PDA

View Full Version : Tips Mail-In-Rebates? (MIR's)

heyaheather
11-17-2008, 03:40:42 PM
Mail in Rebates are a great way to maximize your savings, after you have done what you can with coupons and sales. I didn't realize how much more money I could save on groceries (and other items) until recently.

Here @ HCW there is a great forum called "Gimme My Money Back (http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/gimme-my-money-back/)," where you can see a list of a large number of rebates available. If you don't have them yourself, you would trade for these just like coupons.

There are some tricks of the trade to help you make rebates work for you. I hope that others will help add to this list, as it is by no means complete!

Before you go to the store:
Make sure to stay organized before you start! Consider creating an Excel document to track the rebates you do, or find some method that will help you keep track of it all. It can get confusing and overwhelming if you do too many at a time. (You can find some useful info in this link: Getting Started- Couponing 102: Trading, Rebates, and Tracking Your Savings).
Read the form before you go to the store so that you know what the terms of the offer are. Some rebates ask that you buy a certain size, while others ask that you purchase a certain # of products. Others will ask for everything to be on one receipt or to occur during a specific time period.
Check the State Restrictions to make sure that the rebate is good in the state that you live.

At the store:
When you go to the store, make sure you get a reciept for each rebate you are doing. I will make sure that I do a separate transaction for each rebate, because most stores will not give you a duplicate copy of the receipt. It also saves you time from having to return and rebuy the products at a later time so that you do have an original receipt.
Keep each rebate organized. I keep each rebate in its own envelope. Once I get the receipt, I can add that to the envelope too.
Maximize your savings by using other coupons to help bring down the cost of the item(s) you're purchasing. Example: If your rebate is for 1 Free Listerine Smart Rinse, go and buy it at a store that has the best deal. This is CVS this month, because you can buy it for ~$3.29 and get $3.29 ECB back. You can also use 1 $.50/1 CVS Q and 1 $1/1 MQ to bring the initial cost down. If it were me, I would buy something else in the same transaction worth ~$1.50+ (to make up for the coupons I used), and then you should get the full value of the rebate. Some companies will only reimburse you for the actual $ OOP spent. Again, read the terms of the offer to make sure.
When you get back home:
Make sure you send/do what is asked of you per the terms of the offer. Many rebate offers want you to send in the UPC's from the packages--but not all. Some companies want the original receipts, but some will take a copy. Again, it pays to read the terms before submitting anything.
Keep a copy for your records of all the rebate material you send. I photocopy everything, including the envelope, before I send it in the mail. I have caught mistakes this way. If you don't want a paper copy of the rebate documents, you can just scan them to your computer and save them in a file. Once you recieve your check, just delete them. If you ever have questions, you will have the phone number from the form, as well as all the info on the receipt and whatever else you send. I've spoken with reps before, and said that such and such happened on this date, this is how much I spent, this is what else was on the receipt. They issued the rebate check once they knew that I had all the information at my fingertips. Knowledge is power.
Make sure to mail your envie once all the requirements are met (Thanks Schwoomsmom). It is easy to misplace an envelope, especially if your in the midst of many trades. I hand deliver all of my envies to the PO to make sure that they at least make it that far without a hitch! Once it's in the PO check it off your list as being sent.

SchwoomsMom
11-17-2008, 11:24:25 PM
One more thing...

Don't forget to send in the rebate!!!! This is one area that I am super horrible with, I'll get everything that I'm supposed to, and will simply forget about sending it, until it's too late.

As SOON as you get all the requirements, put that puppy in the mail!!!!!

Great post!!

heyaheather
11-18-2008, 09:57:41 AM
I forgot to add info about how to trade for MIR's.

You may not find all the MIR's in the Gimme My Money Back forum, so you can also search the database for them too. Just leave the description field blank. In the drop down menu for "Source," select "Mail In Rebate" as your option. A list of the available rebates will come quick as a wink!

Make sure to add the ones you want to your WL, as well as adding the ones you have for trade to your HL. This will make it easy for you to find others with the opposite wishes :)

tacatcon
01-17-2009, 05:44:25 AM
bump!!

cayro7
01-21-2009, 07:52:15 AM
Incidentally, when trading MIRs, don't forget to check the state restrictions! It stinks to get "the small envelope" back on a rebate, stating that it is not valid in your state!

heyaheather
01-22-2009, 09:28:00 PM
Incidentally, when trading MIRs, don't forget to check the state restrictions! It stinks to get "the small envelope" back on a rebate, stating that it is not valid in your state!
Added to OP. Thanks :) I thought that might go into the Read the fine print part, but sometimes it's helpful to have things like that pointed out specifically.

tacatcon
02-21-2009, 06:22:36 AM
up

bugface711
04-11-2009, 05:32:19 PM
moving this up

tacatcon
05-14-2009, 04:41:26 AM
up for any new TNTs

riley1319
05-17-2009, 07:02:22 AM
I really like MIRs and rarely see them at the grocery store I frequent most. Would someone be willing to give some more specific details on trading for them?

For example - There is a $10/$10 Bud MIR I'm eyeing, but I don't have a MIR the trader needs in return. So I looked at their WL. I've read the FAQs about value, but am still unsure how to proceed. Should shoot for $ for $ with qs from her WL or do I use a lesser percentage? What's the standard operating procedure?

suesaving
05-17-2009, 07:42:28 AM
Most people will trade for a form for a percentage of its value... not its face value. So like I just traded with someone for a couple of forms for $1 each plus 44 to send them to me. Some forms go for 50 cents or 75 cents or something like that.

You could trade them for coupons (you'd probably use roughly 10% face value for coupons) or stamps adding up to that value or paypal funds if you don't have another rebate to trade. Easiest thing is to find someone who has the form (or post an ISO post to let people know you are looking) and see what they would accept in exchange.

riley1319
05-17-2009, 06:56:24 PM
So it ended up she wanted to go $ for $ for her MIRs with my MIRs (that I just found today) and the face value of a q to make up a small difference. Is that typical?

Until I get the hang of trading I'd rather stick with qs, MIRs, winetags, etc. I don't want to send money, paypal or stamps quite yet.

suesaving
05-17-2009, 08:08:21 PM
Well if you are trading a MIR for a MIR then yes, I'd say that seems fair to try to trade MIRs of roughly the same value. But remember, the key is whether YOU feel you got a fair deal...

riley1319
05-18-2009, 08:48:10 AM
Well if you are trading a MIR for a MIR then yes, I'd say that seems fair to try to trade MIRs of roughly the same value. But remember, the key is whether YOU feel you got a fair deal...

My sense is that when you're trading paper for paper (qs, MIR, winetags) it's fair to shoot for $ for $. I guess the only thing that might throw that off is if one side wants qs that can be doubled/tripled in return for $1+ qs.

Thanks for the guidance!

heyaheather
05-18-2009, 11:37:55 AM
My sense is that when you're trading paper for paper (qs, MIR, winetags) it's fair to shoot for $ for $. I guess the only thing that might throw that off is if one side wants qs that can be doubled/tripled in return for $1+ qs.

Thanks for the guidance!
It really all depends on the other person's philosophy of trading and your own. Some people are very flexible and others are not. Some people treat their coupons or MIRs like gold and yours like dirt. The goal, I think, is to try and meet somewhere in between.

Don't be afraid to back out of a trade-in-progress if you think that the other person is trying to take you for a ride. Also, if someone doesn't think what you offered is fair and they say so, give them a counter offer. I've have other traders think that my 1st offer was set in stone and I wouldn't budge. In reality, I thought I had given a fair offer, but they wanted more. If they communicate that with me, then more often than not I will trade more for what I want (but not always). It's really not worth days of haggling back and forth for days most of the time.

If someone is being unreasonable, ask them why they think it's fair. If you think that they make a good point, you may consider trading more than what you initially thought.

Also remember, that there's usually more than one person that has what you're looking for. You don't have to trade with the 1st person that you find or that contacts you.

tacatcon
07-21-2009, 03:35:36 AM
up! I love rebates!!!!

tacatcon
10-07-2009, 04:36:42 AM
bump

tacatcon
12-15-2009, 05:15:12 AM
up

bugface711
04-29-2010, 08:14:13 PM
bump. rebates have such a HUUUGE impact on my budget. would love to see others have the same result form rebates. this thread should give you a few good ideas.

barbw323
06-07-2010, 03:43:10 PM
Can you tell me if a MIR states one per household if I am going to be likely to be able to get more than one rebate for that item with separate transactions/receipts?

tacatcon
06-08-2010, 05:37:17 AM
Barb-the basic answer is no
But if you have a family member in a different household nearby, willing to submit for you, you could get an extra submission that way.

Legally, they would have to submit though.

barbw323
06-08-2010, 02:37:54 PM
Tacatcon: Thanks for the info, I will trade the extras then.

rbunnymom
07-10-2010, 09:09:26 AM
:smile:

suesaving
12-28-2010, 06:36:54 PM
up

poopsinka
12-29-2010, 03:10:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I discovered MIRs last year, and they already made a huge impact on my grocery budget!

suesaving
12-29-2010, 08:13:20 PM
Fabulous! Keep at it! Depending on the state you live in, you can make a small fortune. I'm in NC (very MIR-friendly state) and I make about $1,200 a year doing rebates...