This week our Bountiful Basket contained 2 nice eggplants and so went off on the hunt for a lovely recipe to use them up. Eggplant Parmesan was what immediately came to mine but then I saw this recipe to take your leftovers and turn them into a yummy eggplant parmesan panini sandwich. Well I knew with a family of 6 there wasn’t going to be leftovers so the family took a vote and we decided to just make the panini . This recipe appears to be a great recipe to get the entire family involved too. As the kids can do things like dipping the eggplant in the egg and breadcrumb mixture. So this afternoon the kids and I will be making the eggplant parmesan and then when my husband gets home from work we will turn them into panini. I can’t wait!
So what’s for dinner tonight? Eggplant Parmesan Panini
[pullquote align="right"]More Dinner Ideas!
- Pizza Ree-a (Bruschetta Pizza) – It’s What’s For Dinner!
- Stuffed Taco Bell Peppers: It’s What’s For Dinner!
- Chicken, Spinach and Cannellini Bean Quesadillas – It’s What’s For Dinner!
- Layered Chicken Taco Salad – It’s What’s For Dinner!
- Ground Beef Hobo Stew – It’s What’s For Dinner!
Nothing in this recipe is super expensive. It is summer the height of eggplant season. You could be growing it in your garden, finding it at your local grocery store or farmers market. And then of course you need a way to make your panini.
Option #1 – use a heavy skillet or a brick (wrapped in aluminum foil) to weight your sandwich.
Option #2 – use a Panini press. I already own this lovely Cuisinart Panini Press which I adore and use all the time. This particular model allows me to make any type of panini sandwich I want plus we can use it to “grill” meats and veggies indoors too.
- Use the recipe for Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 Loaf Chicago Style Bread (Using as many slices as you need for sandwiches)
- Several Slices of Mozzarella Cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons of butter
- 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce for dipping
- 2-4 fresh basil leaves
For the full recipe and directions please head on over to New South Food Company!
What is on your menu plan for dinner tonight? Leave us a comment below and share. Links to yummy recipes are welcome too!