates
$22 from selling stuff on CL
$13 coins
$0.85 interest from March
total: 41.85

$1064.48/$1272.63 by the end of April
$1064.48/$3000 by the end of December

jenrose
04-01-2010, 08:10:47 AM
Deposit today!

2 $3 rebates
$22 from selling stuff on CL
$13 coins
$0.85 interest from March
total: 41.85

$1064.48/$1272.63 by the end of April
$1064.48/$3000 by the end of December

Wow, you are soooooo close. And you still have the whole month to finish your mini goal! Great job!

amylynne01
04-01-2010, 10:01:20 AM
Wow, you are soooooo close. And you still have the whole month to finish your mini goal! Great job!

I know. Maybe I'll up it later on in the month. To meet my big goal of $3000, I need $250 a month, so if I get that, I'm on track. We'll see.

cjpsmom
04-02-2010, 05:40:44 PM
I'm taking a $5 rebate check back out of my Stockpile challenge and putting it into savings. Bringing me to $656.00.
I didn't post earlier but I hope to have at least $700 by the end of the month.

Kana16
04-03-2010, 02:22:20 PM
I'm a little late but I'd love to join in on this. :wink7:
However, the only things I can contribute are rebates, survey/paid email $, and eBay sales. But that's better than nothing! I'm not sure about an overall goal for '10 though. I'd like to have $150 saved by the end of May, though. That's really small compared to the rest of you. :whistle67:

cjpsmom
04-04-2010, 08:55:32 AM
Every little bit counts! Welcome!

jenrose
04-04-2010, 10:20:12 AM
Hey....I just transfered 300 over.......we shall see if it actually stays there for very long LOL

lauramama2
04-05-2010, 12:56:54 AM
I managed to find another $325 to get me up to $800. I am really hoping I'm not shorting myself by sticking it away, but I guess worse case I have to pull some back out right.

I also got a $100 check from my aunt who always sends Easter money.......don't for the life of me know why being that I'm nearly 30 now but whatever. I am debating whether to put it in savings or stash it away for some cheapie/clearance clothes shopping. Dd has grown out of nearly all her summer stuff.....ugh and I have lost 10 lbs sense I got hit with this latest spell so I dont know if my clothes are gonna fit either........UGH!!

For now lets just say I'm at $800 and I'll decide on the other once I get it cashed.

MoneySavinDiva
04-05-2010, 12:11:32 PM
Added $393.94 to savings last week and I got a $5.00 rebate check in today's mail that went straight to savings as well :smile:

Dana.Provs31
04-05-2010, 01:21:23 PM
I would like to join in. I've been trying to get $1000 saved forever. I can definitely use the accountability here!

Right now I have: $40.26
Budgeted for savings in April: $100.00

I am determined to get AT LEAST that much deposited this month.

Thanks for starting this!

amylynne01
04-06-2010, 04:17:46 PM
Deposit today! (And one coming tomorrow too.)

5.00 from using debit card
4.41 from interest on checking acct
8.44 pp from survey site and trading

$1082.33/$1272.63 by the end of April
$1082.33/$3000 by the end of December

I'm thinking about upping my saving total to 3600 by December. DH wants to stay in a suite while we're in Disney, so we'll need more money. I'll let you know when we decide what to do.

amylynne01
04-06-2010, 04:19:43 PM
I would like to join in. I've been trying to get $1000 saved forever. I can definitely use the accountability here!

Right now I have: $40.26
Budgeted for savings in April: $100.00

I am determined to get AT LEAST that much deposited this month.

Thanks for starting this!

Welcome! You can save another $60 this month. I just know it!

amylynne01
04-07-2010, 10:15:46 AM
Another deposit today.

2 $3 rebates
$6 rebate
$10 from selling on CL
$11.96 from selling at consignment store

Total: 36.96

$1119.29/$1272.63 by the end of April
$1119.29/$3000 by the end of December

MoneySavinDiva
04-09-2010, 11:00:39 AM
I got another rebate check in yesterday's mail, so that add's another $5.99 to savings! I'm loving all the rebates that are rolling in this month...but I'd better get moving on sending more out because I don't think I have that many left to come in...:giggle2:

amylynne01
04-13-2010, 09:49:48 AM
Another deposit today.

$10 from survey site
$9.30 and $7.10 from another survey site
$49 from insurance (we paid a full year on hubby's motorcycle last year. he sold it a month or two ago, so this is what we were reimbursed)

Total: $75.40

$1194.69/$1272.63 by the end of April
$1194.69/$3000 by the end of December

amylynne01
04-19-2010, 12:49:37 PM
Is anyone else still playing? If not, I'll post alone in here because it really helping with keeping my accountable.

Another deposit today.

$20 cash (from selling on CL and leftover from last week's allotted cash)
$10 from pre paid gc
$37 from a bunch of rebates

Total: $67.00

$1261.69/$1272.63 by the end of April
$1261.69/$3000 by the end of December

jenrose
04-19-2010, 12:54:03 PM
Is anyone else still playing? If not, I'll post alone in here because it really helping with keeping my accountable.

Another deposit today.

$20 cash (from selling on CL and leftover from last week's allotted cash)
$10 from pre paid gc
$37 from a bunch of rebates

Total: $67.00

$1261.69/$1272.63 by the end of April
$1261.69/$3000 by the end of December

I'm still here but I never remember to post LOL. DH stole all my money for bills last week so I am down $ again. But I did transfer a couple hundred over again on Friday. If DH would stop spending more than I can save I would be doing a whole lot better. :rolleyes24:

VivaciousJewelz
04-19-2010, 12:56:35 PM
I've been REALLY bad about posting in here... Probably b/c I have NO money in savings anymore. BUT, I'm getting a nice bonus, raise, and prorate check so I'm hoping to put about $1000 in savings come Thursday.

VivaciousJewelz
04-19-2010, 12:57:57 PM
Also, if I can get a quick total from everyone still participating- that would be great! Amylynne, I've got you down!

VivaciousJewelz
04-19-2010, 01:10:54 PM
Oh, I have $16 in rebate checks I'm adding to savings. :biggrin:

amylynne01
04-20-2010, 12:08:40 PM
Way to go Julie!

cjpsmom
04-20-2010, 01:04:44 PM
I'm still in, I'm just sorry.:giggle2:

Cashed in some more rebates today, so into savings they will go!!!!

$12.00
$668.00/$700.00 by the end of April (I will make it!!)

We have received our tax refund but I do not know how much we're putting back yet....the biggest "chunk" will go to the principle on the house loan.:BigHand: It's going to be rather nice to put that "chunk" to the house....it deserves it.:giggle2:

Dana.Provs31
04-20-2010, 02:22:28 PM
I'm still in! I read the question about who is still playing and it reminded me to put the money into savings. Thanks!

I just transferred $100 into savings giving me a balance of $140.26.

NOW I have to leave it there.

jaelyns_mommy
04-20-2010, 02:30:00 PM
I'm out this month :( had to buy dd a new carseat today, the last one had straps with a mind of there own and i just didnt feel safe having her in it anymore. Im def. in next month though. Im almost done my house and hba piles so that'll add more money to my box :) congrats everyone and keep up the good work :)

amylynne01
04-23-2010, 05:31:54 PM
Another deposit today.

$10 cash (from trading and leftover from last week's allotted cash)
$17.50 from a bunch of rebates

Total: $27.50

$1289.19/$1272.63 by the end of April:BigHand:
$1289.19/$3000 by the end of December

I still have some money in pp that I'm waiting on transferring. Until it hits the vacation fund, I'm not counting it.

jenrose
04-23-2010, 07:14:30 PM
Another deposit today.

$10 cash (from trading and leftover from last week's allotted cash)
$17.50 from a bunch of rebates

Total: $27.50

$1289.19/$1272.63 by the end of April:BigHand:
$1289.19/$3000 by the end of December

I still have some money in pp that I'm waiting on transferring. Until it hits the vacation fund, I'm not counting it.

You are doing so good! :BigHand:

My savings has been put on hold. DH will be having back surgery on Monday and is off work for a few weeks so it will be all I can do not to have to use the CC to hold us over until he goes back to work. When he is able to go back to work I will be trying to build up the savings again.

MoneySavinDiva
04-26-2010, 06:50:45 AM
I recieved a $15 rebate check in the mail over the weekend which went straight into savings. I will have to go through and update my total so far.

amylynne01
04-29-2010, 10:41:02 AM
Another deposit today.

$21.79 from pp from trading and swagbucks
$12 from 3 rebates

Total: $33.79

$1322.98/$1272.63 by the end of April:BigHand:
$1322.98/$3000 by the end of December

My goal for May is to save $250 or be at $1572.98. I'm hoping to be at $1800 by the end of June, which will put me on track for saving $3600 in one year.

cjpsmom
04-30-2010, 11:08:43 AM
I added $6 to my stash...I know I didn't make my goal :( but at least I'm saving SOMETHING....that in itself is a good thing. Total for April $674/$700:(

Next month put my goal down for $800!! I know I'll make.....I can feel it:)

BTW-Way to go Amylynne01!! You've done wonderfully!!! You should be proud!

amylynne01
05-03-2010, 06:27:10 AM
Another deposit today.

$1.05 from interest :hysterical:

$1324.03/$1572.98 by the end of May
$1324.03/$3000.00 by the end of December

cjpsmom
05-05-2010, 12:39:15 PM
I have made my goal for May ALREADY!!!!:BigHand::smile:

I rec'd a check from Upromise for the balance as of the last quarter (I'd rather be saving it myself)......$170.00:BigHand::BigHand:

That brings me to $844.00 in my savings.....woohoo!! Don't worry, I'm not quitting!:smile:

Thanks for making me more accountable!!!

texxie
05-05-2010, 12:43:20 PM
is it too late for me to join in?

DH and I are planning a "sit down" tonight to discuss our financial savings goals for the year.

VivaciousJewelz
05-05-2010, 01:34:38 PM
is it too late for me to join in?

DH and I are planning a "sit down" tonight to discuss our financial savings goals for the year.

Welcome! It's NEVER too late to join! We're happy to have you! Do you have any goals or just saving to save?

amylynne01
05-05-2010, 01:40:33 PM
cjpsmom, WAY TO GO!! You better not leave - just think about how much more you can save this month!

Texxie, never too late! What is your saving goal?

Another deposit today.

$15.99 from 3 rebates
$1 cc from a trade

Total: $16.99

$1341.02/$1572.98 by the end of May
$1341.02/$3000.00 by the end of December

puakinikini
05-05-2010, 01:42:35 PM
Okay, I have been absent forever....long story. But, I have been saving (despite my house's attempts to fall aprat in the last 2 months...). I now have $1056 in my savings and another $600 in vacation fund. The vacation is in 3 weeks and 600 has to cover a lot, so I may have to "borrow" from my savings. Luckily I already paid for lodging, but still have 1 day at Disney (for 5 of us), gas, and food. Ugh!

I am proud of what I have saved, but sad that it is not more.

texxie
05-05-2010, 02:04:48 PM
DH and I will be discussing a goal amount this evening so I'll post that tonight or tomorrow.

We live in hurricane land so we need atleast 500.00 on standby for that regardless (on top of what i would like simply in the bank earning interest)

do I list what I have right now in our savings?

jenrose
05-05-2010, 02:09:42 PM
DH and I will be discussing a goal amount this evening so I'll post that tonight or tomorrow.

We live in hurricane land so we need atleast 500.00 on standby for that regardless (on top of what i would like simply in the bank earning interest)

do I list what I have right now in our savings?

:wavehi: Everyone does it a little different.

I don't like the online world knowing exactly what I have so I don't post begining/ending totals but that's just me. Do what you are comfortable with.

but then again I am not doing much saving, I'm just trying not to have to use what little savings I have. As soon as DH is back to work, I will start my savings up again. Still a couple more weeks until that happens. :smile:

texxie
05-05-2010, 02:23:22 PM
that's true. hmm, maybe i'll post what percent I currently have of my end of the year goal and go from there.:biggrin:

amylynne01
05-10-2010, 03:31:05 PM
Another deposit today.

$10.00 from 2 rebates
$10.00 from prepaid Visa
$5.00 from using debit card
$2.34 from interest on checking

Total: $27.34

$1368.36/$1572.98 by the end of May
$1368.36/$3000.00 by the end of December

cjpsmom
05-11-2010, 12:53:26 PM
Way to go Amylynne!!!! You're just moving right along!!

amylynne01
05-11-2010, 03:30:27 PM
Way to go Amylynne!!!! You're just moving right along!!

I am determined to get to Disney on someone else's dime! :hysterical:

amylynne01
05-12-2010, 06:44:52 PM
Another deposit today.

$60.00 from pp (swagbucks, survey, and from doing reviews at an online shopping place)

Total: $60.00

$1428.36/$1572.98 by the end of May
$1428.36/$3000.00 by the end of December

jenrose
05-12-2010, 06:50:26 PM
Amylynne you rock!!!!!!

cjpsmom
05-13-2010, 07:47:24 AM
Amylynne you rock!!!!!!

She's determined, ain't she?:giggle2:

VivaciousJewelz
05-20-2010, 11:51:09 AM
Wow, this is going SOOO great! And I totally stink. Okay, I'm getting paid tomorrow, and then I'm putting $350 in savings.

amylynne01
05-21-2010, 12:00:39 PM
Another deposit today.

$22.50 from 4 rebates
$10 cash from DD2's birthday (she doesn't need a dang thing, but she will need some Minnie Mouse ears!)

Total: $32.50

$1460.86/$1572.98 by the end of May
$1460.86/$3000.00 by the end of December

We also booked our room at Disney for January!:BigHand:

VivaciousJewelz
05-21-2010, 12:05:32 PM
Another deposit today.

$22.50 from 4 rebates
$10 cash from DD2's birthday (she doesn't need a dang thing, but she will need some Minnie Mouse ears!)

Total: $32.50

$1460.86/$1572.98 by the end of May
$1460.86/$3000.00 by the end of December

We also booked our room at Disney for January!:BigHand:

Yay! You go girl!

foodie
05-21-2010, 01:53:48 PM
Keep up the good work.

Foodie:BigHand:

cjpsmom
05-24-2010, 01:31:37 PM
Don't count me out yet!!! I've still got change to roll again but it looks like it will go towards next month....unless I get my booty in gear!!! I knew that one check would spoil the rest of the month for me.

jenrose
05-24-2010, 01:39:55 PM
Don't count me out yet!!! I've still got change to roll again but it looks like it will go towards next month....unless I get my booty in gear!!! I knew that one check would spoil the rest of the month for me.

I was so proud of myself last week that I hadn't had to take any $ out of savings with dh being off.......but then he blew it! Now I am starting almost from scratch again!!! :rolleyes24:

cjpsmom
05-24-2010, 01:48:13 PM
I was so proud of myself last week that I hadn't had to take any $ out of savings with dh being off.......but then he blew it! Now I am starting almost from scratch again!!! :rolleyes24:

It'll be okay....you'll make it up in no time....I have faith.:smile:

jonjaktez
05-24-2010, 02:37:17 PM
I just found this thread and boy do we need to save.

Both hubs and I have our weaknesses, mine is gardening right now but hopefully that will save in the long run since I'm growing food.

I have several goals...

$1000 Emergency Fund (got used up)
$5000 Christmas Vacation (we decided last year that what we spend on Christmas could have funded a sking/Christmas vacation. The kids were told they would get 1 gift each and the rest would be used for vacation).
$3,500 House Repairs/Renovations (for 3 years)
$9,500

The plan:
Money from my paycheck
Money from DH's paycheck
Money from 2nd/side job
Any bonuses

I may not reach my goal but I'm going to try.

I need to save according to my list, EM fund first, then vacation, then house.

I will start on June 1.

Wish my luck!

jenrose
05-24-2010, 02:48:04 PM

Both hubs and I have our weaknesses, mine is gardening right now but hopefully that will save in the long run since I'm growing food.

I have several goals...

$5000 Christmas Vacation (we decided last year that what we spend on Christmas could have funded a sking/Christmas vacation. The kids were told they would get 1 gift each and the rest would be used for vacation).
$9,500

The plan:
Money from my paycheck
Money from DH's paycheck
Money from 2nd/side job
Any bonuses

I will start on June 1.

Wish my luck!

Good Luck and Welcome to the Thread!

lauramama2
05-24-2010, 03:47:53 PM
I havent posted in forever. You all are doing so good! I am still stuck at $800. Every time I get anything else put away something comes up with vehicles, but at least I havent had to touch the $800. I think I posted before that my mom moved out which basically took the $300 a month I was trying to put away away, then dh's employer decided out of the blue that they were reworking the bonus program so now instead of the $1500/year cash bonus (minus taxes) throughout the year they are doing some stupid point system for merchandise through some website they are doing which will probably end up being company logo junk. UGH! So anyways, I dont know what I am really even doing on this thread anymore lol, looks like saving just isnt going to happen like I planned.

VivaciousJewelz
05-24-2010, 04:03:56 PM

I have several goals...

$9,500

The plan:
Money from my paycheck
Money from DH's paycheck
Money from 2nd/side job
Any bonuses

I will start on June 1.

Wish my luck!

Good luck and welcome!

I havent posted in forever. You all are doing so good! I am still stuck at $800. Every time I get anything else put away something comes up with vehicles, but at least I havent had to touch the $800. I think I posted before that my mom moved out which basically took the $300 a month I was trying to put away away, then dh's employer decided out of the blue that they were reworking the bonus program so now instead of the $1500/year cash bonus (minus taxes) throughout the year they are doing some stupid point system for merchandise through some website they are doing which will probably end up being company logo junk. UGH! So anyways, I dont know what I am really even doing on this thread anymore lol, looks like saving just isnt going to happen like I planned.

No problem I'm stuck too and I've barely started.

amylynne01
05-27-2010, 06:54:12 PM
Another deposit today.

$35 from a prepaid gc

Total: $35.00

$1495.86/$1572.98 by the end of May
$1495.86/$3000.00 by the end of December

I am pretty certain I won't make my goal for this month unless tomorrow and Saturday are magical mail days lol. I have $44 in rebates and birthday money to deposit, but it isn't enough. Oh well.

amylynne01
05-31-2010, 11:11:29 AM
Another deposit today.

$1.30 from interest
$9 from rebates
$75 from L's bday

Total: $85.30

$1581.16/$1572.98 by the end of May:BigHand:
$1581.16/$3000.00 by the end of December

My June goal is another $250 or to be at $1831.16. I'm hoping June is a big month because I'm having a yard sale this weekend and am hoping I make at least $300.

On a side note, what 1 year old gets $75 in cash for her birthday? She also got a $50 Target gc, so we're going to buy some new PJs and a toy or two. She really doesn't NEED anything.

jenrose
05-31-2010, 11:27:34 AM
Another deposit today.

$1.30 from interest
$9 from rebates
$75 from L's bday (what 1 year old gets $75 in cash for her birthday??)

Total: $85.30

$1581.16/$1572.98 by the end of May:BigHand:
$1581.16/$3000.00 by the end of December

My June goal is another $250 or to be at $1831.16. I'm hoping June is a big month because I'm having a yard sale this weekend and am hoping I make at least $300.

On a side note, what 1 year old gets $75 in cash for her birthday? She also got a $50 Target gc, so we're going to buy some new PJs and a toy or two. She really doesn't NEED anything.

Every time my boys get cash for their birthdays or christmas I put it in thier savings accounts. I opened both boys an early saver saving account when they were infants. Also if I have to return a present that someone else bought them (other than stuff DH or I bought) that money also goes into their savings accounts. The early saver accounts have a slightly higher interest rate for the first $500. They are not allowed to touch the money to spend on crap they don't need but I also want money given to them to be theirs and not mine. Hopefully they will have a nice amount of money in there by the time they are old enough to be trusted with it. It seems to be averaging about $100 for every year of their age. DS1 a little more and DS2 slightly less for some reason.

amylynne01
05-31-2010, 12:21:19 PM
Every time my boys get cash for their birthdays or christmas I put it in thier savings accounts. I opened both boys an early saver saving account when they were infants. Also if I have to return a present that someone else bought them (other than stuff DH or I bought) that money also goes into their savings accounts. The early saver accounts have a slightly higher interest rate for the first $500. They are not allowed to touch the money to spend on crap they don't need but I also want money given to them to be theirs and not mine. Hopefully they will have a nice amount of money in there by the time they are old enough to be trusted with it. It seems to be averaging about $100 for every year of their age. DS1 a little more and DS2 slightly less for some reason.

I think that's what I'm going to do. This is the first time this has happened to either girl. Sometimes my gramma slips $2 in an Easter card or something for E, so we buy a book or something. I need to find a good account with good interest for them.

jenrose
05-31-2010, 04:12:14 PM
I think that's what I'm going to do. This is the first time this has happened to either girl. Sometimes my gramma slips $2 in an Easter card or something for E, so we buy a book or something. I need to find a good account with good interest for them.

If it's single dollar bills or change it just goes in their piggy banks, but anything above a $1 I keep and transfer that much into their savings accounts (easier to just keep the money for me and transfer instead of trying to deposit into their accts directly). And if their piggy banks start getting alot of bills and/or overflowing with change I pull out some and deposit it. But they like putting the $ into their piggy banks.

VivaciousJewelz
06-01-2010, 01:49:07 PM
If it's single dollar bills or change it just goes in their piggy banks, but anything above a $1 I keep and transfer that much into their savings accounts (easier to just keep the money for me and transfer instead of trying to deposit into their accts directly). And if their piggy banks start getting alot of bills and/or overflowing with change I pull out some and deposit it. But they like putting the $ into their piggy banks.

That's good advice! I should start a piggy bank for Cara.

cjpsmom
06-03-2010, 04:51:41 AM
Still haven't rolled my change and I have some rebates to cash.

My goal for June...to reach $1000...keep your fingers crossed for me:)

amylynne01
06-03-2010, 05:50:40 AM
^You can do it! I know you can.

cjpsmom
06-03-2010, 07:02:44 AM
I'm really liking this thread...I haven't really saved (on a regular basis) until this came along...and I like amylynne cheering me on!! Thank you!

tinkinpink84
06-03-2010, 07:21:57 AM
This is a really good thread. currently we only have about $400 in our savings and half of it is about to come out for the hubbys truck. Son just had to put water in his gas tank! I dont have specific amounts to add to savings just what i can when i can. And hubby goes for training soon so he gets extra money for being seperated from his family wich will go into savings cz i never expected it now so ill pretend it doesnt exist then!

jenrose
06-03-2010, 07:29:52 AM
I had a talk with DH the other night. And actually got him to agree that we need to get an emergency fund going. :BigHand: I think that's half the battle. But he doesn't see it happening until October. :shrug7: Baby steps I guess. :giggle2:

tinkinpink84
06-03-2010, 07:37:55 AM
yeah me and my hubby are trying to get an emergency fund. We are still waiting on our house taxes but we get 2,000 less since when i worked they didnt take any taxes out all year!

cjpsmom
06-03-2010, 07:42:43 AM
We pretty much have an emergency fund going and adding to it when we can. This "fund" is for something else. I know what I'm saving for but a new sewing machine is sounding so much more fun...HA!

amylynne01
06-03-2010, 07:47:06 AM
I think an emergency fund is SO important. We have one. It's not nearly enough, but it makes me feel better knowing that the money is there, just in case. We are working on adding more and more to it. Once Disney is all saved for, I'll be saving for that.

(I know it sounds like my priorities are backwards, but a family vacation is very important and much needed for us. We have enough in our emergency for us to be okay with this.)

jenrose
06-03-2010, 08:03:02 AM
I told DH I want at least 3 months of expenses in an emergency fund that is NOT TO BE TOUCHED. Then save up a second fund for his buying and selling of snowmobiles and such that he enjoys doing on the side. Currently he has been using the home equity line of credit to fund his buying and selling and I hate paying interest on that crap. He still comes out ahead in the end but if we had a fund especially for it then we would come out even more ahead and wouldn't have payments to deal with between when he buys & sells.

ravenhart
06-03-2010, 06:22:14 PM
I'm back on this desperately!!
This may be a little out of my league but I want to save $5,000 by the end of the year for:
$1000 emergency fund (needs to be alot more - but baby steps)
$2000 vacation funds for mini vacations (dh desperately needs plus going to visit son & his fam)
2000 extra towards being debt free
which means I need to be bringing in $715 a month (ouch!) in addition to working.

I will be doing garage sale(s), coupon savings, MIR's, selling items online, extra jobs, saving change.

You guys are inspiring me!!!!

amylynne01
06-04-2010, 10:23:27 AM
Another deposit today. I accidentally transferred $35 from a prepaid gc twice. I didn't realize it until I updated our Quicken acct today!

Total: $35.00

$1616.16/$1831.16 by the end of June
$1616.16/$3000.00 by the end of December

I'm having a yard sale tomorrow, and $300 of the proceeds will go to Disney, and the rest to home projects (if we make that much). Wish me luck!

jonjaktez
06-04-2010, 10:26:45 AM
$67 in savings.

amylynne01
06-04-2010, 10:39:06 AM
$67 in savings.

:dance7: Great job!

nmeadows0101
06-04-2010, 10:39:36 AM
I would like to jump on if I can:)

I am trying to build back up Our ER fund ( step 1) - we are at $618 now and each week I want to add $25 or more ( depending on his checks).

I wish there was a simple way to take what we save each week or month and put that into savings or debts. That would be nice.

VivaciousJewelz
06-04-2010, 11:28:25 AM
Wow! You guys are doing SOOO well!

I am back to having nothing in savings... UGH! Life keeps happening. The year is almost 1/2 gone, though, so I am determined to start saving as much as I can. I don't know if I can do it, but I want $3000 in savings by 2011.

amylynne01
06-08-2010, 03:05:36 PM
I am changing my goals! My June goal is now $2100, and my December goal is $3600. My totals below reflect the change.

Another deposit today. It was a BIG one!

$264 from yard sale
$10.06 from pp from trading
$5.00 from rebate
$6.42 from interest on checking account

Total: $290.48

$1906.64/$2100.00 by the end of June
$1906.64/$3600.00 by the end of December

jenrose
06-08-2010, 03:15:03 PM
I am changing my goals! My June goal is now $2100, and my December goal is $3600. My totals below reflect the change.

$264 from yard sale
$5.00 from rebate

I take it your garage sale was a success. Great Job! :BigHand:

VivaciousJewelz
06-09-2010, 06:51:30 AM

$264 from yard sale
$5.00 from rebate

Awesome! Can you share your secret with us about how you save rather than spend? Like, I'm sure you think of things day-to-day like "Oh, that would be nice to have" or even if there is a SUPER great sale going on... how do you resist? :giggle2: I need to LEARN from you!!!

amylynne01
06-09-2010, 07:47:15 AM
Awesome! Can you share your secret with us about how you save rather than spend? Like, I'm sure you think of things day-to-day like "Oh, that would be nice to have" or even if there is a SUPER great sale going on... how do you resist? :giggle2: I need to LEARN from you!!!

Hmm. I think right now I am SO focused on Disney that any extra money goes towards the trip because I know we have enough money to cover everything else. We're not swimming in dough (that would be nice), but our bills and stuff are covered with my husband's paycheck.

I also don't have easy access to my Disney fund. It is held at Capital One which is an online bank. I don't have a debit card for the account, and the only way to get the money is to have my husband write a check from the account. Only his name is on the account, so he is my checks and balance system!

If there is a super great sale, we don't eat out or I make my hubby's dinners for work a couple extra times. Or if I spend a lot of my grocery budget, I won't hit every sale this month because the stuff WILL go on sale again.

It is also really encouraging to see my fund grow. It may only be $50 today, but in a month it could be $150. Then in another month it could be $250!

Personally, I think it comes down to 2 things. 1 - having money available to save. If you are spending more than you make in a month, you have to fix that before you can save anything. 2 - will power. You have to be dedicated to saving AND leaving it alone. If you have both, your money will grow grow grow.

cjpsmom
06-09-2010, 07:57:41 AM
I want to be just like you when I grow up-teehee.

Still holding on to my rebates (haven't cashed yet) and still needing to roll change...life seems a little too much for me to handle sometimes...

VivaciousJewelz
06-09-2010, 08:00:19 AM
I want to be just like you when I grow up-teehee.

Still holding on to my rebates (haven't cashed yet) and still needing to roll change...life seems a little too much for me to handle sometimes...

Make sure you don't hold on to them so long that you can't cash them. Some of those have tricky "Not Valid After" dates. One I got was only 30 days!

cjpsmom
06-09-2010, 08:33:36 AM
Thanks for the heads up...gonna try to get to the bank today!

ravenhart
06-09-2010, 09:11:31 AM
Hmm. I think right now I am SO focused on Disney that any extra money goes towards the trip because I know we have enough money to cover everything else. We're not swimming in dough (that would be nice), but our bills and stuff are covered with my husband's paycheck.

I also don't have easy access to my Disney fund. It is held at Capital One which is an online bank. I don't have a debit card for the account, and the only way to get the money is to have my husband write a check from the account. Only his name is on the account, so he is my checks and balance system!

If there is a super great sale, we don't eat out or I make my hubby's dinners for work a couple extra times. Or if I spend a lot of my grocery budget, I won't hit every sale this month because the stuff WILL go on sale again.

It is also really encouraging to see my fund grow. It may only be $50 today, but in a month it could be $150. Then in another month it could be $250!

Personally, I think it comes down to 2 things. 1 - having money available to save. If you are spending more than you make in a month, you have to fix that before you can save anything. 2 - will power. You have to be dedicated to saving AND leaving it alone. If you have both, your money will grow grow grow.

:RockOn: :encourage17:

I couldn't find one that was bowing down LOl! You see to have a great handle on saving money!! You did hit it on the head for me as to why I'm not because we spend more than dh makes and so anything I bring in (I'm self employed) goes towards bills. I either need to bring in more $$ or cut more expenses (not much left to cut) or actually BOTH!!

I'm doing much better on not eating out :BigHand: finally hehe! It's tough to not give into that temptation for sure! Dh and I both are writing down what we spend (finally got him to do this!) and I guess I'm still not sure on that because I do it when I'm trying to cut down already. Also, do you write down what you spend your "allowance" on or just general spending? I control the bank acct although he has a debit card but he knows not to use it unless I say there is $$ he can. He keeps some out of his check each week for whatever. I want to be able to keep enough on a walmart card for him for gas.
He also goes out to eat (fast food) several times a week so I'm trying to break him of that this week - he has come home (not far) everyday for lunch - maybe tomorrow I can fix it for him to take to the park close to work since he doesn't leave as early.

I understand about watching it grow but it's funny - it's like I get itchitous to spend it (can you tell I've never been a huge saver?!) We're saving our change which isn't adding up much since I"m trying not to spend, so I think I'll start up again where any $5 bill I get goes into a "special" savings and then I can throw in extra ones or something. I'm having a garage sale next weekend - I have mixed feelings on this - may divide up. I want a cushion in our bank acct (also to get ahead of bills) and to start our emergency fund...we'll see!

Your inspiring me!! Keep it up! I need it!! :smile:

amylynne01
06-09-2010, 09:34:05 AM
Ravenhart, I use Quicken which tracks every time we use our debit card, pay bills, write checks, etc. It does not count what we use in cash, but we each are allowed $20 per week for whatever (coffee, fast food, stuff not included in our monthly budget etc). If we run out of cash, no more til Thursday (our pay day). A lot of the time, my $20 lasts 2-3 weeks, while hubby needs it every week. I also control the $, so DH asks me first if he needs to make a purchase. I don't carry my credit card with me, so if I don't have money, I don't buy.

I know that you guys can do it. What if I ran a little contest to help motivate you??

cjpsmom
06-09-2010, 10:07:44 AM
I'd lose....but what the heck:)

jenrose
06-09-2010, 10:23:55 AM
I'd lose....but what the heck:)

No, I would. :hysterical:

ravenhart
06-09-2010, 11:46:41 AM
No, I would. :hysterical:

Sounds like we may have to do some tie breakers for losing :hysterical:

What kind of contest? I love challenges...you think I could save right??? :giggle2:

Ok, I socked away a $5 bill!!!!

cjpsmom
06-10-2010, 01:36:35 PM
:wavehi:Well, I finally cashed my rebate checks in and need to add them to my total. Drumroll please........$79.00

Brings my grand total to $923.00 (of my $1000 goal for the month of June).:BigHand::BigHand::BigHand:

Aaaannnnnd....I have about $40 more to submit for!:smile:

ravenhart
06-10-2010, 03:27:26 PM
:wavehi:Well, I finally cashed my rebate checks in and need to add them to my total. Drumroll please........$79.00

Brings my grand total to $923.00 (of my $1000 goal for the month of June).:BigHand::BigHand::BigHand:

Aaaannnnnd....I have about $40 more to submit for!:smile:

That's how much you've received in rebate checks this month???? Awesome! I don't see that many forms - definitely need to be on the lookout more!

amylynne01
06-10-2010, 03:50:42 PM
You can also trade for ones. I NEVER find any in MA - I trade for all of them!

I'm thinking about my contest details. It would need to end before I go on vacay the first week in July, so I'll get something up quick. Everyone who plays is a winner, but the WINNER winner may get a little something special to add to their savings.:whistle67:

ravenhart
06-10-2010, 06:04:32 PM

I'm thinking about my contest details. It would need to end before I go on vacay the first week in July, so I'll get something up quick. Everyone who plays is a winner, but the WINNER winner may get a little something special to add to their savings.:whistle67:

WooHOO!!

cjpsmom
06-11-2010, 04:52:43 AM
That's how much you've received in rebate checks this month???? Awesome! I don't see that many forms - definitely need to be on the lookout more!

I sent a TON out in the last month or so....I traded for winetag rebates w/ NWPR and no state restrictions....this is not the norm.

Cool! Love the new pic.:wink7:

ravenhart
06-11-2010, 03:45:27 PM
I just guess I didn't think about trading for MIR"s. I finally found a NBPR rebate in a store here so maybe we'll get more!!

I sent a TON out in the last month or so....I traded for winetag rebates w/ NWPR and no state restrictions....this is not the norm.

Cool! Love the new pic.:wink7:

ravenhart
06-15-2010, 07:16:29 AM
Ok - who is saving or who is having trouble saving?
I like the $5 deal because I think about it everytime I see a $5 bill. I just put back 2 more for a total of $15 saved!!! I've been reading (ahem) this debtonator course that I'm paying $17 a month for 6 months and I'm glad I did - he has spun things in a different way than I'm used to reading. So yesterday my wheels got started turning on some ways to bring down expenses and I'm like WoW I could have x amount of $$ freed up by doing this - so that will be one thing I'm working on. I know debt is a different challenge but it got me thinking of ways so that I could save more. I'm tweaking just a bit here:
NEED - EF...any amount right now would be better than none
We don't have a budget amount (whichi is not my way to plan an event but I'm not the only one doing this) we're doing a triple 60th anniversary party for - my parents and 2 other couples who they've been friends with far too long to remember and they all had 60th this year - we're waiting for the last couple to hit 60 in October before we have the party - so I will need $$$$ for my part - there are 5 of us splitting it. I need at least $170 just for my part of the room rental - not including cake, cake table (we're in charge of our own parents on this), any flowers, decorations I want to do for it, food!!!! beverages (no alcohol - thank goodness!), etc. We've already done the gift so that's not an issue.

Then that also leaves vacation(s) my hubby turns 40 this year and he elected to go to his mom's instead of her coming here so he could also see his grandmother who can't travel - so that will be getting there, hotel and she's usually good about taking care of food but we'll have some. That still leaves him a few days of vacation time that I have no clue what we're doing LOL!

and the list goes on and on.......of things I need to save for. At least my eyes are finally getting open on this. Thanks for having this thread!! Now how is everyone else doing??

amylynne01
06-16-2010, 04:30:49 AM
Another deposit today.

$22.10 from survey site
$8.00 from 2 rebates

Total: $30.10

$1936.74/$2100.00 by the end of June
$1936.74/$3600.00 by the end of December

ravenhart
06-16-2010, 01:14:51 PM
Added some more today!! I'm personally saving all my 5's and dh and I are saving change together - so grand total $38.61!! I just have to keep telling myself - It's not really there, It's not really there or I would be tempted to go spend.

I want to have at least $100 in cash at home for natural disaster kind of emergencies so after that I will start putting it in a savings account.