PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Weight Watcher's so that I can support my husband!

cody82414
01-18-2010, 11:56:06 PM
If this is in the wrong place, please redirect:smile:

DH announced attempting the points system.
I asked if that was Weight Watchers and he nodded.

I know nothing about the program.
NADA.

I am one of those naturally scrawny gals who chooses celery over chocolate anyday (DO throw tomatoes please:giggle2:)

I need help in cooking for DH and the remainder of the family
to support his efforts.
I would rather not have to pay out of pocket,
so I am looking for any assistance that you may think will help.

DH is about 100 pounds overweight,
so this is a BIG decision for him.
I just want to do what I can to support him.

Thanks to all!

cpaige
01-19-2010, 04:34:47 AM
from what i remember, the point system is basically a break down for serving size. i'm sure it's been tweaked since I've been there, but it really is very easy to cook/follow. if you look online, i bet you can find recipes for it! oh! and their veggie soup is awesome!

bethanyam
01-19-2010, 05:39:44 AM
Here is an online calculator that you can input the info from food to see how many points the food is. Weight Watchers Points Calculator (http://www.webmilhouse.com/pointcalc.php)
If you can find the books/calculator online like ebay or somewhere they are a wonderful help.

You do need to decide how many points a day he is allowed. I'm not sure where you find that out...I had a printout that helped you decided....If you don't know his points I will try to find my copy and help.

It does work if you stick to the point system, and if you are willing to help that will be even better. I've pretty much fallen "off the wagon" because my family didn't want to eat the foods I chose to eat and I was just too lazy to fight them over it..but I'm thinking since I cook they can eat it or cook theirselves. :)

But anyway good luck and I will try to find my printouts incase you need any of the info from them.

sandygirl
01-19-2010, 06:22:14 AM
It does work - I've done Weight Watchers several times.

Making him involved in choosing what is for a meal in key - he may say I only have X many points left so can we do something that fits within that.

kaedeebug
01-19-2010, 07:30:28 AM
I am doing weight watchers and have a great site to share but don't know if that is allowed but pm and I will give it to you. Has he checked into the core program of ww's? I did flex last year and I stayed hungry but on core it is so much healthier and filling. I guess that is why they call it simply filling now LOL!

hrdlckwmn
01-19-2010, 07:34:58 AM
'ello...
congrats to your dh for doing this and to you for standing by him.

i'm a ww as well without very much family support and its difficult to do it by yourself. i've got a couple of sweet recipes that i learned at meetings that are one or zero points. also there is hungry girl, she is a cook/ww also.

if you would like to talk, pm me...

i'm more than happy to help

selah
01-19-2010, 09:19:09 AM
I am currently doing WW....here is a site where you can determine your points for the day....

How many weight watchers points am i allowed? - Yahoo! Answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080222122055AAl4Dce)

cody82414
06-01-2012, 05:41:23 AM
DH is attempting WW again, this time WW Points Plus.
Is anyone doing this with success??

chitownmelli
06-01-2012, 05:50:58 AM
I've done pretty well - when I got myself to actually sit here and track the foods that I have eaten.

A couple of things that I always keep in mind though, even when I am not tracking points on the computer - bread eats up a lot of points, so I scale down my bread servings, veggies and fruits are pretty much low/ no points, so if you are hungry you can take it up with a bowl of strawberries :D Potatoes make a dent in the points but can still be had if done in moderation. And pepsi, oh that sweet pepsi... I allowed myself 10 oz a day so I didn't miss it so badly, and then also didn't have to hang my head in shame when it took up I think something like 16 points or something if I drank a whole 20 oz bottle....

I really need to start logging again, I was able to drop a few pounds per week when I paid closer attention to what I was doing...

Good luck to your DH!!!

to1drland
06-01-2012, 08:06:33 AM
I have 2 girlfriends who have been doing the PP on WW since the beginning of march, one has lost 30 lbs. the other 25lbs. But both complain about being hungry a lot. Men seem to drop the weight faster, so maybe your dh would have better results. I recommend filling up w/ lots of veggies! I lost 16 lbs. in 2 months the last time I did it.

cody82414
06-02-2012, 06:03:22 AM
thanks for chiming in to1.

He has lost 2 pounds since Tuesday,
so I hope the initial weight loss will help motivate him to continue!!

kschick96
06-02-2012, 06:17:01 AM
I am a big lover of weight watchers! It's the most realitic program out there (at least that's what I think) becuase you can eat anything, anywhere. A about 6 years ago, I lost 20lbs easy and I was eating out for every meal ) I used to travel all of the time for work-so eating out was the only option for me. FF to now where I am married with a kiddo and I have to say things are much harder now because you are having to worry about others and their food also. About the new program, I just started my self this week! The new program is awesome becuase about 95% of fruit and veggie are freebies, so that helps if you need a snack or want to have a bit more on your plate. I wish your hubby the best on his weight loss journey!

cody82414
06-09-2012, 12:41:37 PM
DH lost 7 pounds in the first week of WW PP

434Teresa
06-09-2012, 02:00:12 PM
Its not for everyone... I done it for over 6 months and I gained. I was very careful about my adding points/ect. My dr and the ww people were telling me to give my body time to learn to eat right/ect but I did not want to gain anymore wieght. They were telling me that maybe I was not eating enough of my points, I was under by very few points in a days time and I would have to make myself eat more food some days so I would be close to where I was suppose to be. I have and used a scale and all.
I was not use to eating that much food..I am on meds that can cause weight gain,several different ones I take can cause weight gain but I have to have them.

I stop going and now go to a weightloss place where there is a Dr that you see each month. They are there to talk to you anytime you need them tho. I have lost 28 pounds since this past march...as you know I have steped my exercise up also but I think that has some do with my weightloss.

What this boils down to for me was that the points they said I was to eat each day was just to high for me because of the meds I was on.. I was told that if I did not eat my points that I would not lose because my body needed that many point to function each day.

I know someone else that has lost 17 pounds on WW but is now been stuck for about 8/9 weeks at the weigh that she is by one pound up or down at each weigh in. She has let them look at her food logs and they just told her to hang it there is will move down again..she is upset for its $12 a week for her to go there

I dont mean to sound negtive about it for I know it works for some but its not the magic system for all.

cody82414
06-20-2012, 05:56:35 AM
DH has lost 14 pounds in 3 weeks

cody82414
06-26-2012, 06:22:27 AM
down 17 pounds in 4 weeks,
and DH is not using WW products at all

clippyclippy
06-26-2012, 07:36:57 AM
That's great progress!
Those WW products are just for added convenience. You certainly don't need to use them, and using regular foods makes it more likely to be successful in the long run. Rather than rely on the pre-portioned ready made stuff, you look at foods in a new way, and it's a great way to learn portion control and balance.

cody82414
06-26-2012, 08:04:37 AM
That's my thinking too!
I am hoping that he gets to think about the entire process -
why do I feel like I need to eat when I know that I am not hungry?
what is going on with me and my circumstances right now?
what can I control? and what do I have to let go?
why do I feel the need to be overly stuffed?
what am I trying to fulfill or accomplish and what am I missing in my life, right now?
can I do something else for the time being and see whether this too shall pass??

Thanks clippyclippy!

XUfan
06-26-2012, 08:16:21 AM
down 17 pounds in 4 weeks,
and DH is not using WW products at all

Great Job!!!! Give hubby a pat on the back for me!

I'm on week 3 right now, and I'm down 5.5 pounds. It takes an effort, but it's soooo worth it! I'm not using any of the WW products, either. They don't fit into my budget, and I've never really been a big fan of frozen dinners, so why start now?

Is he journaling? If so, it will really help him to see why he gets hungry...or why he eats when he's not hungry. I'm a social eater, so it's pretty easy for me to figure out that if I see food going into someone's mouth, I think I need to join them. It's a hard habit to break! Also, I've found that I seem to head for the fridge whenever I can get my baby granddaughter to go down for a nap. Not sure why...but I noticed the pattern last week. Today, I put my crossword puzzle book in there! LOL!!! When she falls asleep, and I head for the fridge, it will be my reminder to do something else with my hands, other than feeding my face!

cody82414
06-26-2012, 09:16:17 AM
love this Carol!!

cody82414
08-11-2012, 11:05:59 AM
32 pounds down!