PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Smoking

iheartmykiddos
02-07-2009, 11:45:31 AM
Ok. I'm going to quit smoking. It's gross, stinky and expensive. It's my only vice. I don't do drugs, I'm not a big drinker, so this is all I have. I'm 24 and I've been smoking a pack a day (at least) for 10 years. I'm starting to get "smoker's cough" and am coughing up nastiness among other things. I'm done.

DH and I are going on vacation in June to Mexico and we DO NOT want to be smokers when we go. We want to keep all the money we spend on cigs and save it for spending money while we're there. That's $130.00 a month. Geez, that's alot LOL. Just 2 months worth is enough cash to swim with dolphins. Smoking or a once in a lifetime chance to swim with dolphins? Hmmmm that's a tough one. NOT!!!

Soooo, I'm going to finish this pack (about 15) and that's it. I know myself and if I try to wean myself, it just won't work. The patches and gum make me sick, so cold turkey is the way to go. I'm going to check in everyday and post how many - if any - I smoke. I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I won't relapse. But I'm going to try, try again and do my best. I CAN DO IT!!!

babyc11
02-07-2009, 12:40:14 PM
I'm also in the process of quitting. I started out using Chantix, but had to stop due to side effects. I was down to not smoking, then started smoking 1 ciggie a day. The past few its up to 5 a day, so I just have to cut myself from them as well. Good luck!

Stephanie

Coriander
02-08-2009, 03:48:18 AM
YOU GO GIRLS!!! You can do it. It takes a little time to get over the first few rough spots but through each success, give yourself a pat on the back. Baby steps!

I quit cold turkey 6 years ago on January 1st, 2009. I know it's not easy but your worth it.

katey66
02-08-2009, 06:07:55 AM
Thank you for posting this. I have been considering/trying to quit for a while. I'm 42, and have been smoking off/on since I was about 16. I did quit during preggies. I have the "cough" also. BF quit cold turkey about 2 years ago. I only smoke outside, in the basement bathroom or in vehicle. DD is getting married in May 2010, so I can definately use the money. I smoke about a pack a day, and at $5 each day, it's alot. I do have some patches. I can usually get through the first 3 days, then wham, I start again. Hope you don't mind if I jump on your band wagon. Not alot of support here, and I personally don't like to let people know I'm trying to quit. Kind of funny that way. If you find a trick that helps, please let me know. I will try to post daily also. Thanks for the help and support.

elizabethm
02-08-2009, 06:51:21 AM
You can do it! It's one of the best decisions you'll ever make. Here cartons are $50+ each and I think they're going to raise the cigarette tax again on a Federal level for SCHIP (something like $6 a carton).

I quit cold turkey in March 2000 and haven't had a cigarette since. I smoked over 1 pack a day for maybe 13 years. I spent about a week yelling at everything. It helped that I worked alone and DH was on a business trip that week (he was supposed to quit with me but he's out back now, smoking....)

You might find Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" helpful. It breaks through the BS we tell ourselves about smoking. I only read the book a couple years ago but highly recommend it it new quitters.

Look for a quit meter online. I used one and each day was a huge victory for me; then each week was a huge victory.

moxi
02-08-2009, 08:08:22 AM
You can do it. I did it 17 years ago. I was a 1.5- 2 pack a day smoker. I went cold turkey too. When my Mom quit, she kept a coffee can under the sink with all her old cigarette butts, put a little water on it, put the lid on it. Every time she'd have an urge to smoke, she take the lid off & get a wiff. The smell was so nasty & intense it soon made smoking very unappealing.:sick77: She quit for good 30 years ago. Good luck!

iheartmykiddos
02-09-2009, 12:24:33 AM
Thank you for posting this. I have been considering/trying to quit for a while. I'm 42, and have been smoking off/on since I was about 16. I did quit during preggies. I have the "cough" also. BF quit cold turkey about 2 years ago. I only smoke outside, in the basement bathroom or in vehicle. DD is getting married in May 2010, so I can definately use the money. I smoke about a pack a day, and at $5 each day, it's alot. I do have some patches. I can usually get through the first 3 days, then wham, I start again. Hope you don't mind if I jump on your band wagon. Not alot of support here, and I personally don't like to let people know I'm trying to quit. Kind of funny that way. If you find a trick that helps, please let me know. I will try to post daily also. Thanks for the help and support.

Good for you! Come join me!

Dh and I talked about it a bit. He wants us to quit on the same day. We'll be finishing off the carton (only 1 1/2 packs left) and then I'm DONE!!! When I get up in the am, I'm going to play the "See how long I can go without" game.

My mom gets to be the "Collection Agency" She's going to call me on payday - and everyday after that - and harrass me until I give her the $65 we would have spent on ciggs. She's putting it in the Mexico Fund. I'm not allowed to touch it unless it's a dire emergency.

I'm actually excited to quit. And a little nervous. But I sure am going to try!

iheartmykiddos
02-09-2009, 12:27:21 AM
I'm also in the process of quitting. I started out using Chantix, but had to stop due to side effects. I was down to not smoking, then started smoking 1 ciggie a day. The past few its up to 5 a day, so I just have to cut myself from them as well. Good luck!

Stephanie

You too! Sorry lol. We can do it! Wow, I feel like a motivational speaker with all the *!!!!* around here.

Amniculus
02-09-2009, 01:18:58 AM
I quit by accident. Two months ago, I had this death sickness. It wasn't the flu or strep, it was just an awful feeling. I was smoking with a sore throat and was coughing. On my way to the doctor I smoked my last cig. I stopped at CVS for my meds picked up a 7up and didn't buy smokes.

When I wanted a smoke, I would search online for info on quitting cold turkey. The mantra is, "Not one puff." I understand if I have one drag, I'll be in the same boat again.

I smoked 17 cigs a day. I wasn't into generics either.

I also have a higher level of self esteem, I feel like I can do anything.

katey66
02-09-2009, 04:05:54 AM
You can do it! It's one of the best decisions you'll ever make. Here cartons are $50+ each and I think they're going to raise the cigarette tax again on a Federal level for SCHIP (something like $6 a carton)

You might find Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" helpful. It breaks through the BS we tell ourselves about smoking. I only read the book a couple years ago but highly recommend it it new quitters.

Look for a quit meter online. I used one and each day was a huge victory for me; then each week was a huge victory.

I also heard about the tax hike. Here in PA, I believe Rendell is trying to put another state tax on them too. I know alot of people who roll their own and it only costs them like 10 bucks a carton to make them. I just don't want the hassel, smell, bad health, etc.

Thank you for the reference to the book. I may try to get to the library and get it.
I will definately be checking online for the meters. It should help to be able to track you progress.

babyc11
02-09-2009, 07:38:27 AM
Yes! We can do this!! Good luck today all!

Stephanie

allison1887
02-09-2009, 07:47:24 AM
Oh best of luck to all of you trying to quit! I quit in April last year. I did use Chantix to quit and I smoked 2 packs a day.

One thing that did help me was to use a straw instead of a cig.
The habit of always holding a cig was replaced with holding a straw. I never lit it, but I did puff on it. I never thought I could do it, but the money I am saving is amazing, I smell better, my teeth are whiter, I am more patient, and I can walk to get my mail without giving out.

MamaVader
02-09-2009, 11:26:42 AM
Congratulations to everyone who has made the decision to stop smoking. It can be done and you can do it!

I quit cold turkey a little over 21 years ago after smoking for 10 years. My mom quit cold turkey 7 years ago after smoking heavily for 25 years. Just put them down. It's not easy, but it can be done. Best of luck to all of you. :BigHand::BigHand::BigHand:

iheartmykiddos
02-10-2009, 10:54:28 AM
Smoked my last one last night. I'm stuck at home with no way to get any, so I CAN"T smoke. There are none in the house. I'm going to go around and pick up all the ashtrays and toss them. YAY!

puakinikini
02-10-2009, 11:04:58 AM
Way to go! I know you can do it - it is hard, but so is life. Very little that is worth doing is easy!

reincarnation
02-10-2009, 11:04:58 AM
Congrats on trying to QUIT!!!!

I quit Aug.8th ,2007.
I had to use Chantix as well, but only for 2 weeks because it made me sick. Locked myself in the house...and Never stepped foot inside a gas station for 6 months.
No one liked me for a long, long time.
I could have eaten my hands off..but made it through.

It sickens me to think HOW MUCH $$$$ we spent. (my hubby quit too)

And it was 'only' $21 a carton then. *sheesh*

katey66
02-10-2009, 05:29:27 PM
Sorry to say, still at it. The last pack is lasting me. I only have a few left, so tonight should be it. Stopped at the health store and picked up RESUCE REMEMDY. It is all natural and helps to calm you. It also works for car sickness. BF's DD has used it and really liked it. We took a 3 hour drive and she didn't get sick once. I did it this afternoon after being frazzled all day. I'm feeling relaxed. (but then again I am having a mixed drink. But not a strong one.) I am going to use it all day tomorrow.

Way to go guys! I'm really proud of you. I know we can do this. I'm glad and appreciative of all the support here. It means alot to me (and I know everyone else). Just don't feel so alone when you do it with others.

Have a good day tomorrow and only happy thoughts. :)
I'll put in a special prayer for you all and for your family to be able to handle the withdrawl symptoms. :smile:

babyc11
02-10-2009, 05:31:51 PM
Thanks for the tip about the straw, because this is my biggest challenge. I just don't know what to do with my hands, because I was always smoking. lol.

Stephanie

Oh best of luck to all of you trying to quit! I quit in April last year. I did use Chantix to quit and I smoked 2 packs a day.

One thing that did help me was to use a straw instead of a cig.
The habit of always holding a cig was replaced with holding a straw. I never lit it, but I did puff on it. I never thought I could do it, but the money I am saving is amazing, I smell better, my teeth are whiter, I am more patient, and I can walk to get my mail without giving out.

babyc11
02-10-2009, 05:34:59 PM
Yay! I have 2 cigs left, but I have to closet smoke because df thinks I already quit. I promised myself no more packs after I'm done this one. I'll be joining you tomorrow!

Stephanie

Smoked my last one last night. I'm stuck at home with no way to get any, so I CAN"T smoke. There are none in the house. I'm going to go around and pick up all the ashtrays and toss them. YAY!

hot lunch lady
02-10-2009, 05:41:50 PM
I'm 43 and had smoked since I was 16. I got Bronchitis in October and found breathing air hard, let alone smoking too. So I quit no problem. Have had a couple wishful days but have not given in almost 5 months. First of Jan. I found out I have cancer - first thing I wanted was to smoke. BUT I DIDN'T!!! I've gained weight but am planning to lose that as soon as snow is gone and I can walk and ride bikes. Good luck to all of you who want to quit.

reincarnation
02-10-2009, 05:57:29 PM
[quote=hot lunch lady;1558352] First of Jan. I found out I have cancer - quote]

I'm so sorry! Was it smoking related? What are they doing to treat you?:sad:

It's so sad too, because when I was smoking...worrying about what smoking does to your body was always the last thing on my mind.

iheartmykiddos
02-10-2009, 06:01:32 PM
Ooooh this is hard! Everything has gone wrong today. Normally, I would smoke and be happy. Today - not so much. It's been extremely stressful. I've been yelling at my kids, hubby, myself all day. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little better. I knew it would be hard, but sheesh! It's all I can think about. I haven't smoked though! I guess baby steps are the way to go.

reincarnation
02-10-2009, 06:08:32 PM
Iheartmy kiddos,

I may have missed it, but are you using something to help quit? They say it is harder than getting off crack...and quite frankly, I believe it.
Day 4 laying in bed at 3 am...I felt EVERY passing second.

I was told by my doctor that smoking over time Changes your brain chemistry, and the way it handles stress. Therefore you have to re-learn how to control your emotions.
I also had to take Wellbutrin after my 2 weeks on Chantix.
Just wanted to say, if you are serious....get as much help as you can.:wink7:

iheartmykiddos
02-10-2009, 06:15:37 PM
I'm not using anything but willpower LOL. I've tried the Wellbutrin, patches, gum etc. It all makes me really sick. Shaky, vomiting, etc. Worse than plain old withdrawl. Heck I can't even take Tylenol without side effects.

I totally agree about the crack. I feel like a fiend trying to find any way possible to get my "fix" and not get caught. I keep thinking "I have giftcards. I'm not REALLY spending any cash. I can hide them and only smoke in the car (my major weakness) and DH will never ever find out."

reincarnation
02-10-2009, 06:21:15 PM
yeah...I got sick also.
I couldn't Trust myself At ALL...and needed my husband to practically become the warden.
It's an Absolute Miracle I was able to quit. Thank you Jesus!!!

cpaige
02-10-2009, 06:26:19 PM
Congrats to all of you! Some things that I have learned in order to quit

1. Quitting cold turkey (for some people) is actually worse as it is much harder on your system.
Leave the pack in the car, take, say 6 out one day (you know you will want one in the am....so you wind up leaving one) and each day, until that pack is gone do that.

2. For many people it's actually not the nicotine that we are addicted to....it's the hand to mouth movement.....kind of like ' idle hands ' Most need something to do with their hands. Find something that you can use to sub that for. A dum-dum lollipop works great. Especially in the car!! You need something that is going to last a little while.

3. If you find that you are itching for a smoke when you are having a cocktail (or more)......if you are out, grab that coaster and try to peel that cute little picture off of it!! Trust me...it comes off!! LOL

4. Stress is one of the main reason many go back to smoking. Try to find another outlet for it.

I am speaking from experience.....these have always worked for me as well as others.

Good luck

iheartmykiddos
02-10-2009, 08:54:11 PM
I need someone to give me a swift kick in the arse. I smoked ONE (only one). It was icky. Now I have a headache and a nasty taste in my mouth. :sad:

MamaVader
02-11-2009, 02:10:23 PM
I need someone to give me a swift kick in the arse. I smoked ONE (only one). It was icky. Now I have a headache and a nasty taste in my mouth. :sad:

How about this instead of a kick. :hug7: It's just a little setback. Try not to let it get you down. :smile:

babyc11
02-11-2009, 08:47:49 PM
Well I'm done smoking now, whether I like it or not. I found out tonight that I'm expecting #2 after 3.5 yrs of trying!

Stephanie

Jenn8702
02-11-2009, 09:00:19 PM
I quit almost 5 years ago cold turkey. I started smoking when I was 12. I quit when I was 34. For me, it was more of a mind game, needing something in my hand and finding myself in trigger spots. Every time I would get in my vehicle, I would light up. For a long time, it would be hard not to light up when starting the car. Also was sitting at the computer, it was a trigger spot. It was a very long minute by minute then hour by hour for the first 2 weeks. It got easier but you have to do this for you, not anyone else. When the craving gets bad, tell yourself if I truly want one this bad in 15 minutes, then I'll go get them. Make yourself wait it out and I'll bet 15 minutes later it will be just a smidge easier. Quitting smoking is anything but easy, don't misunderstand please. I wish you the very best of luck and hope you will be successful.

iheartmykiddos
02-13-2009, 11:03:43 PM
I've been super busy the past few days, but I fell off the wagon. I broke down and bought a pack. (1 pack in 4 days isn't too terribly bad) Buuuut, as soon as it's gone, I'm done. For real this time. I need to put on my big girl panties, suck it up and just quit already. Whew.

katey66
02-28-2009, 06:33:25 AM
Haven't done well with quitting. I feel like I have left you all down, and I'm sorry. But on a good note, I haven't been smoking as much. Now it's about 8 a day. Just been sick and sleeping alot. When I'm on the computer, it doesn't bother me because I only smoke in the basement bathroom (it's cold down there too) or in my bedroom. So I can easily go hours without one as long as I'm busy doing something or sleeping. But I think it's doing better than the pack a day. I also find myself thinking, well, your doing well with 8, what's a couple more a day? I just keep telling myself no, you don't need it. I think mine is more out of boredom/loneliness. I work by myself all day, and 2 days a week it's a 12 hour work day, so I smoke. Going to load up on some gum and gummy bears. Last time I quit I used spree candy. If I put on a little weight, oh well. At least I won't be putting smoke in my body. As pp said, I just need to put my big girl panties on and do this!! Thank you for letting me rant a little. Also, thank you for the support. It means more to me than you all know.

iheartmykiddos
02-28-2009, 09:31:54 AM
Don't feel bad. I haven't been doing to well either. Actually I haven't been doing at all. I'm back to a pack a day. DH on the other had is doing fantastically well. He hasn't had one ciggie since we started! I wish I could have his willpower. I'm going to keep trying though. It helps that we are broke after we pay all the bills this week LOL.

You can do it Katey66! You're doing great so far! Good Luck!

PittsGirl
02-28-2009, 07:36:54 PM
Just want to say good luck to all of you who are in the process of quitting. It's not easy. I smoked for 25 years and was up to almost 2 packs a day. DH smoked just as much. We opted for hypnosis to help us quit. We had our last cigarette on Sept. 15, 2008 at 8:30 pm. I still have urges that come at me out of the blue. I just try to do some deep breathing for a few minutes and it helps.

You can do - just take one day at a time. Each day you get thru without a cigarette is a victory.

loladooder99
03-05-2009, 10:50:36 PM
good luck i hope you do it. My husband smokes about 150 dollars worth of ciggs by himself. I hate it, the smell , the money, the worry of cancer. He has tried the gum,the patch, the pill,the losenge,cold turkey. Nothing has worked for him and i beg him everyday to quit. :(