PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Challenges

navybaby1113
12-22-2008, 09:08:25 PM
Well, I just got engaged so I have a couple of challenges for myself.

We're planning a March 2010 wedding so we have to start saving now! We're shooting for a $5000 budget, which isn't much at all. But, that's really all we'll be able to save up with our limited incomes. So, as soon as the holidays are over, we're going to make budgets for ourselves so we can start saving up for the wedding. I'm going to be sticking to a $100 a month food budget. Hopefully that won't be too hard.

Also, I'm trying to lose 25 pounds by the end of April. I'm not happy with my body in any way and I want to loose weight before I start shopping for wedding dresses. My maid-of-honor is going to be working on this with me.

summermay
12-22-2008, 09:43:40 PM
:congrats77:

My daughter got married almost three years ago and we had a beautiful wedding for about $5000. It can be done, it just takes a little more time finding the right deals for the things you need. Wishing you the best. :smile:

couponsmakecents
12-22-2008, 09:48:51 PM
:congrats77:

My daughter got married almost three years ago and we had a beautiful wedding for about $5000. It can be done, it just takes a little more time finding the right deals for the things you need. Wishing you the best. :smile:

I got married in 1995 and we did it on $3000. PM me if you would like to talk about some ideas to save $$$$

Congrats on getting engaged.

chitownmelli
12-22-2008, 09:53:02 PM
Thank you for sharing your challenge with us! You can totally do it! If we pulled our wedding off for $1200, I KNOW you can do it for 5K!

I'll be here with you every step of the way, and I am certain that if you stick to your goal you can lose your 25 pounds by April. :)

PM me any time, I am happy to talk and listen or whatever you need :)

BTW what are your wedding colors? Have you decided yet?

navybaby1113
12-23-2008, 10:44:52 AM
Thanks so much for the support! It makes me feel a lot better to know that people put out wonderful weddings for even more than what we're planning!

navybaby1113
12-23-2008, 10:49:08 AM
I'm not 100% sure of wedding colors yet. My main idea is black and white with accents of damask and Tiffany Blue. I've also thought of Japanese cherry blossoms. I'm waiting until we have a site picked out before I finalize what my colors will be because I don't want them to clash.

taxchyk
12-23-2008, 10:50:49 AM
Congrats, and I'm sure we can all help once you've made a few decisions...

Sweet_Southern_Mama
12-23-2008, 10:53:44 AM
It can definitely be done!! I got married in July for $6500, but it would have been $5,000 or less had people not let us down last minute. We ended up having to rent tables and chairs and pay for a videographer unexpectedly. I would just make sure and confirm things multiple times with any vendors. What helped us save the most is the church and reception site. We paid $200 for the church and $200 for the reception site when most people charge around $4,000. I would advise getting creative and thinking outside of the box. We used a local historic church and a local teen gathering place that's often rented for kids' birthday parties.

Good luck on the weight loss and the $100/month food budget! You can do it! Also, don't forget to save up some money for after you get married. You'll get cash gifts, but they may not be as much as you expect.

MrsPinecone
12-23-2008, 11:05:04 AM
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/frugal-living/912-weddings-budget.html

puakinikini
12-23-2008, 11:10:50 AM
Congratulations - I got married in our backyard and we stuck to a strict $5000 budget (which included everything). Our big splurge was live music for the ceremony and a DJ and dance floor for after dinner - but it was worth it.

chitownmelli
12-23-2008, 11:21:10 AM
that sounds really nice what you have thought of with the Cherry blossoms, I have a little tiny idea that I got when you said that. Bath and Body works has Cherry Blossom scented lotion and such and it smells really nice, I thought maybe it would be a cute thing that you could give to your bridesmaids as gifts????

I'm all cutesied out for now though, ya know, Christmas lol!!! Keep us posted!!!

navybaby1113
12-23-2008, 01:14:53 PM
Thanks for the link to the budget weddings. I was looking for something like that but couldn't find it!

navybaby1113
01-11-2009, 11:22:16 AM
I bought a new video called the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. It's hard as heck, but it's getting easier. All you ladies who want to lose weight fast, should definitely try this out.

tarasand
01-11-2009, 11:32:02 AM
Congratulations on your engagement. It can be done. Less is more. It is a one day celebration of your marriage. Get creative!

sushiroll
01-22-2009, 04:22:31 PM
First of all, congratulations! :BigHand:

Congratulations on your engagement. It can be done. Less is more. It is a one day celebration of your marriage. Get creative!

I agree. You want to have a nice party to celebrate, but it's no reason to mortgage your future for ONE DAY.

Good for you for starting so early, so you work on saving/losing weight over time rather than panicking at the last minute. DBF and I are still stuck doing the long-distance thing for another year and a half, so I have LOTS of time.... :bored2:

My sister is getting married in September, though, so I need to get moving on the weight loss myself! Gotta get rid of these jiggly arms and stomach myself! Off to the weight loss challenge thread.... :gerbil1:

barbyq
01-22-2009, 09:50:03 PM
We got married in April almost 3 yrs ago and for 60 people it was less than $6000. (we did a traditional plated meal at a golf course in the south burbs of Chicago too) I'm sure you can pull it off with no problems. Just do lots and lots of research and negotiations. Also sit down and decide whats important to you and your fiance. (like flowers, music, food that kind of stuff)

Anyways CONGRATS and please don't hesitate to ask for help pointers on things. There are lots of women here that love to give helpful advice.

Mothernature
01-23-2009, 09:01:51 AM
Congrats. Many businesses offer up to a 30% discount for a Sunday wedding. Something to consider.

GODSPRINZES
01-23-2009, 09:21:02 AM
Oh I just love weddings.....Congratulations to the both of you. :) We went to the Courthouse and got married. In Dec. of this year, it will be five years for us. We plan to have a small candlelite wedding and a reception. My husband want's me to be in a wedding dress and him in his dress blues.........He's not asking for much, as a wedding gift to him, I'll do it. Have fun on your day. :)

lssugoalie
01-23-2009, 03:43:08 PM
I bought a new video called the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. It's hard as heck, but it's getting easier. All you ladies who want to lose weight fast, should definitely try this out.

Thank you, I'm going to check this out. We just postponed our wedding for the...wait for it....FOURTH time. I hate my family, his is great and we would elope if we didn't want his parents there. Good luck. Keep us posted.

DianeScraps
01-23-2009, 05:51:09 PM
Congrats, you can do it! My hubby and I were married in 1994, our total came in at about $5400, and that included 200 guests with a meal.

Lots of research and use your resources, but it can be done.

My BFFs wedding was at least 3 times as much as mine and there was nothing that she had more in hers that I missed in mine.

My only other advise - be kind to your bridal party! My girls were able to wear the dresses from my wedding MANY times (heck my daughter has worn one of the dresses that my sister wore several times), and when I helped (ok strongly poked) in the picking of the BFFs bridesmaids dresses we ended up with a very classic style, that looked great on all figure types and everyone in the bridal party wore many times (my sister even wore mine to her high school prom . . . she asked to wear it, considering she is 10 yrs younger then me that is a big deal!)

navybaby1113
01-23-2009, 10:16:48 PM
Thanks so much for the advice ladies. I found my dress the other day! Very exciting. We're also going to look at another location on Wednesday. I can't wait!

deb60
02-06-2009, 06:11:10 PM
This can be done for 5K and whole lot less. Delagate jobs to family and friends and don't be afraid to loosen up and enjoy. You only do this once so sit back relax and enjoy each other and the ride o a life time. (married 28 years)

navybaby1113
03-09-2009, 09:43:58 AM
We got our engagement pictures done the other day if you're interested. There's a few of the best ones on the photographers website under "Engagements"

katherinefiske.com

Kristen.C
03-09-2009, 10:55:39 AM
We got our engagement pictures done the other day if you're interested. There's a few of the best ones on the photographers website under "Engagements"

katherinefiske.com

Engagements (http://katherinefiske.com/Engagements.html#3)

Is this you? I absolutely love this photo!

navybaby1113
03-09-2009, 09:01:23 PM
Engagements (http://katherinefiske.com/Engagements.html#3)

Is this you? I absolutely love this photo!

Yes, that's us. Thank you. That is actually one of my favorite photos. She didn't charge us for the shoot either because she's trying to build up her portfolio. She ended up taking 240 pictures and I can't wait to use them all!