PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss Tips

kimandkathess
10-15-2009, 07:34:03 PM
I have noticed many threads devoted to losing weight. So I figured I would post all of this info in one place. I have gotten on the wagon as well to lose weight, i have gotten on and fallen off many times. But i am at my wits end. Have been overweight since 2002, when i had my first child, and frankly, im tired of being this way. Anyway onto the tips.

I noticed that some people are emotional eaters. I was too. But since I have used these little tricks im not. When I get stessed out and want "comfort food" I have a few choices.

**I turn on some good tunes.** I like to listen to Beyonce, Rihanna, Michael Jackson, and some more, but there are too many to list, basically listen to something with a beat that gets you in the mood to do something besides eat. When I here those songs I feel like working out, or cleaning the house, anything that gets me moving.

**I also think about what I am eating.** Even if your emotionally eating you have to look at what your eating. Instead of just eating it, i look at it and say to myself...is this really going to make me feel better. 9 times out of 10 its not, because the item is way fattening.
You will not feel better because after eating it, your going to be more upset than when you started.
If you really feel the need to eat something then pick something healthy. I have a few desert type recipies that are low in fat. If you want me to send you some, just pm me.
You could cut up fruits and veggies ahead of time and store them in ziploc baggies. One thing about "junk food" that we emotional eaters like so much, is that its ready to eat. You don't have to prepare it. So if you have your healthy stuff made all you have to do is grab it and eat it, before you have the chance to change your mind over to an unhealthy choice.

I recomend on drinking a lot of water or something low in calories. I am one who doesnt really like just water, but I have discovered that powerade makes powerade with NO CALORIES. So you get the liquid you need with taste and no calories. If your belly is full on liquid then you wont have room to stuff junk food in there. You may also try training your mind to drink water or powerade when your upset or emotional, rather than eat.
Another thing you might do is throw those cut up fruits in a blender with some ice, juice and yogurt. Theres a quick and sweat treat for you thats low in calories.

Now onto something other than food. You should have a journal. I do, I have taken measurements of all my body. I am including my stats. I am a 5' 7' women and most of these measurements are inches.
Beginning** Current **Goal
Neck 14** 13 3/4 **13
forearm (each one) 11.5 **11** 10
Bicep (each one) 13 **13 **11
Bust 37 **37** 36
Waste 38** 38 **28
Hips 41.5 **41** 36
Butt 44** 43 **38
Thigh (each one) 26 1/4 **25 1/2 **20
Calfs (each one) 16 1/4 **16 1/4 **12
Weight 185** 178.6** 135
% body fat 32.1% **- **14%
(you need to have atleast 10% body fat to be healthy)
BMI 29 (Lowest healthy bmi is 18.5)
waste to hip ratio .92** -** .7

I have done research on my body type and found out what My measurements should be, and If I couldnt find them, i put in what I think would be good measurement based on common sense.
Every monday morning, before I eat or drink anything, I take my measurements and weigh myself. Sometimes I dont always lose weight, but I lose inches. So when you get depressed on not losing weight you can have another motivator....the inches lost. Keep track of this. Make goal of what you would like to weigh and measure and by what date.

Now working out. Do you have any specific exercises you like to do?
Did you know that you have to have atleast 350minutes a week of cardio to lose 2 lbs a week? so that means you have to sweat moderatly to lose the fat. Of course cutting your calories helps you lose weight but you need to do cardio workouts as well. Cardio can be anything from jumping jacks, running,walking, bike riding. Anything that will get your heart racing and you sweating. I am buying an eliptical. I recomend 1 hr cardio for six days out of the week and take 1 day off. Doing stuff like situps or crunches wont help you lose weight. It will tone up your muscles though, so if you want to do them and have your muscles toned for when you lose the wieght, go ahead, but that wont help you lose the fat. Well I hope I have helped you out. I hope to here from you all and to know where you are in your weight loss journey.
~~I would also recommend getting a pedometer. This will tell you how many steps you take. You should be taking 10,000 a day. A good pedometer will also tell you how many calories you have burned from all your steps.~~
Here are the sites:
SELF Magazine: fitness, nutrition, health and beauty advice: Self.com (http://www.self.com)
I recomend signing up for an account and then signing of for these 3 programs.
*2009 Weight Loss Challenge
*flat abs at last
*Drop 8 lbs
You can opt to have daily tips sent to your email
also look around at the other programs that they offer that might interest you
Body Fat Calculator (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/)
*this will calculate your body fat
BMI Calculator (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/)
*this will calculater your body mass index
Waist to Hip Ratio Calculator (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/waist-to-hip-ratio-calculator/)
*this will tell you your waste to hip ratio
Body Fat Chart (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php)
*this is a body fat chart. This will help you determine how much of your body is bones, organs and muscles.
Body Frame - Free Calculator to find your Body Frame (http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php)
*this will tell you if you have a small, medium, or large frame
Ideal Body Weight - Free Calculator for Ideal Weight (http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/ideal-body-weight-calculator.php)
*this will tell you your ideal weight
*This site also has plenty of other good resources to look at
Body Type Test, Discover Your Body Type - iVillage (http://quiz.ivillage.com/diet/tests/bodytype.htm)
*this will help you find your body type-pear, hourglass...etc.
I also recomend finding a website that shows you how to make lowfat meals.
Well I hope I have helped everyone out. Can't wait to here everyones success.
~~Katrina~~

kimandkathess
10-16-2009, 07:06:03 AM
I have got a few more tips for everyone.

I recommend eating your biggest meal for lunch. You can eat the leftovers from everyones dinner last night. When dishing out everyones meal, make your plate, wrap it up, and stick it in the fridge and the next day you can have it for lunch. You do most of your moving during the middle of the day. You will be abe to work off your biggest meal better than if you had ate it at 5 or 6 at night. If you work outside the home, just take your plate with you to work. You will save money and calories and lose weight at the same time.
Try eating a salad, some fruit, and a slice of toast for your dinner. I like to sprinkle a few (just a few) sunflower seeds on my salad.

If your ordering out try ordering something healthy, like the salad bar. If we go to Mcdonalds, I quickly order a salad before I can change my mind to something unhealthy.....Yes i might want that spicy chicken sandwhich but I won't let myself order it.

Try to eat 100% whole grain foods instead. Many of the carbs we get today are from enriched flower. You can't cut carbs out of your diet completely so get some 100% whole grains in there.

Try making your own 100 calorie packs. The ones on the market today can be expensive. There are snack baggies out there that are just the right size. (no sandwhich baggies) these snack baggies ziploc shut...we don't want stale 100 calorie packs. Just look at the food lable and see how many calories are in a serving.
Ex. Dried fruit (not sure of real amount of calories per serving)
1/4 cup 80cal you can put in slightly more than 1/4 cup for 100calories

Some good foods you can put in you can use for your calorie packs are (besides fruits and veggies)
~Dried fruit
~Part skim string cheese (1 stick is 80 calories) cut into peices and stick in fridge
~Soy chips
~Energy bars cut up and stick in your baggy
~Nuts (make sure they are healthy) Try to avoid peanuts
look around and see what else you can think of

Here are soem sweet treats to try:
~Low fat cool whip between some grahm crackers
~no sugar added fudgesickles (40 calories)
~Fat free, sugar free pudding (80 calories)
~Frozen fruit with a little cocoa sprinkled on top
~Angel food cake. (72 calories and no fat per 3/4 inch slice) Top with The low fat coolwhip and fruit to make it more filling

Good breakfast foods
~Cottage cheese, lowfat version (1/2 cup is 80 cal) I like to sprinkle with salt and pepper for added taste
~Egg whites, sprinkle with a little cheese for flavor
~Oatmeal (not the instant kind)

Drinks to try
Water
Powerade zero
Fat free hot cocoa, blend with ice and skim milk for a shake
Herbal tea(try vanilla)

I hope these have helped everyone out.

~~Katrina~~