PDA

View Full Version : "Junk" coupons defined?

Josiology
06-11-2009, 01:58:03 PM
I've tried searching to see if this has been posted somewhere already and haven't found it, so please forgive me if it has. :wavehi:

I am just wondering if there is an "official" definition of "junk" coupons. I'm now a Trader here (graduated from TNT today :giggle2:) so I've been reading through some train and secret pal threads and in many of these there is a requirement of no "junk coupons". What is junk to me might not be junk to someone else and vice versa, so I'm wondering how this is judged. I understand not sending baby/pet/meds unless it's an exact w/l item, but are there any other q's that are generally looked upon as being "junk"?

TIA for any help you can give me :smile:

BARGINSHOPS
06-11-2009, 02:03:19 PM
Could question, I'd be interested in knowing too incase I ever get to 'hop on the train' lol

Lori63
06-11-2009, 02:12:55 PM
Don't know if there is an 'official' definition, but in my offers when I say 'junk' it means things like vitamins, depends, herbal supplements, rogaine, etc. I also don't send pet or baby unless it's requested.
I'm interested in other's opinions.
Lori

smiles
06-11-2009, 03:16:27 PM
I don't think there is an exact def. since for some a coupon might be junk, but someone else might use that product.

Most consider junk coupons, coupons that people rarely use like herbal suppliments, as seen on tv products, joint juice, depends, local products or coupons with state restrictions that most can't use, ect. Although a few people might actually use these products, they would probably put it on their wishlist if they wanted it.

I don't send any pet, baby, or med coupon unless it is an exact wishlist item.

ibsds15
06-11-2009, 03:19:18 PM
I'd like to know too.. I don't want to send anyone junk!

Josiology
06-12-2009, 06:11:41 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

It's just hard for me to determine what may or may not be junk to someone else. For instance, I had 3 cranergy hangtags that were "junk" to ME because we never drink that...yet, I had someone initiate a GREAT trade offer for them, I guess because she DOES drink it.

So is it safe to say that most food coupons aren't junk as long as it's not dog, baby, or diet? What about coupons for items that are near impossible to find anywhere? For instance, I had coupons for sweet baby rays which I couldn't find anywhere, so they were "junk" to me. Yet, I saw so many people in the trade forum ISO them...I don't use plug in air fresheners so those are "junk" to me, but their highly sought after by a lot of people...The Kraft Q's were HOT as far as I could tell, yet most were 'junk' to me as I only used a few. I just wanna be sure that if I join a trade or swap that specifies "no junk"....how can I make sure that it's not? I guess you could always PM the person you're sending to and ask what they consider "junk" ?

TIA!

MrsPinecone
06-12-2009, 06:16:02 AM
Stuff like Joint Juice, Depends, feminine hygeine unless specifically requested, vitamins and supplements, baby or pet stuff unless they ask, that kind of thing.

shelleyf
06-12-2009, 06:22:30 AM
I think hair dye is also considered junk. Also coupons that state you have to buy 5 to save .30 are junk to me. :hysterical:

Shannon T
06-12-2009, 06:29:47 AM
This is why I think it is so important for people to have Wish Lists. That way people can see if your have a baby, cat , dog, or need vitamins. For instance I use Flex-a-min. That $6 Q is junk to most people. Not to me when bottles cost $20 a pop. I consider junk as Depends adult diapers or coupons you find that run every single paper. Again it varies by person.

MrsPinecone
06-12-2009, 06:33:59 AM
Oh, and Pillsbury coupons. Everyone gets gajillions of those every couple of weeks. Unless someone asks for them, don't send!

kval07
06-12-2009, 07:19:19 AM
I think hair dye is also considered junk. Also coupons that state you have to buy 5 to save .30 are junk to me. :hysterical:

I totally agree!

I consider junk coupons to be ones that are not commonly used by most people, or ones that completely saturate the coupon market (like pillsbury ones.) I hate entering Pillsbury ones in to the database. They have so many, and for the same product but different amounts, it is completely ridiculous.

gctattoo
06-12-2009, 08:53:24 AM
I agree about the Pillsbury ones. There are just so many of them and it's too time consuming to list each and every one. When I was big into trading, I would sometimes save them all up and make a giant RAOK envie. That way just the people who actually wanted them would try to win it and they'd be happy to have them. ;)

rrpate
06-13-2009, 01:01:13 PM
i am in agreeing on the term "junk" to be animal, baby, vitamin, adult diapers, Pillsbury(unless high dollar/hard to find!) the under .50/any for the most part... if its any thing unusual or hard to come by i put on wish list for sure... even though the current one expired i leave it , it still lets people see that i am interested in it.. most high dollar coupons are wanted by someone!
may not necessarily be you... so it dont hurt to put on have list...

robinbrooke
06-15-2009, 04:11:50 PM
One couponer's junk, is another couponer's treasure. Depends coupons would be beneficial to me because I have a family member who wears Depends. So it's all a matter of what someone needs. I agree that making and maintaining a wishlist would alleviate the doubt of what someone wants.:smile:

tacatcon
06-16-2009, 06:33:22 AM

You know I always chuck the hair dye ones but I did have one lady I traded with who really wanted a particular one a few months back-so you just never know.

From a "trade" perspective if you're doing a potluck or a train and it says no junk-basically what most people can't use/don't want is considered junk. I think most of us would agree we don't need a lot of vitamin q's, med q's, adult diaper q's. As far as pet and baby-I don't lump those in with junk but I do not send unless they have those particular q's on their wishlist. I never consider any food coupon junk. there is a difference between "one trader won't or can't use it" and "junk".

Hope that helps

queenofthehivemomof5
06-16-2009, 06:57:27 AM
Coupons I consider junk (Unless requested)

Adult Diapers
Hair Color
Make-Up
Vitamins, Joint Juice
As Seen On TV stuff
Store coupons unless requested and you know what stores the other person has.
Nutrition bars
Anything with state restrictions unless you know the other person lives in the approved state(s)
Restaurant coupons unless for a high dollar, b1g1 or free and again know that the other person has that restaurant where they live.
Pet coupons (unless you know the person has a pet or wants pet coupons)
Baby and/or children (unless you know the person has a baby or wants baby coupons
Low value coupons that require multiple purchases (ie: .50/5, .10/2 etc etc...)

I think what it comes down to though is that folks really should have a wish list. Even something basic that says

I shop at the following stores
I have/do not have kids
I have/do not have cat/dog/bird etc.
I can/cannot double (if you can list what you can double up to)
I can/cannot use printable coupons
Some of the items my household uses most are....
I cannot use....

that information at the bare minimum would help anyone making a trade or sending a train help not send "junk" coupons.

rrpate
06-16-2009, 11:57:39 AM
I AGREE... i dont post a wish list but have it in the data base...i cant see where you can add those to it for others to see... like a small window up top of yours so you can put what you just said at the bottom of your post

(Queenofthehivemomof5) quote:I shop at the following stores
I have/do not have kids
I cannot use.... end quote

Michar
08-24-2009, 09:18:31 PM
I think this thread is a point to the whole concept of what is junk to one person... I had the hardest time the last two weeks trying to find people to trade me for L'oreal hair dye Q's... there's a great sale at my store and I want to stock up... apparently I couldn't find hardly any because everyone thinks they are junk and tosses them!~! If hair dye is $6 on sale for $2 off and there are $3 Q's out there that is not junk for me... instead of paying $8/1 ...I could be paying $3/1 ... which is a $5 per box savings... and it's a huge savings over the $115/ salon visit that I used to pay every 7-10 weeks! :)

dianasattic
08-24-2009, 09:39:05 PM
I think this thread is a point to the whole concept of what is junk to one person... I had the hardest time the last two weeks trying to find people to trade me for L'oreal hair dye Q's... there's a great sale at my store and I want to stock up... apparently I couldn't find hardly any because everyone thinks they are junk and tosses them!~! If hair dye is $6 on sale for $2 off and there are $3 Q's out there that is not junk for me... instead of paying $8/1 ...I could be paying $3/1 ... which is a $5 per box savings... and it's a huge savings over the $115/ salon visit that I used to pay every 7-10 weeks! :)

:hysterical: I know what you mean. I think it is funny what people call junk. I like things most people don't. What I consider "JUNK" is what other people have on their wishlist...so it's just a matter of preference. I really wish they wouldn't term it so negatively.

PS .....I never throw a q away...so if you are in need of an odd ball q...let me know, I may have what you need.

PM's work best. :thanks7:

dianasattic
08-24-2009, 09:50:48 PM
I too think the Wishlist would have an 8-10 line writing thing at the top just like a previous poster said. I like knowing that a person like low coupons because they shop at a store that doubles up to 50 cents. When doing trains, that makes a difference if I send them a q that isn't a direct match on their wish list.

One persons junk is another's treasure. I know about 15 people that are very desperate for adult diaper q's. They are relatively low income, have health problems, and need a very expensive item.

Also, I shop for most thing free or next to free. They usually end up at the food pantry. The folks love me there because most of the stuff I bring is rather expensive, but on sale with a q, can be under $1 sometimes....wonderful way to make someone's day! The food pantry I donate most to is in a rural area. All of the major stores, like Walgreens, Target, CVS, etc. are over an hour away. Oh to have Kroger chain of stores within 200 miles.

Thanks for reading.

:smile:

Coupons I consider junk (Unless requested)

Adult Diapers
Hair Color
Make-Up
Vitamins, Joint Juice
As Seen On TV stuff
Store coupons unless requested and you know what stores the other person has.
Nutrition bars
Anything with state restrictions unless you know the other person lives in the approved state(s)
Restaurant coupons unless for a high dollar, b1g1 or free and again know that the other person has that restaurant where they live.
Pet coupons (unless you know the person has a pet or wants pet coupons)
Baby and/or children (unless you know the person has a baby or wants baby coupons
Low value coupons that require multiple purchases (ie: .50/5, .10/2 etc etc...)
I think what it comes down to though is that folks really should have a wish list. Even something basic that says

I shop at the following stores
I have/do not have kids
I cannot use....
that information at the bare minimum would help anyone making a trade or sending a train help not send "junk" coupons.

tacatcon
08-25-2009, 11:17:16 AM
I AGREE... i dont post a wish list but have it in the data base...i cant see where you can add those to it for others to see... like a small window up top of yours so you can put what you just said at the bottom of your post

(Queenofthehivemomof5) quote:I shop at the following stores
I have/do not have kids
I cannot use.... end quote

I too think the Wishlist would have an 8-10 line writing thing at the top just like a previous poster said. I like knowing that a person like low coupons because they shop at a store that doubles up to 50 cents. When doing trains, that makes a difference if I send them a q that isn't a direct match on their wish list.

One persons junk is another's treasure. I know about 15 people that are very desperate for adult diaper q's. They are relatively low income, have health problems, and need a very expensive item.

Also, I shop for most thing free or next to free. They usually end up at the food pantry. The folks love me there because most of the stuff I bring is rather expensive, but on sale with a q, can be under $1 sometimes....wonderful way to make someone's day! The food pantry I donate most to is in a rural area. All of the major stores, like Walgreens, Target, CVS, etc. are over an hour away. Oh to have Kroger chain of stores within 200 miles.

Thanks for reading.

:smile:

If you are entering your wishlist in the database (as you should be) you then have the option to update it to a thread in the wishlist forum. This does not erase what you have entered in the database but just puts it in another format, which others have been using since before the database existed in it's current form. When you hit update a little window pops up and you can put those kind of notes in like "I can double up to .99 and I love hair dye!" lol

I think the reason we talk about junk is unfortunately not everyone is a fair and generous trader. I think the majority are but there are the few that would ruin it for everyone. So what we generally say in potluck trades and/or trains is no junk and junk is what the majority of us would consider unwanted coupons. Doesn't mean everyone thinks they are! But what I know most conductors in trains also say is "unless exact match to wishlist". So of course if I saw you on my train and you wanted lots of $3 hair dye coupons, you know I'd be sending you some! But someone else doesn't want hair dye and unfortunately there are those that would pawn off all their "junk" coupons on you and take all your good coupons in return.

Hope that makes sense.

dianasattic
08-25-2009, 12:59:25 PM
If you are entering your wishlist in the database (as you should be) you then have the option to update it to a thread in the wishlist forum. This does not erase what you have entered in the database but just puts it in another format, which others have been using since before the database existed in it's current form. When you hit update a little window pops up and you can put those kind of notes in like "I can double up to .99 and I love hair dye!" lol

I think the reason we talk about junk is unfortunately not everyone is a fair and generous trader. I think the majority are but there are the few that would ruin it for everyone. So what we generally say in potluck trades and/or trains is no junk and junk is what the majority of us would consider unwanted coupons. Doesn't mean everyone thinks they are! But what I know most conductors in trains also say is "unless exact match to wishlist". So of course if I saw you on my train and you wanted lots of $3 hair dye coupons, you know I'd be sending you some! But someone else doesn't want hair dye and unfortunately there are those that would pawn off all their "junk" coupons on you and take all your good coupons in return.

Hope that makes sense.

:smile: :BigHand: THank you very much! It does make sense. I really appreciate the trades and Trains. It is sooooo fun :BigHand: to get the coupons you ask for. I really love the traders who see your wish list, find a coupon I've never seen or heard of that compliments my wih list and sends it....so thank you.:thanks7:

sands
08-25-2009, 02:24:35 PM
I don't think there is an exact def. since for some a coupon might be junk, but someone else might use that product.

Most consider junk coupons, coupons that people rarely use like herbal suppliments, as seen on tv products, joint juice, depends, local products or coupons with state restrictions that most can't use, ect. Although a few people might actually use these products, they would probably put it on their wishlist if they wanted it.

I don't send any pet, baby, or med coupon unless it is an exact wishlist item.
I think this person hit it right on the head... just use common sense after that... everyday useful items with a fair dollar value make good traders... and the no pet, no meds, no baby unless specified is a definite rule to follow

kval07
08-25-2009, 03:50:25 PM

Hope that makes sense.

When I was still a new-ish trader I traded pp for a potluck so I could work on my stash. I traded with a very well established trader. I was so disappointed when I got the envie. I was still fairly new, but I knew junk when I saw it, and the envie I got was mostly junk.

So I guess when you get junk in the mail, you get a pretty good idea of what not to send out, lol.

MaddieT
12-08-2010, 03:04:03 PM
Bumping an old post. I think if people DO NOT want certain types of coupons, they should list it on their Wishlist page. I love getting vitamin and herbal supplement coupons because we use a lot of them. We don't use many OTC meds, but if I can get aspirin or cold/allergy tablets for free, that's not a junk coupon! Poise, Joint Juice and Depends are junk, unless you use those products or donate to a retirement/nursing care facility. I like getting feminine hygiene products. Who wants to pay full price to deal with Aunt Flo? I consider baby/toy/DVD coupons to be junk, as well as restaurant coupons. We don't even have an Olive Garden or many chain restaurants within a 300 mile radius of our home. Junk!

One person's junk is indeed another person's treasure. However, "junk coupons" needs to be more clearly defined and easy to find. No official rules even come up with search options. In addition, the rules for TRAINS are different than the rules for TRADES. You don't get 100 coupons off your wishlist from a mixed envelope of 100 TRADE.

libertybelle
01-23-2011, 02:25:21 AM
Another one I don't like to send is dishwasher items, unless asked. I don't have one so I try to assume there are others out there that still have to do their dishes the old fashion way :bored1:

terrortoys
01-23-2011, 11:47:38 AM
I think the post above me is spam... can it be deleted???