PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Who's going to try the Jane4girls $800 budget this year?!

reincarnation
12-15-2008, 06:55:23 PM
http://jane4girls800dollarannualbudget.blogspot.com/ (http://jane4girls800dollarannualbudget.blogspot.com/)

:BigHand:, I'll try!

Wolfie1991
12-15-2008, 06:58:19 PM
Seriously? You're gonna do it?

chitownmelli
12-15-2008, 07:00:20 PM
congrats! We do what we can to keep our costs as low as possible, and I use her blog as an inspiration to do better, and also, I learn from what she does. I do not think $800 would cut it here. Best of luck, I really hope you make it!

CouponSAHM
12-15-2008, 07:03:53 PM
LOL I'm not ready for that step quite yet!! I have 1 in diapers and 1 in pullups. Jane4girls has inspired me though. I am going to try $600 for 6 months and see where I'm at. I've been extreme couponing/stockpiling for 10 months now, so I feel my stockpile is at a point I can be a lot pickier and hopefully keep my OOP low!!
Good Luck Ladies!!!

reincarnation
12-15-2008, 07:04:30 PM
I'm off to a pretty good start I think.

A Ton of tea, hotdogs, peanutbutter, shampoo/razors, ....I can't name it all, but my pantry is pretty darn full right now.

I will deff try. It's the 'meat' I'll have a hard time with I think...

jillibean_1978
12-15-2008, 07:11:13 PM
Maybe when I have a stockpile that would get me through a year. lol

reincarnation
12-15-2008, 07:17:10 PM
Maybe when I have a stockpile that would get me through a year. lol

I'm thinking that's about the only way it can be done.
Milk, meat, fruits & veggies would be hard enough on that amount.

I started my 'pile' in March. I am going to make a spead sheet if you will of what I currently have & how much.

I hope to see a bunch of folks try it!!!!

zoeys_mom
12-15-2008, 07:18:24 PM
I think I am aiming for a negative $800 just to be the anti j4g! Cheer me on! :hysterical:

disclaimer: erin and I are friends and this message has been approved as and non flaming in any way toward any member of the human species:biggrin::BigHand:

Go Erin Go!:whistle67:

kim2256
12-15-2008, 07:18:54 PM
I'm going to try something similar for 2009 but there's no way I can do $800. I will be setting up a budget probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 per week for food, cleaning and personal care needs. (I'll probably also have a small amount allowable for dining out once a week.) This is less than I've been paying for the last few months. I'd love to do less but my work schedule, family responsibilities and building a stockpile simply will not allow it. If I am able to spend less than this budget, any saved money can go into a savings fund.

mama22qts
12-15-2008, 07:34:57 PM
No way. I wish I could though and I wish everyone who tries the absolute best!

lovelyrita
12-15-2008, 07:53:44 PM
It's definitely an inspiration and admirable goal. Maybe if I didn't live in LOND, I would give it a try. I do want to lower what I've been spending but nothing that drastic.

Alexdur85
12-15-2008, 08:07:07 PM
I can't find what everyone is talking about.. I've like read the whole thing..

borntoshop
12-15-2008, 08:11:26 PM
I can't find what everyone is talking about.. I've like read the whole thing..

http://jane4girls800dollarannualbudget.blogspot.com/ (http://jane4girls800dollarannualbudget.blogspot.com/)

(http://jane4girls800dollarannualbudget.blogspot.com/)

Alexdur85
12-15-2008, 08:13:13 PM

(http://jane4girls800dollarannualbudget.blogspot.com/)

Thanks.. I saw that it asked to vote but I didn't see what exactly it was talking about. I didn't see where she was explaining her budget and what not.

borntoshop
12-15-2008, 08:19:32 PM
This is at the top of Erin's blog ...

JANE4girls $800 Annual Budget For A Family of 4

This is a savings blog for all those out there who think you can't get anything for free. With smart shopping and a fistful of coupons this blog proves otherwise. Pull up a chair and join me on my adventure to make $800 go further than people think it can.

zoeys_mom
12-15-2008, 08:20:59 PM
If you read her ENTIRE blog (even the archives) she shows what she spends day by day. She only counts her oop expenses and nothing that she pays for by gift cards since those are free or rolling deals (kind of like cvs).
You probably need to start in jan and work your way through the year to understand it fully

HTH clarify some!

seedlady
12-15-2008, 08:45:06 PM
i wish i could, but i spend that much on gas. i just did the math- i get 20 dollars a week, and use 15 each week for gas, so that leaves me $5 per week to live on. of my $1040 a year, $780 goes into the gas tank, and i have $260 left over to feed, clothe, and entertain myself.

if i only had budgeted 800 for the year, i just don't think i could eat using only the 20 dollars that is left over. hmm. i just don't see how she does it. i can't seem to get my food and clothing down to less than 20 a month. sigh.

Doreen
12-15-2008, 08:51:37 PM
Erin is so awesome! I really, really admire her :)

There is no way that we could make it on $800 for a year! Although, I wish we could.

The best of luck to all who try out the plan.

Ggbwg
12-15-2008, 08:54:25 PM
I wish we could but can't. Will try my hardest to use very little though. I have a couple questions ....

1. is your $ alloted for your year budget include holidays/birthdays ?
2. Is your budget just for food or everything including bills?

puakinikini
12-15-2008, 09:22:28 PM
I am in the "no way, man" camp with mama22qts - although I find it totally admirable that Erin makes it work. I have 2 in diapers and one on formula. Even getting the formula for cheap: $25 -$5 store discount (WAGS or other store) - $2 Q -$5 Formula check = $13 * 5 cans a month = $65! and that is when I can get a check and a discount at the same time. So I think $800/month is out of the question for our family sadly! My own *less stunning goal* is to reduce our food costs by an additional 10% next year - I already have reduced it by about 50-60% and would like ti to be 60-70%.

couponsmakecents
12-15-2008, 09:37:12 PM
I am taking J4G's plan and modifying it. My goal for 2009 is $3/day for 2 people x 365 days = $1095 for the year or $21/week. I live in LND but do have a good source of wine tags, inserts, and tear pads so I think I can do it. I am starting a blog in January and will track as I go. I am still working out the "rules" for myself and will post them all in the blog. I don't think I can do the $800 without driving the dog crazy...my husband, well, he is already driving me crazy...:hysterical:

chitownmelli
12-15-2008, 09:47:34 PM
CMC ~ YOU GO GIRL!!! Make sure I get that linky to your blog!!! I would love to watch you drive the dog nuts! Best of luck, I know you can do it!

shelleyf
12-16-2008, 05:17:10 AM
I have to pay food tax on coupons so I know I couldn't do it. I always have some sort of oop.

chriscree
12-16-2008, 07:21:23 AM
I don't do rebates or ebay so I don't think I would be able to add anything to the budget to keep it going. So I think I will just set a budget of $50 a week x52 -weeks=$2600 wow that is alot but when you beak it down to weekly not much. This will be for food and hba I do not have a stockpile yet so hopefully I wll be able to build one as I go.

*edit to add this will also include eating out.

reincarnation
12-16-2008, 09:17:30 AM
:GroceryShopping123:

The $800 is for Groceries Only for me. (Includes Cleaning & Pet Food):money7:

It is Not:nm2: an $800 budget for fuel, clothing, ect. That would be impossible...:money1:

sandygirl
12-16-2008, 09:30:35 AM
I'm going to try it, but my budget is going to be $3000 for the year. I live in the LOND and limited shopping options. That includes all paper goods, cat food, cleaning items, etc - everything you would buy at the grocery, cvs, Target, and walgreens & Sam's club.
That's cutting our budget in about half - we are going to USE some of my giant stockpile up!

Ggbwg
12-16-2008, 09:53:36 AM
:GroceryShopping123:

The $800 is for Groceries Only for me. (Includes Cleaning & Pet Food):money7:

It is Not:nm2: an $800 budget for fuel, clothing, ect. That would be impossible...:money1:

That's what i thought, just wanted to make sure :giggle2:

xolesliexo
12-16-2008, 09:57:59 AM
I think you could only do 800 in texas!!! they have cheap food and amazing deals! :)

chriscree
12-16-2008, 10:11:04 AM
I have been reading her blog and I think she used rebates and ebay to subsadize her budget. Hopefully she will check in and clearify.
Erin where are you?? oh Erin come out, come out wherever you are....

JANE4girls
12-16-2008, 10:13:47 AM
I am taking J4G's plan and modifying it. My goal for 2009 is $3/day for 2 people x 365 days = $1095 for the year or $21/week. I live in LND but do have a good source of wine tags, inserts, and tear pads so I think I can do it. I am starting a blog in January and will track as I go. I am still working out the "rules" for myself and will post them all in the blog. I don't think I can do the $800 without driving the dog crazy...my husband, well, he is already driving me crazy...:hysterical: I am at the end of my first full year and need help with some rules too...go check the mod forum!

I have to pay food tax on coupons so I know I couldn't do it. I always have some sort of oop. luckily that is one thing we don't have to pay, unless it is convenient food, then we pay tax.

I don't do rebates or ebay so I don't think I would be able to add anything to the budget to keep it going. So I think I will just set a budget of $50 a week x52 -weeks=$2600 wow that is alot but when you beak it down to weekly not much. This will be for food and hba I do not have a stockpile yet so hopefully I wll be able to build one as I go.

*edit to add this will also include eating out.

mine includes eating out too, I do rebates when I can find them as long as they came from items that counted toward my budget (example, the ACE rebates money does not go back into the pot, but the Turkey rebates would), but don't really do ebay, just dabbled in it for a few months and hardly made anything.

I think you could only do 800 in texas!!! they have cheap food and amazing deals! :)

and higher property taxes :hysterical:

chriscree
12-16-2008, 10:23:30 AM
wow Erin that was quick thanks for posting. I am hopefull that this will be the year we get our spending under control that is my #1 goal. Are you going to do a wrap up post at the end of the year with the good, the bad and the ugly of living on $800?

JANE4girls
12-16-2008, 10:25:27 AM
wow Erin that was quick thanks for posting. I am hopefull that this will be the year we get our spending under control that is my #1 goal. Are you going to do a wrap up post at the end of the year with the good, the bad and the ugly of living on $800?

yep! and I will also unveil my new plan for 2009...so stay tuned :hysterical:

jessica117
12-16-2008, 10:36:32 AM
yep! and I will also unveil my new plan for 2009...so stay tuned :hysterical:

that what i was wondering humm whats she going to do next year

dwshrty77roc
12-16-2008, 10:43:36 AM
I think I am aiming for a negative $800 just to be the anti j4g! Cheer me on! :hysterical:

disclaimer: erin and I are friends and this message has been approved as and non flaming in any way toward any member of the human species:biggrin::BigHand:

You crack me up sometimes. :hysterical::giggle2: I'm glad you're a Houstonian/Katyonian :hysterical::giggle2:

JANE4girls
12-16-2008, 10:49:21 AM
You crack me up sometimes. :hysterical::giggle2: I'm glad you're a Houstonian/Katyonian :hysterical::giggle2:

is that what it is called? I always wondered :shrug7:

zoeys_mom
12-16-2008, 10:50:58 AM

Thanks, I am actually NOT in Katy(im in Houston), but shhhhh don't tell anyone. :wink7:

I can't wait to see what Erin has in store for her readers in 2009!

sandygirl
12-16-2008, 11:58:41 AM
I'm not either - I'm further south in San Antonio.

I wish we had stores like in Houston though.

Ggbwg
12-16-2008, 12:33:04 PM
that what i was wondering humm whats she going to do next year

Well the only guess would be.. to go cheaper :giggle2:

SeekingHeaven2
12-16-2008, 01:11:28 PM
Ok, I found Jane4Girls blog when I started couponing in April 2008. Now that we've built a stockpile -- I'm going to give it a whirl. Since our family size is 7 -- I divided Janes family size of 4 into her $800 budget = $200 per member and came up with our family budget that equates to hers = 7 x $200 = $1400. So I just created a blog and its description and will start tracking our shopping starting Jan. 1, 2009. This is exciting and somewhat scary. Anyways, we are going to give it a shot!

kgsave
12-16-2008, 01:22:48 PM
Jane4girls and Zoeysmom always crack me up...

jillibean_1978
12-16-2008, 01:29:45 PM
I just wanted to let ya all know that you all have inspired me. I know I can't get our budget down to $800/yr. Because we have a family of 6 plus I feed 4 extra almost every night and we have no place that doubles/triples. But I will plan on working on a budget and try our best to stick with it.
Thanks!!!!!

JANE4girls
12-16-2008, 01:34:07 PM
Jane4girls and Zoeysmom always crack me up...

:giggle2: :whistle67:

reincarnation
12-16-2008, 01:42:20 PM
:christmas7:
Awesome! Goodluck ladies!!!!
:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:
I'll keep track on myspace. MySpace.com - ~ Howard Family ~ - 99 - Female - Tennessee - www.myspace.com/422391693 (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=422391693)

hbaqueen
12-16-2008, 03:34:04 PM
I so wish I could! My stockpile is quite sad though so I dont see it happening. And she has a lot more stores than I do.
I love her blog though!!! She is amazing!

Like a PP said my budget for the new year is gonna be about $100 a week which is cutting back for us since weve lived on the stockpile so long and are pretty much out of everything food and even HBA wise. And weve been eating out a lot which is gonna stop.
Krogers really hurt me this year by not doing super doubles but Kmart doing them helped my hba stash some.

I am watching every penny this coming year and going to try to do more rebates and actually keep track of them.
Good luck everyone with your goals!

nateNnatsmommy
12-16-2008, 04:40:53 PM
Erin, can you give us an idea what your budget was before 2008? I think it would help us with our goal setting to see how much you decreased your budget, and maybe that can help us all set realistic goals for ourself.

(If this question is answered on your site, I apologize; can't look at it here at work.)

Thanks!

JANE4girls
12-16-2008, 05:47:08 PM
Erin, can you give us an idea what your budget was before 2008? I think it would help us with our goal setting to see how much you decreased your budget, and maybe that can help us all set realistic goals for ourself.

(If this question is answered on your site, I apologize; can't look at it here at work.)

Thanks!

I started this project in August of 2007, and pro-rated the $800 at that point, then at the beginning of 2008 began again with $800.

Before that point I really never kept track of my spending..I know...bad...but I would say I probably spent close to $4800 a year give or take. Some weeks I spend more than the average, some weeks well under the average, but I look at the whole year and not by month. I didn't just drastically slash it, it took me about 3 years to get my stockpile to the level I had it at the beginning of this project to allow me to only fill in the missing items. If I had a little or no stockpile there is no way I could have done this.

That is the whole key to stockpiling items when you can. Now that everything is on the rise it is harder and harder to get what you want or need. Lucky for me I am friendly with my managers and I can order what I need. And taking a lead from hotcouponmama, I am doing edible landscaping. No where near her level, but every little bit counts. That will help cut the cost of fruits and veggies.

I am lucky too that I don't have kids with special dietary needs, formula...stuff like that, because that would make a big difference in what my budget could be. We are not huge meat eaters, so that helps too. And factoring in where I live and the stores I have and the ability to double and triple coupons makes a huge difference too.

greenrays
12-16-2008, 06:10:30 PM
is that what it is called? I always wondered :shrug7:

I wouldn't go w/how she pronounces it....

REMEMBER

Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo??

:hysterical::hysterical:

nateNnatsmommy
12-16-2008, 06:23:27 PM
thanks erin!

Momtwo
12-17-2008, 09:50:15 AM
First let me say: Erin Rocks! I am so happy to see her do so well with the amount of money she spends and to see so many people learn from her.
You are doing a huge service to a lot of people!

That said, we could never live on that amount for groceries and eating out. There are 2 of us and a cat. Good meat here is very expensive and DH loves his filet mignons and NY Strip steaks.

We don't eat out often but when we do we like upscale restaurants and not chain food. So our eating out budget is separate and part of our entertainment budget.

I do have a a stockpile and set my 2009 budget on my blog a # of days ago. I will spend $ 150. a month or $ 1800. next year. This is what is reasonable for us for food, HBA, cat food, cleaning products, and over the counter meds.

Precious

Cynthiabutterfly
12-17-2008, 11:22:21 AM
I read Erin's blog, and I am totally amazed by her. I don't think I could do it. But she has inspired me to rethink my spending, and I am going to try to budget better this year, now that I have built my stockpile again after moving a few months ago.

I do count the cost of papers in my grocery budget, since I have to buy papers, but I've never thought about counting gas costs for driving to/from multiple stores.

nateNnatsmommy
12-17-2008, 11:26:13 AM
I agree with this; I'm currently tinkering with my budget to see if dropping it from the current $75 a week for 2 adults, a 4yo, a 1yo, 1 dog, and 1 cat, is doable. Meat's the killer. If I served my husband dinner with no meat, he'd have a cow. Pardon the pun. :hysterical:

I read Erin's blog, and I am totally amazed by her. I don't think I could do it. But she has inspired me to rethink my spending, and I am going to try to budget better this year, now that I have built my stockpile again after moving a few months ago.

I do count the cost of papers in my grocery budget, since I have to buy papers, but I've never thought about counting gas costs for driving to/from multiple stores.

JANE4girls
12-17-2008, 11:33:08 AM

I do count coupon cost too, if I am paying real money for them vs ECB or RR. I don't calculate gas in there only because I do my shopping on the way to the kids schools, while running other errands or while doing work related driving too.

doulas3babes
12-17-2008, 12:51:16 PM
I think she does an AWESOME job!! :BigHand: All the best to those of you that are trying it!!

As close as I can come with a family of 5 and 2 cats (kids are 8, 5, & 3 - still in diapers/pullups) is $250/mos. and that is for EVERYTHING!! Food, cleaners, hba, diapers, wipes, pet food, etc. I'm working on trying to get that down to $200/mos. That is my goal for 2009.

Also, my budget also includes all the food/hba/cleaners that I donate over the yr to the outreach centers and our little school during our food drive in Dec. You can read more about that in my blog. :wink7:

momof2inohio
12-17-2008, 12:55:21 PM
I really need to work on a better budget. I spend at least 100-150 a week just on food at the grocery for a family of 4 and 2 big dogs. I dont have much stockpiled at all. This will be my new years resolution. My DH has to have meat for dinner every night and he also has to have all this organic and protein stuff:rolleyes24: lol

jonjaktez
12-17-2008, 01:29:12 PM
I think she does an AWESOME job!! :BigHand: All the best to those of you that are trying it!!

As close as I can come with a family of 5 and 2 cats (kids are 8, 5, & 3 - still in diapers/pullups) is $250/mos. and that is for EVERYTHING!! Food, cleaners, hba, diapers, wipes, pet food, etc. I'm working on trying to get that down to $200/mos. That is my goal for 2009.

Also, my budget also includes all the food/hba/cleaners that I donate over the yr to the outreach centers and our little school during our food drive in Dec. You can read more about that in my blog. :wink7:

$250 for 5 people is very good. We are a family of 5 (full time) with 2 step children that visit often and 5 cats, 3 dogs, and 2 turtles and our budget is $300 a month. You are doing GREAT!!

happysoul
12-17-2008, 01:48:14 PM
Erin is the best! she has taught to many so much and inspired thousands in the process.
I have learned a lot from here and appreciate that very much!

Mercedes

queenofthehivemomof5
12-17-2008, 04:17:40 PM
I don't think I could do $800 a year but my goal for 09 is to bring the budget down from $400 a month to $300 a month. I am pretty sure I can do it. Although I am not a blogger/tracker type person. I just keep track with cash in my grocery envelope.

hbaqueen
12-17-2008, 06:11:13 PM
I dont know how people with kids in diapers can get their totals so low. We go thru 2 1/2 packs per week so right there is atleast $22 after coupons and sales.
And thats for one kid Ive seen others who have several in diapers do better.
I am with the PP who has the meat at every meal DH mine is the same way.
WE also go thru a ton of milk with DS which is costly as well.
Guess Im gonna have to read some blogs and get some inspiration because I really need to do better.

momof2inohio
12-17-2008, 06:26:26 PM
I dont know how people with kids in diapers can get their totals so low. We go thru 2 1/2 packs per week so right there is atleast $22 after coupons and sales.
Guess Im gonna have to read some blogs and get some inspiration because I really need to do better.

Milk is a big expense here as well. My DH can go through a gallon in 1-2 days if I let him. I limit him lol.:giggle2:

Susan in WA
12-17-2008, 08:42:47 PM
So if we live in LOND do we double or triped Jane4girls amount? Even that formula seems so low for me right now. :grouch2:

lalanpnut
12-17-2008, 09:20:11 PM
I'll try $800 with a 1 in the beginning, no way we could do it with kitty litter and diapers :P

CouponSAHM
12-17-2008, 09:51:43 PM
I have 1 in diapers and 1 just recently moved to pull ups!! I laughed when I read your post because for us the milk and diaper situation went hand in hand!! When I started limiting the amount of milk I gave them (cause the price sky rocketed) I also was able to cut down the number of diapers I changed!! My boys are both old enough to let me know when they are thirsty so I quit the automatic handing out sippy cups and wait for them to tell me. I also use condensed milk for cooking and we eat alot of cheese and yogurt and to help supliment the calcium needs! My mom and I split the cost of a Sam's membership so if there are no diaper deals to be found at the drug stores and my stockpile is depleted I head over there for one big box that will last until the next deal comes around!!:smile:

queenofthehivemomof5
12-17-2008, 10:03:20 PM
For those in the LOND (no not London...that is the Land of no doubles) great deals can still be had if you are willing to stockpile and think outside the box on ways to increase your budget by doing gift card offers, surveys, etc.

While 800 a year is tight and you have to really work at it you can still save tons of money. Janes blog is inspiring but it takes a lot of work to do what she does. I commend her for it though!

I wish some of you formual moms lived her. Right now my Albertsons has cans of Similac w/iron on clearance for $8 a can. Alas we have no babies....

zoeys_mom
12-17-2008, 10:31:56 PM
Erin does a great job but keep in mind this IS Tx and even though our property tax is HIGH, we can usually get good deals on food. Anyone who is trying to gauge a budget like J4G needs to keep in mind these "rules" in order to have a comparable budget:
1. In TX we only pay taxes on AFTER coupon prices and for grocery ONLY on convience foods or foods that cannot be consumed in one sitting
2. Of 4 Main grocery stores two chains double/triple coupons
3. We have both CVS and Walgreens competing for our business

Erin has NO kids in diapers or requiring formula, nor do they normally drink regular cows milk. This is NOT to discredit Erin in ANY way. but anyone trying to make a comparable budget needs to factor these items into their equation to give themselves an accurate portrayal of an "obtainable" budget goal! I don't want anyone failing the first month because they are trying to live off a budget that just will NOT work because of their circumstances!!!!

cens0rship
12-17-2008, 10:42:32 PM
I'm interested in taking down our budget alot and I think I can do it as it is only my DBF and I with one Kitty ( albeit one very SPOILED FAT kitty) I'm not sure I'm as good as $800 yet but I'm just gonna try to do my best and see how it turns out. Sometimes when I give myself a specific number I let myself get away with too much so maybe if I just try to apply all my new knowledge on my shopping trips I can at least see a bigger reduction. :)

Oh and not to highjack but Zm what is the other store that doubles besides Krogers? Lol. I feel silly for not knowing.:)

hbaqueen
12-18-2008, 06:00:19 AM
Milk is a big expense here as well. My DH can go through a gallon in 1-2 days if I let him. I limit him lol.:giggle2:

LOL that is the exact words I say about DS. He could go thru a gallon a day if I let him. Of course I dont that would not be healthy but DH and I both drink a lot of milk and use it for cooking too so we still go thru almost a gallon a day. At nearly $4 a pop your talking over $20 a week for just milk.

So Im over $40 with just milk and diapers :hysterical:
Oh its not funny but it kinda is b/c what are ya gonna do you have to have it.
I think I got formula cheaper than I do milk!

As PP mentioned Im not saying an of this to discredit Jane because I think she is just plain awesome. And she still has her own kids needs to deal with and thats a small budget. So Im sure she has her own challenges,
Im just jealous I cant be more like her! And just trying to figure out ways to do better.
We have Walmart which I hate and a local grocery that doubles to .50 but is 3x higher than any other store b/c they know there is no competition. And they have no safety belts in the grocery carts which really irks me me trying to shop with DS there = :hectic1:
I have to drive over 35 miles to get to Kroger regardless which one I go to which doubles to .50 everyday.
And then thats the only grocery in those towns again except the Big W and the expensive local grocery.
35 miles to a Regular Target and they are not coupon friendly. I do have a kmart that is only about 10+ miles but they are not coupon friendly at all. But they are getting a lil better. CVS is I think 13 miles and their well trained and pretty cool and Riteaid again not friendly or well stocked is 10. But even though CVS isnt that far it is in a part of town where there is nothing else so if your running errands its kinda out of the way. And stock is a big issue there as well since there are a lot of couponers in this area.
Ive recently been doing a lil more CVSing just b/c I take my MIL to the hospital right there by it.

Ya wanna know the kicker though? I know someone here who lives farther out than I do. Has the exact same stores to work with. Has 3 kids instead of 1 to deal with. And has some medical issues similar to what I deal with. And she does a kick butt job for her family and donates a lot to others. So it can be done.
I just gotta figure out how to do it!!!

My goals for the new year are rebuilding my stockpile and keeping it organized so nothing goes to waste. reducing spending and increasing savings and rebuilding an emergency fund.
Keeping a detailed budget.
If anyone has any advice feel free to PM me.

reincarnation
12-18-2008, 07:11:09 AM
:wreath2:I thought I would give her budget a try after I saw How Much we still had from when I first started in March.

(remember the 10 for $10 sale at Kroger's? :) )

I hate waste. I gave away Boxes of that free Barellia Spagg after it was clear we hated wheat. Just got rid of cans of peanut butter, ect.

It's hard to judge what you can use before items expire. (like the daisy sour cream....I felt So bad.)

Anyway, my point is I have a ton left I'm forcing myself to use before it expires.

We are a family of 4. None of us are big breakfast people. :shopping23:

I think I have 4-6 months of cereal, grits, oatmeal, poptarts.

1-3 Years of all personal care, beauty, ect

3-6 months cleaning supplies, toliet paper

3-6 of pretty much everything else.

Basicly I can't see myself buying anything other than meat, milk or fruits/veggies. So my plan is to tally every month what I spend and see..

:winter4:I have access to 4 Krogers', 2 Publix', 5 Wags',1 Target,1 Kmart, a Walmart and I haven't even stepped into our numerous CVS stores more than 3 times. so I'm very lucky there. We just do not have tripples any where I have seen yet.

JANE4girls
12-18-2008, 08:26:27 AM
I want to echo what zm has said...about trying to make your goal too low and not being able to obtain it.

I didn't just start this one day and say "okay I am only going to spend $800 for the year and that is it."

I had to first build a stockpile up, and that took time, 3-4 years depending on the item.

We are NOT big meat eaters, so that is a ton of savings there. While we don't drink a lot of cows milk, we do drink TONS of soy milk which is often more expensive. But when the Silk coupons come out, you better believe I hustle and try and trade for as many of those babies as I can. Then I buy the shelf stable kind for free or close to it and am good until the next coupon comes out. When I see chicken at rock bottom prices I will fill the freezer and that will last a long time.

I have also been doing this long enough to know the store cycles (although it seems like they are changing), know how much we need to get by and know when to rush out and get a deal vs wait for it to go on sale.

I don't buy items just because I have coupons for them. I am very picky about it.

I do regret I have not bought as much fresh produce as I would have liked to have bought, but frozen and canned is still good as well, especially when you can get it free most of the time.

I know a lot of people think "oh look at her, omg how does she do it?"

but I just take my situation, the stores that double, the coupons I have, the foods we eat, and try and make the best out of it that I can. I work the RR deals and ECB deals to maximize my money too.

I do tons of surveys and promotions where I also get free gift cards. Those go right into buying grocery items. You just have to keep your eyes opened for these type of opportunities.

I think even if you are able to cut your grocery budget by 10% you are doing a great job. You will then be able to gradually cut it even more in time with stockpiling.

Good luck to everyone on their goals. :wavehi:

doulas3babes
12-18-2008, 05:03:44 PM
[QUOTE=hbaqueen;1423365]
We have Walmart which I hate and a local grocery that doubles to .50 but is 3x higher than any other store b/c they know there is no competition. And they have no safety belts in the grocery carts which really irks me me trying to shop with DS there = :hectic1:
I have to drive over 35 miles to get to Kroger regardless which one I go to which doubles to .50 everyday.
And then thats the only grocery in those towns again except the Big W and the expensive local grocery.
35 miles to a Regular Target and they are not coupon friendly. I do have a kmart that is only about 10+ miles but they are not coupon friendly at all. But they are getting a lil better. CVS is I think 13 miles and their well trained and pretty cool and Riteaid again not friendly or well stocked is 10. But even though CVS isnt that far it is in a part of town where there is nothing else so if your running errands its kinda out of the way. And stock is a big issue there as well since there are a lot of couponers in this area.
Ive recently been doing a lil more CVSing just b/c I take my MIL to the hospital right there by it.

Ya wanna know the kicker though? I know someone here who lives farther out than I do. Has the exact same stores to work with. Has 3 kids instead of 1 to deal with. And has some medical issues similar to what I deal with. And she does a kick butt job for her family and donates a lot to others. So it can be done.

[QUOTE]

Are you referring to me??? :giggle2: :whistle67:

hbaqueen
12-18-2008, 06:32:09 PM
[quote=hbaqueen;1423365]

[quote]

Are you referring to me??? :giggle2: :whistle67:

Yep! Sure was!!
Your my hero! LOL :giggle2:

navybaby1113
12-22-2008, 09:12:02 PM
I couldn't do $800 a year, but we're going to try for $1200 a year for 2009.

ahostler
12-22-2008, 10:12:03 PM
I have never heard of this before - but it looks like a very inspiring blog. Makes me want to set up a spreadsheet and track my grocery spending for 2009. I think I just found my new years resolution! Thanks~

FreckleTown
12-24-2008, 05:01:05 PM
I'm not although my DH probably wishes we could. He has some pretty particular tastes and of course, most of them do not have coupons... not to mention the large amount of meat he eats! :biggrin:

Just trying to lower ours below last year's. :biggrin: :biggrin:

ericat18
12-26-2008, 01:38:59 PM
Well we just found out last week that dh's work is redoing his pay structure and if the economy was booming we would be doing great, but with the way things are he is actually going to be bringing home quite a bit less money. As if the budget was not already tight enough...

I love to read Erin's blog and it is inspiring to me. My goal is to drop the grocery budget (food, diapers, hba, paper products, dog food etc) to compensate for part of it. We are a family of 2 adults, 3 kids (6, 3, 1-two youngest are in diapers), and 1 small dog.

My totals for the past few months (net of rebates that I do) are below-

Sept- 184.41
Oct- 164.27
Nov- 189.19
Dec- 139.52 so far
=677.39

Unfortunately we pay 3% tax on food and 6.45% tax on everything else and tax is charged on the pre-coupon amount (unless it is a store coupon). Of the above amount $135.80 of that is tax.

I live in the LOND, but I am able to do a lot of NBPR rebates so that helps a lot! I have Albertsons and Smiths (Kroger) that take turns having great deals. I also have Rite Aid and Walgreens for lots of freebies.

I am hoping $120 a month will be a reasonable amount for us. I am going to try it for January and February and then re-evaluate.

amys
12-26-2008, 03:05:48 PM
For those who are interested in trying the budget but are concerned over formula and diapers - don't include them in the budget. If you have a child under 1 - don't include the child in the budget at all. Those items are generally necessary for the child, but are disatrous to a budget and to your motivation. Kepp up with them if you want but don't count them as part of your grocery budget.

Consider this:

~ $200 per person/per year x # in the family
~ Include only edible items, not hba or cleaning products
~ Your choice as to incuding pet food
~ Don't count gas, mileage, maintenance - you have to go to the store anyways, but try to combine the trips
~ Try to stock up when able
~ Don't include the cost of papers (ouch!) as they have food and non-food in them
~ Do include the cost of purchasing special or additional coupons, but try to trade instead

These options can help you to meet your grocery budgeting goal and can keep you from losing your motivation and becoming overwhelmed.

Most important - don't be discouraged if you go over your intended budget - you are still doing better than before!!

ericat18
12-27-2008, 08:01:23 PM
~ Include only edible items, not hba or cleaning products
~ Your choice as to incuding pet food
~ Don't include the cost of papers (ouch!) as they have food and non-food in them

Erin- Doesn't your $800 budget include hba, cleaning and pet food? (Not saying everyone should include that in their budget, but I do.) Do you include the cost of your papers in the budget? (Again-I do since to me I think that is a part of the cost of the groceries. If i didn't buy the paper, then I couldn't get the grocery deals I get.)

I'm just curious about Erin's answers so I can compare apples to apples with what she does.

reincarnation
12-27-2008, 08:06:43 PM
She has detailed info on her blog, but I could not open it Fully today.

Glitch??? Can anyone else open it all the way?

JANE4girls
12-28-2008, 09:09:01 AM
Erin- Doesn't your $800 budget include hba, cleaning and pet food? (Not saying everyone should include that in their budget, but I do.) Do you include the cost of your papers in the budget? (Again-I do since to me I think that is a part of the cost of the groceries. If i didn't buy the paper, then I couldn't get the grocery deals I get.)

I'm just curious about Erin's answers so I can compare apples to apples with what she does.

yes, my budget includes all food, even pet, cleaning, hba, papers...everything.

I was having problems with my blog the past two days but hopefully it is fixed now. there is a link at the top "about me" and spells out in detail what is included and not included.

Hoshi
12-29-2008, 05:04:52 PM
I'm going to try it, but with less. Because it's just me and my roommate. Maybe $500 ... because I'm still not that great at couponing yet...plus I have a limited amount of stores, and I'm constantly busy with work or school (I'm a full-time student)...

skjenny
12-29-2008, 06:35:45 PM
I think 2000 would work for us. We're 2 adults and a 2 yr. old, with no doubles and no cvs. Last year it was 180/mo. so 166/mo. shouldn't be that much harder but hey it's less! :)

zoeys_mom
12-29-2008, 07:16:01 PM
Ok, I am actually pretty excited. I have been tracking my oop costs since August 1 and I have spent a total of $388.18 on all grocery, hba and pet food for a family of 4 (1 in diapers but I had a stockpile before she was even born, lol). My total from August through today was $388.18 which is about $78 a month. If you multiple by 12 to get the year worth, that would be $932 so I would say that is pretty darn good and I will aim for $900 next year, :hysterical:

serenity72
12-29-2008, 08:04:48 PM
scary after looking at this my dog eats $800 a year lol

elemonj
12-29-2008, 11:28:14 PM
wow, I don't think I could do this eithor. I need to grow my stockpile!

greenrays
12-30-2008, 07:16:27 AM
scary after looking at this my dog eats $800 a year lol

:hysterical:Me too!! I spend over $1100 just in dog food:whistle67:

serenity72
12-31-2008, 08:23:21 PM
LOL well im going to revise mine ill be spending a little more per month $100 im determined

Puffalapeno
01-04-2009, 09:51:14 AM
I would so love to try to do this, but I think my more realistic goal for this year will be trimming our food budget from $160 a month to $120 a month. Maybe next year I'll be ready to try for $800 for the whole year.

mom2fiveaz
01-08-2009, 07:11:42 PM
Is it too late to start? Payday tomorrow...we're a family of 2 adults and 4 kids (7, 9, 10, 13). I have quite a bit stockpiled, however how do you stop yourself from splurging "good deals", "promotions", etc? I think I spend more these days on produce and meat, everything else is pretty much stocked. How do I stay out of the stores!? Help!!!

southlandjamie
01-09-2009, 09:43:27 AM
[quote=queenofthehivemomof5;1423091]For those in the LOND (no not London...that is the Land of no doubles) quote]

Thank you! I was wondering what LOND ment! I am trying to cut back on our budget. When I first found HCW, I also found Jane4girls blog and read all the archives. I was definately inspired like everyone else. We have been spending $100-150/mo because dh has been shopping lately.:hysterical: I spend 1/2 when I shop. I would like to get a good stockpile going and cross over into the world of Extreme Couponing. Maybe one day I can have a $800/year budget. *sigh* Like the rest of you, it will be when dh is out of diapers. (I just bought the last can of formula and he will be done with it forever...Yipeeee)

JANE4girls
01-10-2009, 08:09:06 AM
Is it too late to start? Payday tomorrow...we're a family of 2 adults and 4 kids (7, 9, 10, 13). I have quite a bit stockpiled, however how do you stop yourself from splurging "good deals", "promotions", etc? I think I spend more these days on produce and meat, everything else is pretty much stocked. How do I stay out of the stores!? Help!!!

If there is a super hot deal I will stock up and then next month spend less.

I do my budget per year, vs per month like some people. So as long as mine averages out to $800 a year or less I am happy.

amys
01-10-2009, 09:40:26 AM

I do my budget per year, vs per month like some people. So as long as mine averages out to $800 a year or less I am happy.

I am attempting the $800 per year, and breaking it down to an average per month so that I watch the pennies. I wince when I put out more than I had hoped, but remembering I just stocked up on enough ham to last the rest of the year and only used half of my monthly average makes it easier.

Berrykarrie
01-10-2009, 12:15:04 PM
I am going to do $1200, but I have a family of 4 kids and my dh and me..so that is 6 people to feed :)

jjrogers
01-10-2009, 12:22:21 PM
I decided that starting next paycheck, I am aiming for 100 dollars a week. That includes six kids, my dh, 1dog and 1 cat. One of my kids is in diapers and on formula (my body is busted no milk this time.:sad:) I have been spending way more than that. Although I have quite the stockpile since I started in november.

She is actually the person that inspired me to start couponing. Someone sent me the link to her blog. And now my dh is fully on board after seeing all the stuff I am bringing home free.

Jillibean
01-10-2009, 12:52:34 PM
I just wanted to let ya all know that you all have inspired me. I know I can't get our budget down to $800/yr. Because we have a family of 6 plus I feed 4 extra almost every night and we have no place that doubles/triples. But I will plan on working on a budget and try our best to stick with it.
Thanks!!!!!
Sorry to hijack, but you are a jillibean too! Is your name Jillian? Jillian is my middle daughter's name; my 5-year-old sweetheart angel with Down Syndrome who is my world.:smile:

mom2fiveaz
01-11-2009, 04:07:13 PM

Erin,...you are awesome! Thanks for the tip on the produce/meat. Love your blog...the hummus/flour tortilla recipe is yummy!!! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and wisdom! :thanku6:
Becky

jillibean_1978
01-12-2009, 08:56:57 AM
Jillibean- LOL my name is Jill, it's my middle name. I have had the nickname jillibean for years.

Ok now back to Erin, lol

I wonder if I could get it close to $800 if I didn't include diapers and pet food. Just included food, H&B and cleaning supplies. It's something to watch.

ELLE-TN
01-05-2010, 08:12:30 PM

LOL! How did you do Stephanie?

Just kidding I know you are a super shopper. I follow both of your blogs. I check them several times a day. Even though we are miles and miles (states and states) apart..... I still find some very helpful information that helps me save too. Keep up the great work both of you.

zoeys_mom
01-05-2010, 10:41:03 PM
LOL! How did you do Stephanie?

Just kidding I know you are a super shopper. I follow both of your blogs. I check them several times a day. Even though we are miles and miles (states and states) apart..... I still find some very helpful information that helps me save too. Keep up the great work both of you.

If I told you, you wouldn't believe it so..........................
I will just say I did very very very very well:whistle67:

VivaciousJewelz
01-06-2010, 07:57:32 AM
You all put me to shame- I am attempting a $2500 budget for 2010 for just DH, I, DD (5 months) and 2 cats. I've only been couponing for a year, though. We're also moving in February, so I was leery of building up a huge stockpile I would then have to move.

VivaciousJewelz
01-06-2010, 07:57:51 AM
Oh, and Zoey's Mom- I am following your blog, too. It's been helpful already!

Ggbwg
01-06-2010, 08:32:01 AM
I can't get the deals like you all can. LOL so my budget is $3,000 :giggle2: Last year i spent $2165.16 & saved $3747.31

So all i can really hope for is less OOP and more in savings. We have no doubles here or no CVS. They say were getting a CVS though been waiting for over a year now. :rolleyes24:

I am amazed at everyones deals they get :biggrin:

ELLE-TN
01-06-2010, 08:55:22 AM
If I told you, you wouldn't believe it so..........................
I will just say I did very very very very well:whistle67:

Oh yeah, I would definitely believe you. Remember I follow the blog. I've seen you work the magic. :giggle2:

reincarnation
01-06-2010, 09:08:29 AM
Suprised to see this thread up again.

I know last year I did not do it in under $800, but am certain I did extremely well. I think being able to keep track of all the stores/reciepts was the hardest part for me.

How are you guys keeping track? or do you just have a monthly budget?

VivaciousJewelz
01-06-2010, 09:51:36 AM
Suprised to see this thread up again.

I know last year I did not do it in under $800, but am certain I did extremely well. I think being able to keep track of all the stores/reciepts was the hardest part for me.

How are you guys keeping track? or do you just have a monthly budget?

I'm blogging about all my trips and I'm totally my money spent vs saved. I also have a notebook where I keep track of my rebates.

nikarphar
01-10-2011, 07:21:46 PM
I am doing a $500 annual budget this year for our family of 3 after falling off the bandwagon last year.Anyone thinks this is possible or I'm nuts? Don't have much of a stockpile as I hardly couponed last year.

VivaciousJewelz
01-18-2011, 07:52:12 PM
I am doing a $500 annual budget this year for our family of 3 after falling off the bandwagon last year.Anyone thinks this is possible or I'm nuts? Don't have much of a stockpile as I hardly couponed last year.

Just $500 for the year?? Wow! Are you tracking your progress by blog or anything? I'd love to hear about how you're doing with this!

adkat
01-19-2011, 07:32:19 AM

I do think it is possible(with a hefty stockpile on hand when you start). However, I do not think it is sustainable. It would be very hard to do this year after year. Just look at the blogger's last comments on the blog. The concepts are very good and sound. I just think that for it to be realistic, at least for me, that the amount would have to be around $2400 a year(family of 4).
Life is short. At $800 a year you would never be allowed to buy that one splurge item(ice cream @ $6 for example). It would wreck your budget for weeks. I am not knocking anyone that does it at $800 a year. Quite the opposite, one that can do this has reached a Jedi Master level of extreme couponing and discipline. It's just not for me.

VivaciousJewelz
01-19-2011, 07:44:35 AM
I do think it is possible(with a hefty stockpile on hand when you start). However, I do not think it is sustainable. It would be very hard to do this year after year. Just look at the blogger's last comments on the blog. The concepts are very good and sound. I just think that for it to be realistic, at least for me, that the amount would have to be around $2400 a year(family of 4).
Life is short. At $800 a year you would never be allowed to buy that one splurge item(ice cream @ $6 for example). It would wreck your budget for weeks. I am not knocking anyone that does it at $800 a year. Quite the opposite, one that can do this has reached a Jedi Master level of extreme couponing and discipline. It's just not for me.

I came in under $2500 for a family of 3 in 2010, and it actually gave me a lot of leeway, I toyed with lowering my budget this year, but decided to keep it the same. $800 would be awesome, but I'm just happy this isn't 2006 where I spent $8000 or more on food and stuff!

adkat
01-19-2011, 08:02:25 AM
I came in under $2500 for a family of 3 in 2010, and it actually gave me a lot of leeway, I toyed with lowering my budget this year, but decided to keep it the same. $800 would be awesome, but I'm just happy this isn't 2006 where I spent $8000 or more on food and stuff!

Amen to that. We used to be right there around $8,000 a year. This will be my first year of actually keeping track of all store receipts. Last year we were around $3000.
We go through 2 gallons of milk per week. Let's assume an average price of $2.50 per gallon(probably more), that would be $2.50 x 2 x 52 weeks=
$260 a year.....just for milk
You can see why $800 a year is just not feasible for us.

VivaciousJewelz
01-19-2011, 02:49:26 PM
$2.50??? Oh, that would be a dream come true... I routinely pay $3.50 or $3.99 for milk and we go thru just as much.