PDA

View Full Version : *** Database Trading Tips *** do not delete items mid trade, how to add items, YES you can include what stores you shop and other important notes. Do not forget to click "update post"

bugface711
01-13-2009, 03:20:43 PM
First, how do you do make a database wishlist or havelist?

You click the resources tab on any HCW page. Next click DATABASE (http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/So%20thats%20your%20next%20mission.%20Lets%20start %20with%20a%20wishlist.). You will use the many different search features to find coupons, rebates etc that you can use to add them to your list.

To add a coupon to your wish list select wishlist from the dropdown boxes to the left of the search field. It says "pick one". Next it will ask you low medium or high need. Choose one. Thats it. You just added an item to your wish list. Once you are done adding for the day, click wishlist. Then click update and it will post your new wishlist in the wishlist forum for you.

Here are some tips on how to find new things to add to your own list!

1. When you open up the coupon database (http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/coupon.php)before you even search for anything, there are coupons listed. These are the 200 most recently added coupons! If you have broadband, load time is quick, I suggest changing the # of coupons per page to 100 so you can look at a lot of q's quickly.
I check this recenly added list once a week, usually at the end of the week before Sundays inserts are added.

2. Check the database by an insert date like 02-22-09 and it pulls up all the inserts from that insert date. I do this every Monday. If I am only looking for say Proctor & Gamble info I type 02-08-09 P&G. Smart source is SS and Red Plum is RP. If you are just starting out, check out the last few Sundays of inserts to see what came out.

I also regularly serch by source to see whats new. Every few days I go into the database and from the source dropdown I select for example Mail In Rebates. No need to type anything into the search box. This brings up the most recently added 200 MIR's. You can do this with each source box if you wish.

As you find things you can use, add them to your WL. Do not forget to rank them by low medium or high need.

Make sure when you are done adding to your list, click the wishlist tab, then click update post. This will put your list "live" in the wishlist forum. If you forget this step, your post will not go into the forum where members can view it.

Deleting items on your list:

Trade conversations are attached to items on your lists. If you delete the item off your list, the conversation is removed with the item.

Do not delete the item until the trade is completed and feedback has been left. While you are mid trade you can add a note that the coupons are pending.

Instead, update your post using the edit feature. You can note "pending trade" in your notes.

adding your wishlist/havelist to your signature:
This is easier to do when you open more than one window.
In window #1 click user cp and click edit signature from your options.
Now, give a name like "wishlist" to the word you want to make into a link.

In window #2 either go into the database area, click the wishlist tab and then click update post, your new WL will pop up so you can grab the URL.
If your wishlist is already in the WL forum, go into the WL forum and open it up.
Whichever way you opened your list, copy the URL from the address bar.

Now, go back to window #1, highlight the word you just typed with your mouse. Next click the globe with 2 links icon (its under the smiley). A box will pop up. delete the http: and paste your copied URL into the box. Save that, and save your signature.

Thats it!

What other database tips do our traders have?

tacatcon
01-29-2009, 08:48:10 AM
Hi guys
If you have suggestions for features you'd like added there is a thread for that here (http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/coupon-resources/172560-feature-requests.html)

this is more for tips so people know how to effectively use the database for trading. :smile: If you have a good idea for a new feature, I'd hate for it not to be seen.

chrisandjaymommy
01-29-2009, 02:23:34 PM
how can you view all coupons that have recently been listed? as far as I can see you can only view the ones listed in the last 24hrs.

is there a way to compare you haves with another traders wishlist where it will just list all in one spot instead of just an individual cpn?...hope that makes sense!

2mnyteens
01-29-2009, 05:30:50 PM
Is there a way to type in someone's screen name in the database so we can see their 'haves' list and then let them know we are interested in a trade?

Julie

marrelam
01-29-2009, 07:07:45 PM
Keep your Have List updated, please! So many times I have been told "oh, I already traded those a couple of weeks ago..". Well, then please delete it from your HL.

Also, if you are going to have a WL & HL, then please sign on and check you notifications each time. I have trade requests that I've sent out and have waited days if not weeks for a response - and this is sometimes even after I've sent a PM...

marrelam
01-31-2009, 10:15:33 AM
I would add a reminder to click the "complete" button when you mail your end.

I agree and click on "Accept" also!

tori729
02-01-2009, 07:07:21 PM
Ok I just realized that you could initiate trades through the db so there are several on there that I didn't know were there because I didn't realize that was a feature. Is there any way you can receive alerts when someone initiates a trade through there?

shelleyf
02-01-2009, 07:37:58 PM
In your notifications it shows you that you have a trade alert. :smile:

bugface711
02-26-2009, 07:27:41 AM
bump

lbrown1618
02-26-2009, 07:32:38 AM
I also with there was an "alert" feature for when you have pending trade requests. I don't always notice that drop-down menu. I usually only catch it when I use it to go into my PM's.

Anyway, I did discover a tip. IF you do accidentally delete an item from your list while working on a trade....the conversation WILL reappear if you add the item back into your list. HTH!

tori729
03-18-2009, 11:41:14 AM
Anything I can do to help it not be so darn slow? I have a broadband connection but loading lists that have a lot of data on them really slows down my browser. This also affects trades done w/in the database b/c sometimes it's just to slow for me to carry on a conversation there. I don't do trades that way b/c it's just too slow for me. Anything I can do to speed it up a little (settings, etc.)?

dalkambo
05-21-2009, 02:42:39 PM
This may be the wrong place to ask this - but as far as making your wl in the database - how can someone let others know which stores they shop at (for trains), and also broad/general coupon categories (ie. I LOVE candy, so I usually want lots of candy & gum q's, but I'm not gonna list every single one. If there are obscure ones out there, how will people on trains know to send them to me??)

cookin4less
05-21-2009, 04:07:29 PM
There's not really a way to do that in the db. That's why alot of the trains ask that you have a forum wishlist. The purpose of the db is to match you up with others that have the exact q you are looking for, if you don't list every q you want individually then you won't know who has it. The db doesn't match q's close to what you choose only an exact match. So, you will find that quite a few people use both lists...db and forum for that very reason. They get to show their lists both ways and it gives exposure to all traders no matter which way they prefer to trade. HTH

dalkambo
05-21-2009, 05:00:53 PM
Thanks, that does help. However, I pushed that stinking button and now my forum wl is gone. I thought I read somewhere that they are trying to do away completely with the forum ones. I hope not!

tori729
05-21-2009, 06:47:21 PM
Another thing you can do if you're in search of a few specific things is to put them in your signature.

bugface711
05-22-2009, 05:18:17 AM
This may be the wrong place to ask this - but as far as making your wl in the database - how can someone let others know which stores they shop at (for trains), and also broad/general coupon categories (ie. I LOVE candy, so I usually want lots of candy & gum q's, but I'm not gonna list every single one. If there are obscure ones out there, how will people on trains know to send them to me??)

There's not really a way to do that in the db. That's why alot of the trains ask that you have a forum wishlist. The purpose of the db is to match you up with others that have the exact q you are looking for, if you don't list every q you want individually then you won't know who has it. The db doesn't match q's close to what you choose only an exact match. So, you will find that quite a few people use both lists...db and forum for that very reason. They get to show their lists both ways and it gives exposure to all traders no matter which way they prefer to trade. HTH

Thanks, that does help. However, I pushed that stinking button and now my forum wl is gone. I thought I read somewhere that they are trying to do away completely with the forum ones. I hope not!

Guys, let me clarify a bit. I hope :giggle2:

There is absolutely a way to list any and all info like where you shop when using the database to create your list.

Also, pretty much everything I am about to type here is in the Trading FAQ right in this forum and much of it is in the "how to use the database" link listed right under the database in the resources tab. Check out both places for more info and tips.

All wishlists should be hosted in the wishlist forum regardless of if it is an old style list where a member clicked new post OR if its the list was created using the datbase.
If its not in the WL forum and the member has made a list in the database, that means a crucial step was missed, clicking update post to make it "live on the board".

Once a member creates their list in the database, the next step is to click the wishlist (or havelist) tab and then click update post.

Once you click "update post" an empty text box pops up where members can list all of their specific shopping info like here is where I shop, I can use printables, i can or cannot double, use expired coupons, here are some coupons not in the DB that I always need etc.

So many members miss that last step when creating their database list. That means missing out on potential trades as many members search the WL and HL forums for coupons.
I am seeing that some members have both, that shouldnt be the case. :biggrin:

check out my WL, link below in siggy.
this was created in the DB, but all my notes are there for me in the forum. each time I update my WL I update my siggy link so I can link to the version of my WL with my notes. If you do not have any specific notes that you want traders to see, you can just link to your list in the database, but if your notes are important to you, like they are to me, each time you update your wishlist in the DB, click update post, grab the new URL and update your sig link.

dalkambo
05-22-2009, 06:21:52 AM
Thanks Kristen. I did put my notes on there when I made my list and clicked the update button. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on where to look for the info.

cookin4less
05-22-2009, 10:40:49 PM
Kristen :wavehi:, thank you for the info but I guess I should have been a little clearer with what I meant. I know how to do the update post. But the notes go to the forum list. What I meant was there isn't a way to post those types of notes where they are seen in the db lists...other than the notes section for each q.

I don't like using the update post button b/c I don't like the way it formats the list in the forum wishlist. I use the forum w/l in a more general (old style) way...to show the stores I shop at, whether they double or triple, values that I desire the most, and items that I use. So that no matter what q's are out at that moment other traders will know I use that item and can offer me any q they have for it rather than listing specific q's as in the db.

I like having both types of lists as I think it helps with my trades. I can use the db to search for matches to specific q's and the forum one to keep my notes and general list that I can easily update to show what item I'm in need of the most at that time (similar to how you list low, medium, or high in the db).The db loads slowly for me alot of times and can be annoying if I'm in a hurry. :hectic1: It takes along time to add, edit, and search in the db. I love what you can do with it but sometimes I want to get it done faster. And sometimes I just don't feel like wading through a list of specific q's and I can look at someones old style forum wishlist and get a general idea much more quickly of what they are looking for. Plus I don't have to edit my siggy everytime I update my lists. :giggle2:

Thanks again for the info...you are a big help around here. HCW wouldn't be the same without you. :biggrin:

dalkambo
05-23-2009, 06:54:23 PM
Okay yall, I am starting to feel a little dim. I have my database wishlist. I put my notes on it. What I cannot figure out, even after reading the FAQs and two days worth of trying to figure it out, is how to put my list into that nice list format like your's, Kristen. Can you help me through it? Or, you could just do it for me...:wink7:

cookin4less
05-23-2009, 09:41:43 PM
Okay yall, I am starting to feel a little dim. I have my database wishlist. I put my notes on it. What I cannot figure out, even after reading the FAQs and two days worth of trying to figure it out, is how to put my list into that nice list format like your's, Kristen. Can you help me through it? Or, you could just do it for me...:wink7:

Actually you have already done it. All you need to do now is go to the wishlist forum, find your wishlist, open it up, copy the URL address, and then go into edit your siggy to add in the link to your forum style wishlist.
Here is your wish list...this URL will be the one that you use to make your link with.

http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/wish-lists-seeking-coupons-actuals-trade/244647-dalkambos-wish-list.html

Just remember that everytime you hit update post in the db it will delete the forum w/l that you have and will make a new one so you will have to edit your siggy link everytime you update it through the db b/c the link will not work anymore since your w/l will have a new URL.

HTH

dalkambo
05-24-2009, 07:12:46 PM
Wow! Thank you! I think I've got it!

bugface711
11-22-2009, 06:54:13 AM
Time to bump this up.

bugface711
12-20-2009, 06:38:41 AM
moving this up

bugface711
01-11-2011, 04:51:57 PM