PDA

View Full Version : Extras or no extras?

BarPar596
03-27-2009, 10:25:39 PM
I am not sure where the "extras" thing came from but I think its a great bonus.

My first trade was the only person that I did not send any extras too and this was only because I didnt know to send them. So Ive done a bunch of trades recently and sometimes I get extras, sometimes I dont get any. Sometimes I got A LOT but most times I get about 5. I usually send 10 with varying amounts that I dont count. If the person did me a SUPER huge favor, I send them more to thank them in a way.

Im curious to know if there is a proper etiquette about extras or its a personal thing. Ive noticed that on some of my trades the sender send out extras to some of the trades before mine. Why didnt they send any to me? :shrug7:

Although I was happy about the trades that I didnt get extras in, I much rather do a trade with someone who does give extras.

thecooperhouse
03-27-2009, 10:27:24 PM
Its just a personal choice. I usually will put extras in. Gotta make the postage worth it!!

shelleyf
03-27-2009, 10:36:33 PM
I always put in extras. I do wonder why some people send more to some and none to others.

gctattoo
03-28-2009, 05:53:40 AM
I send extras sometimes. As to why some get them while others don't from the same trader, I think there are two explanations:

1. The demand for trades may limit time to include extras. Sometimes there are so many trades going on (or a trader is just super busy IRL) that they simply can't find the time to include any extras. This is especially true if the trader likes to work off a wishlist-- it does take time to go through a wishlist and match it up with coupons you may have.

2. This one goes along with the wishlist idea: I think if a trader doesn't have any (or more than just a couple) coupons off a wishlist, they won't send extras. Some wishlists are very specific and rather than send extras that may not be wanted or needed, they don't send any at all. I've actually found myself in that position before. I've wanted to send some extras, but didn't know if the trader would want just random Q's since I didn't have anything off their wishlist. I think a few noninserts are good to send in that instance.

I don't think anyone should take it personally. I never expect extras and I don't mind if someone in a trade before me got them and I didn't. It's very nice of anyone to include them though.

BarPar596
03-28-2009, 11:53:00 AM
I send extras sometimes. As to why some get them while others don't from the same trader, I think there are two explanations:

1. The demand for trades may limit time to include extras. Sometimes there are so many trades going on (or a trader is just super busy IRL) that they simply can't find the time to include any extras. This is especially true if the trader likes to work off a wishlist-- it does take time to go through a wishlist and match it up with coupons you may have.

2. This one goes along with the wishlist idea: I think if a trader doesn't have any (or more than just a couple) coupons off a wishlist, they won't send extras. Some wishlists are very specific and rather than send extras that may not be wanted or needed, they don't send any at all. I've actually found myself in that position before. I've wanted to send some extras, but didn't know if the trader would want just random Q's since I didn't have anything off their wishlist. I think a few noninserts are good to send in that instance.

I don't think anyone should take it personally. I never expect extras and I don't mind if someone in a trade before me got them and I didn't. It's very nice of anyone to include them though.

Teri, I definitely agree with ya. I do personally find that getting together a group of extras is time consuming and when you are dealing with multiple trades, it is not always easy. I generally include random q's that I know I will never use, but someone else may definitely be able to. I glance at the w/l for extras selection but I dont always follow it. I will include w/l when it comes to particular categories like baby things and pet things because you either have them or you dont :biggrin:

I always include extras and it is awesome to get a batch from a trader that I can use. Sometimes I "re-gift" and send them to another if I cant use them.

I know it is never to be expected because it "is really a gift". BUT, IMHO, although I wouldnt NOT trade with someone who didnt send me any bonuses, I might choose a "sends extras" trader over a "non-extras" trader. Its just like going to a store that you get special attention or discounts at. If two stores offered the same stuff but at one store they gave you coffee and a cookie/donut or handed out coupons or even were super super nice to you, wouldnt you go to the latter store?

If the one "great" store was closed, it wouldnt stop you from going to the other store if you needed the product, but given the choice you would choose the "store with extras" LOL :wink7:

Then again, I am the type of person that gives people coupons as they walk down the aisle or leaves them on the racks for others, so it is just a personal thing.

MelanieK
03-28-2009, 12:25:41 PM

If anyone doesn't get extras from me, this is exactly the reason why. I always try to include extras, but sometimes things get a little crazy around here!:chair:

Debbieomi
03-28-2009, 04:38:35 PM
I always incude extras but do not expect them. I have a little checkbox that I keep them even. I put in a few tear pad qs, extras that I received that I can't use, qs from magazines, etc. I also sticker up my envies but don't think I've received more than a handful of envies done that way. I just like the look and all the traders from old site I used to go to did that also, so I kinda got into the habit.
Extras definitely are a personal choice and I agree with a pp, I would never not trade based on whether they included extras.

isis
03-28-2009, 04:54:33 PM
I try to include extras, but there are some WLs that want WTs and beer/wine MIRs or non-insert q's and I don't have a variety of those laying around.

I don't base my trades on those who include extras or not. If they are fast, friendly, reasonable and reliable, I don't hesitate to trade with them again.

shelleyf
03-28-2009, 07:47:02 PM
I don't base my trades on whether I get extras or not. If someone doesn't leave me feedback even after I asked them to then I won't trade with them again. I always take the time out to leave feedback and I expect the same. It shows if you are a good trader or not. :smile77:

anothershopper2
03-28-2009, 08:27:34 PM
I'd like to send extras in all my envies but there are times when I can't, for several reasons very similar to what other PPs have stated:

1) When all my q's got stolen while I was at the supermarket one night a few weeks ago, I had nothing basically so I was starting from scratch and I was trying to trade like a mad man to get all the q's I had lost back but barely had time to clip. So all I had in coupons were that weeks inserts (which I did get multiples) but it was around the same time that I was returning to work from maternity leave and just moved. It was so crazy - hence little or no extras. I tried to mention that to my traders but probably missed some people.

2) Now that I slowly rebuilt my stash a little - I have been including - I actually don't really have time to match wishlists (i'm sorry!!) I try my best, but usually I just try to include some noninserts and whatever I have lying around that's clip and I don't need. If they don't need it, they are extras and can toss them or share with someone else they trade with. But some days, I'm so sleep deprived from work & the baby that I rush to work and I need to mail and I don't have any extras on me. So due to timing, I just forgo the extras and mail it out from work. Or if I have a ton of trades to mail out - I also didn't bring enough extras with me (I carry 3+ bags on the subway so it gets heavy - one being a breast pump etc). Or if I complete a trade while at work and need to mail out that afternoon, I don't have time to go home and get my extras.

3) I live in a pad grabbing area (based on my experience - not necessarily representative of the entire area). One time a lady shoved me outta the way to grab a pad from me. So I don't get a lot of good tearpads or even bad tearpads for that matter or blinkies what have you. But once in awhile I do get lucky. So it depends on what I have available too.

4) Envie already 0.9 oz or 1 oz in weight from the trade. There are times when the envie is already at the $0.42 limit. Then I may or may not add extras. If I don't readily have access to extra postage on hand, I usually don't send extras. (sorry again!) By the time I can get to the post office, it's during peak times at the post office and the lines are long. As FT working mom, I just don't have the extra time. Once in awhile, if I do have time or need to go to the post office where I have to wait anyways, then I will add the postage.

So it really varies from trade to trade and the timing of it all. I don't expect extras but many traders here are really nice and do send some. Most of time I can use it somewhere (pass it along - esp since some of the products are not even sold in my area or cpns/rebates not valid in my state).

bumpkin6107
03-29-2009, 12:53:06 PM
Wow, this is an interesting thread. Mods, I was wondering if maybe a section on sending "extras" could be put into the TNT section (maybe it is and I just didn't see it).

Since I am a new trader, I did not realize that many people send extras in their trades. During one of my first trades, I included the requested forms and then I saw a few extra coupons on the table that I wasn't going to use and so, I threw them in to be nice. However, I didn't realize at the time that sending extras was the thing to do.

A later trader, pm'd me privately and said that she almost gave me a neutral rating b/c I didn't send her extras. Fortunately, she addressed me privately and ended up giving me a postive rating because I did send the items specified in the trade. I was shocked and upset. I didn't mean to upset anyone and I had no idea that their was an "unwritten" suggestion to give extras (as least, I didn't know about it) . I sent her an envelope of extras because I don't want to burn any bridges. I just wish I new about sending extras ahead of time, so that I could have avoided this whole situation.

gctattoo
03-29-2009, 01:15:18 PM
Bumpkin-- I am actually shocked that a trader would consider giving you a neutral feedback because of no extras. That's a bad trading practice IMO. As long as you sent the coupons specified in the trade, there's no reason to not give you a positive rating. In fact, it could almost be considered extortion since you ended up sending her an envie of extras to avoid trouble.

They are called extras for a reason-- they are coupons above and beyond the items specified in a trade. If they were required, they wouldn't be called extras. We'd all be talking about sending "requireds." Absolutely ridiculous and an abuse of the feedback system quite frankly.

BarPar596
03-29-2009, 01:42:14 PM
Wow, this is an interesting thread. Mods, I was wondering if maybe a section on sending "extras" could be put into the TNT section (maybe it is and I just didn't see it).

Since I am a new trader, I did not realize that many people send extras in their trades. During one of my first trades, I included the requested forms and then I saw a few extra coupons on the table that I wasn't going to use and so, I threw them in to be nice. However, I didn't realize at the time that sending extras was the thing to do.

A later trader, pm'd me privately and said that she almost gave me a neutral rating b/c I didn't send her extras. Fortunately, she addressed me privately and ended up giving me a postive rating because I did send the items specified in the trade. I was shocked and upset. I didn't mean to upset anyone and I had no idea that their was an "unwritten" suggestion to give extras (as least, I didn't know about it) . I sent her an envelope of extras because I don't want to burn any bridges. I just wish I new about sending extras ahead of time, so that I could have avoided this whole situation.

Wow. That is a little extreme. I cant imagine giving someone anything besides a positive rating for fulfilling the terms of the deal. Like everyone else agreed with prior, extras are a bonus reward. While its awesome to get them, its totally not required.

Most people on this site are truly fantastic and overthetop helpful and generous, but there are a random few that shock me with their high and mighty-ness. I personally vow to stay away from that type of person. There are plenty of other wonderful people I come across on this site who can offer me what I am looking for without the attitude.

I love the extras, and it makes me feel great when the person receiving mine can get good use out of them. But, I wont deny I am more inclined to trade with someone who put "a little more than required" into the trade. On the flip side, if someone has what I need and I can help them out in the meantime, I am going to do it regardless.

Ive done about 30 trades and on more than half of them I have received no extras. Dont be forced to think you need to send them, it boils down to your personal choice as you become a seasoned trader.:smile77:

anothershopper2
03-29-2009, 06:14:29 PM
Wow - I am shocked too by this experience of yours. It was nice of you to send another envie but that seems highly unnecessarily. You fulfilled your end of the trade.

I will trade with anyone regardless of what my past trading experience with extras has been with them. I guess I understand... extras are extras and for whatever reason they may have for not sending extras - I will not fault them in any way, since I've been there and still am from time to time. I traded with them for the terms of our trade (those were the q's that were important to me anyways) - anything else is just icing on the cake. I personally don't remember too much about extras specifically - I just remember if it was a good trade and it was friendly, nice and easy.

meems
03-29-2009, 06:57:30 PM
Another WOW on being threatened on your feedback!

I don't care either way on extras...

But I love adding them & will maximize the use of a stamp! I don't take the time for WL though...it's the luck of the draw on my non inserts, I have a basket under my desk w/ tear pads, etc..I just pull from those, but they're usually decent ones!

tacatcon
03-29-2009, 08:07:44 PM
Hi there
First off I am so sorry you had this experience

Let me address that extras are exactly that, EXTRAS. not required at all. If you do not include them and another trader leaves you less than positive feedback because of that, please let bugface711 or myself know.

That is not ok

I am glad that most of our generous traders do send at least some extras with their trade. After all, why not, if you're sending the envelope anyway and you can give those coupons perhaps to someone who can use them.

But no one should ever hold back or leave neg/neutral feedback for not sending them. Live and learn if you didn't think of it the first time around. But you should never feel like you did something wrong if you didn't. Honestly, there are times here and there when I don't include extras for differing reasons.

I know it's mentioned in TNT at least once but where it's not a rule that you have to we don't have a separate thread on it. But maybe it deserves its own thread.:biggrin:

rbunnymom
03-30-2009, 06:03:15 AM

I am really sorry you had this experience with a trader. Extras are not expected and should not be factored into whether you get positive feedback. The trader was wrong to pm you and tell you that.

That aside, I usually send extras unless I am rushing to get an envie out and don't have access to my extras. If I know someone is looking for something and I have it, I will include it. No one should be offended though if they hear someone got extras and they didn't. It was really nothing personal.

I feel the trade is for what we were trading for not the extras and any feedback should be based on that.

Please let a mod know if that happens again...bugface711 or tacatcon.

ETA: I hadn't read all the posts before posting. I see that tacatcon addressed this already. So, I just want to add...have fun trading!

Mothernature
03-30-2009, 06:17:24 AM
I try to send extras. My extras are tear pads. My area dried up for 3-4 months so I had no extras to send.

Threatening to leave inappropriate feedback over extras is over the top.

bugface711
03-30-2009, 01:00:25 PM
Extra's are cool to include if you are able but are in no way required. You should never feel like you have to include them, and if you are dissappointed that you didnt get them thats crazy to me.

There are times when I make a trade that I fill the envie immediately seal it, stamp it and stick it in the box cuz thats just the day, time whatever that I have at the moment.
I would hope that the member on the other end doesnt even blink when there is no extra's and is instead happy their trade arrived exactly as agreed upon.

Traders are definitely not able to leave FB due to a lack of extra's. I know is been said but heck why not say it one more time.

If I happen to notice I have more WL items I include them. If I have some short dated decent coupons I will not use, I add those in to trade envelopes just in case the other member can put any of them to good use before they expire.

It is a super nice thing to do, and if you are able, you may just make someones day, but extra's should only enhance a trade not sour it.

rebate_queen
03-30-2009, 03:06:48 PM
I always try to give extras because I have soooo many coupons they are starting to take over LOL. And I don't even get tons of inserts, but I have lots of non inserts so I like to include some in a trade especially if they are on someone's wishlist. But there are times when I don't or can't and the reasons have pretty much all been stated previously:

1. I have alot of trades going on and I just don't have time to check wishlists or even grab anything extra at all.
2. I am at work and I am getting an envie together but do not have access to my extras (which are mostly at home) but I want to go ahead and mail so the person will get their coupons.
3. I just don't have anything on someone's wishlist, which in this case I will usually still put in some non inserts unless 1 or 2 apply above:biggrin:

And it never would have even crossed my mind to give anything less than positive feedback for not including extras......

cashqueen
03-31-2009, 07:10:20 AM
[QUOTE=rbunnymom;1677105]
That aside, I usually send extras unless I am rushing to get an envie out and don't have access to my extras. If I know someone is looking for something and I have it, I will include it. No one should be offended though if they hear someone got extras and they didn't. It was really nothing personal.

I feel the trade is for what we were trading for not the extras and any feedback should be based on that. / [QUOTE]

That pretty much sums it up for me. I'm not trying to shortchange anyone if I don't include extras, it just means I didn't have time to add any or didn't have access to them at the time of mailing. Sometimes I have a bunch of trades going at once and I'm just trying to keep them straight and out on time.

Also, if someone really sends some great extras I'll note it in my feedback. Something like, 'Thanks for the easy trade and generous extras.' Just my way of acknowledging their extra effort.

I can't believe someone on here would threaten to leave neutral feedback because no extras were included :confused58: That is just mean-spirited and unfair IMHO.

hbaqueen
03-31-2009, 07:21:53 AM
PPs have already answered but ill throw my answer in too. Who gets extras generally is not a personal thing. Unless of course theyve done me a fabulous favor and then I will make some extra effort most of the time.
But like this morning I was cutting and mailing only what was asked for from yesterdays papers. I had no extras in here. My binders are in the car. So the only thing I had to work with was the inserts from yesterday. They were still whole so I wasnt going to chop them up to try to put in extras. And I gave the traders a very fair deal on some hot coupons.
One trader did get some extras but that was b/c I had pulled 20 and she only needed 10 each so she got extra of one of her coupons.

I am kinda surprised that some people would let extras dictate whether or not theyd trade with that person or not. I always felt it was a personal decision not a requirement.
I love getting extras but I dont keep trck of who does or doesnt send them. As long as they are a fair honest trader I will trade with them again.

smiles
04-01-2009, 05:17:53 PM
I'm finding now in my trading experience that some people expect extras. I've got one private remark once that I was kind of rude for not sending extras, but they didn't threaten with neutral feedback.

I try to send extras, but sometimes things get busy and I can't for whatever reason. Most ofthe time I don't have many extras to send. I work full time and don't get to the store when tearpads are prevelent most of the time. The feedback I figure is for having a sucessful trade where both ends were met.

mommasbabydaddysmaybe
04-01-2009, 06:26:20 PM
I think give extras is your personal choice. When I send off trades I try to send extras but sometime I don't have time. I'm chasing 2 little ones and the last thing on my mind is if the other trader is going to be mad cause I didn't send extras. Now I will say if I've traded with you before I'm definitely going to send extras.