PDA

View Full Version : What helped me lose 15lbs. in June

cuzisaidso
07-03-2008, 05:35:44 AM
Just over a month ago I decided to get serious about losing weight. Years ago I had gone from 168 down to (at the lowest) 113 and settled at about 125. Over the last few years I had crept up to just over 130 then just under 140 until about 6-8 months ago when I started putting weight on faster and as of the end of May weighed 153.8.
I had started taking Paxil last August/Sept and I think that may have contributed. After reading about Wellbutrin and how it helps you to not gain weight while on it I had the doctor add that to my Paxil to kind of balance each other out. My weight gain slowed way down but, I was still inching up. That's when I got serious. Here's what I changed...

I stopped eating meat. My protein comes from almonds and other sources.
I added alot of fresh fruits and veggies.
I also was reintroduced to Morning Star Farms products and I love them now. Before I didn't like them. Even my husband loves them. He's lost 10lbs., BTW.
Absolutely no eating after 7pm. I can drink anything I want, though, as long as it's calorie free.
No more fast foods. There isn't a whole heck of alot of choice when you don't eat meat so it's not that hard to stop. If I have to eat out it's a salad.
This is all without adding any exercise at all. So, if I had added exercise there's no telling what I would have lost. Also, all of the above were huge changes for me and yet they were not that hard to adjust to.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience with all of you.I am currently at 139lbs. and would love to get below 130 again.

kim_turtle
07-03-2008, 05:48:54 AM
This is what I've been doing... eating less and exercising more... drinking more water and tea... cut out excess alcohol... running is key for me!! Hope that helps!!

SchwoomsMom
07-03-2008, 12:22:30 PM
Congratulations!! Too bad I can't follow those rules... I'd love to loose about 15-20lbs...
Good for you though. I'm glad you found something that worked.
I did loose 10 not too long ago... I cut down on my coke intake, and started eating nutripals bars (for toddlers... shhh!) but then I got stressed out, and started back drinking a 12pk a day, and picked it back up... AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH...
well, I'm not giving up my coke. It's the only thing I've got that helps with my stress. (Plus, if I don't get enough caffiene, I get horrible headaches)

Oh well.. something will work for me eventually!!

Congrats again. I know how great you must feel!
La'Ray

Mom2my3sons
07-03-2008, 12:33:00 PM
Congrats! I will never be that small, but I will get close. Here are the rules I have for wieght loss. If I follow them I will lose weight.

no eating after 8pm
no more than 2 cans of diet soda a day
Lots of water
no sugar (except those 2 sodas)
exercise 30 minutes a day
don't stuff myself at every meal, even if what I am eating is low fat/low cal

jkelstaten
07-03-2008, 12:39:54 PM
I've just started using the Wellness360 website seriously and it has really helped me. It makes me mindful throughout the day of how much I've actually taken in. Yesterday I thought I totally blew it because I ate a lot of Teddy Grahams trail mix with a Root Beer for supper and actually came in right on target.

Of course, the site doesn't work perfectly for me because there is no way to account for nursing the baby, but I aim for the "Maintain weight" calorie goal each day since nursing takes about 500 calories. In the end I'm consuming at a rate to help me lose 1 pound per week. Not super fast, but what I can manage and not freak out about. It helps it become more of a lifestyle for me than a diet.

extechy
07-03-2008, 12:40:05 PM
Congrats!

I've cut out red meat, diet sodas, and wine/alcohol. I also gave up simple carbs and I am getting 30 minutes to 1 hour of exercise 6 days each week. I've lost 10 pounds in the 3 weeks.

cuzisaidso
07-04-2008, 07:06:13 AM
Great job! I told myself that when I lost 10lbs. I'd give mysedlf a treat but, I couldn't bring myself to do it. LOL

XUfan
07-04-2008, 07:10:28 AM
Wow!!! Great job!!

I got all excited when I read the title to this thread! I thought I'd finally found the answer to my prayers. But...
I haven't eaten meat in 7 years (allergy), I live on fruits, veggies and Morningstar Farms, and I can't afford to eat fast food (haven't had it in close to 2 years). Guess there's something else causing me to be fat! LOL!!

Honestly, I'm impressed!! You're an inspiration!

cuzisaidso
07-04-2008, 07:12:18 AM
Thank you! And thanks for posting here since I know it's a challenge with the spaces and such not working right for you. :)

4vaughns
07-04-2008, 08:34:52 AM
That is awesome. I have to admit I'm jealous, of both your weight loss and your will power. Great work. Now come to my house and keep me from eating junk food... please? :giggle2:

cheynesnana
07-04-2008, 02:07:50 PM
:BigHand: Great Job !!! I need to get my rear in gear and lose some too.. would like to be back around 130 also...

cuzisaidso
07-04-2008, 08:28:21 PM
Hubby made inside-out burgers (http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/inside-out-bacon-cheeseburgers-92173.aspx)today so I stayed away. LOL

cuzisaidso
07-25-2008, 06:54:40 AM
I wanted to update that I am now at 19lbs. lost and weigh 134.8.

Still not eating meat. Not eating as many fresh fruits and veggies as I was but, still doing well.

Tiffany
07-25-2008, 07:13:19 AM
Congrats!

I lost about 15 lbs. a month ago (have a ton more to lose) by cutting out the junk food and walking 30 mins., 3-4 days a week.

I keep losing my momentum and need to get back on track!

What kids of things do you eat? I always need good ideas.
My fave when I need a chocolate fix is sugar free/fat free cheesecake pudding with sf/ff chocolate pudding layered on top and a little fat free cool whip tops it off. It's so good, especially since its all sf/ff.

spots03
07-25-2008, 09:30:32 AM
I to have been thinking hard about losing weight. I would love to loose 40lbs. my May also my 40th B-day. The problem is I LOVE FOOD! I go back to work (in a school) in a few weeks so it will be hard. Just getting in the mind set and stick to it 5 lbs a month I CAN DO IT! Good luck to everyone.

JANE4girls
07-25-2008, 01:18:46 PM
wow! way to go....I could stand to lose 20-25 lbs easily. I was walking at night with my neighbors, but when the dog died, I kinda stopped...not a good excuse I know.

I don't drink soda, but have to have my cup of coffee with sugar and cream every day. We hardly ever eat out...but really don't eat enough fruits and veggies (darn budget, lol)

one yummy treat I like to have is 1/2 cup ricotta cheese mixed with 2 TBS chocolate syrup. you get your chocolate fix and it is high in protein too!

mommybdj
07-25-2008, 02:21:31 PM
I to have started to loose weight. I have started by doin this and have lost 10lbs so far(mind you with alot more to go). My goal is 40-50lbs by my birthday in December. here is what I have done.

I have first and formost stopped calling it a diet and changed it to healthy living, I have done a detox and a colon cleanse(you would be surprise how much weight we carrry just in our colon). I eat fresh fruits and veggies(mostly organic, i get it from a organic co-op, trying to cut out meat(that is a hard one for me), and I drink one soda a day and trying to cut that out. Lots and lots of water. and exercise, walking as much as i can. I visit a site called www.hacres.com (http://www.hacres.com) that has helped me and my family out tramindiously. If I go anywhere or go to work I try to pack a small cooler of fresh cut fruit and veggies and eat that for lunch. No iceburg lettace, I eat romaine or spinach(that took alot stomach, I have cut way down on cooked and processed foods, and I have started juicing.

Ok Ok enough of me going on and on.

mom2fiveaz
09-11-2008, 03:27:10 PM
A friend of mine introduced me to MLis it's a detox program. I bought a kit for my husband but I'm doing the program with him to make it easier. Eventually we hope to be on whole foods only...makes couponing difficult (refined sugars and flours/dairy/processed foods are eliminated and toxins are expelled). The kit includes the dextox/cleanse/fiber capsules that are taken twice day. Calcium supplements, Flaxseed oil, daily vitamins, and exercise (daily walking) are recommended. I've also started our family on Rice and Almond milk; I'm still trying to figure the balance of vitamins for the kids so that they aren't robbed of essential nutrients.
Here's the plan:
Day 1 Fruits/Veggies/Whole Grains & 2qts Distilled water
Day 2 same
Day 3 4 5 Lemon/Maple Syrup
Day 6 Fruits/Veggies 2qts Distilled water
Day 7 Fruits/Veggies/Grains 2qts Distilled water
Day 8 Fruits/Veggies/Grains/Yogurt/Lean Protein 2qts Distilled water
Day 9 Same
Day 10 Same/Add Nuts 2qts Distilled water
Thereafter continue eating the healthy foods. I'll let you all know how it goes we just started today.

mom2fiveaz
09-11-2008, 03:29:07 PM
I have first and formost stopped calling it a diet and changed it to healthy living, I have done a detox and a colon cleanse(you would be surprise how much weight we carrry just in our colon). I eat fresh fruits and veggies(mostly organic, i get it from a organic co-op, trying to cut out meat(that is a hard one for me), and I drink one soda a day and trying to cut that out. Lots and lots of water. and exercise, walking as much as i can.

This sounds somewhat familiar with what we are starting and yes, it's true about the colon! Good luck!

extechy
09-11-2008, 04:29:08 PM
A friend of mine introduced me to MLis it's a detox program. I bought a kit for my husband but I'm doing the program with him to make it easier. Eventually we hope to be on whole foods only...makes couponing difficult (refined sugars and flours/dairy/processed foods are eliminated and toxins are expelled). The kit includes the dextox/cleanse/fiber capsules that are taken twice day. Calcium supplements, Flaxseed oil, daily vitamins, and exercise (daily walking) are recommended. I've also started our family on Rice and Almond milk; I'm still trying to figure the balance of vitamins for the kids so that they aren't robbed of essential nutrients.
Here's the plan:
Day 1 Fruits/Veggies/Whole Grains & 2qts Distilled water
Day 2 same
Day 3 4 5 Lemon/Maple Syrup
Day 6 Fruits/Veggies 2qts Distilled water
Day 7 Fruits/Veggies/Grains 2qts Distilled water
Day 8 Fruits/Veggies/Grains/Yogurt/Lean Protein 2qts Distilled water
Day 9 Same
Day 10 Same/Add Nuts 2qts Distilled water
Thereafter continue eating the healthy foods. I'll let you all know how it goes we just started today.

I've actually read up on a diet similar to this, sans the fruit, grains, veggies, nuts, protein, and yogurt. Yep, just distilled water, lemon water, non-iodized salt, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper. :whistle:

I'm down another 10 from my last post. One thing that is helping me is I found a web tool called The Daily Plate. You enter in all your food and exercise and it lets you know how many calories you can eat in order to lose X number of pounds each week. The website itself is closed to new accounts but you can sign up for a free account at livestrong.com. Any, and I do mean any, food you eat is in their database. Even store brand items. This is excellent for most diets, especially calorie and carb counters.

For everyone without a lot of time to go out and exercise, Leslie Sansone's walking DVDs are wonderful. My youngest daughter will even do it with me on most days. You can walk at least 1-4 miles, depending on the workout you choose.

cuzisaidso
09-11-2008, 05:59:55 PM
Congrats on losing 10 more pounds! I'm sitting at about 22 pounds lost total and just trying to maintain it.

extechy
09-11-2008, 06:13:00 PM
Congrats on losing 10 more pounds! I'm sitting at about 22 pounds lost total and just trying to maintain it.

I'm about at maintenance, too. I think I may be working out too hard for the number of calories I'm eating. I'm going to try something new next week.

Congrats on the no meat way of eating. I tried that a couple times because I do feel better in some aspects. However, I battle chronic anemia and accepted a long time ago that I may not be made to be a vegan. Well, my doctor first told me as much and I've since agreed with her. I will say one thing for that way of life, though.

I challenge anyone to completely cut out meat. At the very least, go organic meats. The first 4-6 days, you will feel awful. Afterwards, you'll feel great.

That just goes to show how much is added to our meat supply. You actually have to detox off the additives, hormones, and preservatives that are added to our animal protein sources. I like animals but I'm not a big animal/pet person. My experiences are purely from personal and physical experiences.