PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in a decluttering challenge?

tonyarn
12-28-2009, 10:00:48 PM
Just curious...I have an idea and wondered if anyone would wanna jump on board for some support and encouragement.

jen276here
12-28-2009, 10:04:00 PM
I'm all for it and have actually been working hard at it for the last month or so - but still have alot to go!

Lucky1307
12-28-2009, 10:08:39 PM
Would love to. I do ok for awhile but then it all piles back up.

mshopper
12-28-2009, 10:59:00 PM
Would love to. I do ok for awhile but then it all piles back up.

My problem, exactly...:shrug7:

cupunlvr
12-28-2009, 11:28:15 PM
I'm interested......my ears are open! We had the carpeting replaced in all the bedrooms in our home which required us to empty all the closets and purge under the beds. What a job but it got the ball rolling! We have a quite a few boxes lined up in the front hallway to go to Goodwill and I keep finding more!

carisal
12-28-2009, 11:43:32 PM
yes, I totally need to de-clutter but DH has been holding me back, its just so discouraging when I ask him "can I get rid of this?" and the answer to every thing is NO (the weight lifting equipment that hasnt been used for at least 3 years, taking up my whole patio... I would love to have the patio to take the kids out on some times; the HUGE 50 cd changer stereo taking up a whole corner of the living room, not used for like 5 years.... etc etc) I have some things set aside/bagged up etc..... but would help to have some encouragement, not just setbacks. I'm tired of looking at things that dont get used.

Maismom
12-28-2009, 11:59:14 PM
This is exactly what I need to do in 2010:biggrin:

lostinthemission
12-29-2009, 12:00:55 AM
I feel like the answer to all de-cluttering, and cleaning issues now is "Just go watch hoarders". It makes me clean every time. I watched it today. My house is sparkling, and all I want to do is throw everything away. Watch it, and try not clean, I dare you! :wink7:

crecian
12-29-2009, 04:44:04 AM
this sounds like a good idea. I need to declutter too. Way too much junk in my house that we don't touch, probably because we don't even know some of it here with the mess we have...my husband is no help though.

DebK1013
12-29-2009, 04:58:34 AM
Im in. I call it decrapping in my house! LOL

When if find items in my house I can no longer use I ask friends or send out an email to my "office friends" to see if anyone can use it. I have given away tv's, beds, and traded GC's I wouldnt use.

Now I need to find a dresser for my DD so I will send out my feelers for that. I think its better than just throwing away items.

mzbeers
12-29-2009, 05:01:34 AM
I'm in, I sooooo need to decrap this house!!!

shannon1189
12-29-2009, 05:09:59 AM
I am in also. This house is so small. I would love to hear your ideas.

thorrocks1
12-29-2009, 05:16:28 AM
I'm in as well

Castingbread
12-29-2009, 05:16:29 AM
Years ago I read a book "The Messy's Handbook" by Messy's Anonymous founder and it has really helped me over the years--it explains the "psychology of messies vs. cleanies". I know she has a website that might have some helpful info, too, and her books may be able to be found at your libraries for anyone interested. I think her name is Sandra Feldon (something like that).

I'm am working on "touch ups" in the dejunking area to keep on top of it--but reading and applying the book years ago has kept me pretty much on track.

Others in the house being hoarders is always stressful when you are trying to get it together. Best wishes to you all.

momof4inmi
12-29-2009, 05:35:23 AM
I would love to join as well. I need to get everything "decrapped" before we move in april/may. It would be so nice to only take what we use/need to the new house.

kval07
12-29-2009, 06:03:47 AM
I'm in, but have no idea how successful I'll be since I live with a slob. I've been working on cleaning up for about a week. I've been putting DF to work this week while he isn't working. My plan is to have things good by the end of January.

zansammommy
12-29-2009, 06:34:04 AM
I am in! I am thinking about rearranging all the rooms in our house so they flow better. My son's funiture was moved around last night but now I still need to tackle all the piles of books and toys that have gathered in the corners.

Mama Stu
12-29-2009, 07:09:01 AM
Just curious...I have an idea and wondered if anyone would wanna jump on board for some support and encouragement.

Awww, I thought you were looking for a challenge and since you live in the same state I do , I was going to offer my house for you to declutter:hysterical::hysterical:.

colleenh28
12-29-2009, 07:10:01 AM
I'm in too! Too many toys! Need to list them on ebay asap.
Gonna check out that "hoarders" show on youtube. I'll let you know how things turn out..lol

XUfan
12-29-2009, 07:23:08 AM
If you walked into my house right now, you'd probably say that I don't need this challenge. My house always appears to be clean. It's almost always "company ready." BUT....Don't open ANY closets, cabinets, drawers, the spare bedroom, or the storage room in the back of the garage!!!!!! They are disasters!!!!

So...count me in!!! I need to de-clutter and seriously dump a bunch of stuff! We're still not sure if the bank is going to let us keep our house, and I really don't want to move all of the extra stuff into a (probably) smaller house if we have to move.

ineedcoupons2
12-29-2009, 07:51:01 AM
I started this last week. I donate, & yes they come and pick up my stuff. My pick-up day is the 30th right in time for a nice clutter free home for the new year. Right now I'm at 4 33 gal bags of clothes, 3 bags of toys and 7 boxes of misc stuff. I'm doing it like this: if we haven't used it in the last 60 days we don't need it, it has to go. I find it less stressful to sort the stuff by myself. Because when I get help from my family......someone always wants to keep something that hasn't been used in a very long time.

Julz81
12-29-2009, 08:42:28 AM
I'm so in, I have been wanting to do this for a while but need motivation! A challenge would really help kick my butt into gear!

cdcoffell
12-29-2009, 09:45:29 AM
I'm so in on this one, we have way toooo... much stuff that we never use!!!

kremsh
12-29-2009, 09:51:27 AM
I want in too! You would think with just me and DS in the house now there wouldn't be so much crap but when DD moved out then moved back in and then out again she couldn't take all her furniture with her so I've just had to make space for it. I'd love to de-clutter the house and make it more visitor ready all the time! Now to figure out what to do with that weight set DS had to have and then put in the middle of the front room!

I think I need a support group to help me along!

cody82414
12-29-2009, 09:57:26 AM
I am in!

Before we left for the holidays,
my basement flooded for the third time this year.

This time, I am going through and just pitching things.

the trash collectors are going to love me:rolleyes24:

Zwella Ingrid
12-29-2009, 09:57:51 AM
Sounds like a helpful challenge that I could really use. I'm joining the January stockpile challenge again, so I'm not sure how faithful I can be to post on two challenges, but I'll give it a shot. My house needs to be decluttered badly.

tonyarn
12-29-2009, 06:24:23 PM
OK...I'm going to post it now. It'll be titled "2010 in 2010" if you need help finding it. I'm so glad so many want in!!!

everprincess
12-29-2009, 06:37:09 PM
I'm all in for this too! One more day working and then I have a four day weekend. I need to get motivated and clean up.

stacyloucks
12-29-2009, 06:51:31 PM
I'm in too. I'm actually very good at decluttering. I worked with a professional organizer for years. I could literally find anything in my house with my eyes closed. She taught me so much. Then... we moved a year ago and all my systems aren't in place in my new place, so nothing really has a "place". We also had major water damage and the repairs shuffled everything around in the house too. So I'm ready!

As for living with family members who make this project more difficult - I can totally relate. What I also learned though was that when there are only 8 towels and only 1 possible place for them to ever go - they put them there.

I look forward to the accountability with everyone and I am happy to share the tricks I was taught for my home and office.

Am I breaking any rules if I post links to websites on here? There are 2 great sites that I refer to for organizing ideas.

Smee
12-29-2009, 08:37:12 PM
But I don't want to be challenged! I want to be coddled.http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/dafreakinlurker/smileyboxed.gif

I so need a good home purge.

Saving_spree
12-30-2009, 04:44:50 AM
I was waiting for an opportunity like this.. I love challenges..

mama22qts
12-30-2009, 05:45:20 AM
I feel like the answer to all de-cluttering, and cleaning issues now is "Just go watch hoarders". It makes me clean every time. I watched it today. My house is sparkling, and all I want to do is throw everything away. Watch it, and try not clean, I dare you! :wink7:

There was a man in my area a few days ago who died in a house fire. The firemen said he was a hoarder and that his stuff hampered their saving efforts...they couldn't get to him and he died in his stuff. SAD.:sad: