PDA

View Full Version : Going on 48 hours smoke free & going CRAZY!

ajproo
04-21-2008, 05:08:16 PM
My DH and I have been smoking for 15 years. The only time I have ever quit was when I got pregnant w/ our daughter. It seemed much easier then because all I wanted was a healthy baby. Then i foolishly picked up the habit again when she was one. My DH has not stopped once during the 15 years. We both decided it was time to quit and made a quit date ( April 19, 2008). We started Wellbutrin a week before. We had our last smoke Saturday night at 11pm. Then we threw away all ashtrays and smokes. Sunday was VERY hard for me, I just wanted to sleep all day. When I wasn't sleeping all i could do was think about smoking. My DH did pretty good the first day.
Today is our second day, not as bad as yesterday for me. But my DH had a bad craving this afternoon. He was on the verge of smoking. So I went to CVS and bought Nicorette gum and it totally helped him. But I know we have a long & challenging road ahead. So if any one has any advice or encouraging words, please send them our way.:rolleyes24:

Teens&Tots
04-21-2008, 06:20:54 PM
I've never smoked but I applaud your efforts - keep your eye on the prize, a healthier you and dh and a healthier environment for your baby - oh, and try not to pick up a replacement habit:| I've been junk food eating my way through life....

I'll add you to my prayers - they say after 21 days you've created a habit, let's hope the reverse it true and you only have 19 more to go!!!!!

One last thing - pick a date in the future and set that as your goal, then treat yourselves when you hit that and haven't smoked - think of something GREAT that you would look forward too - you can afford it now that you aren't spending money on ciggys!!!!!!!

MamaVader
04-21-2008, 06:31:50 PM
Hi there, all I can say is just hang in there. I quit smoking 21 years ago, after smoking for 10 years. It really DOES get easier with time. And then it gets a LOT easier. You just have to hang on thru the rough patches. Good luck. :)

arose304
04-21-2008, 06:35:02 PM
I am happy for you and hope you the best of luck! I really hope you can do it.

meems
04-21-2008, 06:37:15 PM
I'm at 14 months now..but I cheated ...I used chantix to quit & picked up nicotrol inahlers at a rough patch about 6 weeks quit..I still have smoking dreams.

Chrissykin
04-21-2008, 06:41:46 PM
You can do it! I am three months smoke free today!!! After 31 years of smoking I never thought I could do it.

Keep it up it does get easier.

terrortoys
04-21-2008, 06:45:47 PM
My g-mas is in her 70s and smoked most of her life.. she quit about 2-3 years ago useing totsie roll and dum dum suckers.. when she got the urge to smoke or to have somethin in her hand, she would just suck on the sucker.. worked like a charm..

sbp
04-21-2008, 06:54:45 PM
Good luck to you!!! Hang in there!!!

Dh quit last June using chantix. He went through a couple of boxes of toothpicks, just so he'd have something in his mouth when he really wanted a ciggy.

maree_strawberry
04-21-2008, 06:59:01 PM
Good luck to you!!! Hang in there!!!

Dh quit last June using chantix. He went through a couple of boxes of toothpicks, just so he'd have something in his mouth when he really wanted a ciggy.

You can also substitute straws. Just cut them in half.

YouPdWhat
04-21-2008, 07:18:40 PM
Drink lots & lots of water as it helps to wash the toxins from your body. Also exercising as it helps to sweat it out. Good luck.

chitownmelli
04-21-2008, 07:32:38 PM
We quit in December, and it was very helpful to post our progress here on HCW, everyone was very helpful, and it does help to think that there are other people who are pulling for you to meet your goal! Hang in there - speaking from the recent experience, I have to say that the first couple of weeks really were the worse, and it got better from there. Congrats by the way, on your decision to stop smoking!

ajproo
04-21-2008, 08:21:37 PM
I would like to say thank you so much to everyone who responded to my first post. Your encouraging words, prayers and tips mean so much to me. I have been fighting the urge for the past 3 hours, not to smoke. But to have a peice of Nicorette gum. I know some people have a lot of sucsess with it. But I don't want to replace cigarettes w/ nicotene gum. I have been eating Dum-Dum's and Trident like they are going out of style. In the chat room earlier someone told me about the straws. I will give it a try. My problem is not eating all the junk food in sight just because i am depressed. But like my sister told me today, its a lot easier to shed a few extra pounds than it is to deal with lung cancer. I will post again in the morning. Thanks everyone, I can always count on you all here on HCW to help out with anything and everything under the sun!

beckymik
04-21-2008, 08:43:49 PM
:BigHand::dance3::dance43::hd2::dance16::dance43:

You are awesome! It is so hard to quit, but stay quit, you can and will do it.

I am at http://www.quitmeter.com/Year=2008&Month=0&Day=14&Time=8%3A30+PM&Zone=14&Cigarettes=14&Periodicity=1&Price=4.25&Currency=%24&Perpack=20&Template=ELAPSED+since+quitting.+CIGARETTES+cigare ttes+not+smoked.+%24SAVED+saved.&backgroundcolor=%23000000&textcolor=%23FFFFFF&fontsize=12&fontname=a010015l.pfb&wrapcolumn=0&antialias=16&alignment=left&Transparent=/graph.png (http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vd3d3LnF1aXRtZXRlci5jb20=)

Yay

Do you go to quitnet.com at all ?

ajproo
04-22-2008, 02:19:28 PM
:excited2:Thanks everyone for the support. We are on day 3 and still going crazy. We both have appointments Friday for Hypnotherapy!!! I can't wait:BigHand: . The Hypnotherapist said this one session has a lifetime guarantee that we will NEVER smoke again. Best of all insurance covers it 100%!! Well I got to make a Walgreens run to get some more Dum-Dum pops, my replacement for smoking. Hope everyone is having a great shopping day!

MrsPinecone
04-22-2008, 03:05:05 PM
Good luck!!! You can do it!

I quit when I got pregnant with the Pinenut. DH FINALLY quit in January. We had both smoked for quite a while.

megareader
04-22-2008, 03:40:29 PM
I have a question...what does Wellbutrin have to do with quitting smoking? Isn't it an anti-depressant?

meems
04-22-2008, 06:15:25 PM
Hypnotherapy, LOL..I smoked on my way to my car after mine. But hey, it's free at least!

Momtwo
04-22-2008, 06:34:10 PM
I smoked for 30 years. Hypnoptherapy did not work! Nothing worked except going cold turkey and NOT drinking or eating sugar. It seemed verytime I ate candy or cookies or drank soda the urges for cigarettes were worse. Drink lots of water, exercise when you feel like smoking or just come on here for support.

You CAN DO IT! I have been quit 6 years now!

andi6
04-22-2008, 07:02:26 PM
It's been almost 10 months since I quit (8 for my husband) after 25 years of smoking. I too, quit during my pregnancies and quite a few time in between. This time it's for real!! I used Chantix and even though I drank coffee before, it has become my saving grace. Even if it's only a sip or two I drink it during those "I want a cigarette moments". When I go shopping I always have a travel cup in the van so when I get in I have a sip instead of lighting up. I can go days now without even thinking of smoking, but every once in a while, WOW, it still hits me. I really recommend the Chantix. I never could have quit without it! Remember - You are giving up nothing!! You are FREE from cigarettes!! You can do it!!

mom2Isaac
04-22-2008, 07:23:18 PM
I have been smoking on and off since I was 15, and I finally quit in December once and for all. I saw how my health was going down the gutter, and to be honest with you I really don't crave them at all.

Be strong and fight through it. Good luck and hugs!:smile:

TSUalum93
06-01-2008, 04:14:38 AM
I offficially quit on Tuesday morning of last week when I smoked the half of a cigarette I had in the ashtray. I quit once before after having my son. Yes, I admit it. I smoked while I was preganant because I did not know I was pregnant and found out at 33 weeks. I have no cycle and never got morning sickness or anything else. I spent a week in the hospital because it took 3 days to finally get him out and then I ended up with a c-section. I did not smoke while in the hospital and I quit for 6 months after I got home.

I went to a surgeon for a consult and if I am going to have possible surgery over the summer they said I need to be smoke free for at least 30 days.

I guess my guilt is that I never really tried to quit for my son or all the times my husband begged me . . . But now I am doing it to have this surgery.

I know it doesn't matter why but that I quit. I am fine without the tabacco. What I miss are the social aspects and they physicality of actually lighting up.

Good luck to all those who quit.

Maddy

Selenasmommy
06-17-2008, 10:28:53 AM
I'm trying so hard to quit!!!

oceanbreeze
06-17-2008, 11:01:20 AM
you can do it. I smoked for almost 14 yrs but decided to quit for my then Fiance (now DH) because he never smoked and also b/c his father had lung cancer and almost died.

I went cold turkey b/c the patch never helped in the long run for me.

Sucked down tons of lifesavers & hard candies while i was quitting to keep my hands busy and mouth entertained ... hey hard candy is better than eating regular food (so no weight gain) but the first week is the hardest. Just stick with it. you can do this!!