PDA

View Full Version : quit smoking

katey66
08-31-2009, 07:13:25 PM
Well, I have been quit for 108 days now. I quit on May 15, 2009 at 11:30 pm. I am doing it. I found a great support site that has helped me so much. There are people there 24/7.
I used the Chantix to help me quit. You need to be careful with it as it has some pretty severe side effects. You are to be on it for the least of 3 months and most of 6. I quit it after 2 months.
I have almost $600 in the bank. I keep taking my "cigarette" money out of the check book, but leaving it in the bank. I needed a new computer, and I had the money to actually buy it off ebay.
I would like to say if anyone is thinking it's not possible, it is. You CAN do it :BigHand:
I did buy Allan Carr's book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking." It really helps with the mental aspect of the quit.
I'll post weekly if not more to let everyone know how it's going.
All the money I'm saving is just icing on the cake. I'm going to use some of it on Black Friday this year!!
Thanks for reading about my journey
Kathy

puakinikini
08-31-2009, 07:38:00 PM
Kathy - Good for you! and congratulations on you accomplishment. Keep us posted as you progress.

katey66
08-31-2009, 07:54:57 PM
Thank you Jen. It is something I need to work at everyday. I don't think of cigarettes hardly at all anymore. Just occasionally. From day one, I took smoking off the table. I did it minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day. The first 3 weeks were the hardest, but wasn't too bad with a positive attitude. I really think that was what did it for me.
I just want to be a helping hand to anyone who may be thinking of quitting. ;)
Kathy

christinalkc
08-31-2009, 08:39:56 PM
Congrats!! That's wonderful and I am so happy for you because you did the right thing for your health and your pocket too :)

I quit smoking back in 2006 and boy it was difficult so I know how you feel. I also think that it is not about what you take to help you quit, it's all about your will power and inner strength!

Cheers!!!

Mrs H
08-31-2009, 10:00:54 PM
WOW--- what a great post! My husband and I both need to stop smoking, badly. Your post is a great inspiration. I'm going to check out the book you suggested, and make a 'stop date'. I quit 1 time for 4months, ohh how I wish I had never started smoking again, but alas I did and I have no one to blame but myself.
Thanks for a great post. I am very proud of anyone who quit and stays off cigs.
Continued success to you and any one else who quit.

Kelly

kota117
08-31-2009, 10:09:15 PM
I too quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago thanks to Allen Carr, His book is a bible to me. Noone believed me that a book could magically make you stop smoking, but it worked for me and a few of my firends too. I had cravings but got through them, I even lived with a smoker and had access to cigarettes but wasn't tempted! I just tell anyone who wants to quit to make a $12 investment and buy the book, what an it hurt?

enginerd
09-01-2009, 07:30:33 AM
Congrats to all who have quit smoking!:BigHand: After having both my father and FIL die of COPD and watch my MIL still dragging around her oxygen tanks, I wouldn't wish that on anybody. It kills me to see young people destroying their health this way.

katey66
09-03-2009, 02:06:29 AM
It is just so amazing how cigarettes brainwash you. Like going outside to "sneak" a cigarette. I always thought no one could smell it on me. Not me, that only happens to everyone else. Found out that I smelt like smoke too. I know now that I can never have a cigarette again. Nicotine is my drug of choice, and I am addicted to it. I would have never admitted that before. I now understand and "get it."
If anyone would like a buddy or just some info, please feel free to pm me. I really want to pay this forward and help everyone I can.
I also learnt to embrace all the "ill comforts" of my quit. The cravings, the headaches, etc. I knew it meant my body and mind are healing.
Thank you everyone. It really means a lot to me.
Kathy

shelleyf
09-03-2009, 05:24:05 AM
I am proud of you for quitting. They say quitting smoking is one of the hardest addictions so you should be very proud. :BigHand:

katey66
09-03-2009, 01:07:01 PM
Thank you Shelley. One thing I have learnt so far is yes, I'm very proud of myself, but I can't let it catch me off guard. I have noticed that at the strangest times, I'll catch myself thinking I wish I could have a cigarette, or I want one. I tell myself it's not an option. I don't smoke anymore. But I'm afraid to let my guard down. I suppose as time goes on, I'll feel better about it, but on the other hand, I know nicotine is my drug of choice. I can't have just one puff.
I can remember so well the day it dawned on me. I'm addicted to nicotine. I was sitting here on the couch on my forum reading, and the saying "One is too many and a thousand isn't enough" made sense to me. I got it. I finally understood what they meant. I can't have just one ever. It will take me right back to where I left off smoking.
I thank God each and every day that I managed to break the cycle. Talking about it helps me, but I feel that if it helps just one more person quit, it is all worth it and more.
Thanks again everyone.
Kathy

Cin42382
09-21-2009, 07:30:41 PM
You are doing great!!! I know how hard it is. To be honest I still WANT to smoke and get the craving for one every now and then but I think about my daughter and I don't want to smoke around her, and how much money I am saving and my own health and I get over it. About 1 - 2 months ago I gave in and had a cigarette. Although I reallllly wanted to enjoy it, all it did was burn my throat!
Stick with it :)