PDA

View Full Version : taping your envelopes (trains/trades)

cody82414
02-07-2009, 03:07:58 PM
Is it customary to tape the closure on the envelope when sending coupons through the mail?

I have noticed that many of the envelopes I receive are actually taped closed!

Anyone?

suesaving
02-07-2009, 03:11:17 PM
I do it just as a precaution if there are more than about 20 Qs. I've had a couple of really full ones barely make it to the destination, so I started taping them to make sure... since then, not a problem.

Since the PO uses machines to sort mail, thick envies can sometimes get stuck. I think most people do it just to try to make sure everything arrives in one piece...

Lori63
02-07-2009, 03:22:38 PM
I do it just as a precaution if there are more than about 20 Qs. I've had a couple of really full ones barely make it to the destination, so I started taping them to make sure... since then, not a problem.

Since the PO uses machines to sort mail, thick envies can sometimes get stuck. I think most people do it just to try to make sure everything arrives in one piece...

That's why I do it-to prevent them from being mangled.

chitownmelli
02-07-2009, 03:33:23 PM
I do it to keep them closed, and also to discourage tampering. It is pretty obvious when a piece of tape or a sticker are peeled off of an envie, so I do hope it works :)

Mythic
02-07-2009, 03:58:47 PM
I have always taped all my envies closed, this way I know it is more likely to get there with all the valuables included whether they be bills or coupons (debating which is more valuable these days :giggle2:). I have had so many envelopes delivered to me that the glue on them didnt stick and they are wide open. Better safe then sorry in my humble opinion.

wookin
02-07-2009, 04:28:08 PM
I've received several envelopes torn lately. It would be a great idea if we all taped before mailing. Myself included.

panthermom
02-07-2009, 04:39:21 PM
My very old envelopes (from our wedding announcements 14 1/2 years ago) don't always close when I lick them. That is why I have to tape them.

purplefdu
02-07-2009, 04:51:41 PM
We have a sorting machine on the way to the general York County (southern) area that always tears the left back flap on an envelope. This is super fun when Coupons.com sends printed coupons in envelopes not even sealed....

I normally put at least a seal on the back flap, tape on heavier envelopes and a closed clear envelope for large mailings. Seems to work for me.

bugface711
02-07-2009, 04:52:46 PM
i do when the envie is thick to keep the sides from splitting

bugweena
02-07-2009, 04:59:12 PM
I try to tape mine just to add a little stability--especially if I am using a legal sized envelope. I received one envie in a bag from USPS but it didn't appear any of the coupons/contents had come out. I think it just probably got jammed in the auto-sort machine. The envelope itself was torn a little from one end up to the middle.

dcash10367
02-07-2009, 05:37:34 PM
I tape mine because I don't like licking them. :giggle2:

tmsmalley
02-07-2009, 05:58:23 PM
It doesn't take much for the lick and stick glue on envelopes to fail. If it gets too hot, too cold, too moist, bammo, it opens. If there's just a couple page letter in there, chances are it will stay in the envelope regardless, but with a bunch of little cut up slippery pieces of paper (otherwise known as coupons), a piece of tape helps if you're not confident. I just bought a new box of envelopes and the glue is fresh and very sticky so I didn't tape the last ones I mailed. Did tape the others because they'd been sitting a long time and didn't seem very sealed when I sealed them.

Tess

zydeco
02-07-2009, 06:11:16 PM
I thought it was because everyone got free tape....w/coupons.
I was sure glad to see when most traders had used up that FAR sealing tape from RA. :rolleyes24:

newatthis
02-07-2009, 08:18:44 PM
I do it to keep them closed, and also to discourage tampering. It is pretty obvious when a piece of tape or a sticker are peeled off of an envie, so I do hope it works :)

That's why I do it-to prevent them from being mangled.

same here- I have had several mangled and I think that the tape helps keep the little edges down so that it doesn't get caught in the automatic sorting machine. i also use old envies- basically any that I can get for free and sometimes the sticky stuff on them is not good anymore. just a little extra protection for such valuable pieces of paper!

gctattoo
02-07-2009, 08:38:57 PM
I've never taped my envies and never thought about doing it to prevent it being mangled. I think I may do that now. I've gotten a few trades with the envies taped, but not many.

thickbluebug
02-07-2009, 08:42:41 PM
I tape the bottom and sides of my envies. I have recd several envies that I had to wonder how they made it with coupons hanging out the sides and bottom. The machines had worn the envies out.

manders13
02-08-2009, 08:46:17 PM
i do it to make sure the cheap glue stays shut!

Im working on a box of envelopes now that have cheap glue and i can lick untill my tounge bleeds and it wont stay shut.. so... thank goodness for free scotch tape! LOL

puakinikini
02-08-2009, 09:13:13 PM
This is very smart - I am going to start doing this.

Diz
02-11-2009, 07:21:56 PM
I do it because I just hate licking that nasty glue. Well, that and the whole keeping everything intact thing....

isis
02-12-2009, 07:34:36 AM
When I went to the PO to have some envies weighed, this is probably years ago, the postal worked taped the back of the envies for me. I asked why and he said sometimes the edges get caught in the machines and rip or tear, taping it prevents it. So I've been doing that ever since.
Now, what I don't use is packing tape. I've gotten some envies that I didn't know how to open b/c the entire back or envie was covered, tighter than Ft Knox!!

kval07
02-12-2009, 07:59:30 AM
I only tape envies that have to be licked. The ones where I just peel off the strip and seal I normally don't have a problem with. If they are really thick, then I will tape them too.

mzbeers
02-12-2009, 08:23:41 AM
I always tape mine, I've gotten many envelopes with the sides ripped open, and surprised they even made it to my mailbox!

saveinapenny18
02-12-2009, 12:24:33 PM
I tape my envies because I'm not going to lick them. However, I do leave a little bit of room to get a letter opener, pen or whatever else one is using to open the envie.

W0Wme
02-12-2009, 04:09:17 PM
I tape my envies only because I use the cheap kind that you have to lick (yuck, pffff). Also, the fact it adds extra security for those machines they run them through these days.

hookedoncoupons
02-15-2009, 04:42:03 PM
I use the self stick envelopes, but I always tape the flap and both sides of the envie now. It only takes a few minutes and can save you lots of grief if the coupons/wine tags happen to burst through the sides. I had that happen once to one of my trades. You learn the hard way.