PDA

View Full Version : Aldi's ~ Question So what do you get at Aldi's???

dsilva51
01-24-2009, 04:28:59 AM
I hit Aldi's every 2 -3 weeks.

I have a 2 year old, and for me, I get the 100% juice concentrate in the frozen section. It's .97 cents, I can not buy apple juice that cheap, so to me that's a deal. So I buy 5 -10 every couple of weeks. I love it, because they take up hardly any room in the freezer.

I also stock up on their frozen veggies, those are a deal and a half!!! The long string beans are fantastic!

Also their french fries and tater tots are the best price as well.

They have a great stir fry mix in the frozen section, I chop up some chicken or shrimp and add to it and have homemade chinese night. They also sell, egg rolls that are fantastic. (the only down fall, no sauce comes with them)

Also, they have turkey mignons wrapped in bacon that are individually wrapped that are off the hook awesome! We popped them on the grill for a few minutes and they were great!

There milk is not as cheap here as I thought, I do better at Sams.

Please share what you get everytime we go! Would love to hear!

cdarrow26
01-24-2009, 05:48:03 AM
I have been shopping at Aldi's on a much more regular basis, especially since they just built a nice, new store in a nicer area. Here are some things I buy there regularly:
Baking staples-sugar, flour, choc. chips, etc.
Real butter 1.68
Place and bake choc. chip cookies 1.89
Bacon 1.99
Frozen breaded chicken breast, 5lbs. 5.99
French bread pizza 1.99
Tator tots, fries, frozen veggies, frozen "onion petals" are AWESOME
Pet stuff- scoopable kitty litter 3.29, cat food cans .27, dog food cans .47
I have an elderly diabetic cat that has a very sensitive stomach and found that the only canned food he "tolerates" well is Friskies and Aldi brand (go figure-half the price!)
Spaghetti and other dry pasta
Seasoning pouches, chili, tacos, etc
Snack bars
I could go on and on. I buy alot there! Some of the things I don't usually buy there are fresh meats, paper products (usually get name brand free or really cheap w/ coupons), health and beauty, cleaning supplies (same). I have only purchased one thing there that I didn't like at all and it was their buffalo style breaded chicken. I returned it without any problem. I'm not crazy about their yogurt or their white bread, so usually get these elsewhere. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the quality of their food. I've heard some people have problems with their produce, but I never have. Mine has always been decent and is way cheaper than the other grocery stores.

jeweltea
01-24-2009, 06:41:51 AM
Canned mushrooms are the cheapest I have found and we go through a lot of them. Scoopable cat litter is also very cheap. Sometimes I buy canned vegetables, tomatoes and potatoes depending on what we need.

bluechicken
01-25-2009, 07:36:22 AM
The regulars:
Milk, is 1.99/ga here, way better than anywhere else
Orange juice
turkey bacon
bananas
salami, hard cotto

Other items:
Pizza, I keep my eyes open for a certain kind
chocolate syrup, when I need it and it isn't on sale elsewhere
frozen vegetables, I'm trying different kinds and have perhaps found one I like
fresh vegetables - potatoes, onions
canned vegetables, if I'm looking to stock up or need something and there isn't a sale elsewhere

couponcrazy5950
01-25-2009, 07:55:57 AM
I usually get the frozen pizzas-$2.25 each (comparable to Tombstone, Jack's, etc.) and eggs-$1 something, cheapest around here. Bread & hot dogs buns, also cheapest around here. I used to get milk from there but they've been high lately, always cheaper at Jewel ($2.39-$2.69 compared to $1.99-$2.28). Wow...never thought I would say that! :)

kurautismnow
01-25-2009, 08:17:15 AM
The usuals I get there are~

Milk
Bread
Hotdog/Ham Rolls
Sugar
Flour
Eggs
Chx/Beef Broth
Rice
Sweet Frozen Italian Sausage Links. These are AWESOME and only $1.99 for 5 or 6.
Saltine Crackers
Cream Cheese if not on sale somewhere else with coupon
Fruit in general as long as not on sale elsewhere.
Boxed Pasta
Canned Salmon for the dog LOL
Oil

marrelam
01-25-2009, 08:29:19 AM
My kiddo loves the string cheese, their frozen waffles, and french toast sticks. We really like their Turkey Mignons (seasonal) and Bacon Wrapped Beef Filets!

loves2teach
01-25-2009, 03:23:51 PM
It would probably be easier to list what I don't buy lol...
I usually buy (depending if I can get it cheaper with coupons at Kroger or Walmart)
-eggs
-milk
-cheese
-LOVE their butter lettuce salad mix
-italian dressing (was voted #1 in a survey recently)
-jalapenos
-tortilla chips
-tortillas
-canned goods
-ice cream
-chicken tenders
-produce
-bread
-peaches in the cups
-onion soup mix
-stocks

and tons more :)

The only things we haven't liked are:

-most of their chips
-jello w/ fruit
-english muffins
-their bananas

dsilva51
01-27-2009, 11:11:09 AM
Canned mushrooms are the cheapest I have found and we go through a lot of them. Scoopable cat litter is also very cheap. Sometimes I buy canned vegetables, tomatoes and potatoes depending on what we need.

You were so right about the canned mushrooms!!! They are almost double at Shoprite and Shoprite is cheap!

XUfan
01-27-2009, 11:19:34 AM
Thanks for the tip on the frozen juice concentrate! That's a great price!!

My Aldi trips vary. I have 3 stores in my area that double, so I go to Aldi's to get these things, if they're not a better price at Kroger, Meijer or another small store here.

But, these are the things that I shop for most often:

Rice
Minced garlic in the jar
Produce
Bread and buns
Trash bags (the black ones are VERY sturdy)
Flour
Sugar
Cooking Oil
Canned Mushrooms
Crumbled Blue Cheese
Eggs (if none of the other stores have them on sale)
Popsicles, ice cream sandwiches, etc.
And...I browse the frozen case for deals on seafood! The 24 oz bag of Tilapia is usually a pretty good price.

backyrat
01-27-2009, 03:30:02 PM
I go in and stock up on tortilla chips and tortillas, and if I am almost completely out of a staple item that isn't on sale anywhere else or cheaper with a coupon. DH just discovered that he really likes their beef and bean burritos too. Other than that, I go there for some of the special weekly items. Loving my 2 new rectangular glass baking dishes with tight fitting lids!

niecey1996
01-28-2009, 05:08:19 PM
Hey, we are there almost every week. We buy their chips, brownie and blueberry muffin mixes, chocolate chips, Milk sometimes, bacon, lunchmate brand lunchmeat, vienna sausages, canned veggies, apples and oranges in the bags, (We don't buy the grapes too often cause they aren't usually a deal at all!),pizza rolls breaded chicken breasts, whole chicken, french fries......a lot of what we consume comes from Aldi's. But, we have a big family!! :)

CJOVANALST
01-28-2009, 05:42:32 PM
I used to only shop at ALDI, but it seems like I can get store brand or brand name products using coupons for cheaper than at ALDI. I just went two weeks ago to stock up the pantry with canned veggies and smaller things like jelly, peanut butter, rice, etc. The prices in my area have gone up quite a bit in just the past 6 months. Canned vegetables have gone from 33 cents to 49 cents (most store brands can be bought at 50 cents apiece every 2-3 months in my area). Both my husband and I were raised on ALDI brand food, so there isn't a whole lot we would not buy from there, except fresh meat. I am pretty picky about that.

Just a note for anyone who might question the quality standards of ALDI... my dad works for Red Gold and they process and package all tomato products for ALDI (not to mention almost every other brand name tomato product) and ALDI actually has the highest quality standard out of all of them. Knowing that makes me more confident in the other products sold there.

dsilva51
01-29-2009, 04:18:36 AM
No one seems to want to try their fresh meat! LOL Any guinea pigs out there? LOL

marrelam
01-29-2009, 04:43:58 AM
No one seems to want to try their fresh meat! LOL Any guinea pigs out there? LOL

I've had their fresh meat - no problems, no complaints! Love their bacon wrapped filets - which are fresh. I have their tendorloins also - very good. Bought their ribs - just fine.

XUfan
01-29-2009, 05:03:31 AM

If I found a better deal there than at Kroger or Meijer, I'd buy it! So far, I haven't.

bugweena
01-29-2009, 06:35:26 AM
I usually get these items at Aldi unless cheaper somewhere with a coupon:
flour
spices (limited selection but they have the basics)
sugar
olive oil
eggs
salad dressing/marinades
milk
canned veggies (corn, gree beans, tomatoes, mushrooms)
garlic in a jar
refried beans
corned beef hash
tortillas
rice
beef & chicken broth
produce (almost always bananas and baby spinach/romaine lettuce)
butter
string cheese
coffee creamer
cream cheese
brown gravy/chili/taco seasoning packets & onion soup packets
bread/hotdog & hamburger buns
paper plates
fresh flower bouquet (occasionally!)

dsilva51
01-29-2009, 06:42:13 AM
There fresh flowers are the cheapest I've seen anywhere!

kgpollard
02-01-2009, 07:54:33 PM
We sometimes buy their fresh meat and so far, we've not had a problem. I don't know if we just have a really good Aldi or something but the meat section is usually stocked full and it always looks very fresh and quite lovely. Sometimes I find better deals at Kroger and Meijer but we shop at Aldi frequently and buy all sorts of things. My fave meat to buy there is their ground turkey - it's a lot cheaper there than other places by like $2-$3!

summermay
02-01-2009, 08:10:07 PM
This is what I go for:

english muffins (like these better than name brand)
wheat bread
cucumbers
grape tomatoes
baby carrots
3 pack multi color peppers
broccoil
celery
strawberry jelly
oats
corn muffin mix
brown gravy envelope
corn chips
can fruit / peaches & pears

bankingonit
02-03-2009, 10:07:19 AM
I use their 90/10 ground beef all the time. Very satisfied.

dsilva51
02-04-2009, 06:12:58 AM

Thanks for letting us know!

jedda
02-04-2009, 11:41:18 AM

stew beef - was fine, but cut into pretty big chunks (nothing wrong, but I had to do a bit more work than if I had bought it at Publix)

fresh ground turkey - just like the jenny-o fresh turkey at the regular grocery store. I usually buy the Aldi frozen ground turkey for $1.19/lb but if I need it asap I'll spring the extra $1 and get it fresh.

jedda
02-04-2009, 11:51:48 AM
regularly buy:

organic blue corn chips - $1.19/big bag
frozen ground turkey - $1.19/lb
canned biscuits (small ones, 10 pack) I buy a bunch when they mark the cans to 15c each, and then freeze them
milk - usually the cheapest place, $2.49 gal
half and half - $1/pint
baby carrots $1/lb
eggs $1.20/dozen
canned veg (corn and peas) and canned beans - 49c each
non-stick cooking spray - $1.19
dried cranberries (like crasins sp?) - $1.09
butter $2/lb

other stuff too, depending on what kind of sales/coupons are going on at the regular grocery stores.

lbveggie
02-06-2009, 07:51:56 PM
2 x 1lb bags of peeled baby carrots 79 cents each
3 cans sweetened condensed milk 99 cents each
1 Sausage Pizza 1lb 6 oz size $2.49

Jenna26
02-06-2009, 08:23:34 PM
As far as fresh meat, we buy the Fit + Active ground beef or the regular beef, pork chops, ham, etc. We like all of it.

Kymberly
02-09-2009, 11:15:19 PM
I do the bulk of my grocery shopping @ Aldi. There are very few things that I've gotten there that I don't like (spaghetti sauce, canned soups & some of their chips are the main things I avoid). I prefer a majority of their products over name brand items.

-organic blue corn tortilla chips (a family favorite)
-salsa
-baking products (flour, sugars, seasonings, oil)
-cake & brownie mixes, blueberry & chocolate chip muffin mixes (these are all great & make more than most mixes!), cornbread mix
-salad dressings
-condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickle relish)
-snack foods (crackers, vanilla wafers, snack puddings, raisins, chewy granola bars, cereal bars, 100 "Oreo-like" calorie packs-we like them better)
-jelly
-dairy products (milk, creamer, yogurt (Moo Tubes - like Go-gurt...my kids love them), cream cheese, sliced cheese, hard cheeses, sour cream)
-eggs
-refridgerated breads (crescent rolls, biscuits & cinnamon rolls)
-deli pizzas (16")- better the the Wal-Mart 16" deli pizzas & over $1 less
-seasoned French breads, bagels, oat bran bread, hot dog & hamburger buns
-hot dogs
-frozen meats (chicken breasts & quarters, fried chicken, breaded chicken, fish sticks & fillets, sausage)
-other frozen products (stir fry, ice cream, tater tots, beef & bean burritos, veggies)
-mac-n-cheese -- My kids prefer this to Kraft & it runs about $.35 a box!!!
-Spanish Rice mix -- one of my favorites
-Jasmine rice
-Scalloped & Au Gratin potatoes, meal mixes (Stroganoff, Cheeseburger Mac)
-processed cheese blocks (like Velveeta, but cheaper & I prefer it over the Velveeta)
-bottled juices
-canned soft drinks (most are comparable to name brands)
-canned goods (tuna, sloppy joe sauce, diced tomatoes & green chiles (like Rotel), tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, chili beans, fruits & veggies,
-hand soap, foam & paper plates, napkins, tissues, plastic cups, sandwich bags, qt & gal size freezer bags, bleach, rawhides (for our dogs)

I also pick & choose from the fresh produce. It is usually good, but there are times you want to check carefully. You can get some really great prices ($.99 for strawberries during the summer when they're $1.99+ @ Wal-Mart, for example).

Overall the prices are a BIG improvement over Wal-Mart & other grocery stores. You do need a quarter to get a shopping cart & you get it back when you return the cart to the corral. You also would want to take your own bags & might consider purchasing a couple of their BIG reusable canvas bags ($1.99). I can fit 6 gallons of milk in one...not that I do it. You bag your own groceries. All of this helps them give you the better prices.

I know I listed a lot, & I still probably missed several things, but this is a pretty good overview. I live about an hour & a half from the Wal-Mart home office, & when Aldi opened here a couple of years ago I was thrilled to have a place to go other than Wal-Mart. I am very new to couponing, so I would imagine that some of the items I currently purchase at Aldi could change as I learn how to best use coupons, rebates, etc, but for just a straight out GOOD price, I can't beat Aldi in my area. I hope this is helpful to those of you who have an Aldi nearby & have just never shopped there.

swampmon
02-18-2009, 10:20:21 AM
Aldi has been a big help in saving money.

We love the following:

Tortilla Chips
Salsa
Peanut Butter Waffers (similar to Little Debbie) $1 a box taste awesome
Bagged Salad ($1 a bag)
Cereal
Lunch Meats
Pasta (2 lbs. for the price of 1lb.)
Cornish Hens (around $2 ea.) Taste great & a lot of meat on these birds
Ice Cream Sandwiches
Tuna (Albacore)
GT Soda
Frozen Chicken Breasts (3lb. bag) $6.99
Fresh Meat or Chicken when on Clearence and then freeze for later
Just picked up a huge package of Tyson Chicken Thighs for $3 and Ground Beef 2.5 lbs for $3 all on Clearance and all tastes great.

Bottom line, I can buy $70 worth of groceries at Aldi and would have paid $150 at Jewel.

What I don't buy from Aldi are:

Bananas (usually starting to go bad)
Regular White or Wheat (went moldy too fast)

Other than those 2 things, I have no complaints over the quality of their items. Some people just see "name brands" and have to get those. Some name brands are better but not enough for me.

XUfan
02-18-2009, 10:25:47 AM
I went yesterday and picked up a couple of things that were much cheaper than at my other stores:

Cooking oil (48 oz) $2.29
Flour (5 lb) $1.59
Baking Soda .43
Trash Bags (20 ct) $2.29

JEP
02-18-2009, 03:30:18 PM
Crackers
Flour
Sugar
Rice Cakes
Milk
Eggs
1/2x1/2
Produce
Block Cheese
Yougart

flowerkitty
02-20-2009, 05:26:32 PM
We buy a lot from Aldis.
Among our favorites:
The german beer:Wernesgruner
the premade pizza crusts...these seem to be a seasonal item not available all the time...but oh so good...
the avocados...yum
milk,sour cream,shredded cheese
lettuce & onions & tomatoes
apples,pears & oranges
bananas (ours are always so green...I have to wait awhile to eat them)
pineapples
cream of mushroom soup
canned vegetabes & fruit
frozen vegetables
frozen whipped topping
frozen texas toast
frozen fish
frozen strawberries
can tuna
sugar, flour,baking soda,choc.chips, peanut butter,syrup
tissues

the only thing I've had problems with was fresh strawberries.

DebK1013
02-21-2009, 04:31:08 AM
I have never gone to Aldi's but think I will check it out. Recently I have been going to Price Rite and I get all my produce there as it is much cheaper than Price Chopper.

tennisrn
02-22-2009, 07:34:53 PM
the dark chocolate bars with hazelnets in them for 1.89 are great. I've paid the same for a ritter bar half that size. I also get havarti cheese, sliced salami, and the avocado chips are great - taste like doritos. Their tomatos on the vine are much cheaper than any other stores in my area

overout00
02-23-2009, 06:16:47 PM
We have a new Aldi's nearby and I make a bi-weekly trip to stock up on
eggs
milk
snacks for school- applesauce, diced peaches
organic blue chips
pretzels
oatmeal
diced tomatoes (.45 a can)
have not had good luck w/ fresh meat or produce (just the sweet potatoes)
My sister just started working at the new HUGE distribution center and actually taste tests some produce every day. She swears it is fresh when it leaves her, but...

Donnaquilt
02-25-2009, 11:39:38 AM
I hit Aldi's every couple of weeks, and then stock up on things we like.

I buy a lot of the stuff already listed. We really like their scoopable cat litter (price is great!) and also their Reeve dishwasher soap.

Fresh fruits and veggies can be hit or miss. When they are good I grab them.

The only meat that I've tried and didn't really care for was their hamburger. I don't care for the long strands of ground meat. It tastes fine though, so if I'm not hitting another grocery store, I will buy it.

They used to sell Tyson whole cooked chickens but I don't know if I've seen them lately. Those could be nuked for a quick meal.

empress151
02-28-2009, 08:33:09 PM
we went to aldi tonight and bought three bacon wrapped small steaks in individually wrapped packages, 1.99 each... i don't remember the actual name of the brand but they were with the pork chops and ground meat. oh my GOD are these things awesome! they taste like omaha steaks to me and for a fraction of the price. i imagine the turkey steaks wrapped with bacon that come in a 4 pk for 6.29 are comparable. i would so get these again.

skw6559
06-30-2009, 04:46:01 PM
Bumping up for more ideas on what to buy here. I just found out that we have one nearby and I am going to try it out on Saturday.

Tighta$$InOhio
07-02-2009, 11:48:47 AM
Their ground beef is cheap, and very tasty. Their HOT Italian sausages are about $2.80 for 5 (which I think is cheap), and are very hot and good.
Their lunchmeats are also good.

We buy a lot of stuff:
Yoghurt (the "healthy" one)
Cheese
Milk
Bread
Juice
Ceasar salad mix
Sour cream
Potato chips
Ground beef, and sausages
Yoghurt covered raisins (MMMMM) for $1.50. So good.
Sugar, flour, oil
Fresh garlic
Some fruits and vegies
Sponges.
The occasional icecream bars
Occasionally salad stuff like lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers
Jam/Preserves
Pasta, sauces, and parmesan cheese.

We shop there weekly and never spend more than $40
We buy the household/personal stuff elsewhere and with coupons, but we don't need to buy those every week, and they end up costing another $20, more or less, when we do get them. We get meat only when we need it, cause our freezer is pretty much stocked up, and we get that from Save-A-Lot which has good, cheap meat, and that's usually $15.

cdarrow26
07-02-2009, 02:27:35 PM
I just went to Aldi's today for fruits. None of the grocery stores had very good sales this week on fruits. I spent less than $20 and got strawberries, blueberries, a cantaloupe, and bananas, as well as a bag salad mix, a couple cans of soup, kitty litter, a tub of cole slaw, a box of low fat fudge ice cream bars and a bag of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts. Not bad for less than $20!

skw6559
07-03-2009, 07:08:47 PM
I went on my first trip to Aldi's today. Milk was$ 1.49 a gallon and eggs .79 a dozen. I picked up a few things to try. I wasn't happy with their produce section-maybe it was just the day.

zoesmom37214
07-04-2009, 06:19:45 AM
I, too, used to buy the Tyson Chicken there in the refrigerated section for $3.99. I miss them! I called Tyson and was told that the plants that made these products were shut down so they discontinued this product.

jeweltea
07-04-2009, 06:39:41 AM
I got a terrible watermelon there the other day. First I was overcharged $1.00 (the smaller ones were supposed to be $3.49 which is what I bought but I was charged for the larger one - unfortunately, I did not catch it until I got home). Then it wasn't even very red inside - I did manage to get some out of it but threw most of it away. :sad:

becalive
07-10-2009, 09:16:25 AM
Main reason to go:

Grape tomatoes - when we can't grow our own
Potatoes - 99% cheaper than everywhere else

Hit and miss (depending on other store sales):
Yukon potatoes
red onions
yellow onions
Mushrooms
Cucumbers
celery

Any other veg/fruit that is on sale.
They usually have the cheapest:

pumpkins
watermelons
strawberries
blueberries

I used to buy bell peppers, but they have recently changed the packaging and its just as cheap to get them elsewhere now

I also buy the foreign dark chocolate in the candy section. Melt it down and add some coconut oil to it and dip strawberries in it. It is way better than any other chocolate out there and very smooth.

albgardis
08-06-2009, 01:37:10 PM
I am a german immigrant, so of course my main interest is in anything from my country. Luckily, they often have items imported from germany, Belgium, Austria etc.

Chocolate: Choceur is pretty good, and Moser Roth is very VERY good! Cheaper than Lindt, but absolutely comparable to the swiss!!

The frozen Strudel: we tried them all, and yes, the Apple Strudel and Cheese Cake are just original and the way they are supposed to be. I am German, I know that. The other varieties were not bad either, they were just not derived from traditional recipes, but instead newly invented to please an american audience. Which makes sense in America.

Sugar: brown sugar for 99 cents (previously) or 1.19 (lately) arethe best price I could find. We use only brown sugar and never white, so I don't know how that would compare.

New Orleans Rice Dish: 3 varieties, 99 cents each, compares to Zatarains

Cereals: used to be 1.39, 1,49, 1,69 - now all raised by 20 or 30 cents each. But still, compare that to the name brands, they ask 3,79 $ for the same amount of cereal, and theirs is not better at all!!

Oatmeal: I would not eat that,but I am married to an American, and he is used to that. So we buy a can (cardboard) every 2-3 weeks for 1,79 $. I guess Quaker's would be twice that much?

We used to get their cream cheese for 79 cents each week, but now they raised it to 99 cents, and I can get that elsewhere also.

They used to have frozen vegetables for 79 ents the pound, then 89 cents, now 99 cents or even 1.19 $. I can get that now cheaper from Wegman's, and that is absolutely not a cheap store!

In the winter they have Stollen and Spekulatius (first is a cake from Dresden, second is a spiced dutch cookie), these are specific west european (dutch/german/austrian) specialties for the winter holidays, and I am glad I can get that here. I still have to import Lebkuchen from Nuernberg (because no store will have that here in the same quality), but the Stollen and Spekulatius were pretty good from Aldi. Recommended!!

Lately they had good (small!!) zucchini, like 1.5 pounds for 1,79$. While other stores have slightly cheaper offers, these were really fresh and not damaged, so the price is worth it.

Their onions are great! I used to get 10 pounds from Wegmans for a seemingly better price, but ended up throwing away the last 10 ones. They had gone bad and soft during the time. Now I tried buying a bag with only 5-8 onions in it (from Aldi), and they are great. Crisp, firm, juicy! No loss! I will buy them again!

Paprika in a tray: at the moment it is in season, so I splurge myself with it. (For religious and health reasons I would not buy anything out of season!) 2 peppers together on a tray in cellophan cost 1.99 $. They had red+yellow and last week even red+orange. Orange ones are a special breeding and cost usually more. And they are SOOOOO FRESH!!

nosoy
08-08-2009, 05:58:56 AM
Thanks for the great advice about the German pastries, etc.
What do you mean about paprika in a tray? or do you mean peppers?

cdarrow26
08-08-2009, 11:56:12 AM
I just went to Aldi's today. I spent under $20 and got cat litter, canola oil, sliced swiss cheese, sharp chese brick, a whole pineapple, strawberries, english muffins, a head of lettuce, a bagged salad and frozen tilapia.

to1drland
09-25-2009, 10:05:30 PM
they now have "take and bake" bread, the partially cooked stuff you finish baking at home- 1.69 a pk. it was pretty tasty! will def buy again. they had twinloaf french or four pc. ciabatta

nmeadows0101
09-26-2009, 05:16:00 AM
I spent $45 Friday at Aldi's on milk, bread, hot dog buns, burger buns, brownies and salt, etc.

I noticed that their sugar is $1.65 for a 5 LB bag ( pretty good) I bought a bag, then across the street at Sams club a 25 LB of sugar is $12.63( roughlty).
If I bought 5 bags at aldi's for 1.65 each for a little over $8.00 is better than the 25 LB bag at sams.

even with the price difference I can't get it until I find a way to store it. what is the best way to store sugar and keep out any bugs and keep it from getting wet?

snafu4me
09-26-2009, 10:51:29 AM
i put mine in large ziploc bags ~ others may have better ideas

what is the best way to store sugar and keep out any bugs and keep it from getting wet?

chumuklasmom
09-26-2009, 08:52:38 PM
I keep sugar I get deals on in the freezer. I know that might sound weird, but I haven't had any problems. It doesn't really "freeze" because there's no water content, but the freezer is the best "bug-proof" long-term storage I have! We just don't use that much sugar, so I tried this out when I had SEVERAL bags and it worked fine.

bunnynugget305
09-26-2009, 08:56:41 PM
I always get their frozen meatballs.
they are so nice to have on hand cuz they take <1 min. to cook.
Also they are healthy for you because they are turkey meatballs.
and they are pretty cheap.

cjnelson
09-28-2009, 08:47:30 PM
In winter the bell peppers packs. They are always cheaper than any other store.
Sliced cheeses If not on sale elsewhere
Uno's frozen pizza (when they have it)
Frozen juice bars
100% juice
Macaroni & Cheese (Velveeta style)
Half & Half
Milk
Butter (if I can't find it cheaper)

cag
09-29-2009, 07:56:53 PM
i also store in freezer...does just fine!!!!

mommytaylor
10-25-2009, 06:42:48 PM
I live an hour and a half from Aldis, we take the cooler every two weeks to do our main shopping there.

French Fried Onions
Fit & Active Brand:
* Soymilk - chocolate and vanilla! YUM!
* Cream of Mushroom
* Cream of Chicken
* Turkey Meatballs
* Light Mayonnaise
* wheat crackers
* pizza pockets
* Egg Substitute
* frozen grilled chicken breasts (in the bag)
* Stuffed Sandwiches
* French vanilla coffee creamer
* Chedder Cheese Rice Snacks
* Rotisserie flavor turkey breast tenderloins
* Neufchatel cheese

28oz+ cans of diced tomatoes (for making/canning pizza sauce and ketchup)
canned kidney, butter or black beans
English Muffins occasionally
....and today I bought a handful of silicone bakeware. I enjoy some of their non-food item sales :biggrin:

Basically, we do 90% of our grocery shopping there as we enjoy the healthier brands but even with coupons, they don't compare in terms of price (LOND here). Not to mention there is less MSG in F&A vs. name brands overall.

We are trying a new Aldis this weekend or next - we'll see how the fresh fruit/veggies are!

zansammommy
10-25-2009, 07:12:37 PM
EGGS they are .49 large sizes:BigHand::BigHand::BigHand::BigHand::BigHand: :BigHand::BigHand::BigHand::BigHand::BigHand::BigH and::BigHand::BigHand::BigHand::BigHand::BigHand:
everywhere else around my area is anywhere from 1.99-2.50
Plus milk is about .50/.75 cents cheaper.
I like the cumcumbers as well normally .50 most places they are close to .60 or .70

I like the trail mix as well, but can not remember the price.

angeleyeza
10-25-2009, 07:24:02 PM
i rarely shop at aldi's but it looks like I may have to start back at it again. is there usually anything really cheap free?

momabrown3
10-25-2009, 07:32:25 PM
I get my vegtables & fruits there.They have the cheapest vegt. & fruits.My mom likes there .79 bread.I prefer Sara Lee bread.

aCRaZyCoUpoNgiRl
10-25-2009, 08:07:11 PM
I do the bulk of my grocery shopping @ Aldi. There are very few things that I've gotten there that I don't like (spaghetti sauce, canned soups & some of their chips are the main things I avoid). I prefer a majority of their products over name brand items.

-organic blue corn tortilla chips (a family favorite)
-salsa
-baking products (flour, sugars, seasonings, oil)
-cake & brownie mixes, blueberry & chocolate chip muffin mixes (these are all great & make more than most mixes!), cornbread mix
-salad dressings
-condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickle relish)
-snack foods (crackers, vanilla wafers, snack puddings, raisins, chewy granola bars, cereal bars, 100 "Oreo-like" calorie packs-we like them better)
-jelly
-dairy products (milk, creamer, yogurt (Moo Tubes - like Go-gurt...my kids love them), cream cheese, sliced cheese, hard cheeses, sour cream)
-eggs
-refridgerated breads (crescent rolls, biscuits & cinnamon rolls)
-deli pizzas (16")- better the the Wal-Mart 16" deli pizzas & over $1 less
-seasoned French breads, bagels, oat bran bread, hot dog & hamburger buns
-hot dogs
-frozen meats (chicken breasts & quarters, fried chicken, breaded chicken, fish sticks & fillets, sausage)
-other frozen products (stir fry, ice cream, tater tots, beef & bean burritos, veggies)
-mac-n-cheese -- My kids prefer this to Kraft & it runs about $.35 a box!!!
-Spanish Rice mix -- one of my favorites
-Jasmine rice
-Scalloped & Au Gratin potatoes, meal mixes (Stroganoff, Cheeseburger Mac)
-processed cheese blocks (like Velveeta, but cheaper & I prefer it over the Velveeta)
-bottled juices
-canned soft drinks (most are comparable to name brands)
-canned goods (tuna, sloppy joe sauce, diced tomatoes & green chiles (like Rotel), tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, chili beans, fruits & veggies,
-hand soap, foam & paper plates, napkins, tissues, plastic cups, sandwich bags, qt & gal size freezer bags, bleach, rawhides (for our dogs)

I also pick & choose from the fresh produce. It is usually good, but there are times you want to check carefully. You can get some really great prices ($.99 for strawberries during the summer when they're $1.99+ @ Wal-Mart, for example).

Overall the prices are a BIG improvement over Wal-Mart & other grocery stores. You do need a quarter to get a shopping cart & you get it back when you return the cart to the corral. You also would want to take your own bags & might consider purchasing a couple of their BIG reusable canvas bags ($1.99). I can fit 6 gallons of milk in one...not that I do it. You bag your own groceries. All of this helps them give you the better prices.

I know I listed a lot, & I still probably missed several things, but this is a pretty good overview. I live about an hour & a half from the Wal-Mart home office, & when Aldi opened here a couple of years ago I was thrilled to have a place to go other than Wal-Mart. I am very new to couponing, so I would imagine that some of the items I currently purchase at Aldi could change as I learn how to best use coupons, rebates, etc, but for just a straight out GOOD price, I can't beat Aldi in my area. I hope this is helpful to those of you who have an Aldi nearby & have just never shopped there.

:thanks7: for your input...very helpful!

shabba0819
10-26-2009, 06:05:41 AM
I get most of my fruits and vegetables there. I've seen some people say their Aldi has produce that's about to go bad, but mine always has great, fresh produce and is usually still cheaper than the other stores' sale prices. Red seedless grapes, for example, this week are on sale for $1.79lb at one store and $1.59lb at another store, but are $.79lb at Aldi. :biggrin: Most other things I'm still able to get cheaper with sales and coupons at other stores, so for now I've just been buying produce at Aldi since they almost always have the best prices on it. I would buy milk there since they have the best price, but every time I look at the milk in my store it's only a couple days away from expiring. And with just two adults living in my house, we don't use up milk that fast.

mommytaylor
10-26-2009, 06:22:17 AM
Nothing. Nothing at all. lol. I don't understand why people shop there. I mean, if we as couponers, can get name brand items SO stinkin' cheap, why shop somewhere that sells tons of generic items that are not of very good quality? Enlighten me please! :)

I completely disagree on the quality comment; Aldi's has many many quality products and has a double guarantee (which they have always given me when I brought something back).

We couponers will always have 1 thing or 5 things we can't get so stinkin' cheap. Our family enjoys cream of soups, canned beans, and I LOVE green bean casserole. Sadly even with the best coupons I've ever had on them, French Fried Onions are always more than $2.00 - and Aldis has large bags for $1.99 of them.

Some people enjoy the produce/dairy costs as you can see from the recent posts.

As a MAJOR stockpiler, very rarely does a part of my stockpile empty, but when it does and there aren't in sales in sight...and no coupons for what I need...Aldi's is often the best choice.

i rarely shop at aldi's but it looks like I may have to start back at it again. is there usually anything really cheap free?

:wavehi: I see multiple posts regarding dairy/produce prices. Canned goods range from $.49-$.89 on average, which is great if you don't see a a sale in sight at the other grocerers for name brand.

alorasmom
01-23-2010, 05:33:16 PM
I just found this-very cool! I am a huge Aldis shopper: we are a family of 5 on a $50 a week grocery budget (also includes household items and hubby's packed lunches) so I have to make every penny count. I get 90% of my groceries at Aldis and then a couple things each week at Meijer-but Meijers sales have been so crappy as of late I haven't even bothered going there in a while so Aldis is it :biggrin:

I got a terrible watermelon there the other day. First I was overcharged $1.00 (the smaller ones were supposed to be $3.49 which is what I bought but I was charged for the larger one - unfortunately, I did not catch it until I got home). Then it wasn't even very red inside - I did manage to get some out of it but threw most of it away. :sad:
They have a double guarantee-if you buy something you don't like, simply bring it back and get double your money back! I've never had a problem but I've seen others return things and they got the money without any hassle!

Nothing. Nothing at all. lol. I don't understand why people shop there. I mean, if we as couponers, can get name brand items SO stinkin' cheap, why shop somewhere that sells tons of generic items that are not of very good quality? Enlighten me please! :)
Um, Aldis quality is just as good as name brands-and since my only other option is Meijer which has totally sucky sales lately, I can get stuff much cheaper at Aldis. And their baking supplies are so low priced-there's no way I can get that stuff cheaper else where-when's the last time you've seen coupons for brown sugar, salt, or flour? Very rarely! I do a LOT of baking so I go through this stuff like crazy.
I LOVE Aldis :shopping8:

cueqween
01-23-2010, 11:36:38 PM
I made my first ever trip to Aldi's last week. After surveilling the store, LOL, I purchased mostly produce. The fruit and vegetable prices just can't be beat by any other store in my area. I bought the pineapple, apples, grapes, spinach, green peppers, broccoli, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, and baby carrots. I also bought some sliced cheese. I could have gotten the sliced cheese a little cheaper at another store, but with a newborn, I didn't feel like making the extra stop, so I sucked it up and bought it at Aldi's. We've eaten most of the fresh fruits and veggies, and I thought the quality was very good. All of it was fresh and tasty! I would definitely go there again for the fruits and veggies. I didn't find the prices for all the processed/packaged foods to be any better than what I could do at a regular grocery store with coupons, so I skipped buying any of that at Aldi's. Bottom line, I will stop there in the future for the fruits and veggies, and maybe some eggs, but probably won't be buying anything else there.:wavehi:

renreen
09-18-2010, 07:57:10 PM
Milk, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, pork chops, seasonal produce, hot dogs, cream puffs, German black bread, baking soda, steel cut oats. Lots of other things also.

lookalikeadog
09-19-2010, 05:44:02 PM

EXTRA FINE FROZEN GREEN BEANS

I know it sounds strange but they have the best! I don't shop at Aldi's often but when I'm in the area I stop and buy these. I have found no others that compare.

qponmomma
09-19-2010, 05:49:18 PM
Milk
Chocolate fudge ice cream bars (I absolutely love these way better than name brand I think)
Box of cream cheese danish's (also love!)
Bread
Chicken nuggets with cheese
Granola Bars
Chips
Cinnamon Rolls
Juice

All I can think of now but I think some of the stuff we get there is way better than name brands!

cbms
09-19-2010, 08:43:01 PM
There are things that I never get coupons for too... like beans. I use a lot of chili beans because I make like 15 different variations of chili. I can get them for .39 at Aldi. They are NEVER that cheap at any other store. Ever. Not even Save a Lot can touch that price.

I also never get good produce coupons, and Aldi is consistently lower-priced-even lower than Save a Lot in many (most) instances.

I personally don't buy their milk because I get WIC, but if I didn't that's where I'd get it because it's cheaper than anywhere else, and there are rarely coupons for just plain old milk.

They also have the lowest everyday price on their meats. We sometimes get sales for better prices, but I personally don't stock up on meats a lot anymore. I buy for a week or two at a time and then if I run out I either wait for a sale or grab something quick from SAL or Aldi.

I also love their jarred gravy and their gravy mixes-something else that there are rarely coupons for.

magowank
09-21-2010, 09:35:59 AM
EXTRA FINE FROZEN GREEN BEANS

I know it sounds strange but they have the best! I don't shop at Aldi's often but when I'm in the area I stop and buy these. I have found no others that compare.

We love these, too!!! :BigHand:I feel like a crazy person because I love them so much!

magowank
09-21-2010, 09:37:45 AM
There are certain things at Aldi's that are just SO MUCH cheaper than anywhere else, even with coupons. Their boxed chicken stock, butter, canned beans and veggies...and all are of great quality. I've rarely ever been disappointed with them!

lookalikeadog
09-21-2010, 05:34:51 PM
We love these, too!!! :BigHand:I feel like a crazy person because I love them so much!

RE: Frozen extra fine green beans............

I'm the crazy one:) I love them so much I've had them for breakfast twice in the last 2 weeks. A little EVOO, Coarse salt, cook till tender and I can eat the whole bag! :biggrin:

meadowsky
09-29-2010, 01:35:44 PM

Same here! It is always fresh and a good deal if it isnt on sale elsewhere.

My hubby and I love the Fit and Active meal bars but they seem to not have them this week :(
Other things I buy
Taco seasoning .35
produce
milk (depending on price)
chicken breasts- frozen
frozen strawberries
eggs
diet cola - isnt terrible
pork chops - always great!

Things I hate
Their bread. its horrible usually.
pizza its meh.

They had 1 frozen smoothie pack left for 1.25 today and I snatched that up to try. Im drinking it now and am tempted to not save the other half of it for my kiddo lol very yummy!

dsilva51
10-02-2010, 04:34:17 PM
It's the first of the month and food stamp money is reloaded. I never go there the first week of the month. They are always wiped out.